Awoo.

Team Sonic Racing Overdrive (Part 2 Out Now)

Sonictrainer

19 minutes ago, Rowl said:

I now that trope. And I also do know some characters like Squidward from Spongebob or the Brain from Pinky and the Brain that fall int that category. But those are characters that were invented in a comical story. I'm not so sure if you can pull off the same thing with the more serious Sonic characters since those were born in a more series era of Sonic and people love them for that.

Also, characters like Amy, Big and Knuckles do have got much more personality compare to Shadow and Blaze, who are more or less just blank slates.   

Can we please stop with this idea of "is gonna ruin the characters for those people"? No it won't. They are not blank slate because they are more serious, that's selling them really short, I know the comics gave me good laughs out of Blaze and Shadow, so if they can do that there, do that here too. And if it ruins for some people, is the minority.

Also "born in a more serious era of Sonic" ah yes, I remember when how serious were the moments which Shadow plays in a colorful giant bingo and enjoys it and Blaze, a super badass princess with fire powers... Is afraid of heights. The 2000's weren't all darkness like you guys "like" to remember.

• Thumbs Up 4
  • Nice Smile 1
  • Fist Bump 1

Well that was good and fun! SEGA has a bunch of people that care for Sonic, not just the classic one, at their disposal right now. The animations had fun antics and on-character moments. I don't see anything offensive about it, unlike... mostly everything Forces does. I know this is an animation group and you can't possibly ask them to make a game, but it's nice to see that SEGA is getting people with hearts on the right place and outsiders, which includes musicians as well (not that Sonic ever needed better ones, but still, some fresh blood is welcome). I wish the people at Sonic Team that are actually making the games would be like that... 

• Thumbs Up 4

1 hour ago, Jango said:

Well that was good and fun! SEGA has a bunch of people that care for Sonic, not just the classic one, at their disposal right now. The animations had fun antics and on-character moments. I don't see anything offensive about it, unlike... mostly everything Forces does. I know this is an animation group and you can't possibly ask them to make a game, but it's nice to see that SEGA is getting people with hearts on the right place and outsiders, which includes musicians as well (not that Sonic ever needed better ones, but still, some fresh blood is welcome). I wish the people at Sonic Team that are actually making the games would be like that... 

I wonder if this is the reason why ST is supposedly going through a restructuring process, since lately it seems that the people who are delivering the goods such as Mania and the animated shorts are developed with western talent like Christian Whitehead and Tyson Hesse whose heart is in the right place and are actual fans and not BS pretenders like previous developers who claimed that as a PR stunt.

Since Sonic's main audience lies in the west, maybe it's time ST opens up to having westerners like Whitehead and Hesse who are more in touch with what really resonates with the audience.

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Fist Bump 1

2 hours ago, Rowl said:

I now that trope. And I also do know some characters like Squidward from Spongebob or the Brain from Pinky and the Brain that fall int that category. But those are characters that were invented in a comical story. I'm not so sure if you can pull off the same thing with the more serious Sonic characters since those were born in a more series era of Sonic and people love them for that.

Also, characters like Amy, Big and Knuckles do have got much more personality compare to Shadow and Blaze, who are more or less just blank slates.   

Actually, you can.

The thing with serious characters is thay they too can be funny either by displaying how they contrast with the rest (for example Amy, Sonic and the Chao panic when they see Big crossing the racing track, while Shadow does not give a rats a hits harder on the accelerator, which is where the joke itself lies) or you just strip them a bit from their dignity. Blaze is a princess, so her being teammed up with someone like Vector is just begging for this to happen. 

I really don't think anyone will be offended (except Dash Speed, lmao) since the first episode showed the characters in a fun and entertaining way that does not undermine anyone to make others look good.

2 hours ago, Skull Leader said:

I wonder if this is the reason why ST is supposedly going through a restructuring process, since lately it seems that the people who are delivering the goods such as Mania and the animated shorts are developed with western talent like Christian Whitehead and Tyson Hesse whose heart is in the right place and are actual fans and not BS pretenders like previous developers who claimed that as a PR stunt.

