Awoo.

Tumblr/Twitter Sonic's latest exploits

NoirSuede

I see no issue with the mass voting provided they're voting according to who they really like, and from what I hear, there actually is some division on the voting, so the whole "vote for Eggman because he is the best anti-furry" isn't completely true.

Now sure, granted this poll is geared towards the Sonic fanbase... but it would seem kind of elitist in my opinion to say casual gamers can't have a say as well.

My main problem would be if proxies were used to place multiple votes. This is what happened when Gamespot (I think it was) was holding their own voting tournament. Those two bubble lizard dudes came out on top because a group of people from 4chan were using proxy after proxy to rack up votes for them.

Ultimately though, it is inconsequential. Free participation opens itself to a score of problems; Sonic Revolution 2014 distributed 200 tickets but only had 50 attendees show up, because the tickets were free.

If SEGA wants a truly representative poll, they would need to include a code in each of their games that carried registration perks. That's about as close as they could get to including a community, as otherwise the free and anonymous nature of things takes effect.

• Thumbs Up 2

That's hard as nails, it ain't hard to tell.

Whoo, completely disregarding rules in response to them being stated outright, that won't get you in trouble at all.

In regards to mulitple votes per person though, I'm pretty sure Eggman would have won otherwise. And honestly, it's not as if this wasn't going on before, there just wasn't a thread about it. I'm not saying it should have happened in the first place, but there's not a whole lot we can really do against it.

As for "anti-furry" stuff. I don't actually know who here is or isn't a furry, or if anti-furry is just regarding anthro characters, but either way it's horseshit. I think the worst part is I can't come up with a clever analogy for this like I usually do, because it's stuff that already goes on anyway. I just don't know how to handle this.

Maybe, Maybe not.

Hey no, I'm perfectly fine with more users here, I'm just predicting that a lot of these don't actually give as much of a shit as it might look.

Edited by Shaddy

As far as I know, no one has decided to or even accused SSMB of making a concerted effort to band together to vote for any single character. We're also not arguing that what you're doing is illegal (and in any event, using "it's not against the rules" isn't a solid defense for the ethics of a behavior). We're arguing that it's unsportsmanlike and thus becomes a poll about /v/'s favorite characters versus the fandom's favorite characters.

Also to the rest of you, listen to Azoo and cut the spam out. There's no use coming here to defend yourselves if you're going to bandy about the topic.

People voted Amy in their few but /v/ likes the doc, nothing wrong with that and it's not breaking the rules or anything. That's just the way the site works.

If anything you guys are over reacting and putting all the eggs into one basket. (Pun intended) 

This is all in good fun, NOTHING is rigged.

• Thumbs Up 1

I breakem down whether they solid or frail

Much like the mods are going to do to your account.

Anyway...I think the only way I'd vote for Amy over Eggman would be if it was Boom Amy versus shitty conehead American Eggman from the 90's.

Edited by Shaddy

I see no issue with the mass voting provided they're voting according to who they really like, and from what I hear, there actually is some division on the voting, so the whole "vote for Eggman because he is the best anti-furry" isn't completely true.

Now sure, granted this poll is geared towards the Sonic fanbase... but it would seem kind of elitist in my opinion to say casual gamers can't have a say as well.

My main problem would be if proxies were used to place multiple votes. This is what happened when Gamespot (I think it was) was holding their own voting tournament. Those two bubble lizard dudes came out on top because a group of people from 4chan were using proxy after proxy to rack up votes for them.

Ultimately though, it is inconsequential. Free participation opens itself to a score of problems; Sonic Revolution 2014 distributed 200 tickets but only had 50 attendees show up, because the tickets were free.

If SEGA wants a truly representative poll, they would need to include a code in each of their games that carried registration perks. That's about as close as they could get to including a community, as otherwise the free and anonymous nature of things takes effect.

You're pretty swell and you know what you're talking about which is a nice change.

Much like the mods are about to do to your account.

I think that was...

...part of his plan.

His MASTER PLAN.

Dude, are you trying to do a tough act or something

anyways, this is basically the same as when you had Retro members calling for Big, or if I now post VOTE FOR STICKS. Doesn't mean when future SSMBers do vote for Sticks they're doing so because of an effort between me and them or me and SSMB.

• Thumbs Up 1

Arguing /v/'s making a concerted effort to band together on anything's naïve at best, though. I mean. Come on.

You say this as if I should be familiar with /v/. I don't go on 4chan.

People voted Amy in their few but /v/ likes the doc, nothing wrong with that and it's not breaking the rules or anything. That's just the way the site works.

If anything you guys are over reacting and putting all the eggs into one basket. (Pun intended) 

This is all in good fun, NOTHING is rigged.

Again, the argument that was originally brought up was not that what you were doing was against the rules. The argument that was originally brought up was that the site as a whole was making concentrated effort to skew the poll results which comes off as unsportsmanlike. The idea of using different IPs or whatever to stuff ballots was an accusation that was brought up but which no one took seriously. If you're saying that /v/ just has more numbers than it's whatever, although I can't say I'm not disappointed because honestly I just don't give a rat's ass about Eggman anymore. But whatever.

