Awoo.

Think *secondary character* could carry their own series?

SatAMhog

She has an entire dimension that's ripe for exploring and no real established cast.  If Sega really wanted to get more female fans, they should do a Blaze centric game(Sonic Rush Adventure took place in her dimension but that was still primarily Sonic's game) or even an IDW mini-series like they're doing with Tangle and Whisper, which I highly support as I love those characters.  Plus, I want to see more Eggman Nega.  Do you think it's a possibility?

I dunno.

I don't think anyone wants to follow a tsundere cat princess.

She doesn't get along with others, so people may be put off by her stand-offish nature.

That might also affect how consumers feel as well, probably not a very good idea, in this random opinion.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Promotion 1

I think blaze along with knuckles, Amy, tails and shadow could hold their own. She has a lot of potential story wise and gameplay wise quite a few characters do.

Sega doesn't nurture it though, which is unfortunate

• Thumbs Up 2

Absolutely yes, I think she could hold a series of her own no problem, she has a cool design, great gameplay potential (she is the best to play as in the games she's in). Tbh she already should be some kind of second protagonist along with Sonic and Shadow in the Modern games. All three work perfectly with the boost.

• Thumbs Up 1

Here's a thing: when you think about them in a void, most of Sonic characters could hold their own.
Chaotix could have a comedy detective adventure Sam & Max or spoofs on crime movies ala Sly Cooper.
Knuckles could travel the world looking for treasure like Megaman Legends with Breath of the Wild gliding/climbing mechanics.
Shadow could... well I would buy a Devil May Cry mixed with Sonic feel, but I'm afraid world isn't ready.

The points is that in THEORY the answer with most of the guys is yes. But when you think about characters in a context of Sonic, no Sonic friend is getting a game anytime soon. That ship sailed in 2005 and they meet iceberg in 2006. You'll be lucky if Blaze gets playable role in any platformers in next decade.

Lastly, Blaze is fairly popular, but her world isn't. Her 'supportive cast' ranges from being neural (pirates, coalas) to negative (Nega, Marine) in general opinion.

• Thumbs Up 2

As stated any and all character's could hold  thier own. Eggman could have a series. But till sega learns how to make games such as botw quality  I'd not expect it

Circa 2008, maybe; though as pointed out above the poison of STH '06 and ShtH would have made it an iffy prospect already.

Now? Of course not. The genre in general is no longer popular enough to support such a game unless it was obviously an extension of the Sonic series and/or a budget 2D release (meaning probably just a Rush sequel or something where Sonic was still the main draw), and Blaze is about ten years removed from being a character with any actual focus where she would have had the popularity to justify it anyway.

• Thumbs Up 3

As much as I like Blaze...probably not. Even before considering Blaze herself, the Sonic series has already done a lot to poison its own reputation, and mascot platformers are not exactly the "in" thing anymore. I'd be surprised if any Sonic character could carry a spinoff series as things currently stand. And again, I like Blaze, but she doesn't really set herself apart from Sonic much. Her gameplay is the same kind of high-speed acrobatics, her villain (regardless of which you pick) is a variant of Eggman, she's got her own set of magic rocks that can grant her a powered-up form. This works pretty well within the Sonic series where you can leverage the fact that she's basically parallel-Sonic, but if she got her own separate series it could end up feeling pretty redundant. They could make up entirely new stuff for her games, of course, but then you're rolling the dice on new ideas, not really making use of what Blaze already offers.

If they felt they could get away with a Blaze spinoff I'd still absolutely like to see it, though.

• Thumbs Up 7

6 minutes ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

Here's a thing: when you think about them in a void, most of Sonic characters could hold their own.
Chaotix could have a comedy detective adventure Sam & Max or spoofs on crime movies ala Sly Cooper.
Knuckles could travel the world looking for treasure like Megaman Legends with Breath of the Wild gliding/climbing mechanics.
Shadow could... well I would buy a Devil May Cry mixed with Sonic feel, but I'm afraid world isn't ready.

