Awoo.

Would you say we’ve entered a new “era” yet?

Big Panda

On 2/14/2020 at 3:53 AM, Volcan Pacaya said:

It was important for the pre-Boost Sonic third-party games to be lumped in with the Adventure games. It made for a great motte-and-bailey argument against them.

Honestly I get why it's called that. People already joke about how many games in that era could have been called "Adventure 3" (as to how valid it is, I have doubts), and I do think it influenced things in various ways during that time. (Plus "Sonic Unleashed" being called "Sonic World Adventure" outside of the US, I honestly prefer that name as I think it represents the game better as Sonic didn't come off as very "unleashed" in that game)

Originally they wanted to have an even further branching story system in SA2, and this was later used in Shadow's game in 2005 instead. Whenever I look at SA2's development I find it funny in a sad way just how upset fans were at the lack of Tails at first (he's been Sonic's sidekick for so long!), and now we've had over a decade of that being the norm.

"One idea the team wanted to introduce in the game, but in the end was unable to implement, was the ability of having branching pathways story-wise in the narrative, each run a different experience. In early magazine previews, an example was used as to what Sonic Team intended. The scenario they presented was of Sonic being on a submarine that would begin to sink, the player either trying to bring the sub to safety or having Sonic escape and try and make it back to shore. Though unknown if this example was part of an early version of the story or if simply used in an interview to not spoil the team's true intentions, the branching paths were dropped from the final product."

Sonic Heroes also originally was intended to have even more characters than it ended up with.
Also I just found out Maekawa story-boarded the Team Dark intro and it explains so much. He sure is modest about his abilities, as these look pretty good in my opinion. The few SA2 ones were too small to see well, but for this part the whole storyboard is on Sonic Retro in good quality. (example)

Original Sonic Heroes Teams: (Note the lack of Shadow)

Sonic, Tails and Knuckles

Amy, Cream and Rouge

Chaos, E-102 Gamma and Big (all being introduced in Adventure 1)

Espio, Charmy and Vector

Fang, Bean and Bark

Metal Sonic, Ray and Mighty

There's probably more examples of the influence I'm missing (another being all the 2D art from Adventure-2006, before being switched for 3D renders), but just to give somewhat of an idea how it had an impact on other titles that might not be as obvious at first.

1 hour ago, DryLagoon said:

Originally they wanted to have an even further branching story system in SA2, and this was later used in Shadow's game in 2005 instead. Whenever I look at SA2's development I find it funny in a sad way just how upset fans were at the lack of Tails at first (he's been Sonic's sidekick for so long!), and now we've had over a decade of that being the norm.

I was under the impression he was gonna be in the game anyway for story purposes, since Sonic obviously can't come up with the Fake Emerald.

Sonic Heroes also originally was intended to have even more characters than it ended up with.

To be fair, I think some of those were them throwing ideas at the wall before deciding they didn't fit, whether thematically or where resources are concerned.

It does explain things like Cream's characterization and the comparative weakness of her relationship with Amy, though.

Also I just found out Maekawa story-boarded the Team Dark intro and it explains so much. He sure is modest about his abilities, as these look pretty good in my opinion. The few SA2 ones were too small to see well, but for this part the whole storyboard is on Sonic Retro in good quality. (example)

Oh?

1 hour ago, DabigRG said:

I was under the impression he was gonna be in the game anyway for story purposes, since Sonic obviously can't come up with the Fake Emerald.

To be fair, I think some of those were them throwing ideas at the wall before deciding they didn't fit, whether thematically or where resources are concerned.

It does explain things like Cream's characterization and the comparative weakness of her relationship with Amy, though.

Oh?

What I meant is him not being playable at first, which explains why they reused Eggman's mech gameplay on him. Since they made the story first for SA2, it was probably possible for them to come up with more stages based on what happened in the story.

I know it likely wasn't going to happen, it's just interesting they considered using these characters at all, considering how long it's been since many have been seen or playable.

Comparing it with the final version, the stiffness and motion blur is very noticeable in the animation. They also don't like having mouths or moving eye lids. (link)