NoirSuede

Tumblr/Twitter Sonic's latest exploits

Why did anyone have to draw the implication that the joke laughs off trans people when it's clearly about inhumane things?

Because assholes use that same kind of "joke" to disparage trans people? "Oh you think a man can just decide to be a woman? Well then I identify as a helicopter!" And again, I'm not suggesting that he intended it that way, I'm sure he didn't intend to offend anyone, but when your joke is basically the same thing an asshole would say, then it was probably a mistake.

Well, I just stumbled upon this reaction tweet and it might just be useful for this situation. These are our new row of Sonic fans, people!

If this is exploitation, then they're begging for it anyway.

But that's the thing, SJW's AREN'T fighting for equality. They're just reversing the oppression paradigm. That's why people attack them.

But that's implying that the Sonic Twitter account isn't just fucking regurgitating memes as per usual. Which I seriously doubt that Arron is doing.

9 minutes ago, shdowhunt60 said:

But that's the thing, SJW's AREN'T fighting for equality. They're just reversing the oppression paradigm. That's why people attack them.

Most "SJW"s are just people with more enthusiasm than sense. There's no concerted effort to "reverse the oppression paradigm" or any such bullshit.

Honestly this seemed much less "offensive" than a single episode of the current season of South Park, and there wasn't much anger or complaining with that show and its whole PC angle. Actually, I saw praise and people saying it was the best season in years. So to me, I don't really consider this simple joke that big a deal. Though I'm not super all PC like some here, so maybe that plays a part in why this doesn't sting me or make me sigh in disappointment.

4 hours ago, Pauly-kun said:

I like Sonic's twitter, is so funny.

Yeah, SJW's doesn't understand jokes, they're offended by everything imo.

Most people don't understand jokes. Hence why a lot of bigoted fuckery gets excused as a joke.

It's hard to tell in the short context of a two-message Twitter conversation who the actual punchline is- trans people or otherkin-like communities that have co-opted trans culture- because of the language being so similar. Without an understanding of this the punchline is ambiguous, ergo it's not a good joke (not to mention there's never been a context where Sonic himself transformed into a chopper, so the punchline is dumb on that front.) I can see why trans people and those who empathize with them would have a problem with the Tweet and Aaron would do good to apologize for messing up.

Comedy is a skill. Saying dumb shit or playing around doesn't constitute comedy anymore than a person accidentally falling over some paint buckets exercises actual understanding of mastery of controlled realism in painting. If you want to be funny and not an asshole, you need to have some understanding of this.

7 hours ago, isCasted said:

As for "check your privilege" thing, it's a phrase designed specifically to not let people speak on certain subjects. It dismisses potentially important opinions based on person's identity, even denying their life experiences. It is an ad hominem at its finest, and it shouldn't just be mocked - it needs to die out.

"I know how to make this new rocket work!"

"Sir who are you?"

"The person going to save this rocket!"

"Sir, are you in any way qualified to perform the physical calculations necessary to solve this problem?"

"I don't need to know that! I'm a human being with good intentions!"

"Have you even stepped into an astrophysics class before?"

"You don't need to experience astrophysics to make a million dollar rocket work!"

"Sir, I'm gonna ask you to leave."

"DON'T DENY MY LIFE EXPERIENCE!"

I haven't laughed this hard because of the sonic twitter in

probably since this campaign started

oh that's beautiful, what on earth was aaron thinking and how unaware are "normal people" of the volatibility of idpol nowadays if he thought he could fly (like an attack helicopter!) with it

I didn't even know that that joke can be viewed as a transphobic joke. And here I am thinking when I saw that tweet was, "lol Sonic the Hedgecopter?! Sounds like the next Thomas/CrazySonic fanhack?"

I mean, does anyone honestly think Aaron will openly mock transgender people?! It's just ridiculous. That's just it, as the saying goes "don't make mountains out of molehills". And I'm guessing this more fuel for those who absolutely despise Aaron's tweets. So yep, this looks pretty dumb to me.

Well I mean, to be fair, and to the people saying it's an otherkin joke, it's a reference to a copypasta literally starting with "I sexually identify as an Attack Helicopter". No ambiguity what it's about :v it's as if he made a joke about removing kebabs, he's not talking about culinary with that, innit?

