Awoo.

Tumblr/Twitter Sonic's latest exploits

NoirSuede

It's called opinions. You may feel Metal Sonic is garbage, but others don't.

Okay yeah, I'm with you here.

And Blaze is a shameless rip-off of Knuckles. I'll take Metal Sonic over her, thanks.

BUT THIS IS WHERE YOU ARE WRONG, BUCKO.

Blaze defends Sol Emeralds. Seven seperate alternate emeralds. Knuckles likes to make sure of the well-being of the Chaos Emeralds, BUT he protects the Master Emerald.

Blaze lives in a royal family, and from what we'd assume comes from a high-class society. She also almost is never around her kingdom (we've never even seen it in the games). If anything, she's the anti-thesis to Knuckles in regards to disposition: he's the last of an ancient civilization, living life alone while protecting an emerald, mostly secluded to a single island and never leaving much.

Not to mention her entire personality being different from Knuckles.

And before you ask why I went out of my way to defend Blaze here.. well, one, Blaze is an awesome character. Two, this is yet another one of your throwaway statements you've made here that has nothing substantial to back up and is mostly meant to throw someone's opinion under a bus. Like come on, man. Really?

Edited by Azoo
  • Thumbs Up 6

It's called facetiousness. Maybe you've heard of it, maybe you haven't.

Your statement didn't come off facetious at all.

I didn't know only Knuckles was allowed to guard things, or that guarding things was literally the only fucking facet to his character. I guess the Egg Cerberus is a shameless rip off too.

Blaze, like Knuckles, is an emerald guardian who was initially a loner and didn't open up to others until she met Sonic. There isn't anyone else in the series like that. She's definitely a Knuckles rip-off.

Metal Sonic isn't garbage, at least not in Sonic CD. He's definitely not a glorified badnik, he's almost depicted as the general of the badniks in Sonic CD and has a prominent role in the game as a major boss battle and in the machines in the past. I really like how he's handled in Sonic CD.

There's a subtlety to him that isn't applied to someone like Shadow, who's got a dark in your face appeal. I also much prefer the idea of Sonic's rival being a robot than a dark mirror image.

Edited by LindseyWalker
  • Thumbs Up 1

Blaze, like Knuckles, is an emerald guardian who was initially a loner and didn't open up to others until she met Sonic. There isn't anyone else in the series like that. She's definitely a Knuckles rip-off.

Man, there was no focus ever put on him being a loner as if it was a bad thing, nor that Sonic changed anything about him. Blaze repressed her emotions and wants in favor of doing her job, and Sonic helped her find a middle ground. Knuckles just does his thing like he always does and finds it out on his own.

Plus, there's a pretty solid difference between someone being an emotionally secluded royalty figure (Blaze) to being an almost tribal (if not for his shoes and gloves) figure guarding an entire island on his lonesome. 

It's like you looked at two different ways of being alone and associated them as the same thing.

• Thumbs Up 3

*blinks*

She's a princess who lived in a huge castle with a royal guard who was know all over her world.

• Thumbs Up 5

I mean that doesn't really say much about their actual characters though. I guess their arcs are kind of similar but the reasons they oppose Sonic and eventually open up to him are completely different because their personalities are completely different. 

The "loner" aspect of Knuckles isn't even treated as a major aspect of his character. He only fights Sonic because he was tricked, but once he finds out that Sonic's cool he helps him out immediately. Blaze is the opposite. She literally only fights Sonic in the first place because she was being a jerk and not telling anyone what was going on.

Nothing really changes about Knuckles after he becomes friends with Sonic, but Blaze actually learns a lot from him about how to not be a jerk connect with people. 

• Thumbs Up 6

I'd agree that Blaze and Knuckles are similar characters. You cannot deny that they are both comparable in that they are guardians of emeralds and are lone wolves who later find friendship. They are definitely different characters though, just similar tropes (which is normal for a franchise).

Metal Sonic isn't garbage, at least not in Sonic CD. He's definitely not a glorified badnik, he's almost depicted as the general of the badniks in Sonic CD and has a prominent role in the game as a major boss battle and in the machines in the past. I really like how he's handled in Sonic CD.

