Awoo.

Team Sonic Racing Overdrive (Part 2 Out Now)

Sonictrainer

Bit of a shame to see it's based on TSR, which is, uh, definitely not the most interesting thing that Sonic has done (e: I'll gladly take it over a Forces cartoon tho'). Still, first episode was pretty good, visuals seemed a little odd at times but it was fun and I enjoyed seeing Big get some attention.

• Thumbs Up 3

Okay, I didn't expect neither a Modern Sonic related animation, nor the animation being a TSR tie-in.

The 2D animation was quite great, pretty expressive and all. The 3D CG stuff kinda felt jarring tho. Maybe I'll get used to it, but right now I'm not too big on the 3D CG.

Also this was part 1 of the 2-parter, so it won't be as long as Mania Adventures. Still, I liked it, it was charming.

• Thumbs Up 1

It looks good and enjoyable which was expected since the people who made Mania Adventures are working on it, it's just that when people ask for a Modern Sonic animation they don't mean one based off of a kart racing game...

• Thumbs Up 2

Neat to see how they rendered Big's mouth in a way that could allow him to show clear emotion when necessary.

Shadow's eyes are amber here too. 

Conspicuous CG Omega.

Spoiler

And a happy FU from Omochao.

Knuckles is lucky it was in suction cup mode.

I like how Shadow didn't bother slowing down and is so nonchalant about potentially dislocating his back.

• Thumbs Up 2

That was good! The animation was cool and I loved Big’s scene where he’s crossing over to the stall with Froggy merch, it was cute! Might have to get a Froggy t shirt too. X3

I wish it wasn’t just two shorts though...and not all based on the racing game. 

• Thumbs Up 1

The animation is good as usual, and the best part of the panel AS usual. But I also enjoyed the TSR stuff. AND they acknowledged Boom AND the comics. I'm satisfied plus they announced production of the next game, and no movie of course, which will keep everyone calm for the moment...

• Thumbs Up 1

I love how this was basically an episode dedicated to mah boy Lord Big. 

He was pretty chill despite Sonic being the usual in-your face showoff (lol at that part where he nearly loses control of his vehicle), that is until he saw that juicy Froggy merchandise, and just when he was about to give up, that Eggpawn shows the sign with the word "FREE". XD

The best part is how he end up giving Team Rose the lead/win in this episode. >:3

#GoTeamRose!

• Thumbs Up 2

So I guess a Tyson Hesse led animation is just going to be a thing for every game now. I'm alright with that. 

This was a fun and genuinely funny short. I do kinda wish there was,a little voice acting. Didn't have to be full dialogue could have been just some grunts or something. 

• Thumbs Up 4

Oh look, there was a Modern Sonic animation after all, isn't that neat...

Hopefully another does do come out that is for something non-radical racer.

Also, Shadow looks like a cute mouse, never seen him in this style before.

I think the animation had a much bigger budget than Mania Adventures, there was a lot less smearing and et cetera.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, Gumbit said:

The animation was fantastic and charming , take notes Sonic Team .

... What is there to take notes on?

Their CGI are handled by outside companies, like this animation. And while yes there in game cutscene direction needs work , this type of animation doesn't really apply to all types of games. And even then their in game animations are generally fine

• Thumbs Up 2

Beautiful animation, hilarious antics, high-speed thrills, good character moments like Amy teasing Sonic and Knuckles faceplanting into the road, and lots of Big.

g1pfgwlefjm21.jpg?width=720&auto=webp&s=2032d762bc03663da2e35d8ba0fcd621e4a91f2f

May these shorts become a staple for future games.

• Thumbs Up 6

1 hour ago, Plasme said:

...there was a lot less smearing and et cetera.

What?

What do you mean? That has nothing to do with budget.

• Thumbs Up 6

6 minutes ago, Plasme said:

I think the animation had a much bigger budget than Mania Adventures, there was a lot less smearing and et cetera.

Animation smearing is not a sign of poor budget. It's a technique used to make certain movements look faster and smoother.

Just because smearing was not used, does not mean the budget is higher. Even Walt Disney's highest budget productions incorporated animation smears, because it helps in conveying movement.

• Thumbs Up 7
  • Fist Bump 2

21 minutes ago, Plasme said:

Smearing's good though. TSRO looks pretty decent overall but the characters feel stiffer and more forcibly on-model compared to SMA's gleefully bouncy look.

Though to be fair that might've been a practical decision to keep them looking consistent with all the CG vehicles or something.

• Thumbs Up 5