Awoo.

The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (Nintendo Switch, 2019)

RosaRosaRosalina

Its decent. Not a 60 dollar game but more a eshop looking one. After botw it will be hard to top that open world gameplay I guess. This will be decent. This chibi wood doll look is....different

Link's Awakening is my second favorite Zelda game after Majora's Mask.

I'm hyped about this remake and I think I'll buy it.

About the art style... I was expecting that hand drawn Zelda title too, but sadly it's not. Anyway, while I'm still not convinced about the cute art style (as other people have said, it's nice but it doesn't really match the game's original atmosphere), I'll give it a chance... I want to see how they did those key moments of the story before judging the art-style.

I waould have prefered an HD version of ALBW's art style as well, though I'm glad that they didn't use Toon Link.

As someone who disliked Breath of the Wild because it bored and frustrated the heck out of me, this is something that I really needed.

6 hours ago, FFWF said:

There was a period where Miyamoto repeatedly mentioned wanting to remake LttP using the 3D capabilities of the 3DS, and it's very obvious that they started making one but ended up turning it into ALBW instead - a game which is still indistinguishable from a LttP remake in quite a few areas.  As far as I'm concerned, that remake's already happened.

There was something completely unrelated to the graphics which I meant to bring up, though.  So far the game looks like a very literal remake of LA, right down to the original tile placement - but there are a couple of things which I part-wonder and part-hope will be changed:

Secret Seashells:

Reveal hidden contents

In the original, there were, unusually, quite a few more Secret Seashells than you actually needed to get the Seashell Sword.  I could see them refining it down to a set number.

Missable Content:

Reveal hidden contents

Quite a few of the photographs are missable - a bunch of Marin ones, the one in front of Kanalet Castle drawbridge...  I think you could rejig things so that you can go back and get these, but given that the photo mode was introduced I think for a GameBoy Printer accessorry, I wouldn't be surprised if they just cut it out entirely and replace it with something new or a screenshot mode or something.

There's also at least one, maybe more chests which you can only get with the Flying Rooster, which again you only have access to for a limited time.  I could see them either giving you free access to the Flying Rooster for the remainder of the game... or just cutting out the missable stuff, which wasn't even anything special.

Colour Dungeon:

Reveal hidden contents

The Colour Dungeon was basically just a bonus to show off the capabilities of the GBC, and the further you go from those origins the less relevant it looks.  I'd be happy if they replaced it with an entirely new bonus dungeon, though if it's the original or nothing then obviously I'd pick the original.

Cameos:

Reveal hidden contents

Well, Goombas and Bow-Wow the Chain Chomp are still in, at least, but what about Wart, Anti-Kirby, Prince Richard?  More to the point - could they end up adding more cameos?

Spoiler

-I hope they don't touch the seashells thing,  I think that it was a nice anti-frustration idea, and I wish more games would use this concept. Especially Breath of the Wild and the Korok quest. If anything, make it so that as you reach the correct amount, the remaining ones disappear from the map. I think that having more collectables than required rewards the more skilled players as they will be able to obtain the prize before the others, because they'll find more of them.

-Yes I hope they do something for the missable content, I hate games that require you to restart a save only to get something that you missed, regardless of how important it is.

-I wouldn't mind the original color dungeon; after all, Link always had the blue and red tunics, so who cares if the reference to the Gameboy Color screen makes no sense anymore.

-I can't wait to see how they did the cameos in the remake.

• Thumbs Up 2

This looks like and sounds like a Nintendoland  game. Like one of the attractions you'd play with its distinctly toy like asthetic. That's what I get from this. Might warm up to it but for now I'm just kinda put off 

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm a bit disappointed this isn't using A Link Between Worlds' art style all the way through when the cutscene and promotional art are going for that look. Everything's plastic-y looking and I don't know how to feel about that.

I've been meaning to play Link's Awakening forever, and even have the GBC version downloaded on my 2DS, so one way or the other I'll check it out.

Links Awakening to this day is still my favourite Zelda game. Seeing this topic got me excited; seeing the footage killed that instantly. Just stop with all the cutesy shit already. 

1 hour ago, Stasis said:

Just stop with all the cutesy shit already. 

What is this referring to with Zelda? The last few games weren't cutesy.

BOTW was not really cutesy. Though Zelda did have a cute bottom :p. I am hoping for a BOTW sequel one day. That game is the pinnacle of zelda games.

There are positive sides about the toy-like art style: if they went more realistic with this game, they would have probably removed that funny scene, this way instead there's a possibility they kept it.

Spoiler

"You got Marin! Ta da da daaaaa!" and you get her as if she was an item.

On 2/14/2019 at 12:12 AM, Diogenes said:

Remember: everyone that complained about WW's look was dead fucking wrong.

I won't say the sudden change in style didn't catch me off guard, but I don't dislike it. It's cute, it's a pretty faithful updating of the original art, and I'm gonna take a guess and say it's a deliberate thematic choice and not just a bait and switch. The original game does something similar, rendering Link in the opening and ending in a different style from the rest of the game, even compared to the photos in the DX version.

I can't speak for its detractors, but I loved Wind Waker's art style the moment I saw it (and do to this day). This, on the other hand, will take some getting used to, because a plasticky look is often associated with low quality visuals. Link's face also resembles a generic Mii's, which doesn't exactly help.

Wooden toys might have been a better way to go, honestly, but at least the designers tried something more interesting than they did with A Link Between Worlds.

• Thumbs Up 1

21 hours ago, StaticMania said:

What is this referring to with Zelda? The last few games weren't cutesy.

Just in general. 

• 7 months later...

Because this thread was surprisingly inactive (especially since we're so close to release), here's that Ballad of the Wind Fish commercial in English.