I breakem down whether they solid or frail

This is your last warning. Anymore of this and you'll have to go.

Sorry, but unlike the rest I'm independent. It's my first breath, first test. Feel the right, then the worst's left.

• Thumbs Up 2

Sorry, but unlike the rest I'm independent. It's my first breath, first test. Feel the right, then the worst's left.

Aaand-its-gone.jpg

Anyway, has Sega ever done a poll like this before? I feel like I've seen it a bunch of times, but I'm guessing those were all fan-made and decades old. That, along with animations on youtube, newgrounds, or (god forbid) scratch of the different really weird and sometimes dumb character match-ups (I swear to god I've seen stuff like Shadow vs. Cheese before) makes it a massive blur in my head.

Anyway, I know it ain't happening, but I want Silver to win just because of how much his character has been salvaged (mostly by the Archie comics) after his introduction in the worst game in the series.

Edited by Shaddy

Aaand-its-gone.jpg

Your instigation hasn't gone unnoticed either. Anymore of this shit- in this topic or elsewhere- and you can go on ModQueue too.

• Thumbs Up 7

You say this as if I should be familiar with /v/. I don't go on 4chan.

I wouldn't think you'd need to.

Switch the places- if /v/ suddenly had a thread saying SSMB is voting for Big, does that seem legit to you or more likely someone having a silly panic over multiple people from the same place voting on Big because they wanted to?

• Thumbs Up 2

As far as I know, no one has decided to or even accused SSMB of making a concerted effort to band together to vote for any single character. We're also not arguing that what you're doing is illegal (and in any event, using "it's not against the rules" isn't a solid defense for the ethics of a behavior). We're arguing that it's unsportsmanlike and thus becomes a poll about /v/'s favorite characters versus the fandom's favorite characters.

Also to the rest of you, listen to Azoo and cut the spam out. There's no use coming here to defend yourselves if you're going to bandy about the topic.

So should votes be rationed based on the community the poster regards themselves as from? Because people from /v/ primarily by and large are either gonna vote for Eggman or not vote. Not every single person who browses /v/ will vote for him, but most will because he's popular in that community. That's all it is.

• Thumbs Up 1

I wouldn't think you'd need to.

Switch the places- if /v/ suddenly had a thread saying SSMB is voting for Big, does that seem legit to you or more likely someone having a silly panic over multiple people from the same place voting on Big because they wanted to?

Of course not, but you're ignoring the two key points: 1.) I have more knowledge of the way SSMB works due to my participation in the community and thus anything that doesn't align with that viewpoint is going to be contested, and 2.) An actual member who also goes on 4Chan is the one who brought this accusation to light, and in good faith of his reporting I took his word for it and reacted. You're acting like I came to the conclusion that this must be /v/'s fault- and specifically /v/s fault- because some conspiracy must be in play on my own.

So should votes be rationed based on the community the poster regards themselves as from? Because people from /v/ primarily by and large are either gonna vote for Eggman or not vote. Not every single person who browses /v/ will vote for him, but most will because he's popular in that community. That's all it is.

Well put.

That's just how it is, word for word.

• Thumbs Up 1

Of course not, but you're ignoring the two key points: 1.) I have more knowledge of the way SSMB works due to my participation in the community and thus anything that doesn't align with that viewpoint is going to be contested, and 2.) An actual member who also goes on 4Chan is the one who brought this accusation to light, and in good faith of his reporting I took his word for it and reacting. You're acting like I came to the conclusion that this must be /v/'s fault because some conspiracy must be in play on my own.

No conspiracy, I'm just (admittedly condescendingly) trying to tell you "it's a bunch of anonymous users, don't assume they all share opinions or can organize anything that'll represent such a number of members you can describe them as the entire board".

Or put another way, "[chinese animation imageboard] is not a hivemind".

• Thumbs Up 4

I don't think we should fault /v/ for voting whoever they want, even if it was a group effort. Really, it's no different than a popular fanarist making a blog and saying "Vote for Tails!" because they like Tails. And chances are, the fanartist's fans also like Tails because they draw Tails the most. Both are group things, both are concentrated, it's just the /v/ probably gets more views and thus have more attention.

• Thumbs Up 3

Aaand-its-gone.jpg

Anyway, has Sega ever done a poll like this before? I feel like I've seen it a bunch of times, but I'm guessing those were all fan-made and decades old. That, along with animations on youtube, newgrounds, or (god forbid) scratch of the different really weird and sometimes dumb character match-ups (I swear to god I've seen stuff like Shadow vs. Cheese before) makes it a massive blur in my head.

Anyway, I know it ain't happening, but I want Silver to win just because of how much his character has been salvaged (mostly by the Archie comics) after his introduction in the worst game in the series.

