Meta77

Shantae 5 (Coming 2019)

-late- I actually quite like the visuals of this.  I kind of felt the 2.5D backgrounds of HGH (and by extension of DuckTales Remastered), made it look like they were inserting assets from unrelated games.  They weren't bad by any means, but I feel like the more two-dimensional art looks more natural; although it doesn't stand out quite as much admittedly.

Wayforward has confirmed the game - in some form - will be available on iOS 13 and up devices for the launch of Apple Arcade, but details about anything beyond that have only been confirmed to be "coming soon".

I kind of hope that this is just a glorified demo that will let them get in on the ground floor of Apple Arcade with the full game releasing everywhere else at once when it's ready, it'd be kind of a bummer for the game to be episodic if it's supposed to be a return to the non-linear world style of Shantae 1-3.  I hope it isn't a sizable chunk of the game that's hard to avoid spoilers for if not.

13 hours ago, JezMM said:
I kind of hope that this is just a glorified demo that will let them get in on the ground floor of Apple Arcade with the full game releasing everywhere else at once when it's ready, it'd be kind of a bummer for the game to be episodic if it's supposed to be a return to the non-linear world style of Shantae 1-3.

Good news: 

Ah thank goodness they're finally being clear.  Unfortunately I only have an iPad in terms of apple products and Apple Arcade doesn't arrive on those until the 30th, so still a waiting game for me.  I hope the full release isn't too far off.

Jake Kaufman isn't returning for this game, unfortunately. 

I wonder why? He's been with the series from the very beginning, and his compositions for it have always been great, so this is a pretty disappointing loss. 

At least he's still doing the music for Shovel Knight Dig. 

15 minutes ago, Solly said:

Jake Kaufman isn't returning for this game, unfortunately. 

I wonder why? He's been with the series from the very beginning, and his compositions for it have always been great, so this is a pretty disappointing loss. 

At least he's still doing the music for Shovel Knight Dig. 

I think you answered your own question, it's most likely that he just didn't have time to work on both games simultaneously.

I can’t imagine the music thing is a time constraint issue, unless Jake has a lot of other projects besides SK. Jake has worked on multiple projects at once in the past.

Maybe it’s a budget issue. Either way, it is pretty disappointing. The new music doesn’t sound all that great.

Had a quick play of Shantae & The Seven Sirens tonight since I nabbed the trial of Apple Arcade. Few things based off my thoughts, there may be light spoilers so be careful reading on:

• The format is very Pirate's Curse so far. Much like if you put Pirate's Curse and 1/2 Genie Hero in a blender, with PC's gameplay style with 1/2's artstyle. From what I can see as well, it seems like you'll be travelling to different areas. There's three main areas to the island, which is a underwater city, a small beach area, and the hub city itself, similar to the other games' primary hub, plus Shantae's Lighthouse, and the swamp.
  • The other half-genies are really interesting. They also expanded out some of the lore stuff from other games. There's a few zombies walking around the island on vacation, as well as a full-on Zombie Half-Genie.
  • Gameplay is pretty much 1/2 Genie Hero right now, and Shantae has no transformations when you start. But that said, the layout of areas is very much like Risky's Revenge and Pirate's Curse, as opposed to 1/2 Genie Hero.
  • They've seemed to have listened when it comes to the oversaturation of collectables in 1/2 Genie Hero. Squidsmith is back for hearts, heart squids and monster cards seem to be the big collectables this time, the former being hidden in secret areas again, and the latter randomly drop from enemies.
  • Biggest and coolest addition to me - they've definitely gone full anime this time around with the art-style. While the characters in-game use the HGH style, the portraits very notably use a much more anime style. The reason for this is...
  • The opening isn't the only animated thing, there's full animated anime cutscenes.
  • Music is alright so far, although nowhere near as catchy as HGH got with it's soundtrack.
  • A bad change - Auto-Saving seems to be gone.
  • Also thankfully, they finally killed the dumbass running gag of Shantae getting fired and having to prove she can handle being a guardian genie.