Awoo.

Team Sonic Racing Overdrive (Part 2 Out Now)

Sonictrainer

Great episode. Too bad there's only two, because I'm loving watching the characters interact with each other. Shadow just completely ignoring Rouge and Omega was great as was him stealing the Chao's popcorn and causing it to cry.

Hopefully, we get some more shorts for the next game, but with the whole cast.

• Thumbs Up 6

Knuckles taunting Rouge after driving off was amazing and feels like something needed since SA2. Eggman's surprised face was amazing, and given it's only Team Dark and Sonic this time around, I wonder if that means Amy got held up back at the hammer store last episode.

Shadow teleporting out of his car has to be a "I'm out" gif at some point too.

• Thumbs Up 1

I love the way Tyson designed the cast for these shorts. It's a shame it's only two episodes so we don't get to see other characters like Vector, Blaze, or Silver. It would be great if Sega would consider working with Hesse and Neko Productions on a proper cartoon, because I think they could have something really special set in the regular Sonic universe that oozes this kind of charm.

• Thumbs Up 8

1 hour ago, dbzfan7 said:

And Shadow's speed walk to the stands. Wonderful. Woulda liked to see him actually get hit instead of just completely avoid it, but the walk sold it. And then he stole popcorn from a literal baby.

Ch'yeah!

1 hour ago, Marcello said:

Shadow just completely ignoring Rouge and Omega was great as was him stealing the Chao's popcorn and causing it to cry.

Wait, he did? Oh, that asshole!

While I'm a bit disappointed on them excluding both Eggman's and Vector's teams, they're both still big question marks in regards to their dynamic which is the game's job to unveil, and it's not like they could have gotten much focus with only two parts. Overall I liked the first episode better, but the parts with Rouge and Eggman were hilarious.

Also, did anyone recognize Omega's theme from any game? Rouge's is Security Hall, but his wasn't This Machine as expected.

CJrI3dK.jpg

And that was fucking great. Good enough for me to actually react out loud. If I had to pick, my favourite moments were probably when Omega turned to Rouge in shame and Shadow's gradual resignation.

Man, would I love a 2D game with a style and set of cutscenes like this (EDIT: with a higher budget of course).

• Thumbs Up 2

Sorry to be the negative nancy, but I thought this was very weak. I hated the really over the top expressions. It looked a bit amateurish even, especially on Rouge.

As loathe as I am to admit it, I have to agree. Even the comedic timing was pretty off in places; as if it was relying on the overdone reactions to sell a missed punchline. Whole thing came off as some sort of Family Guy equivalent to the sketches they had done to this point.

• Thumbs Up 2

2 minutes ago, Tornado said:

As loathe as I am to admit it, I have to agree. Even the comedic timing was pretty off in places; as if it was relying on the overdone reactions to sell a missed punchline. Whole thing came off as some sort of Family Guy equivalent to the sketches they had done to this point.

28 minutes ago, Plasme said:

Sorry to be the negative nancy, but I thought this was very weak. I hated the really over the top expressions. It looked a bit amateurish even, especially on Rouge.

You two are not unique, that isn't an insult btw. What I mean is , I'm seeing some mix responses on this short. Even though I enjoyed it I don't quite think it is as funny as some of the others. Some folks think it was a bit weak. I thought it was fine, but its interesting to get your perspective

I didn't think there was much intelligence to the humour either, the jokes were all essentially someone getting hit and making a 'CRAAAZY' face.

1 hour ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

Shadow teleporting out of his car has to be a "I'm out" gif at some point too.

If someone can get it in gif form and link it to me, I'd be gracious

I actually hated what they did to Shadow's character. He was always very loyal to Omega and especially Rouge after becoming friends with them; him just speeding off betrays his character.

In fact he acts like he does in Boom, except in Boom it's funny because he's a complete loner and a parody on how he's popularly perceived online. Here he's supposed to be the mainstream Shadow and it falls flat on its face.