There's a subtlety to him that isn't applied to someone like Shadow, who's got a dark in your face appeal. I also much prefer the idea of Sonic's rival being a robot than a dark mirror image.

He shows up, kidnaps Amy and then fucks off until Stardust Speedway. The only glimpse of him you see in the game is when you see a projection of him stepping on a badnik. And he's definitely not leading anything from what I can see. 

Shadow, regardless of how you felt about it, has an actual character arc of which focused on his relationship with Sonic as well as the facets of his character. He grows from game to game and ends up making significant choices about his life that affect him and the people around him. There's a reason people consider him Sonic's most prominent rival, he's the only one to get a developed arc kappa.

Your statement didn't come off facetious at all.

Understandable. But for future reference, I don't need a lesson on parsing opinions from statements of fact.

Knuckles was never characterized as emotionally introverted, much less had that as a big part of his character development. His Sonic 3 profile even states that he's not good with girls, meaning there is precedence for some interaction with other animals on his island which in turn lends some credence to his gullibility in the face of Eggman, whereas Blaze wasn't all that trusting of anybody, probably because she's royalty whereas Knuckles isn't. On top of that, Knuckles is not cool-headed, nor female, nor concerned with his body image, nor afraid of heights, nor any of the other things that actually make Blaze a distinct character. 

Metal Sonic literally doesn't do anything in CD except kidnap Amy and get his ass busted. He doesn't prove a significant challenge to Sonic throughout the game unlike practically every other rival tends to, which actually makes them more credible threats as far as the writing goes. Seriously, he has canonically never laid a hit on Sonic.

Metal Sonic is as subtle as a Nightmare animatronic from Five Nights at Freddy's 4. He's an obviously pure evil robot version of Sonic (because pure evil is 'subtle'), complete with sharp angles, a permanent scowl, claws out the ass, and red eyes against black sclera. He's the extreme logical extension of the played out "nature vs technology" theme inherent in Sonic's earlier interactions with Eggman. It's as deep as paper. And with Sega simply throwing penultimate or final boss status at him all the time without actually developing his threat level with in-game acts and serious threats against Sonic and co. throughout a story, all he has to logically go on is his looks and the bad writing wherein every character freaks the fuck out at him being a threat for some reason. In the games, Metal Sonic is awful, completely overhyped based on his actual potential and not anything he's actually done. Hell, Jet at least knocked Sonic off of an Extreme Gear.

*blinks*

She's was a princess who lived in a huge castle with a royal guard.

Same exact character.

• Thumbs Up 4

All of that Nep mentioned in mind, I love Metal Sonic. He's amazing by design, and everything he's ever done that wasn't in Heroes or S4:E2 looked awesome. He's threatening by design alone though, which sucks but I don't think that makes him a bad character. He just needs to be taken care of better in regards to being a good villain.. but I think better writing is something all the characters in this series could benefit from.

Never saw him as a good rival, though. If they could ever convince me otherwise then I'd be more than happy to accept it, but they haven't. Now if Metal started acting like how he did in the OVA... hahaha, now that would be amazing.

Edited by Azoo
  • Thumbs Up 9

I've been in favor for the OVA incarnation Metal Sonic to enter the games for years. Someone who can beat the shit out of Sonic upon first meeting and throw him in the woods to die? That is someone worth entertaining as a badass.

• Thumbs Up 6

Sonic CD is on inferior hardware to the Dreamcast so it's not really fair to compare characterisation between Shadow and Metal Sonic. It's like comparing the characterisation of Knuckles in Sonic 3 and Shadow in Sonic Adventure 2. Of course Shadow is better characterised, because he has dialogue, voice acting to convey emotion and cinematic shots to carry expression. None of that's available to Sonic CD.

Also, Metal Sonic does quite a lot in Sonic CD but, again, it's on the SEGA CD so you have to use your imagination more as compared to Sonic Adventure 2. He's the reason why Little Planet has fallen into the state it has and he kidnaps Amy which is hardly a minor detail, it's the biggest plot point of the entire game. That's like saying Shadow saving the world is a minor detail in Sonic Adventure 2. It seems minor to us now, but that's only because the plot is simple due to hardware. It's obviously not blowing any minds now but this was in the early 90s.

