Jump to content
Jack at Home

Reflection about past cartoons and new series speculation

Recommended Posts

9 hours ago, Mountaindewandsprite said:

Setting wise of course, as well as character design. Instead of the checkerboard style settings from the games, we got Knothole.

And Robotropolis, which is a pretty standard for Eggman ruled areas. 

Quote

And since Sonic is blue, he stuck out like a sore thumb among the cast, who all have the colors of their real life species (excluding Rotor).

But characters like Vector are green in the games like an actual crocodile, and Tails is orange like a real life fox. And  I don’t remember things like cyborg rabbits falling under the realm of realism either.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, SBR2 said:

I am so glad I'm not the only one who doesn't care for SatAM. I remember the dayswhen people talked like it was the best Sonic cartoon ever and for a time I bought into that hype. But after several rewatches I started seeing more and more flaws and honestly on both it and Underground I'll never forgive Ben Hurst for turning Sonic into a blithering idiot. 

That was more Pat Allee and even that may be debatable since AoSTH was in production at the same time

Were they involved in Underground? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Conquering Storm’s Servant said:

But characters like Vector are green in the games like an actual crocodile, and Tails is orange like a real life fox.

The focus of character colors in the games isn't specifically unnatural colors but saturated and striking ones. This allows for unnatural colors, but ensures that the aesthetics are relatively consistent regardless of whether an animal is naturally that color or not; actual crocodiles are greenish, but Vector is a brighter and more saturated green than any actual crocodile which keeps him in line with the other characters.

With SatAM, you're either Sonic, or you're some kind of muted brown or gray. They even made Tails brown for some reason.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Even the comic staff felt the need to redesign the Archie cast to be more in line with the games. There's probably spme merit to the idea that they don't necessarily call to mind the Sonic franchise. 

 

I just also don't think it matters all that much. Sonic's design had already been changed in the show to be more in line with western art trends anyway. There are concessions to be made when you work with an international brand and have to bring artists from the world over on board.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Diogenes said:

 

With SatAM, you're either Sonic, or you're some kind of muted brown or gray. They even made Tails brown for some reason.

Most of the cartoons and I think comics did.

Which is odd because they still refer to him as being an orange a few times.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I went into boom thinking it was going to be bad but was amazing with the self aware jokes. Easy 7. Would be a 8 but some characters are just bad like the women always losing her baby

 

The Ova was the best. Animations, characters,  and story all a solid 9

Satam, I liked the darker world setting but overall the stories were meh most the time  but still good. 7

Aosth, I mean it was meant to be dumb but I still watched it all the time growing up but lord was it dumb but 6. 7 to Christmas special

Sonic X could have been near perfect but god christ ruined it for me. A whiney spoiled brat. Who literally sabotaged sonics way home from literal greed. 6. I wanted to say 5 but it had sonic vs shadow and shadow hitting chris so yea a 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Conquering Storm’s Servant said:

And Robotropolis, which is a pretty standard for Eggman ruled areas. 

It was way too dry  and drab , the Swatbots were also pretty bland, not as bad as 2006 Robots but they are Bland as the Egg Pawns in Forces

Also isn't Tails a Kitsune? You know a mythological creature?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, DabigRG said:

That was more Pat Allee and even that may be debatable since AoSTH was in production at the same time

Were they involved in Underground? 

They were the head writers of Underground. 

You may have a point all I know is one of them wrote the exchange "We have to unscramble it to get in." "You mean like eggs?" and that forever soured me on SatAM Sonic. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Diogenes said:

The focus of character colors in the games isn't specifically unnatural colors but saturated and striking ones. This allows for unnatural colors, but ensures that the aesthetics are relatively consistent regardless of whether an animal is naturally that color or not; actual crocodiles are greenish, but Vector is a brighter and more saturated green than any actual crocodile which keeps him in line with the other characters.

With SatAM, you're either Sonic, or you're some kind of muted brown or gray. They even made Tails brown for some reason.

Correction: with AoSTH, they made Tails brown. Then they continued that with SatAM. 

That still doesn’t fall under the line of SatAM being to “realistic” as I was addressing, given the setting and aesthetics of the entire show to begin with. Striking colors or not, that has little to do with something being realistic unless we’re going to take that line of reasoning with fictional characters like Donald Duck being realistic simply because he has the same natural colors of a real life duck.

