Awoo.

Team Sonic Racing Overdrive (Part 2 Out Now)

Sonictrainer

2 minutes ago, Diogenes said:

Smearing's good though. TSRO looks pretty decent overall but the characters feel stiffer and more forcibly on-model compared to SMA's gleefully bouncy look.

Though to be fair that might've been a practical decision to keep them looking consistent with all the CG vehicles or something.

I do think it was a very conscious decision since the characters having the same type of motion like in SMA would had made their CGI rides to stick out too much, especially when Omega also happens to be made the same way.

• Thumbs Up 4

To all the posts which have shown me wrong, sorry I thought smears were used as a quick handed way of making up for less frames, and that more frames would make more fluid animation.

I admittedly know nothing about animations.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Absolutely 1

More frames is fluid, but not for faster movement.

Which this didn't have much of, despite being a race...ironically.

I'm glad these little animated shorts are going to be a regular thing, they're refreshing and a lot of fun. 

I'm glad to see them beeline toward an oddball like Big for the spotlight too, lmao. 

• Thumbs Up 3

I love how Sonic Team makes little TV shows for there games it really puts them in a new light.

2 hours ago, Skull Leader said:

tumblr_poh5wdd97Z1tht9sto3_540.gif

tumblr_poh5wdd97Z1tht9sto1_540.gif

LMAO.

How did I not catch her "!" the first time?

• Thumbs Up 1

Holy shit! Where did this come from?! A Modern Sonic short?! Sonic's so cool and chillaxed here! Tails got blowed up! Fucking... EGGMAN PUT A FAKE MUSTACHE ON AN EGG PAWN AND MADE IT SELL FROGGY MERCH!

This is going on the list of the Top 10 things I didn't know I wanted in life.

• Thumbs Up 5

This little introduction of Team Sonic & Team Rose is so adorable and Amy can't keep her eyes off of Sonic!

team rose.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

It's almost like...they're all looking at eachother.

They must be in super wuv.

Except for the Chao, who just have creep faces.

• Way Past Cool 1

2 hours ago, Dr. Detective Mike said:

Holy shit! Where did this come from?! A Modern Sonic short?! Sonic's so cool and chillaxed here! Tails got blowed up! Fucking... EGGMAN PUT A FAKE MUSTACHE ON AN EGG PAWN AND MADE IT SELL FROGGY MERCH!

This is going on the list of the Top 10 things I didn't know I wanted in life.

So what you wanted in life was

-Sonic being cool and chillaxed.

-Tails abuse

-Mustaches on robots

-Froggy merch.

Gotcha! 

1 hour ago, dbzfan7 said:

So what you wanted in life was

-Sonic being cool and chillaxed.

-Tails abuse

-Mustaches on robots

-Froggy merch.

Gotcha! 

No, not Froggy Merch and not Mustaches on Robots. An Egg Pawn in a fake mustache being forced to sell Froggy Merch! ALL OF THAT TOGETHER!!!

• Thumbs Up 2

4 minutes ago, Dr. Detective Mike said:

No, not Froggy Merch and not Mustaches on Robots. An Egg Pawn in a fake mustache being forced to sell Froggy Merch! ALL OF THAT TOGETHER!!!

Ah gotcha so

-Chill cool Sonic

-Tails being abused

-A mustachioed eggpawn selling Froggy merch!

• Way Past Cool 1

That was great as per usual. I echo others when they say I hope these shorts become a permanent staple.

So part 2, Team Vector and maybe Team Eggman? I really want to see Blaze and Silver animated in this fun style.

• Thumbs Up 2

For as much praise as I gave Mania Adventures, for some reason I've already watched this one like 5 times over.

I guess that just goes to show just how much bigger of a Modern Sonic fan I am. 

• Thumbs Up 2

Really like the artstyle for this short. The expressions are cool!

I'd be stoked if Blaze and Silver appear in the second one in this style!

• Thumbs Up 1

54 minutes ago, Dr. Detective Mike said:

For as much praise as I gave Mania Adventures, for some reason I've already watched this one like 5 times over.

I guess that just goes to show just how much bigger of a Modern Sonic fan I am. 

More characters = more fun.

Honestly, If you had told me going in that they were making another Sonic short, and it was going to focus mostly on Big I probably would have flipped a table... and yet this was extremely enjoyable... and I dislike me some Big.

Everything Hesse touches is gold. I need to invite King Midas over to my place to see if he can work that kind of magic on some stuff that I can flip on ebay for big $$$.

• Thumbs Up 1

To be totally honest, something about the animation feels just a touch... Off. Whether it's the use of 3D/rotoscoping for the cars and Omega, some more obvious Flash effects than in Mania Adventures (like rotating characters rather than fully animating them) or the fact that it seems to be more forcibly on-model most of the time, I can't quite put my finger on it. But focusing on those small things would be selling it short. This animation has a great deal of personality and was thoroughly enjoyable. It's as much Sonic in spirit as Mania Adventures was, and that's just awesome because it's totally Modern Sonic.

The entire thing had me smiling from start to finish, with plenty Easter Eggs and genuinely funny moments. The Chao making their "OOOH" excited sound at the end was probably the best bit. In general I kind of loved how they were presented. And then there was the part where Sonic, Amy, Shadow and the Chao almost ran over Big. Sonic, Amy and the Chao are still panicked and try to break, whilst Shadow just doubles down. Excellent 

So many good moments. It's great that, not only was Mania Adventures enough of a success for them to want to try this, but that they went on board straight away that they would be interested in doing more and on a larger scale if the opportunity arose. There's so much potential here. I hope this works out well for them.

• Thumbs Up 9

Sudden realization but if they do show up in the second half, it would be the first time we see Blaze and Silver in an animated short!

• Thumbs Up 8

Sonic Games just aren't animated enough.

Must specify...2D animation specifically.

Official 2D animation specifically again.

Wow! This is just fantastic!! Who knew it works with modern Sonic too! I really hope they give Neko Productions a shot at making a movie some time. Even if it's a direct to video thing because this animations are just perfection!

• Thumbs Up 1

Big was hilarious in this short, same also with Knuckles and a bit also the Chaos and Amy. Not so sure, if the next animated shorts can be as funny as this one. Team Dark is not really material for funny gags, same with Silver and Blaze.

11 minutes ago, Rowl said:

Big was hilarious in this short, same also with Knuckles and a bit also the Chaos and Amy. Not so sure, if the next animated shorts can be as funny as this one. Team Dark is not really material for funny gags, same with Silver and Blaze.

https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TheComicallySerious

...You seriously do not know the comically serious trope? Not just that, just because characters are more serious doesn't mean they can't be funny. Comedy can be made with everything.

I now that trope. And I also do know some characters like Squidward from Spongebob or the Brain from Pinky and the Brain that fall int that category. But those are characters that were invented in a comical story. I'm not so sure if you can pull off the same thing with the more serious Sonic characters since those were born in a more series era of Sonic and people love them for that.

Also, characters like Amy, Big and Knuckles do have got much more personality compare to Shadow and Blaze, who are more or less just blank slates.