The boss fight is also iconic, and, whilst it's admittedly a bit anti-climactic now, it still has a lot of exposition and drama build-up with a really cool concept. The fight itself was pretty impressive for the time too.

I just think there's something subtle and likeable about Metal Sonic. He doesn't speak at all in Sonic CD yet he's expressive for the time, both in the marketing material and in game.

Metalwag.gif

This finger wag is what I'm talking about. You know he's an arrogant robot who thinks he's better than Sonic and he doesn't even need to use any dramatic dialogue! This is reinforced by the marketing material, they are put on equal footing in promo sources and it's the first time Sonic had a mirror rival in the franchise.

You may call the nature vs technology theme 'played out' but that's your opinion. That was the theme of Sonic back then, and a robot version of Sonic fit the bill better than an anime-inspired dark mirror image of Shadow in some eyes. It also arguably fit the aesthetic much better. I also liked how they made Metal Sonic's mirror abilities somewhat different to Sonic. He flies on a rocket chassis and shoots across the floor like a lightning bolt after slowly gaining speed.

Metal+Sonic.PNG

This is very different to Sonic, who can run off very fast immediately and has a lot of vertical movement. This isn't just me making stuff up either, it's confirmed in an interview.

From 1:00 onwards.

I find this more interesting than what they did with Shadow where, bar the rocket shoes, he moves and acts exactly the same as Sonic. He has Chaos Control, but that's a completely different ability that really does have no relation to him being a mirror image.

I don't even dislike Shadow in Adventure 2, I just prefer how Metal Sonic was handled. I think they did some really cool things with him for such limited hardware.

• Thumbs Up 1

Inferior hardware is an excuse. Knuckles punched Sonic out of his Super State, stole the Emeralds, and in general made his progress a living Hell by heading him off and constantly using trap doors in a game only a year older than CD. Unless you think a game that can host two traditionally-animated cut scenes was somehow starved of the technological progress to give us some simple sprite cutscenes to show off Metal Sonic's abilities, then the fact is Sega dropped the ball on actually characterizing him, relying on nothing but the way he looks.

And again, I find nothing subtle or deep about "Chaotic evil robot version of main character who looks scary but has never actually been seen to do shit." It's the George Lucas school of storytelling. At least Shadow had a fucking character arc built on sympathetic foundations and slightly grayer morality than "I'm evil and thus must kill you cuz evil." Subsequently, "nature vs. technology" being the theme back then doesn't change the fact that there is nothing particularly deep about it in the way it's characterized by Sonic and Metal's rivalry, that being "nature is pure and good, technology is tainted and evil" shtick that is elementary in its consideration. It doesn't remark on the human condition, it doesn't give hope for the future, it doesn't even feel like remarking on the fact that technology and nature can co-exist. It's just "natural things are beautiful so don't destroy them with bad tech." It's Ted Turner, Ferngully levels of moralizing.

Edited by Nepenthe
  • Thumbs Up 2

Sonic CD is on inferior hardware to the Dreamcast so it's not really fair to compare characterisation between Shadow and Metal Sonic. It's like comparing the characterisation of Knuckles in Sonic 3 and Shadow in Sonic Adventure 2. Of course Shadow is better characterised, because he has dialogue, voice acting to convey emotion and cinematic shots to carry expression. None of that's available to Sonic CD.

Also, Metal Sonic does quite a lot in Sonic CD but, again, it's on the SEGA CD so you have to use your imagination more as compared to Sonic Adventure 2. He's the reason why Little Planet has fallen into the state it has and he kidnaps Amy which is hardly a minor detail, it's the biggest plot point of the entire game. That's like saying Shadow saving the world is a minor detail in Sonic Adventure 2. It seems minor to us now, but that's only because the plot is simple due to hardware. It's obviously not blowing any minds now but this was in the early 90s.

The boss fight is also iconic, and, whilst it's admittedly a bit anti-climactic now, it still has a lot of exposition and drama build-up with a really cool concept. The fight itself was pretty impressive for the time too.

I just think there's something subtle and likeable about Metal Sonic. He doesn't speak at all in Sonic CD yet he's expressive for the time, both in the marketing material and in game.