The points is that in THEORY the answer with most of the guys is yes. But when you think about characters in a context of Sonic, no Sonic friend is getting a game anytime soon. That ship sailed in 2005 and they meet iceberg in 2006. You'll be lucky if Blaze gets playable role in any platformers in next decade.

Lastly, Blaze is fairly popular, but her world isn't. Her 'supportive cast' ranges from being neural (pirates, coalas) to negative (Nega, Marine) in general opinion.

1) Sam and max chaotic is a cool idea

2) you forgot tails mech game

3)Indiana knuckles is a idea that should have been done. He even has the hat

4) the shadow thing could work. Just no guns and cursing,  I dunno if you played dmc4 special edition but vergil moveset is legit just shadow. And then he could have like time stop parties

All you gotta do is make blazers world more interesting.

She has an interesting angle because you basically are being given a blank slate to do what you want without stepping on any toes but if you don't care about canon much you could do this with any character. Sonic'a world is big and ever changing.

I don't think it's a garunteed failure either but it's probably something you'd want to put out there after featuring Blaze heavily in the main series first. Right now I feel like Shadow or Knuckles would still be much easier sells to Sonic's demographic.

Like most questions of this ilk the typical answer is yes and no. As Blaze does indeed have more than enough to work with to build her own sub-franchise you have to contend with the fact that you'd have to create interest first. To do so you'd have to either make a new Sonic game where she is the focus to show off the character and hope she successfully draws the attention they want or you would provide rereleases of the games that she was playable in to see if there is still interest in the character in today's market. The problem there of course is would people believe that Sonic Team could recapture the magic or would they blindly buy a potentially misrepresenting game of who Blaze was (06 to most of her fans) just because she is on the cover? There's a lot of work that would go into just greenlighting such a project regardless of if it could work simply due to whether or not she is still marketable.

Do I think she could easily hold her own series?... YES! As long a actually good game is made with her... then that is all gamers really need in order to be interested. Good quality speaks for itself. I personally feel many Sonic fans overthink these kinds of subjects with some believing all stars MUST be perfectly aligned in order for a spinoff series to ever work.

Furthermore I agree that In theory there is a lot of Sonic characters they could hold their own spinoff series if high quality was given to their games. As for Blaze herself, she has her own untapped separate dimension that could be explored and greatly expended upon which leads itself to really nice possibilities. I am not really to worried about what gameplay her game could be given as there is lots of good ideas they could go with... even if they just made a Sonic Unleashed daytime stages type game with her I think that would be fine enough and doesn't matter that they can do the same thing with Sonic. Blaze is hands down the most cool female in the series who appeals good to both males and female viewers easily, and if given the chance I could see her popularity sky rocketing quickly if put as the main character in a good game that people are actually aware exists on a bigger scale.

At the end of the day however... I don't think it really matters at this point, because I can't see Sonic-Team/SEGA be willing to give any Sonic side-cast member a chance to star in a spinoff game anytime soon nowadays no matter how popular a character might be or has the chance to be.

• Thumbs Up 1

Honestly I'd take a Amy game before blaze. Is she even popular in japan ? Also what was the last spinoff

2 hours ago, StaticMania said:

I dunno.

I don't think anyone wants to follow a tsundere cat princess.

She doesn't get along with others, so people may be put off by her stand-offish nature.

That might also affect how consumers feel as well, probably not a very good idea, in this random opinion.

Blaze has a decently big fanbase actually! I know want to follow her and so would quite lot of others I believe. Also Tsundere characters are adorable! There is loads of grumpy and even pretty mean main characters in videos games... It rarely ever hurts people from enjoying them far as I know! It is not as if only a few personality types appeals to people in the world. xD'

2 minutes ago, Lord-Dreamerz said:

Blaze has a decently big fanbase actually! I know want to follow her and so would quite lot of others I believe. Also Tsundere characters are adorable! There is loads of grumpy and even pretty mean main characters in videos games... It rarely ever hurts people from enjoying them far as I know! It is not as if only a few personality types appeals to people in the world. xD'

I don't actually think that. I know Blaze is the 3rd/2nd most popular female character. I was just making a scenario.

