Awoo.

A question about the Classic characters

Splash the Otter

3 hours ago, Pengi said:

If a game is going to be a new and experimental 3D thing, then it makes more sense to use the mainline Sonic, rather than the one of the Mega Drive era that's specifically associated with the 2D Sonic platformers of the Mega Drive.

If they use Modern Sonic then they can't use any of the Classic-exclusive characters, and the whole reason I made this thread is because I want them to be in more than just 2d sidescrollers.

Curiosity is a fascinating thing, that's probably why.

It did not kill the cat.

But it's most likely gonna get repetitive from here on out.

11 hours ago, Diogenes said:

This is just going in circles. You've given no sensible reason why the classic designs can't be applied to anything other than 2D sidescrollers while it's perfectly fine for Modern Sonic to be anything and everything.

Because they’ve explicitly branded it that way.

Why doesn’t Nintendo do WarioWare as a platformer? Why don’t they do Wario Land as a mini game collection? Why don’t they do a 2D Metroid Prime?

6 minutes ago, Pengi said:

Because they’ve explicitly branded it that way.

Why doesn’t Nintendo do WarioWare as a platformer? Why don’t they do Wario Land as a mini game collection? Why don’t they do a 2D Metroid Prime?

But... they haven’t. Both games are part of the “Sonic” series. Shit, they’re even *directly linked* in Forces. The only branding difference is the idea of the two Sonics, but even so they both retain the “Sonic” name. It’s not “Classic Sonic Mania” and “Modern Sonic Forces”, it’s just “Sonic Mania” and “Sonic Forces”.

Its not like Sonic R wasn’t already basically a 3D Sonic platformer anyway, just with the racing component taking priority. 

1 hour ago, StaticMania said:

But it's most likely gonna get repetitive from here on out.

Yeah, seriously.

Like, I was following it well enough at first, but at some point, it justiRf.gif

5 hours ago, DabigRG said:

I'm not sure why I even click on this thread anymore.

Neither am I TBH...

5 hours ago, Tracker_TD said:

But... they haven’t. Both games are part of the “Sonic” series. Shit, they’re even *directly linked* in Forces. The only branding difference is the idea of the two Sonics, but even so they both retain the “Sonic” name. It’s not “Classic Sonic Mania” and “Modern Sonic Forces”, it’s just “Sonic Mania” and “Sonic Forces”.

Its not like Sonic R wasn’t already basically a 3D Sonic platformer anyway, just with the racing component taking priority. 

They're using the imagery of "old Sonic" to communicate what type of Sonic game it is, under the fair assumption that the audience will associate that design with the Mega Drive games, more than Sonic R. Since bringing Classic Sonic back, they've stuck with streamlined 2D gameplay for that version of the character, because that's what that version of the character is best known for. 

It's similar to how Wario wears his biker outfit in WarioWare games (and mega-crossover Smash Bros), but not in any other Wario or Mario titles. There's nothing stopping Nintendo from using the biker gear Wario on the box art of a Mario Kart or Mario Party or Wario Land, but they've chosen to build and maintain an association between that design and a specific type of game. Or for a Sonic example, it's like how all three Sonic Riders games had the entire cast wearing extreme sports gear instead of their usual attire, but those design choices didn't carry over into the mainline games.

Imagery and association is all part of branding and marketing. Coca-Cola comes in a red can, Diet Coke comes in a white can, Coca-Cola Zero comes in a black can. There's absolutely nothing stopping them from swapping the colours around, but why would they? 

• Thumbs Up 1