Metalwag.gif

This finger wag is what I'm talking about. You know he's an arrogant robot who thinks he's better than Sonic and he doesn't even need to use any dramatic dialogue! This is reinforced by the marketing material, they are put on equal footing in promo sources and it's the first time Sonic had a mirror rival in the franchise.

You may call the nature vs technology theme 'played out' but that's your opinion. That was the theme of Sonic back then, and a robot version of Sonic fit the bill better than an anime-inspired dark mirror image of Shadow in some eyes. It also arguably fit the aesthetic much better. I also liked how they made Metal Sonic's mirror abilities somewhat different to Sonic. He flies on a rocket chassis and shoots across the floor like a lightning bolt after slowly gaining speed.

Metal+Sonic.PNG

This is very different to Sonic, who can run off very fast immediately and has a lot of vertical movement. This isn't just me making stuff up either, it's confirmed in an interview.

From 1:00 onwards.

I find this more interesting than what they did with Shadow where, bar the rocket shoes, he moves and acts exactly the same as Sonic. He has Chaos Control, but that's a completely different ability that really does have no relation to him being a mirror image.

I don't even dislike Shadow in Adventure 2, I just prefer how Metal Sonic was handled. I think they did some really cool things with him for such limited hardware.

I'd agree with you, but Knuckles debuts in literally the same time frame and still has more presence than Metal Sonic; Knuckles spends the entire game dicking you around, which makes the buildup to the fight with him in Hidden Palace a bit better(even if the fight itself is piss easy). Metal Sonic does not appear at any time between the time he kidnaps Amy and when you fight him, so there's almost no buildup or tension to the fight him in comparison Knuckles or Shadow. 

Shadow & Metal Sonic may have come from different eras and codified different themes(Metal Sonic being "Nature vs. Technology, Shadow being the dark mirror), but I still feel Shadow was handled better overall and I think its more than just hardware limitations at the time. Metal Sonic was only really given focus in Sonic CD and then disappeared for a decade minus cameo appearances and then reappeared in Sonic Heroes with almost a completely different characterization minus that he still hates Sonic (World domination, for real?) and then disappeared again until Episode Metal/Episode 2 of Sonic 4, filling the same exact role he had in Sonic CD.

I actually do like Metal Sonic, but his popularity and actual contributions to the series are disproportionate. And while that may be the reason people like him (they wanna see his potential realized), I get a little annoyed when Shadow, to this very fucking day, still gets shit from a game that came out almost 10 years ago and people just cover their ears and act like he was never a good character to begin with. Yet, I have to watch people wank off Metal Sonic despite him doing far less in his career than Shadow.  

• Thumbs Up 6

I'd agree with you, but Knuckles debuts in literally the same time frame and still has more presence than Metal Sonic; Knuckles spends the entire game dicking you around, which makes the buildup to the fight with him in Hidden Palace a bit better(even if the fight itself is piss easy). Metal Sonic does not appear at any time between the time he kidnaps Amy and when you fight him, so there's almost no buildup or tension to the fight him in comparison Knuckles or Shadow. 

Shadow & Metal Sonic may have come from different eras and codified different themes(Metal Sonic being "Nature vs. Technology, Shadow being the dark mirror), but I still feel Shadow was handled better overall and I think its more than just hardware limitations at the time. Metal Sonic was only really given focus in Sonic CD and then disappeared for a decade minus cameo appearances and then reappeared in Sonic Heroes with almost a completely different characterization minus that he still hates Sonic (World domination, for real?) and then disappeared again until Episode Metal/Episode 2 of Sonic 4, filling the same exact role he had in Sonic CD.

I actually do like Metal Sonic, but his popularity and actual contributions to the series are disproportionate. And while that may be the reason people like him (they wanna see his potential realized), I get a little annoyed when Shadow, to this very fucking day, still gets shit from a game that came out almost 10 years ago and people just cover their ears and act like he was never a good character to begin with. Yet, I have to watch people wank off Metal Sonic despite him doing far less in his career than Shadow.  

Knuckles is characterised better but it's not surprising seeing as Sonic 3 is a better game than Sonic CD. Sonic 3's arguably the best game in the franchise, it would be surprising if they didn't hit gold!

