Awoo.

Super Mario Maker 2 - Electric Slopealoo (June 2019)

Ryannumber1gamer

• 2 weeks later...

With the release being merely hours away, it's a given that some places would break it's street date one way or another. So people looked in and found a few more little surprises going through the game. 

Of course there's a supposed embargo on showing off this hidden content and others until the actual release, but let's face it. Most big spoiling Youtubers on there are practically immune to that stuff at this. So I'll just go ahead and post the supposed "offending" videos since they don't appear to be going anywhere before the game releases soon. 

Take a peak if you'd like-

Spoiler

Two New Powerups-

The Superball Flower is back! It comes with sounds and the iconic Birabuto theme that overrides the current music (which appears to have gotten a NES-ified remix curtosty of Koji Kondo himself). I'm glad they thought of this; it'll make up for them removing the Amiibo costumes and Weird Mushroom and'll make the SMB theme unique from the others again.

And the new, constantly teased Hammer powerup that puts Mario's builder outfit into the actual game. It comes with two moves: As opposed to repetitively swinging it around like mad as in Donkey Kong or Captain Toad, you swing your trusty little mallet on command, more akin to Paper Mario and M&L. This melee attack can smash through hard block and can even destroy the mighty Thwomp. Or, you can hold the up and hammer buttons to produce your own builder blocks to help reach high places and clog up some hazards. This looks pretty cool, and exactly the kind of "bridging the playing and building aspects" idea I've imagined a Builder Mario would play like in a regular platformer. 

Edit- Now with Gamexplain's videos now that it's out

Made my first stage in Mario Maker 2, would really appreciate it if anyone could play and give feedback. 

Mega Man - Guts Man Stage - HGJ-9LT-HYF 

• Thumbs Up 2

My second level, if anyone would like a try - much more challenging than the first, and took a hell of a lot longer to make, but I think it came out really well. There's also two secrets hidden in it.

Mega Man - Cut Man - Course ID: WX8-MDQ-LFG

• Thumbs Up 1

-Getting towards the end of the Level

-See the Goal Pole

-Magikoopa appears and turns the Goal Pole into a Coin

tumblr_inline_orpi46hJ121snvdw1_540.png

• Chuckle 4

Got two ready to go. First one is Hangar Timing [6QQ-5JR-XDF], which is a recreation of one of my old Maker 1 courses mostly redone to turn it into a stage of timing and not a shooter. The second is Snow Jumper [QNC-JFV-R1G] which is a simple course of timing jumps that can easily be beaten in less than a minute.

I've also been playing some courses from others, which have included a recreation of Mario 1's 1-1 and 1-2 together with a flying Meowser chasing you, a real hard precision jumping stage set in an ice cavern, and a walking simulator that treats you to a lovely rendition of Country Roads.

It's absolutely great.

Made a couple of pretty simplistic levels:

Chill Bully's Four Trials: RLB-J50-1XG 

Superballs at Sundown: TWQ-4KP-62G 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 6/28/2019 at 4:20 PM, Ryannumber1gamer said:

Made my first stage in Mario Maker 2, would really appreciate it if anyone could play and give feedback. 

Mega Man - Guts Man Stage - HGJ-9LT-HYF 

I tries it out. It's good. Had one question though. The part after you enter the warp pipe with the lakitus. Did you mean to have no direction where to go? What I mean by that was I thought at first that we need to kill the bottom lakitu to get its cloud and go up. I was kind of unsure if to fall. Loved the sumo bros and big Boom Boom i guess those where gutsman challenges

Just now, Tails spin said:

I tries it out. It's good. Had one question though. The part after you enter the warp pipe with the lakitus. Did you mean to have no direction where to go? What I mean by that was I thought at first that we need to kill the bottom lakitu to get its cloud and go up. I was kind of unsure if to fall. Loved the sumo bros and big Boom Boom i guess those where gutsman challenges

It's the level design of the stage, Guts Man's level takes Mega Man down a ladder, and into three dividing paths, all leading to the bottom which will take you to Guts Man's fight. The Laikus aren't there for their clouds, but rather are the closest thing to the flying homing enemies that attack Mega Man during that portion of the level.

So made my first level. Surprised I finished this one quick. My airship level in Super Mario Maker 3ds is still not complete. Did a jungle forest theme like one i did for the 3ds Mario Vs Donkey kong tipping stars.

It's hopefully an ongoing series. Making it like a stranded Island theme for the first world. It's my first level but I labeled it world 1-5 cuz it will be the fifth level in game.