4 hours ago, ComeAsYouAre said:

It was way too dry  and drab , the Swatbots were also pretty bland, not as bad as 2006 Robots but they are Bland as the Egg Pawns in Forces

I don’t see how that has to do with my counterpoint...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Conquering Storm’s Servant said:

Correction: with AoSTH, they made Tails brown. Then they continued that with SatAM. 

First AoStH made him brown, then SatAM made him brown.

It doesn't matter who did it first.

1 hour ago, Conquering Storm’s Servant said:

That still doesn’t fall under the line of SatAM being to “realistic” as I was addressing, given the setting and aesthetics of the entire show to begin with. Striking colors or not, that has little to do with something being realistic unless we’re going to take that line of reasoning with fictional characters like Donald Duck being realistic simply because he has the same natural colors of a real life duck.

He's more realistic than if he was bright purple. It's points on a scale, not a binary "realistic or not".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Diogenes said:

First AoStH made him brown, then SatAM made him brown.

It doesn't matter who did it first.

I don’t think anyone was making an issue over who did what first, just a correction over where it started.

Quote

He's more realistic than if he was bright purple. It's points on a scale, not a binary "realistic or not".

No, it is a binary “realistic or not” because that was the whole point from the beginning regarding SatAM as a whole compared to the games—Donald Duck being more realistic than if he was bright purple is just looking at him from the surface much the same way than looking at him as a whole.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Conquering Storm’s Servant said:

I don’t think anyone was making an issue over who did what first, just a correction over where it started.

It's irrelevant. SatAM still did it even if AoStH did it first. There was literally no reason to bring it up.

4 minutes ago, Conquering Storm’s Servant said:

No, it is a binary “realistic or not” because that was the whole point from the beginning regarding SatAM as a whole.

The original complaint was that it was "too realistic". That implies degrees of realism, not a binary.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Diogenes said:

It's irrelevant. SatAM still did it even if AoStH did it first. There was literally no reason to bring it up.

The reason why I brought it up is simply not to single out SatAM for something another series did as tends to be a habit when comparing and contrast. That’s why I brought it up. 

Quote

The original complaint was that it was "too realistic". That implies degrees of realism, not a binary.

Okay, well even in the degrees, that’s still some surface-level judging of “realism”.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Conquering Storm’s Servant said:

The reason why I brought it up is simply not to single out SatAM for something another series did. That’s why I brought it up.

It wasn't being singled out. It's a simple fact about the thing that is being discussed.

1 minute ago, Conquering Storm’s Servant said:

Okay, well even in the degrees, that’s still some surface-level judging of “realism”.

It's one piece among many.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Diogenes said:

It wasn't being singled out. It's a simple fact about the thing that is being discussed.

A simple fact that you’re pressing on a little to hard argue over when all I stated is that it isn’t the only one that did it. If it was that irrelevant to you, you would have dropped it by now.

Quote

It's one piece among many.

Good to know.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Conquering Storm’s Servant said:

A simple fact that you’re pressing on a little to hard argue over when all I said is that it isn’t the only one that did it. If it was that irrelevant to you, you would have dropped it by now.

Are you shitting me dude

You're seriously arguing that actually responding to your posts means I'm in the wrong

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Diogenes said:

Are you shitting me dude

You're seriously arguing that actually responding to your posts means I'm in the wrong

I don’t recall any of those words even being stated, because that’s not what I said.

EDIT: It gets worst when you quoted the part of me directly telling you what I was saying, too...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/16/2019 at 7:56 AM, DabigRG said:

Most of the cartoons and I think comics did.

Which is odd because they still refer to him as being an orange a few times.

Yeah, a lot of the other media does that whole thing of making characters brown and gray. Even Boom does, even though they sometimes have more colorful, though still muted, clothing. (Which to be fair the comics did too).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Miragnarok said:

Yeah, a lot of the other media does that whole thing of making characters brown and gray. Even Boom does, even though they sometimes have more colorful, though still muted, clothing. (Which to be fair the comics did too).

Eh, I think it's really only an issue when it's down with major game characters.

Plus it kinda helps distinguish the main characters from the others.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm bringing this old thread of mine back with this tweet:

https://mobile.twitter.com/Alex_Hedgefox2/status/1159791269914320896

Thoughts? New cartoon? And Flynn and Hesse were just randomly at SEGA's HQ? Calling conspiracy theorists... But it's just a rumor for now.