From Sonic Retro:

"With choices including the obvious (Miles "Tails" ProwerKnuckles the Echidna) and some from left field (Espio the Chameleon), the winner of the poll would be none other than Shadow the Hedgehog, the "Ultimate Lifeform" that had been introduced in Sonic Adventure 2 and was proven to still be alive (in some form) in Heroes."

Anyway, yes. There was a poll like this before ShtH was released and we got a pretty bad game from it.

• Thumbs Up 3

There's no assurance that a competition like this would lead to the same results, but yes, I wouldn't take this poll too lightly.

Similarly, there was a poll asking what the most popular stages were back in 2010 or so, right? IIRC, most of those ended up becoming stages in Sonic Generations (which explains why they were all greenery and/or city tropes: those are the most popular choices, simple as that).

Edited by Azoo
  • Thumbs Up 3

Of course not, but this is irrelevant to the accusation that was brought up in the first place, and I've already admitted I've let go of the initial accusation.

No conspiracy, I'm just (admittedly condescendingly) trying to tell you "it's a bunch of anonymous users, don't assume they all share opinions or can organize anything that'll represent such a number of members you can describe them as the entire board".

Or put another way, "[chinese animation imageboard] is not a hivemind".

Using anonymity as a shield is pretty irrational. The ability for some people in a group to share opinions does not lead to the conclusion that every single individual within a group shares opinions (a conclusion literally no one was operating with. When people say /v/, they mean it as a metonym for the relevant members of this discussion). The fact that we're all in agreement that /v/ has largely voted for Eggman because they like him presumes this to be true, and subsequently the same goes for organizing. You do not need to be in perfect lockstep harmony to organize, really. In short, you cannot agree that /v/ prefers Eggman in the context of this poll if you presume that they cannot share opinions as well. It doesn't make sense and has been a fundamental theoretical problem of discussing the actions of anon boards for awhile.

From Sonic Retro:

"With choices including the obvious (Miles "Tails" ProwerKnuckles the Echidna) and some from left field (Espio the Chameleon), the winner of the poll would be none other than Shadow the Hedgehog, the "Ultimate Lifeform" that had been introduced in Sonic Adventure 2 and was proven to still be alive (in some form) in Heroes."

Anyway, yes. There was a poll like this before ShtH was released and we got a pretty bad game from it.

So, does that mean that because this poll is happening, the next game will be about whoever wins? Because...that seems like a really bad course of action.

I'm kidding of course, I highly doubt they'd make the same mistake twice, but thinking about it, who would we want to win if that was our motivation? Honestly, the fact that Shadow was a bad game isn't something to be ignored in my eyes, because I really want to see that story told again, but better. I know that's mostly for the comics to handle with all of their spinoff stuff, but if Shadow got a new game that painted him in a less...stupid image, that could clear up a lot of the "ow the edge" nonsense.

There's no assurance that a competition like this would lead to the same results, but yes, I wouldn't take this poll too lightly.

Similarly, there was a poll asking what the most popular stages were back in 2010 or so, right? IIRC, most of those ended up becoming stages in Sonic Generations (which explains why they were all greenery and/or city tropes: those are the most popular choices, simple as that).

Actually, that puts me into the state of mind of "whoever wins becomes an important side character in the next game, perhaps playable" thought.

But then again, you can't play as Chao or Eggman generally. Egh, whatever. I don't think using polls to determine that stuff would be right anyway.

However I will once again restate that voting on who we want to write the series that knows it well would be fantastic, because then it wouldn't matter.

Edited by Shaddy

There's no assurance that a competition like this would lead to the same results, but yes, I wouldn't take this poll too lightly.

What could this particular poll possibly mean in the grand scheme of things, though? It's not as if the majority of these characters aren't already pretty irrelevant anyway, either through lack of appearances or because they're appearing without other group members. And I personally don't think Sega is gearing up to actually do anything interesting with them in light of their recent success that's come about partly because most of them have been absent. And an actual retirement of these characters would be just way too cruel. =(

The fact some of you are actually worked up about this is more hilarious than anything. Relax, it's just a for-fun character poll. It's not like in 2004 where Sega coyly released a "WHO DO YOU WANT TO GET A NEW GAME?" poll knowing full well Shadow was going to win it.

I actually love that everyone's galvanizing behind the good doctor. He's honestly the only character worth giving any sort of damn about in this otherwise sorry excuse of a franchise. And it doesn't show much sign of changing, at least on Sega's front. 

Besides, it's pretty clear the final is going to involve Shadow in some way, as he's the #2 character. Would not be surprise if Ow the Edge/crappy furry Solid Snake wins it all. At least this ballot stuffing is entertaining, like the many popularity polls 4chan's messed up in the past.

Never forget Bubble Bobble and Launchpad.

• Thumbs Up 7

If the poll is asking "Which of all these choices would you like to see in the next Sonic game?" again, then it's the chao garden or bust for me

• Thumbs Up 2