I understand that Shadow fans are upset because of what's happened to him in recent years, he hasn't been written well since Sonic Adventure 2 and I feel he actually would have been better if he did actually die at the end rather than get dragged into the dirt the way he did. He always had his cheesy moments, like the way he says 'Uh, I'm the coolest', but he was a well written character who was likeable. Sonic Boom is a good indication of how far he's fallen. I'd also agree that Metal Sonic has stolen perhaps too much of Shadow's limelight.

That said, I can still like Metal Sonic and not get blamed for Shadow's downfall, I'm very much against this 'with me or against me' BS fans can turn into, if you know what I mean?

Inferior hardware is an excuse. 

And again, I find nothing subtle or deep about "Chaotic evil robot version of main character who looks scary but has never actually been seen to do shit." It's the George Lucas school of storytelling. At least Shadow had a fucking character arc built on sympathetic foundations and slightly grayer morality than "I'm evil and thus must kill you cuz evil."

Inferior hardware isn't an excuse, it's one explanation.

And there's nothing deep about anything in Sonic CD, but I do like the subtle way the game uses environments and art to tell stories about the world and the characters.

Its partially why I want Shadow to win this poll, just as a middle finger to everyone who thinks he's this irredeemable character. Yes, I'm vindictive like that. I'd rather Shadow to win this than fucking Eggman, and I like Eggman.

• Thumbs Up 1

Its partially why I want Shadow to win this poll, just as a middle finger to everyone who thinks he's this irredeemable character. Yes, I'm vindictive like that. I'd rather Shadow to win this than fucking Eggman, and I like Eggman.

I think SEGA are too afraid to approach him because of how terrible the Shadow game was. It's a shame because I really liked Shadow in Sonic Adventure 2. They do this with all of Sonic's friends though, Shadow just is the epitome of what's happened. Sonic as a franchise just has no self-confidence anymore and is so insecure.

It's not the fact that Shadow has fallen into a state of decay that's annoying in the context of this discussion. It's the fact that Shadow's actual acts and accomplishments don't get the credit they deserve whereas Metal Sonic has done little to nothing on screen worth commending and yet still is upheld on a pedestal as a perfect villain. The fandom as a whole seems content to say that Metal has no actual flaws while shitting on Shadow at every opportunity as if he has no actual strengths. The bias of the fandom to this degree whenever the two characters are compared, or when Metal Sonic is gushed over in general, is literally astounding.

Inferior hardware isn't an excuse, it's one explanation.

It's literally an excuse because it makes no sense. Sega wasn't technically prohibited from having cut scenes of Metal Sonic doing various feats throughout the story.

Edited by Nepenthe
  • Thumbs Up 6

No no non on no nonono no no no no non on on no noNO

God no. God, no. No, man, no.

Man I know you want Shadow to be seen as a good character like he was in SA2, and I can't help but agree with you there because he was. But considering how much Heroes, the Shadow game itself, and 06 represents Shadow nowadays instead of SA2, and how that's all there really is left of Shadow anymore, just please dear God no

I actually think the opposite is true anyways. Shadow's going to get a ludicrous amount of votes, and I honestly hope he doesn't get too far because of... well, everything he's stood for post-SA2. It'd be extremely predictable if Shadow won this thing, consider his still gigantic fanbase.

Hoping for Knuckles or Tails to clean house, tbh.

Edited by Azoo
  • Thumbs Up 4

It's not the fact that Shadow has fallen into a state of decay that's annoying in the context of this discussion. It's the fact that Shadow's actual acts and accomplishments don't get the credit they deserve whereas Metal Sonic has done little to nothing on screen worth commending and yet still is upheld on a pedestal as a perfect villain. The fandom as a whole seems content to say that Metal has no actual flaws while shitting on Shadow at every opportunity as if he has no actual strengths. The bias of the fandom to this degree is literally astounding.

I don't think anyone feels that Metal Sonic is a perfect villain, I certainly don't and I'm a big fan of him. He has a really cool design, debuted in a great game and has some cool iconic imagery and moments. I also like his expressive moments and how his movement is different to Sonic.