Anyway, what would you like to see in an hypothetical new Sonic cartoon?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Tangled Jack said:

I'm bringing this old thread of mine back with this tweet:

https://mobile.twitter.com/Alex_Hedgefox2/status/1159791269914320896

Thoughts? New cartoon? And Flynn and Hesse were just randomly at SEGA's HQ? Calling conspiracy theorists... But it's just a rumor for now.

Anyway, what would you like to see in an hypothetical new Sonic cartoon?

 

On 7/15/2019 at 3:02 PM, DabigRG said:

I am kinda expecting a new show to be more game loyal like Sonic X. Ideally, if they go full tilt with that, I think it'd be interesting/practical if they did light rips of the games from time to time. Maybe not things like Knuckles introduction or the Sonic Adventure Games, but something that clearly takes inspiration from them and/or the Archie Reboot.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/16/2019 at 9:44 PM, Conquering Storm’s Servant said:

Correction: with AoSTH, they made Tails brown. Then they continued that with SatAM. 

They were in production at the same time. Sonic the Hedgehog began development first, then Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog came about as a compromise when ABC balked at the idea of extra Sonic the Hedgehog episodes being produced for syndication.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Tangled Jack said:

I'm bringing this old thread of mine back with this tweet:

https://mobile.twitter.com/Alex_Hedgefox2/status/1159791269914320896

Thoughts? New cartoon? And Flynn and Hesse were just randomly at SEGA's HQ? Calling conspiracy theorists... But it's just a rumor for now.

Anyway, what would you like to see in an hypothetical new Sonic cartoon?

First off I've been blocked by this guy (who incidentally has a crazed FireFlynn hashtag going and regularly bashes people who say good things about Flynn) so I can't see it.

Second I hope it's true but given this guy's previously mentioned hangups I'd take it with a mountain of salt.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, SBR2 said:

First off I've been blocked by this guy (who incidentally has a crazed FireFlynn hashtag going and regularly bashes people who say good things about Flynn) so I can't see it.

Second I hope it's true but given this guy's previously mentioned hangups I'd take it with a mountain of salt.

Yeah I've been told that. So I'm not sure now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

More reflections about the possible upcoming cartoon, I really believe they started working on this since 2018, usually it takes 2 years to make a cartoon and I remember that instagram post by the Neko producer who worked on Mania Adventures and Boom. 

Writing and artistic team: Ian Flynn is probably writing it, considering he was at Sega's offices, along with Tyson Hesse who already worked on the 2 webseries.

Art: Now we are going into wish territory, but I don't want another CGI cartoon, Boom's graphics were OK but would you really say they look prettier than old fashioned drawings by Tyson Hesse? Besides, CGI means they have limited resources for models and assets, which is why Boom was severely lacking new zones, badniks and characters. Hence that joke about "countless of stories with 8 characters and 4 places".

Story/Premise: I'm not sure what they could do, if the games would be canon or they just ignore continuity, probably the latter. I would like it to be like most cartoons nowadays, like... Have filler fun episodes with small adventures, wacky stories like Sonic Boom would be nice, it was really good because it felt crazy, they should do more of that, and also important episodes that progress the main story. Ian is a master of continuity so...

Gente/Tone: I would love it to be more story and action oriented. Boom sure was fun and IMO the best Sonic cartoon but it was basically a Sitcom, which is something I hated. Mix story, action and fun.

Cast: Okay first of all I'd bring back the cast from the games, who also worked on Boom, including Travis who is great as Knuckles, I hope he didn't retire. Main cast... Sonic, Tails, Knuckles, Amy, Eggman, Orbot and Cubot obviously, a.k.a. the basics, Boom had Sticks as fifth member of the team and wild card which worked for comedy, I'm not sure if they will bring her back IF they want to distinguish it from Boom, which is likely, so... I'm not sure, either Cream who is weak and boring IMO or yeah... Tangle and Whisper would be great, again they are the face of IDW so probably not, I wouldn't want new main characters when they can use old ones. Other characters work as guests, for example Shadow doesn't work for filler episodes so he should be recurring only.

What do you think of my ideas for this new cartoon?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

You must read and accept our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy to continue using this website. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.