Awoo.

A question about the Classic characters

Splash the Otter

Do you think Sega will ever change its mind about certain characters being Classic only? I'm asking because I really want to see Ray and Fang in a Modern game. It isn't fair that they can't have any of the cool stuff Modern characters get, like voice acting and colored eyes and being playable in 3d!

20 minutes ago, Splash the Otter said:

It isn't fair that they can't have any of the cool stuff Modern characters get, like voice acting and colored eyes and being playable in 3d!

Colored eyes are considered cool? also does that really matter?

20 minutes ago, Splash the Otter said:

being playable in 3d!

Modern Sonic characters besides Sonic are playable nowadays? and in 3D instead of mostly 2D sections and 3D hallway simulators pretending to be 3D?! =p

Haha, anyway a more serious answer is SEGA has more then enough Modern universe characters to play with. They won't bother with making modern versions of the classic only universe characters for the games... especially not now that SEGA gone ahead and separated the 2 universes as their own branches. So no, i don't think they'll change their minds anytime soon.

I think that classic characters have plenty of screentime already, Mighty and Ray are both in Mania Plus, Mania Adventures and will likely be in other classic features. They don't have to be in every game.

It's entirely possible. The whole modern/classic split (as an acknowledged and functional part of the series, at least) is a fairly new thing and it's hard to predict anything about it going forward. We might have characters crossing the gap, maybe in both directions...or we might not.

Also there's nothing that says Classic has to stay in 2D. If it's allowed to grow and evolve naturally it could eventually have its own 3D games, which, unlike modern, may even be good.

37 minutes ago, Jack the Shadow said:

They don't have to be in every game.

They've been in one game so far, mang.

It's too soon for sayings like this.

• Thumbs Up 2

It's possible but this is Sonic Team that we are talking about. They have a clear divide on which characters go where. There are also characters that have more or less retired and rarely used if they can help it because they aren't done in house for a Sonic Team game such as Fang, Bean, Bark, Cream, Emerl, Blaze, more recently Sticks (only because she appeared in the Rio Olympics) so you are probably lucky to get those even in a spinoff game and probably a push to even get a comic appearance. It was lucky that Mighty and Ray were brought back for Mania Plus and I think they had to push for that.

Unless there is a leadership or policy change, it is going to be unlikely that Classic characters are going to get the Modern treatment unless they already did for Adventure (e.g. Sonic, Tails, Knuckles, Amy, Eggman, Metal Sonic) or Heroes (Espio, Charmy and Vector). It is also the odd one out because the rest of the Chaotix got the Modern treatment but not Mighty.

Then there's the other way around where some characters are locked to Modern such as the Chaotix (minus Mighty) despite that they were around the classic era and Vector was a Classic character even before that because he was designed around Sonic 1 era. Chaotix is a weird case and I don't know why that is, Sonic Team seems to have issues regarding that game.

As for playable in 3D, well... For the past 10 years, it has been mostly Sonic only that has been playable in the main games with the others being in the sidelines. Until Forces where Shadow came out of hiding for some DLC. As for the spinoff games, even they have been restricted to more or less the most popular characters so that's Sonic, Tails, Knuckles, Amy, Shadow, Eggman, Metal Sonic, Rouge, Vector with the first 7 getting full priority and also pushing for Silver, Omega (maybe not much now) and Zavok. Big was also brought back despite being absent for years because of memes and a boost in popularity. It is also why people were disappointed with the roster of Team Sonic Racing.

Anything's possible, I suppose. Given the rather sizeable Modern cast already, and taking into account how under used everyone who isn't Sonic or Eggman (and now Zavok) is, I'd rather they not just have more useless standees around.

1 hour ago, StaticMania said:

They've been in one game so far, mang.

It's too soon for sayings like this.

They don't need to be in every game. I repeat.

They will likely appear in future classic media. So I wouldn't worry, really.

Say that when people are still whining about them not being in more games....after being in more games.

Now they shouldn't appear.

Shadow is not in the classics either, Vector, Charmy and Espio's classic incarnations are also ignored, so why should Mighty and Ray be in all incarnations? Why are they different? Sure, I like them, they are cute but not that special.

2 hours ago, Mr Loopone said:

There are also characters that have more or less retired and rarely used if they can help it because they aren't done in house for a Sonic Team game such as Fang, Bean, Bark, Cream, Emerl, Blaze, more recently Sticks

Umm Blaze isn't in that category. She is part of the fairly popular reoccurring side cast.