• Thumbs Up 1

Yeah idk, these shorts are all in good fun and the fun to be had with them is great, even the obligatory meme faces, but I got a nagging feeling in the back of my head that this sorta showcases, at least for me, that the cast just doesn't work as well in pantomime situations as they did in Mania Adventures. Not in this animation/storytelling style, at least.

When one of the Adventures characters stands still for a while, or makes a dorky, scrunched up face, alright, they come off as adorable, it works. When Overdrive characters do the same, it feels somewhat off, dorky in a less endearing way, and kinda hollow in a way. It makes for a much less endearing short where the entire idea is to be endearing, but it also feels like it raises fundamental differences between what the two styles can offer in terms of entertainment.

It could probably just be the animation and pacing in general, though. The main thing that carries over well is Knuckles' exaggerated expressions, that stuff was all great. They all feel like the only "emotion" that really translate well to these shorts without feeling tepid, in all honestly. Maybe the cast and animation just needs to be a touch more exaggerated or energetic for them to work?

• Thumbs Up 1

I must say Omega felt quite off in this. Other games/media have changed his character for comic relief before, but every other character here was portrayed well and still fun to watch. Him randomly crashing into a wall (don't text while driving) and then mimicking Rouge doesn't make much sense for Omega. Then again, it could be the direction they're taking him in TSR.

• Thumbs Up 1

Once I saw Knuckles mimicking rouge as he drove off I knew this episode was gonna be one of my favorites of the Sonic shorts so far lol. The humor hit on every part and that to me was definitely what they needed to make sure delivered. All the personality and charm was amazing here, from the background chao to the eggpawns to the big Egg himself lol. I loved this!

• Thumbs Up 3

1 hour ago, Zaysho said:

I love the way Tyson designed the cast for these shorts. It's a shame it's only two episodes so we don't get to see other characters like Vector, Blaze, or Silver. It would be great if Sega would consider working with Hesse and Neko Productions on a proper cartoon, because I think they could have something really special set in the regular Sonic universe that oozes this kind of charm.

I completely agree, this animation would be great for an entire season's worth of episodes. Yeah, still disappointed Blaze & Silver didn't show up though, but I think the humor makes up for it. But if it's like Mania Adventures, then they may have a bonus hidden episode planned.

And anyone that's interested I posted screenshots that look hilarious at certain frames.

Now the last one I photoshopped to look even more hilarious than the original. Reason why is I couldn't get the exact frame/image.

This is one of those times where we needed the announcer to show up.

Rouge's car has crashed and she needs assistance. Oh, her partner is coming up from behind.

OOOH! And he speeds off, without a second glance!

If only he believed hard enough in the super power of team work. 

I actually had to watch it twice to catch that Shadow snatched the popcorn from the chao and made it cry. 

There's almost too much to talk about here. 

Like the part where Sonic is waving at Knuckles and the echidna just tosses the speed wisps at Tails (because why would he give them to Sonic)  and Tails just turned to Sonic with a face that read "Welp... off I go, I guess."

image.png.6a608cf7c2e294bb092b67dfd61b678e.png

• Thumbs Up 1

15 minutes ago, tailsBOOM! said:

If someone can get it in gif form and link it to me, I'd be gracious

giphy.gif

4 minutes ago, Plasme said:

I actually hated what they did to Shadow's character. He was always very loyal to Omega and especially Rouge after becoming friends with them; him just speeding off betrays his character.

In fact he acts like he does in Boom, except it's Boom its funny because he's a complete loner and a parody on how he's popularly perceived online. Here he's supposed to be the mainstream Shadow and it falls flat on its face.

Oh gee, who could've predicted this sort of reaction.

• Thumbs Up 1

18 minutes ago, Plasme said:

In fact he acts like he does in Boom, except in Boom it's funny because he's a complete loner and a parody on how he's popularly perceived online. Here he's supposed to be the mainstream Shadow and it falls flat on its face.

Yo dude its a fun spin off short, chill dog. The whole point that you need to work with your friends, and shadow trying to do shit himself is very in character. Its fine, CHILLL

And it's also just a competition. It's not trying to imply that Shadow would leave Rouge and Omega out to dry in a more dire situation.

• Thumbs Up 8