Awoo.

Team Sonic Racing Overdrive (Part 2 Out Now)

Sonictrainer

3 minutes ago, Dr. Detective Mike said:

The real shock is that Rouge still uses flip-phones in 2019. 

Riders came out in 2004. 

Sonic isn't exactly in with the current decade.

1 hour ago, DabigRG said:

Riders came out in 2004. 

Sonic isn't exactly in with the current decade.

Well, at least in Japan, flip-phones are still a lot more common. So there's that.

It can apparently send hologram projections in front of cars so it must be super advanced.

Just now, Dr. Detective Mike said:

Wel, at least in Japan, flip-phones are still a lot more common. So there's that.

And PSPs are a popular console. 

Good point.

• Thumbs Up 1

25 minutes ago, Pawn said:

And it's also just a competition. It's not trying to imply that Shadow would leave Rouge and Omega out to dry in a more dire situation.

No.

The joke comes from them acting in character while doing something relatively daft like racing. If Sonic left Tails to be blown off the track by Omega it would feel out of character. If Knuckles ran away from Rouge's aggression it would feel out of character.

Likewise, Shadow leaving Rouge and Omega behind is out of character and a cheap way to score "lol Shadow's so edgy" points.

• Thumbs Up 1

6 minutes ago, Plasme said:

Likewise, Shadow leaving Rouge and Omega behind is an easy way to score "lol Shadow's so arrogant" points.

Fitting.

So where’s the “this is family guy level humor” comparison coming from? Cause I certainly don’t see it. The style of humor is pretty much Mania adventures, so wouldn’t that also be family guy humor as well?

• Promotion 1

6 minutes ago, KHCast said:

So where’s the “this is family guy level humor” comparison coming from? Cause I certainly don’t see it. The style of humor is pretty much Mania adventures, so wouldn’t that also be family guy humor as well?

Yes.

I don't have anything to add to that, I think it makes my feelings on SMA pretty clear. 

1 hour ago, Tornado said:

As loathe as I am to admit it, I have to agree. Even the comedic timing was pretty off in places; as if it was relying on the overdone reactions to sell a missed punchline. 

The only instance that felt off to me was the zoom on Eggman's reaction to Shadow

• Thumbs Up 3

Yeah I didn’t find the humor off in the slightest. Everything seemed to hit pretty fine and came off pretty effective and paid off nicely. And if it was “off” it wasn’t that noticeable. Then again, as I said in the status, this seems like one of those clear instances of subjectiveness to the humor, so I don’t think either side will be convinced either way.

• Thumbs Up 3

1 hour ago, LukA8 said:

I must say Omega felt quite off in this. Other games/media have changed his character for comic relief before, but every other character here was portrayed well and still fun to watch. Him randomly crashing into a wall (don't text while driving) and then mimicking Rouge doesn't make much sense for Omega. Then again, it could be the direction they're taking him in TSR.

Omega has always had an element of humor about him, it's just how overtly it's portrayed varies. So I think part of the issue here is that he doesn't have dialogue, which the bulk of his material.

Though it's possible that the joke here is his occasional disregard for collateral damage.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Promotion 1

Just watched part 2. It is a really good episode obviously... except seriously no Blaze/Vector/Silver?! And Team Amy wasn't on this episode either... It was just Team Sonic and Team Dark.... plus a guest appearance from Eggman who wasn't even with his team for some reason, which means we also didn't get Metal Sonic... Kinda a big let down for me honestly when it comes to character appearances. I am slightly now wondering if these cartoons were being worked on before the animators even knew what the full roster of the game was gonna end up being.

I badly wanted to see Blaze and Metal-Sonic. :'/

• Thumbs Up 2

Part 2 was great. Laughed like a big dope all the way through! I wish there was more of these. Actually I'm sure there will be! Clearly they're a hit! (Well, millions of hits.)

• Thumbs Up 3

Yeah I dunno. I like Tyson's style here but these just fell a little flat for me compared to Mania Adventures.

Even that Eggman face feels almost forced. Like the sort of thing you'd see in some parody animation or something.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, KHCast said:

Wait...are sight gags considered Family Guy level humor now?

• Chuckle 2
  • Fist Bump 2

I think the extreme expressions and character reactions are fine myself. It gives me bit of a modern day Looney Tunes vibe which I love. BTW to me that Eggman surprised face was clearly made just to be turned into memes, it looks a lot like the surprised Pikachu meme. I also feel Shadow is on character despite what some believe on the matter. Especially when it is merely a competition he is not going to do anything that he thinks will risk his position in winning. Shadow by design is meant to be a dark nature jerk who will do the right thing and be compassionate only when it is truly important. Also in the past I always felt certain Shadow fans far exaggerated his good nature character growth within their minds.

