Awoo.

Tumblr/Twitter Sonic's latest exploits

NoirSuede

I think it's so cool that Rafa Knight is doing work for Sega now. I love her work! Not only are the models excellent, they can also have a lot of personality, as we can see x) And it's just such a great success story to move from making fan art to actually doing stuff for the company who created the character.

2 hours ago, Gatestormer said:

:)

In the future, avoid one word/smiley only/picture only posts.

• Thumbs Up 2

17 minutes ago, Monkey Destruction Switch said:

In the future, avoid one word/smiley only/picture only posts.

Sorry! Was just responding to the acknowledgment that I designed the art. 

Aw gosh, I honestly didn't know who you were x) Pleasure to make your acquaintance, and congratulations! I hadn't heard of you before, but your work is great! <3

• Thumbs Up 5

The Groundhog Hegdehog Day destroyer of GHZ has finally been identified.

Basically nothing much, but hey, adorable shots of a hedgehog.

• Thumbs Up 4

I'm shocked on how much this girl grew :) I remember her early works, which were already really great. I convenced her to send some of them to the TSSZ "Fans on Friday", and she really did it :) I believe it was there when she was noticed by SEGA. She's a very nice, funny girl.

• Thumbs Up 2

Apparently people are angry because Sonic attacked transgendered people today...

Can someone explain to me how that attacks anyone other than helicopters? Or maybe hedgehogs themselves?

Woah! Did Sonic seriously say "check your privilege?" 

I think he's trying to be funny with the misuse of that haha XD

I can see how, to be fair. People are trying to get their plight taken seriously and then you get stuff like that. 

• Thumbs Up 1

It's a bit of a sketchy subject to make jokes about. I'm sure he didn't intend it this way, but it's not a far jump to see "I identify as *absurd thing you could not possibly be*" as mocking people who identify as a different gender than they were assigned at birth, and implying that that is equally absurd as identifying as a helicopter.

• Thumbs Up 7

Ruby's day at work:

W3JvSkZ.gif

But seriously, I can see people having a problem with "check your privilege" cause that's just become obnoxious. Though the problem here is more that some people see "I identify as an attack helicopter" as a transphobic joke, or at least dislike that it is mocking otherkin. Like Diogenes said, it's a sketchy subject to make jokes about cause some people can easily be offended by that. Knowing Ruby I doubt that he actually intended to offend anyone with that tweet.

So basically according to some people we're not allowed to say check your privilege anymore because it somehow undermines them?

Just now, Detective Hogfather said:

So basically according to some people we're not allowed to say check your privilege anymore because it somehow undermines them?

No, it's because of the "I identify as an attack helicopter" thing.

2 minutes ago, Detective Hogfather said:

"Basically" you should not say things that mock the struggles of marginalized groups.

• Thumbs Up 3

2 minutes ago, Detective Hogfather said:

Can someone explain to me how this does that because I really don't get it.

43 minutes ago, Diogenes said:

It's a bit of a sketchy subject to make jokes about. I'm sure he didn't intend it this way, but it's not a far jump to see "I identify as *absurd thing you could not possibly be*" as mocking people who identify as a different gender than they were assigned at birth, and implying that that is equally absurd as identifying as a helicopter.

I'm not sure what more explanation you need than that.

• Thumbs Up 4

13 minutes ago, Diogenes said:

"Basically" you should not say things that mock the struggles of marginalized groups.

especially since things like privilege exist no matter how much people love to deny it. 

basically, by saying "check your privilege" coupled with "we identify", they are pretty much saying that they "identify" as a "obscure" brand of species and that the asker should check their privilege because of how easy they have it. i can see how it can be offensive and i'm kinda disappointed. i mean damn, do you need us to write your material for you? 

I'll be brutally honest: gender dysphoria is a serious issue and not a thing to be messed with, but the ones messing with it are ones who equate trans people to otherkin. The "phenomenon" of fox/whale/fiction/goddess deity people is not yet explored outside of the Internet (specifically Tumblr), so there's every reason to think these people might not be serious. Even if science eventually discovers that otherkin really preceive themselves that way due to differences in brain structure (just like genuine trans people do), most of them might just be bandwagonners. It's always a hip thing to be different, whether it's about being a punk, hipster, bisexual - anything, even being trans. A lot of people identifying as trans went through neither surgery nor HRT (which aren't a walk in the park, mind it), they just feel like "hey, I cut my hair and dress in pants, look at me - I'm special!" And now we have transethnic multisystem Fluttershy-kin added to the equation. If anything, that's mocking trans people, and not what Ruby did.

Why did anyone have to draw the implication that the joke laughs off trans people when it's clearly about inhumane things? These are completely different things, and drawing associations to that kind of extent might just mean you have a problem. Heck, if you know you are different and you can't take a joke this mild, you should question your life choices. People naturally have differences, and all kinds of differences have been joked about, so why does this have to be different? Because you can't adapt to the society, so you need it to bend over you?

As for "check your privilege" thing, it's a phrase designed specifically to not let people speak on certain subjects. It dismisses potentially important opinions based on person's identity, even denying their life experiences. It is an ad hominem at its finest, and it shouldn't just be mocked - it needs to die out.

• Thumbs Up 2

You know, this is kind of ironic given how I frequently complain about the whole memes thing, but I really think it's people taking a stupid joke far too seriously.

• Thumbs Up 5

2 hours ago, isCasted said:

As for "check your privilege" thing, it's a phrase designed specifically to not let people speak on certain subjects. It dismisses potentially important opinions based on person's identity, even denying their life experiences. It is an ad hominem at its finest, and it shouldn't just be mocked - it needs to die out.

Yeah I have to agree even as someone who is for social justice, that that phrase needs to stop being misused. I thought that the Sonic Twitter was deliberately misusing the phrase to be funny. But it's mostly used to shut people up, especially the people who do benefit from institutional privilege. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Why did anyone have to draw the implication that the joke laughs off trans people when it's clearly about inhumane things?

Because assholes use that same kind of "joke" to disparage trans people? "Oh you think a man can just decide to be a woman? Well then I identify as a helicopter!" And again, I'm not suggesting that he intended it that way, I'm sure he didn't intend to offend anyone, but when your joke is basically the same thing an asshole would say, then it was probably a mistake.

• Thumbs Up 2

Well, I just stumbled upon this reaction tweet and it might just be useful for this situation. These are our new row of Sonic fans, people!

If this is exploitation, then they're begging for it anyway.

I don't know but I'm kinda sick of most of the jokes towards SJWs as if it's ok to make fun of people who ARE TRYING TO FIGHT FOR EQUALITY!  Now the Sonic Twitter is doing it to..... ugh

• Thumbs Up 1

But that's the thing, SJW's AREN'T fighting for equality. They're just reversing the oppression paradigm. That's why people attack them.

But that's implying that the Sonic Twitter account isn't just fucking regurgitating memes as per usual. Which I seriously doubt that Arron is doing.

• Thumbs Up 7

9 minutes ago, shdowhunt60 said:

But that's the thing, SJW's AREN'T fighting for equality. They're just reversing the oppression paradigm. That's why people attack them.

Most "SJW"s are just people with more enthusiasm than sense. There's no concerted effort to "reverse the oppression paradigm" or any such bullshit.

• Thumbs Up 6