Since Sonic's main audience lies in the west, maybe it's time ST opens up to having westerners like Whitehead and Hesse who are more in touch with what really resonates with the audience.

As long as they don't try to relegate the same people to parts of sonic they might not be the best at. Like maybe use Ian flynn more when you wanna have some epic stories with some scope, in modern sonic. And maybe don't get hesse to do wild edgy shit, because that doesn't seem to be his prefered sonic bag. Expand their operations so you can get a bunch of different perspectives.

1 hour ago, Skull Leader said:

Actually, you can.

The thing with serious characters is thay they too can be funny either by displaying how they contrast with the rest (for example Amy, Sonic and the Chao panic when they see Big crossing the racing track, while Shadow does not give a rats a hits harder on the accelerator, which is where the joke itself lies) or you just strip them a bit from their dignity. Blaze is a princess, so her being teammed up with someone like Vector is just begging for this to happen. 

I really don't think anyone will be offended (except Dash Speed, lmao) since the first episode showed the characters in a fun and entertaining way that does not undermine anyone to make others look good.

Or also funny 3rd option, they can just be funny assholes. Thought that's a bit difficult with no dialog. But in cases in future where there are dialog, shadow a character who has on occasion been one to tell people about themselves is kinda built for this. More serious characters can work fine in funnier situations, comics do it all the time, I have always found the suggestion that they just can't a bit uncreative. Yes sometimes people fail, doesn't mean the idea , itself is bad , especially when its being executed well every day.

Also did anyone get offended by this cartoon, its a fun simple thing. I didn't find it the most funny, I think the characters sort of being restricted to cars, restricts the visual humor. But its fine for what it is. Also did shadow actually floor it, it just seemed like he was squinting and bracing for impact, but maybe I missed something

6 hours ago, Rowl said:

Uh, Shadow much more so than Blaze.

4 hours ago, Skull Leader said:

and not BS pretenders like previous developers who claimed that as a PR stunt.

Woah, where's this comin from?

2 hours ago, Shadowlax said:

Also did shadow actually floor it, it just seemed like he was squinting and bracing for impact, but maybe I missed something

The general joke is that he was undettered, so you can probably take it anyway you want.

The sound at 2:04 sounds a LOT like the Phantom Ruby sound effect. Is this a sign? 

5 minutes ago, Miragnarok said:

The sound at 2:04 sounds a LOT like the Phantom Ruby sound effect. Is this a sign? 

It sounds nothing like it. It's just the laughing Bomb Wisp. 

• Thumbs Up 1

8 minutes ago, Tracker_TD said:

It sounds nothing like it. It's just the laughing Bomb Wisp. 

It sure does to me. A few high pitched laughs in a sequence similar to the Phantom Ruby then a low pitched stuttering scratchy sound, with the same amount of notes as the Phantom Ruby. I also didn't notice the Bomb's mouth moving, either. The other wisps don't make little sounds like that when they're used.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, Miragnarok said:

It sure does to me. A few high pitched laughs in a sequence similar to the Phantom Ruby then a low pitched stuttering scratchy sound, with the same amount of notes as the Phantom Ruby. I also didn't notice the Bomb's mouth moving, either.

The "scratchy sound" is just the bomb's impact. It's a coincidence at most. The Wisp's mouth not moving was likely just to save on animation time since they didn't think anyone would notice - it's moving fast and on screen for like, a second. 

2 minutes ago, Tracker_TD said:

The "scratchy sound" is just the bomb's impact. It's a coincidence at most. The Wisp's mouth not moving was likely just to save on animation time since they didn't think anyone would notice - it's moving fast and on screen for like, a second. 

You can hear the bomb’s scratch sound shortly before it hits the floor, for a fraction of a second. Doesn’t seem like the sound and action are that connected.