My point of confusion here is just if he thought no-one'd notice, no-one'd care, or genuinely that we don't live in a world of outrage in any corner ready to explode at every shoedrop. Something here doesn't really compute, especially for as internet-savvy as he's appeared to be, but that's half the reason I'm laughing so hard

oh that'd be the cherry on the cake. I'd forgive my hate of corporativist meme usage for a while and admit to loving the account if he'd dare to take things that far. It'd also be really dumb of him, mind

EDIT: I wonder if he just mixed it with the "In every levels except physical I identify as an [X]" maymay

2 minutes ago, The KKM said:

The only part that should be a problem here is the "offensive", if you're going to claim it's wrong for the sonic twitter to use memes originating from imageboards you're effectively firing poor aaron

There's also much worse material Aaron could draw from imageboards, much worse. Though I must admit, I'd laugh pretty heavily if he shoops a picture of Sonic with Mac Tonight.

"Doc Eggman's here to give you your daily dose!"

EDIT: wait no fuck I mean aaron stop shoving being a memelord shoving memes into the mainstream that's awful it's awful enough to see marvel make covers with deadpool badly misquoting the doubles checking rituals

6 hours ago, Nepenthe said:

Most people don't understand jokes. Hence why a lot of bigoted fuckery gets excused as a joke.

It's hard to tell in the short context of a two-message Twitter conversation who the actual punchline is- trans people or otherkin-like communities that have co-opted trans culture- because of the language being so similar. Without an understanding of this the punchline is ambiguous, ergo it's not a good joke (not to mention there's never been a context where Sonic himself transformed into a chopper, so the punchline is dumb on that front.) I can see why trans people and those who empathize with them would have a problem with the Tweet and Aaron would do good to apologize for messing up.

Comedy is a skill. Saying dumb shit or playing around doesn't constitute comedy anymore than a person accidentally falling over some paint buckets exercises actual understanding of mastery of controlled realism in painting. If you want to be funny and not an asshole, you need to have some understanding of this.

They were talking about hedgehogs and attack helicopters - there was nothing ambiguous about it. "Offended" people had to got out of their way to draw this parallel. When people are specifically looking into things to be offended at, it's clear they either haven't gone through an actual offense or plainly enjoy victimhood status. I am all against actual offense, I'm not willing to tolerate hatred, but believing in emotions of random people on the Internet who can't stand things that are perfectly normal for others (including other trans individuals) is naive at best and harmful at worst.

Also, apparently people like John Cleese and Stephen Fry have no sense of humor. Who would have thought?

6 hours ago, Nepenthe said:

*weird strawman mockery about rocketships*

Sorry, but I expected better from a person who generally tries to keep discussions civil here.

48 minutes ago, isCasted said:

They were talking about hedgehogs and attack helicopters - there was nothing ambiguous about it. "Offended" people had to got out of their way to draw this parallel. When people are specifically looking into things to be offended at, it's clear they either haven't gone through an actual offense or plainly enjoy victimhood status. I am all against actual offense, I'm not willing to tolerate hatred, but believing in emotions of random people on the Internet who can't stand things that are perfectly normal for others (including other trans individuals) is naive at best and harmful at worst.

Also, apparently people like John Cleese and Stephen Fry have no sense of humor. Who would have thought?

Saying the joke is about hedgehogs and helicopters is a surface-level reading because you're taking the symbols at face value. The subtext of the joke (and it can't even be called subtext because of how the question was framed) was obviously about how people choose to identify themselves, with the first tweet asking the question about if Sonic identified as a hedgehog and Aaron making up another identifier instead complete with a eyeroll-worthy "check your privilege." There is a serious lack of understanding about transgender identities that has allowed its community to be co-opted both by online subcultures and ignorant bigots through the use of unscientific identities ("I identify as a god/fox/car herpaderp"), and it's this kind of nonsense that fosters ignorance and transphobic attitudes. As a result of this kind of cross-contamination and ignorance, the joke in play is a very difficult one to nail without accidentally punching down on transgender people in the process.

Ergo, to say people were "looking to be offended" is to basically throw a middle finger to the obvious sociopolitical context that made the joke possible in the first place. It's also to give credence to a joke with a shitty punchline because- as I said- it's completely ambiguous who the actual target is: transgender people or the online sub-communities/bigots co-opting trans culture for their own benefit. Without elaboration it's nearly impossible to tell, and any joke that needs elaboration is, mechanically, a bad joke. It's also just a shitty thing to say in general because it presumes a hell of a lot about a person's motives. Does anyone honestly believe in some conspiratorial nonsense that people are scouting the Sonic The Hedgehog Twitter account, of all accounts, looking for sociopolitical stuff to be offended by (to what end, honestly? Like, seriously, what is the end goal of these people "looking to be offended"?), or is it more likely that Aaron simply made a bad joke and people reacted naturally to it?

Sorry, but I expected better from a person who generally tries to keep discussions civil here.

Complaining that the phrase "check your privilege" means "not allowed to talk at all" isn't civil discourse at this point. It's whining. I don't tolerate whining.

Edited by Nepenthe