• Thumbs Up 5

I generally don't mind exaggerated expressions in animation but here it just sort of lingers on a mostly still image of Eggman for a bit too long, which makes it feel forced. Like they only did because they knew it'd become a meme on Twitter and Tumblr. It's not like the worst thing ever but it just doesn't feel as well made as Mania Adventures.

I don't really think Shadow's too out of character here, but then again I don't care about Shadow anyway. 

• Thumbs Up 2

Honestly I feel the character expressions breathe life into them. It's one of the many many problems I had with Boom and it's static boredom. I love the expressions and how they can all characterize/tell a brief story/moment all on their own. And honestly I'll take fun over exaggerated expressions over shitty jokes or topical humor any day of the week. Sure they can be overly silly I guess, but this is a silly short video about racing so I think it fits fine with the tone.

On the topic of Shadow I was really only bothered when it funny enough came to stealing popcorn from a literal baby. I let this go because it's just a short so it's not that big a deal, but it does feel kinda like edgey mockery. That or I just ain't as bothered as I would be, because it comes after the hilarious walk of shame.

3 hours ago, DabigRG said:

The only instance that felt off to me was the zoom on Eggman's reaction to Shadow

Yeah. That was the only part I didn't get. It lingered on Eggman's face for so long. It felt like it was intentionally trying to make a meme there.

I mean, it worked, but I found Eggman dancing with the trophy, the car landing on him, and the Egg Pawn's overdramatic grieving worthy of it far more than that. 

• Thumbs Up 7

4 hours ago, Zaysho said:

I love the way Tyson designed the cast for these shorts. It's a shame it's only two episodes so we don't get to see other characters like Vector, Blaze, or Silver. It would be great if Sega would consider working with Hesse and Neko Productions on a proper cartoon, because I think they could have something really special set in the regular Sonic universe that oozes this kind of charm.

Yeah, this is the only "negative" thing I can think off about the episode... Still, what I saw was very enjoyable and fun and was nice to see Rouge getting some screen time (loved how Tyson draws he different expressions just the way I imagine Rouge acting as a bad girl), Machine Heaaaaaaaaa... I mean, Omega mimicking mama Rouge, Shadow saving his dignity before getting crushed, the way Knuckles gives in to anger and so much more. 

Now if you excuse me, I have to go press F for the poor doc. :(

• Thumbs Up 1

53 minutes ago, SBR2 said:

Wait...are sight gags considered Family Guy level humor now?

I haven't watched Family Guy in quite some time, but I'm gonna say it was named simply for becoming a low brow comedy. 

20 minutes ago, dbzfan7 said:

On the topic of Shadow I was really only bothered when it funny enough came to stealing popcorn from a literal baby. I

Considering we have Chao’s driving cars, are we even sure all Chao are babies? Seems like they can be pretty mature at points tbh. Lol

Eh, the zoom on eggman I enjoyed. It reminds me of shows like Adventure Time or Flapjack that’ll occasionally do similar overdramatic facial expressions like that. It’s a certain style of humor that while not deep and pretty shallow works all the same for me. 

• Thumbs Up 2

3 minutes ago, KHCast said:

Considering we have Chao’s driving cars, are we even sure all Chao are babies? Seems like they can be pretty mature at points tbh. Lol

Eh, the zoom on eggman I enjoyed. It reminds me of shows like Adventure Time or Flapjack that’ll occasionally do similar overdramatic facial expressions like that. It’s a certain style of humor that while not deep and pretty shallow works all the same for me. 

I think the difference is that those are often used to dramatic or horrific effect, whereas Eggman here could've just easily have been a hilarious thing in the background. Especially since it was already in frame for a good 5 seconds or so. 

2 hours ago, Plasme said:

No.

The joke comes from them acting in character while doing something relatively daft like racing. If Sonic left Tails to be blown off the track by Omega it would feel out of character. If Knuckles ran away from Rouge's aggression it would feel out of character.

Likewise, Shadow leaving Rouge and Omega behind is out of character and a cheap way to score "lol Shadow's so edgy" points.

Uh, no. Shadow being willing to leave his allies behind if they can't keep up is basically canon.

• Promotion 3