Awoo.

Has "Solo Sonic" been detrimental to the series?

Mountaindewandsprite

13 minutes ago, knuckles20 said:

And yet despite being a straight to the point port people claimed it had gameplay issues that the original genesis version didn’t had prior.

It's not like they were wrong.

Any game-play footage at all would confirm any of the claims you've heard about it.

2 minutes ago, StaticMania said:

It's not like they were wrong.

Any game-play footage at all would confirm any of the claims you've heard about it.

And now that you've mentioned it

3 hours ago, knuckles20 said:

Yes the true savior of Generations 2: Shadow’s gameplay campaign that felt like a last minute add on and took less time to run through than a Sonic X episode even without ads and opening/ending credits.

I can see why you wouldn’t count that, but still. Objectively, there were more characters playable than the two Sonics and fill-in-The-blank. (Would fill in the blank have worked if you could recreate existing characters down to the last detail?)

On 2/27/2019 at 11:14 PM, Wraith said:

Taking Shadow out of the context he's normally viewed in is not only creative and amusing but can add nuance to the character.

Characters need to be multifaceted or else they're just bland. I like Shadow but I don't just like him for the cool serious power fantasy stuff. 

I infact wish flynn would do it more because he doesnt do it alot. Whether it be a Sega intervention, his own preference for shadow being a "rival" even when it isn't appropriate or interesting or a combination of both ( I Think its a combination of both ) , shadow isn't often thrust into situations that are out of normality. Which sucks because at least under Ian's Pen those are the most interesting shadow things. Not just sillier instances like tresure team tango and the bit with shadow and marine. Even more less silly stuff like shadow and knuckles hanging out for two arcs because it kind of made knuckles a much better character. Having to deal with an opponent that he admits himself he can't outpace, he just has to deal with him and his opinions and it effects him. You he understands and respects shadow more, and in doing so he thinks about how he's doing his job. Knuckles has never really done this.

Shadow being taken outside of his box not only helps himself, but helps other parties as well. Yes its not perfect shadow is a practically calling out for hack writers to write him in the worst way possible because " edge "  like his sonic boom incarnation, and on that same token those hack writers writing him to be silly because he's " edgy " and that in itself isn't actually interesting at all. However shadow being taken outside of his box in a well written way not only inhances his own character, his blunt and grim perspective on things could effect other characters as well.

As of currently this happening in the current comics is impossible. The current arc is uh... taking up everyone's attention so to speak, but hopefully in the future

• Thumbs Up 1

31 minutes ago, Miragnarok said:

I can see why you wouldn’t count that, but still. Objectively, there were more characters playable than the two Sonics and fill-in-The-blank. (Would fill in the blank have worked if you could recreate existing characters down to the last detail?)

If Sonic B and fill in the blank were swapped with either already existing characters or new characters with defined personalities and skillsets, I would had gave Forces a chance.

But the reason that didn't happen was because Retro Sonic instantly soured me on the game for various reasons and I saw the create your own as another cop out for not using the numerous established characters that haven't been active in over a decade. Generations 1 turned me off from playing any game where my only option was Sonic and the quarter hour Shadow DLC wasn't enough for me. 

• Thumbs Up 1

42 minutes ago, Guergy said:

Not to mention Classic Sonic himself is a little sluggish in Generations and Forces. 

You have a point about Generations, people were just too impressed by The modern stages to notice

With the Boost formula they seem to have put themselves in a corner, they can't make a game too long based on pure 3D Boost Gameplay because that would require ridiculously big levels. So they put stuff like 2D sections, Wisps Werehogs and Classic Sonic to pad things out, people didn't mind Classic Sonic or Wisps the first time because "at least it's not the werehog", but the time Forces came along people were not gonna go easy on them, the Avatar was slightly well received but if they put him in another game without both polishing and evolving his gameplay he would be met with the same negative reaction that those two got 

A lot of these issues could be solved by limiting Boosting and punishing people more for overusing it so that the levels last longer and they don't need to rely on slower gameplay  , they just don't seem confident in their ability to make the 3D levels harder without being too hard for "Crash is as hard as dark Soul " Gaming Critics types, or worse risk the possibility of these levels ending up broken 

Honestly , just drop the Boost and go back to Sonic's gameplay in the Adventure games