1 hour ago, Miragnarok said:

You can hear the bomb’s scratch sound shortly before it hits the floor, for a fraction of a second.

TIMING.

Well this was definitely more Team Rose focused, which is nice. I sure hope the next one is Team Dark focused, because honestly Rouge and Omega are a goldmine of comedy, if people watched Sonic X and read Archie, they know that, Neko and the others better realise this.

Watching Iizuka tear up a bit after the animated short was shown made my heart grow three sizes:

1 minute ago, Skull Leader said:

Watching Iizuka tear up a bit after the animated short was shown made my heart grow three sizes:

That damn SEGA logo scared the shit outta me.

Aw.

• Chuckle 1

just like Sonic Mania Adventures, I really enjoyed it. Surpisingly, I don't care for Big the cat but yet he's hilarious in this short & Knuckles. Plus also the fact that Eggman stuck a moustache on an Eggpawn was golden.

Really looking forward to Silver & Blaze's (Hopefully) 1st ever appearance in a Sonic animation with Part 2 next month.

But after this, I wouldn't mind seeing more Modern Sonic shorts like this later on. And if possible, another Night of the Werehog style short.

Team Vector won't be in this. Second part is guaranteed to be focused on team Dark with team Rose taking the proverbial back seat. 

13 hours ago, VEDJ-F said:

Team Vector won't be in this. Second part is guaranteed to be focused on team Dark with team Rose taking the proverbial back seat. 

We did get Mania Adventures 6, though... 

8 hours ago, VEDJ-F said:

Has that been confirmed or is that speculation?

7 hours ago, Miragnarok said:

We did get Mania Adventures 7, though... 

We didn't? We got Mania Adventures 6 if that is what you meant.

It's speculation. Could go either way really. But if Team Vector does show up, then I agree with @VEDJ-F in saying that it'll still focus on Team Sonic vs Team Dark, and the rest will be mostly relegated to the background.

I'm actually hoping that Dodonpa makes an appearance. He's supposed to be the driving force behind the plot of the game, so I would have expected him to at least show his face in the animations in some form. Flag bearing or something, nothing much, cause these shorts are hardly story focused.

Part 1 already sneaked in quite a bit of Sonic vs Shadow despite the Team Rose focus, so it wouldn't surprise me if Part 2 will instead headline Dark vs Eggman/Vector or just all teams facing off. If anything I'm unsure about Eggman's team appearing, since he was on his own again just like in the comic and his team forming is allegedly part of the Adventure mode.

It's likely because they are not gonna animate the Whole cast as there are already 10 characters or more in the short, and they weren't all used properly in the first part. So yeah, I'm really hoping Rouge and Omega have some funny moments in the next episode, I know there is no dialogue but it would be hilarious to see Rouge trying to flirt with Knuckles and Omega destroying all the Egg Pawns on the track, for example, or hitting all the racers.

Maybe… and I say maybe, more characters could show up in a future installment, c'mon these are so successful, I think there will be a bonus one like they did for Mania Adventures, I really hope we get an Halloween special this year, since Boo's House is a thing in the game… Team Vector could also appear in that one, or the possible DLC characters but that'd be too much, Team Vector deserves it the most. And if there are DLC characters, I only expect them either at launch or a month after the release, since SEGA doesn't support their games too long after the release (Mania got a physical release so that justified the DLC).

If part II releases next month around this time, then the table is set for a bonus part III right before the launch of the game itself. The timing makes too much sense. If these shorts get the same kind off attn and love across the board as the Mania shorts did (and all indications are that is what is happening) I would be shocked if things didn't re-align for a bonus episode to pop up to cap off the marketing in one final push before launch.

And if we are musing bout what the next episode will focus on, I don't think that I need to remind anyone that this first episode featured Big. BIG... there is no point predicting anything. They could go anywhere with this.

It featured Big, he's apart of Team Rose...and the game.

Why wouldn't it feature him?

The more confusing thing is it featuring Team Dark despite starting as Team Sonic vs. Team Rose.