2 hours ago, Mr Loopone said:

As for the spinoff games, even they have been restricted to more or less the most popular characters so that's Sonic, Tails, Knuckles, Amy, Shadow, Eggman, Metal Sonic, Rouge, Vector with the first 7 getting full priority and also pushing for Silver, Omega (maybe not much now) and Zavok.

Again you seemed to forget Blaze is almost always in all the modern spinoff games such as the new racer game "Team Sonic Racing" and even "Sonic Forces: Speed Battle" not long ago... Blaze is considered to be among the most popular female characters in the Sonic franchise. Silver is definitely not more popular then Blaze the last I knew. Metal Sonic and Blaze even seem to tie in popularity when it comes to the fans.

• Thumbs Up 1

Touchy.

1 hour ago, Jack the Shadow said:

Shadow is not in the classics either, Vector, Charmy and Espio's classic incarnations are also ignored, so why should Mighty and Ray be in all incarnations? Why are they different? Sure, I like them, they are cute but not that special.

To be fair, the Chaotix being excluded from the Classic brand is another oddity itself. Also, Shadow not being in the classics makes sense.

4 hours ago, Diogenes said:

The whole modern/classic split (as an acknowledged and functional part of the series, at least) is a fairly new thing

That caveat is important, because really it's informally been a thing since 2003 when Heroes' cast got finalised. Actually it might have been before then; nobody's ever said why Mighty, Ray etc were dropped from the selection. 

• Fist Bump 1

I read all your replies, and now I'm really upset. Ray and Fang are two of my favorite characters and I really wanted to see them in a Modern game. Now that dream is dead. It isn't fair and I'm never buying a Sonic game ever again!

6 minutes ago, StaticMania said:

There's something about that post that doesn't make sense, maybe it's the humor.

Maybe it's the fact that you didn't quote it.

10 minutes ago, StaticMania said:

There's something about that post that doesn't make sense, maybe it's the humor.

What humor? I'm being serious.

• Chuckle 1

1 hour ago, Splash the Otter said:

I read all your replies, and now I'm really upset. Ray and Fang are two of my favorite characters and I really wanted to see them in a Modern game. Now that dream is dead. It isn't fair and I'm never buying a Sonic game ever again!

Is this really a worse situation than when they weren't appearing in anything and likely never would again?

I don't see anything wrong bringing "classic" characters forward, honestly they should just be characters all the same I wouldn't lose hope and who knows in a dream world we'll get some Mania style Saturn era 3D platformer with all those guys like a sonic X-treme that never was.

• Thumbs Up 2

39 minutes ago, Diogenes said:

Is this really a worse situation than when they weren't appearing in anything and likely never would again?

No, but it's still a problem. And even then they were in the comics and I had some hope that they would show up in the games eventually.

I don't see why not. However, given the current treatment of already established characters, it might be best to keep hands off characters like Mighty and Ray, at least until Sonic Team gets more competent developers. I would kill to see Fang, Bean, and Bark make an appearance in Modern games (No, I don't mean on a wanted poster).

• Thumbs Up 1

50 minutes ago, Mountaindewandsprite said:

I don't see why not. However, given the current treatment of already established characters, it might be best to keep hands off characters like Mighty and Ray, at least until Sonic Team gets more competent developers. I would kill to see Fang, Bean, and Bark make an appearance in Modern games (No, I don't mean on a wanted poster).

Yeah, while I don't mind Mighty and Ray at all, I do think Fang and possibly Bean & Bark would be more notable additions/transitions.

13 hours ago, Splash the Otter said:

Sorry. The dream is not dead, this is just us speculating, SEGA likes to change their direction all the time, Classic Sonic wasn't supposed to come back after Generations, it proved popular and look at him now, he's everywhere. This is meant to say that vocal fan request can bring any character back, so it's possible. Remember that Mighty, Ray and the Hooligans were basically dead for 20 years, now they are back, isn't that a cool thing? Fans even brought Amy by demand in Mania Adventures, so everything is literally in the fans hands.

Now, my reason for not wanting classic characters in modern games has to do with the fact that the modern cast… is already overcrowded, there isn't space for everyone, so they should not add Mighty and Ray in modern games too. That's just my opinion.

And I like how the modern and classic series have each a unique cast, it helps makes them distinct and exclusive.

• Fist Bump 1