Awoo.

Super Mario Maker 2 - Electric Slopealoo (June 2019)

Ryannumber1gamer

Oh my GOD FINALLY.

SLOPES! PLAYABLE LUIGI! I have been waiting TOO LONG for this! And it's got a lot of new themes too, so it looks like they've got a lot more surprises for Mario Maker up their sleeves. 3D World being  the biggest surprise here thus far, I guess they're pulling off what they did for the NSMBU theme by making everything 2D?

Still I cannot WAIT for this game, it's literally everything I've been asking for!

• Thumbs Up 2

I see they've added two more things I was hoping for: Colored Yoshis (With their Mario World powers) and Boom Boom! Now I just need Koopalings and more level tropes, and I'm good to go!

But seriously- The fact that they've implemented 3D World into this just blew my mind! Hopefully we'll get a proper online system instead of that Streetpass tripe from the 3DS port.

• Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, Forte-Metallix said:

I see they've added two more things I was hoping for: Colored Yoshis (With their Mario World powers) and Boom Boom! Now I just need Koopalings and more level tropes, and I'm good to go!

But seriously- The fact that they've implemented 3D World into this just blew my mind! Hopefully we'll get a proper online system instead of that Streetpass tripe from the 3DS port.

This will make or break the game for me. A big reason I found level-creation appealing in Mario Maker 1 was because how interconnected it was, and how others could comment on your levels, give tips, give feedback, and show where they died and such. As soon as Miiverse died, and 3DS was announced to not have that connectivity, it murdered the experience for me more or less.

• Thumbs Up 2

3DS Mario Maker struck me as more of a budget option, so I wasn't surprised overall that they utterly neutered the online.

This though? This looks like they're pulling out all the stops, and I'd be bloody floored if it had no online whatsoever. 

• Thumbs Up 2

2 minutes ago, Sonictrainer said:

Here's some text and textless wallpaper

32144882557_863759cd1d_b.jpg

You can add karts? That alone opens a floodgate of possibilities.

And Toadette's playable, too?! Man, she's getting all over the place lately.

• Nice Smile 1

My one disappointment is that there still doesn't seem to be any SMB2 content. Still, this looks like a well-needed update, so I'm in.

• Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

I wonder if this means Co-Op levels are gonna be a thing now.

H-h-h-how though? It seems pretty simple, but I guess those levels wouldn't be allowed Online.

26 minutes ago, StaticMania said:

H-h-h-how though? It seems pretty simple, but I guess those levels wouldn't be allowed Online.

Why would that be? Just don't load co-op levels if you're playing solo. =V

This sounds great and all but I have a few concerns. Great we got slopes and new level themes like Desert, Ice and Forest.

Looking at the footage of say the Overground level from Super Mario World, it uses the same background as the version from the first Super Mario Maker. Normal overground levels in Super Mario World had a variaty of different backgrounds. Combine that with changing the colour palletes of the background and ground and you result in no 2 levels in the game look exactly the same. That was one of the many great things about that game. Think of Star World 2, an underwater level with a garrish green tileset.

For more variety that I don't know yet, is the ability to swap out level music. Again something that was present in the classic games. Forest levels are common place in Mario games since SMW, but I think the one Forest level in SMB3 (World 8-1) used the games Underground music, same with the very next level, the Desert level at night time. Other examples are SMW's Star World 1, an Underground level with Overground music.

If this game has those features on top of what we can already tell, this would be absolutely perfect.

this game has become progressively more awesome in a single day.

initial reveal: oh, cool! an update to my favorite wii u game! how nice! the 3D world skin looks neat!

now:

GIVE ME THIS GODLY GAME RIGHT NOW

(also, here's the box art in case anyone cares)

DzUgKi2WoAEs6Gq.jpg

• Way Past Cool 1

They're introducing so much new stuff! Just thinking of all the amazing new level possibilities has me salivating. I bought the original game for like, 20 bucks, but thinking of the infinite number of amazing levels people are going to come up with, I will gladly pay $60 for this.

Slopes alone are going to be an insane game changer, but then you throw in 3D stuff like the cat suit and clear pipes...seriously, SO MANY POSSIBILITIES.

I wonder how much they have to reveal left.
Hopefully, they didn't spoil half the features in just this trailer, and they have a lot more in store. I hope for customization in things the most.
I also hope for more regular updates, because we rarely got that in SMM1.

• Thumbs Up 1

Slopes, desert, ice and forest levels? They added in all the things I hoped for! Plus more characters! I never owned a Wii U so I got stuck playing the 3DS version of the original. Can't wait till June for this!

• Thumbs Up 2

37 minutes ago, Shaun Shikeishuu said:

Slopes, desert, ice and forest levels? They added in all the things I hoped for! Plus more characters! I never owned a Wii U so I got stuck playing the 3DS version of the original. Can't wait till June for this!

They also have space levels as well(near the end where Mario's in the fire Clown Car facing a giant Bowser). That's pretty neat.

• Thumbs Up 4

I love the memes that come out of any Nintendo Direct (minus Bowsette, of course). This meme is one I use whenever I see unfair whining about any game anywhere:

Spoiler

13875D1E-AE66-420A-8F52-7EEB43A276AD.jpeg.7461422f39810de1d11ab6e0b9372aa1.jpeg

• Chuckle 1

19 hours ago, Stritix said:

Perhaps they will reveal fully 3D levels at a later date to give the game a push.

Extremely doubtful, that would be like making an entirely different game, like, for the developers.  Very VERY little would be shared between 2D and 3D editors in terms of the content they'd have to make/program -  it would be as much work as if they also just threw in a Mario Kart track editor too.

• Thumbs Up 5

4 hours ago, JezMM said:

just threw in a Mario Kart track editor too.

To be honest, given LBP Karting did it like 6 years ago, I'm surprised Nintendo haven't had a crack at race track creation.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm either 100% going to get it or 0%, it all depends on if amiibo support is in play.  I don't like Mario that much anymore, but the idea of level creation with other characters and exploring the possibilities of having Sonic, Pac-Man, Mega-Man, Samus, Link, Kirby and many others plus new amiibo will be awesome.  Since it appears that there may be an option for multiple players, they could throw in stage elements and/or extra characters based on series that have amiibo this time around as it is still early into the Switch's lifespan while the Wii U was already having patents being filed for it's replacement.  Add in a music maker that you don't to trigger by touching specific parts of the platforms and tis game would be god tier imo.   I would be fine with just amiibo support, though.

• 2 months later...

Release date trailer:

And a stylus if you pre-order:

Looks a bit big, but a nice bonus, nonetheless.