Honestly, the reason Shadow doesn't get credit for his acts and accomplishments is because of how he's been dragged along the floor. If Metal Sonic had such an embarrassing game as Shadow, he would be remembered in a very different way too.

I want Tails to win too :) .

It's not the fact that Shadow has fallen into a state of decay that's annoying in the context of this discussion. It's the fact that Shadow's actual acts and accomplishments don't get the credit they deserve whereas Metal Sonic has done little to nothing on screen worth commending and yet still is upheld on a pedestal as a perfect villain. The fandom as a whole seems content to say that Metal has no actual flaws while shitting on Shadow at every opportunity as if he has no actual strengths. The bias of the fandom to this degree whenever the two characters are compared, or when Metal Sonic is gushed over in general, is literally astounding.

That's because its easy to assume a character can be good when they haven't done anything offensive :V

So in short, Metal Sonic (And if I really wanted to play Devil's Advocate, Eggman) can do literally nothing and just look intimidating and people will still call them "amazing villains" while Shadow cannot do anything without being called "edgy" or "tryhard". I fucking hate this fandom sometimes yo.

No no non on no nonono no no no no non on on no noNO

God no. God, no. No, man, no.

Man I know you want Shadow to be seen as a good character like he was in SA2, and I can't help but agree with you there because he was. But considering how much Heroes, the Shadow game itself, and 06 represents Shadow nowadays instead of SA2, and how that's all there really is left of Shadow anymore, just please dear God no

I actually think the opposite is true anyways. Shadow's going to get a ludicrous amount of votes, and I honestly hope he doesn't get too far because of... well, everything he's stood for post-SA2. It'd be extremely predictable if Shadow won this thing.

Why does him winning have to be associated with those games? See, this is what I'm fucking talking about, this right here.

He cannot do anything without people bringing up games from over ten years ago, its mind numbing how much people do this.

I want him to win because I find him to be an appealing character who I happen to like and would want to see push through despite the amount of bile against him. Why am I wrong for wanting this? Yet, Tails & Knuckles barely do anything themselves (especially the latter) nowadays, but they deserve to win? 

That's it, I'm going to burn down Sonic Team HQ.

I still love you Azoo, but we're enemies until this thing is over :V

Edited by Kuzu the Boloedge
  • Thumbs Up 1

Could've fooled me that the fanbase doesn't think there's anything wrong with Metal. It's very rare that I see a Metal Sonic fan not balk at me whenever I point out that he's not actually done anything in the games and get immediately defensive and try to explain to me how he actually is indeed awesome sauce. 

Why does him winning have to be associated with those games? See, this is what I'm fucking talking about, this right here.

He cannot do anything without people bringing up games from over ten years ago, its mind numbing how much people do this.

I...

Dude, there's a reason those games are brought up.

Because they existed. And not only that, but Shadow had a lot to do with them. A lot. Like, Shadow's entire comeback was a more important moment to him than anything happening to anyone else in Heroes, and Shadow's game is entirely based around him (as the name implies lol). You can't just say "oh I love Silver" and then tell others to forget about 06 before you judge them for it. :v

The reason these games keep coming up is because they have everything to do with the character. If you liked Shadow in SA2, then I hate to say it but that Shadow is long gone from the series thanks to what they've written around him. Do I hate that? Yes, quite a lot. But if he comes back, EVEN if they don't reference back to it, that stigma and everything about Shadow is still stuck to him, like a leech. It'd take an entire reboot of said character just to get away from it, it's so infused with him at this point.

I want him to win because I find him to be an appealing character who I happen to like and would want to see push through despite the amount of bile against him. Why am I wrong for wanting this? Yet, Tails & Knuckles barely do anything themselves (especially the latter) nowadays, but they deserve to win? 

Those characters have good reputations and nothing to hold them down otherwise.  

Edited by Azoo

Could've fooled me that the fanbase doesn't think there's anything wrong with Metal. It's very rare that I see a Metal Sonic fan not balk at me whenever I point out that he's not actually done anything in the games and get immediately defensive and try to explain to me how he actually is indeed awesome sauce. 

I'm a metal Sonic fan and I've not balked.

• Thumbs Up 2