Please any suggestions are welcomed. The underwater section is auto scrolled and if you see randomly new enemies towards the end its cuz I discovered how to toggle the enemy and terrain menus.

World 1-5 pirhana lagoon

Course ID: CQ3-231-7TG

• 2 months later...

Super Mario Maker 2’s online multiplayer finally has the option to play with friends! About time, I’d say. 

You can also use button controls when creating courses in Handheld mode now.

• Thumbs Up 2

I'm so excited. This is the main thing I was looking forward to: Playing Mario online with friends!

• Thumbs Up 1

Took them long enough. With all the time it took for them to get the update out, I was expecting them to add something worthwhile  that would make me want to pick this game up again.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 months later...

Very impressive update for the course obstacle additions alone.

Also The fact that Link isn’t just a skin this time and actually retains his abilities from the Zelda Series to use like the sword/shield/bomb/arrow is very neat! 

• Thumbs Up 1

Link is really cool and fun to play as, but it IS a bit annoying that he's treated as a power-up, like the amiibo costumes in SMM1.  It means that if you want to design a course where Link abilities are mandatory, you have to choose between making him a 1-hit kill where getting hit means starting over, OR you have to constantly provide pipes with respawning Master Swords.  Both of these are pretty unelegant compared to typical official Mario course design, and one enforces a higher difficulty while the other enforces a lower difficulty.

Glad they included a few pieces of music for him though rather than just playing the main theme everywhere like Superball Mario does.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 4 months later...

One last Update comes

The Super Mario Maker 2 game allows you to unleash your creativity with more new options and the ability to create your own world map. A free update to Super Mario Maker 2 for the Nintendo Switch system adds a new World Maker mode, as well as a host of new content and features on April 22.

In World Maker mode, multiple courses created by a user can be tied together on a path from the starting point on a world map to the end castle. The look of the world map can also be customized. Up to eight worlds containing a total of up to 40 courses can be combined, creating a mini Super Mario game that can be shared* with others.

In addition to World Maker, guess who else is making an appearance in Super Mario Maker 2? The Koopalings! All seven of these troublemakers, each with his or her own movement pattern, can be added to user-created courses. Other enemies added to the game include the key-chasing Phanto and the wind-up Mechakoopas.

Additional power-ups and course parts are also coming to Super Mario Maker 2 as part of the free update. This includes the SMB2 Mushroom, which transforms Mario and friends into their look from the Super Mario Bros. 2 game and allows them to pick up and throw items and enemies – just like in that classic game! With the Frog Suit from the Super Mario Bros. 3 game, Mario can swim through water with ease, and even run across its surface! Other power-ups added to the game are the Power Balloon first introduced in the Super Mario World game, the Super Acorn from the New Super Mario Bros. U game and the Boomerang Flower from Super Mario 3D World. There are also five variations for wearables like the Cannon Box and Propeller Box from the Super Mario 3D World game.

All of this and more can be experienced by downloading the free update on April 22. For more information about Super Mario Maker 2, visit https://supermariomaker.nintendo.com/ 

*Nintendo Switch Online membership (sold separately) and Nintendo Account required for online features. Not available in all countries. Internet access required for online features. Terms apply. nintendo.com/switch-online 

I was NOT expecting them to essentially let make your own game. Whenever I imagined a world map feature I assumed it'd be restricted to one world of like six courses or something, which still would have been cool, but wow.

Kind of a shame the "other game styles" turned out to be "other game...style." Other than that, honestly, the only thing I can think of that'll still be missing (aside from a few classic enemies that would be nice to see) is an ice flower power up...I've been expecting that since MM2 was announced. :pensive:

• Thumbs Up 1

This is cool and all, but I won't lie, I really really wish they'd gotten Mystery Mushrooms in before they stopped doing updates for the game.

• Thumbs Up 2

2 hours ago, Celestia said:

...is an ice flower power up...I've been expecting that since MM2 was announced.

The main function of an Ice Power is already served by the builder power up and they really want to let each theme have its own exclusive power type I guess.

People want the Penguin suit, but...the frog suit now already exists for the better swimming control power (and took its ability to "run" on water), so all it has is a slide on Ice.

• Thumbs Up 1

I never owned the game but holy shit, I might honestly try it out if Nintendo does a free trial for it on Switch Online. (Or if I get a gift card that is literally the game's price but I know that won't happen due to... you know.)