Ya know, she might even be higher than Marine. She's that cool.

I absolutely think they could have, if they'd gone all in on it around the Rush/Adventure era, when Blaze was at her most relevant and probably her most popular.

These days, though, Sonic's friends are barely allowed to co-star.

• Thumbs Up 1

Doubtful. Sonic struggles enough as the titular character as is. I don't think it'd sell either til the brand builds itself up to a point it could be plausible. Sonic just isn't a strong brand right now to take these risks. Her Co-Staring again I could see for sure in the future.

1 hour ago, Lord-Dreamerz said:

Do I think she could easily hold her own series?... YES! As long a actually good game is made with her... then that is all gamers really need in order to be interested. Good quality speaks for itself. I personally feel many Sonic fans overthink these kinds of subjects with some believing all stars MUST be perfectly aligned in order for a spinoff series to ever work.

45 minutes ago, Lord-Dreamerz said:

Blaze has a decently big fanbase actually! I know want to follow her and so would quite lot of others I believe.

I think people in all fanbases dramatically overstate the perceived internal popularity of something as it pertains to whether people outside of the fanbase actually care. Sonic games themselves, starring Sonic and having Sonic in the title, aren't automatic huge sellers; and probably wouldn't be in this console generation even if the games had been all sterling. The genre in general has been fairly dormant since the early years of the PS3, with far better games than anything Sonic has put out in that time period have not selling well enough to justify further investment.

40 minutes ago, StaticMania said:

I don't actually think that. I know Blaze is the 3rd/2nd most popular female character. I was just making a scenario.

Ya know, she might even be higher than Marine. She's that cool.

She's so cool that she may be more popular than a character who appeared in only one game 12 years ago that in-universe everyone couldn't stand?

• Thumbs Up 2

34 minutes ago, StaticMania said:

Ya know, she might even be higher than Marine. She's that cool.

Marine who? Even Sticks has made more appearances than Marine. 

6 minutes ago, Tornado said:

...who appeared in only one game 12 years ago...

She also appeared in the comics, that was pretty cool.

Even in-universe they couldn't stand her, huh...I'm glad I can.

Yes provided that her gameplay offers a different experience from other Sonic games.

Maybe not Sonic Team developing it, they'd try and force Classic Sonic in there somewhere. Or some other kind of stupidity far beyond our mortal understanding.

Eh, probably.

There's a whole dimension, some implied upbringing, a few supporting characters, and even alternate Emeralds of seemingly more specific power in place already that can be explored. And given that Blaze would both appeal to the particular progressive in addition to her already existing(Western) fanbase, there is indeed a market.

I imagine it wouldn't even take that much hard work or thought, since there are numerous floating ideas and unused concepts that could be transplanted there. Plus, her world being fairly unexplored outside of seven islands and the planet's core means they could get away with introducing whatever. Like, I imagine something like the Lost Hex could've been there without much explanation since it's a world ; if it was Blaze and the Lost Hex, you could have that moment at the beginning of the game with Marine & Blaze instead of Sonic & Tails and handwave it with "Blaze knows her mystical stuff." 

I agree with tornado on the fact people overstate characters they like as being popular as a whole. Just cause a artist some follow draws blaze every other week does not mean everyone in the fandom cares. Had it been during the first rush game era sure but now eh. But that's not to say if you like her shes bad in any way.

• Thumbs Up 2

3 hours ago, Wraith said:

She has an interesting angle because you basically are being given a blank slate to do what you want without stepping on any toes but if you don't care about canon much you could do this with any character. Sonic'a world is big and ever changing.

I don't think it's a garunteed failure either but it's probably something you'd want to put out there after featuring Blaze heavily in the main series first. Right now I feel like Shadow or Knuckles would still be much easier sells to Sonic's demographic.

Pretty much.

1 hour ago, Meta77 said:

Honestly I'd take a Amy game before blaze. Is she even popular in japan ? Also what was the last spinoff

Apparently, not very. Except maybe if Silver is alongside her.