Awoo.

Sonic Racing (Mobile) Apple Arcade exclusive

Badnik Mechanic

Let's be honest here... the other thread is going to be just for the console/pc release. Also not sure if we have a thread already so I dunno lock or merge I guess.

Sonic Racing is an upcoming mobile game from Hardlight studios.

The game appears to be a mobile version of Team Sonic Racing.

Currently the game is advertised to be an Apple Arcade Exclusive.

Due for release later this year. Not price strategy announced yet.

Will add more pics when I'm back on desktop.

2 hours ago, mayday2592 said:

Since its title is Sonic Raving, I'm guessing the team gameplay is absent.

I'm surprised the simultaneous game-play of Speed Battle works half as well as it does. A co-op kart racer would probably instantly nuke half the cell phones on the market.

Oh hey, it almost looks like an actual handheld kart racer. Maybe it isn't another Sonic Dash clone but like an actual fun kart racer like Mario Kart and Sonic all stars racing on the DS/ 3ds were.

2019-sonic-racing-apple-arcade1.jpg

And then I noticed the 4 lanes style track design.
Never mind, jup, it's another generic Sonic Dash clone. Yawn.

46 minutes ago, Roger_van_der_weide said:

Oh hey, it almost looks like an actual handheld kart racer. Maybe it isn't another Sonic Dash clone but like an actual fun kart racer like Mario Kart and Sonic all stars racing on the DS/ 3ds were.

2019-sonic-racing-apple-arcade1.jpg

And then I noticed the 4 lanes style track design.
Never mind, jup, it's another generic Sonic Dash clone. Yawn.

Are you sure? Because that'd be super disappointing honestly. If that's the case, I'm glad it's an exclusive.

@Jack the ShadowBeing "glad that it's an exclusive" is still the wrong mentality to have, because there are plenty of fans without access to Apple Arcade who'll be missing out regardless of your own interest in the game. You don't actually mean that you want them to miss out, do you? I hope what you actually mean is that you don't mind that it's not on a platform you'll have access to.

Yeah, this game looks like something I'd check out for five minutes to see what it's like and then never want to play again. Generic mobile tosh. ASRT on mobile was a paid game when it released (it became F2P later, IIRC) and SEGA were keen to promote it as a proper experience rather than just a mindless mobile game where you occasionally swipe it touch the screen. Just check out the trailer for it:

I can only guess that it failed to meet expectations, because it recieved few updates and was gone from the App Store after a fairly short time. Plus SEGA haven't been so keen on making more console-like mobile games like ASRT in several years now. It's a shame; there are enough "lane runners" out there already, including three Sonic ones that are still regularly updated.

It's most likely a lane runner, but we are not sure yet.

While the rings/monitors are aligned with the lanes, the vehichles are all randomly placed.

But yeah, Hardlight + the lane texture/layout suggest that it's another Sonic Dash clone... so it's very possible.

Anyway it's not the lane gameplay that concerns me (Forces Speed Battle would be a pretty fun game on paper, if just it was fair and didn't have that level up/chests crap), it's the possibility of it being a free mobile game that concerns me.

Expect random unlockables, leveling up, random machups, microtransactions, unfairness etc.

Speed Battle is one of the most unfair games I ever played, it manipulates the outcome of the races in the weirdest ways possible, and the game forces you to stay at a certain place in the chart (or out of the chart completely) with lame cheats, if you win too much it starts sabotaging your races blatantly (even by misreading your input and forcing you into obstacles, or spawning traps directly inside your character without any possibility to dodge them and without them affecting the other racers).

On a side note, it's not the first time it happend, the Apple exclusive is most likely just a temporary thing, just wait and see.

• Too Many Rings 1

I really doubt that it's another Dash clone, mostly because of a platform it's being released on.

Remember, Apple Arcade is a paid subscription service (meaning the game isn't free or even f2p), and the game is exclusive to that service, the same service that's gonna have Shantae 5 and a Platinum Games, um, game. Why would Hardlight release another Dash clone and lock it behind a paid subscription service that only Apple devices can utilize? They already have 2 Dash games that are doing pretty well, are beong updated (one more regularly than the other, but still) and both cover different approaches - one is an endless single-player runner, and the other one is online multiplayer, more competitive runner. And both are free to play. It just wouldn't make sense to make another one.

Also yeah, Sonic is drifting there, while other cars aren't, as well as their positioning doesn't look like they're on lanes, so I'm kinda doubtful that's another lane runner. Hokey reasoning, but I'll run with what I can.

Anyway, I'm actually kinda disappointed that it's an exclusive to the service that only Apple devices can utilize, while Android gets left in the dust. And on the screencaps the game doesn't even look as good as many of the other higher-budget mobile games that are free-to-play as well. It doesn't look bad, but it also doesn't really look like it's a 2019 mobile game. Oh well, I hope at least the gameplay is good enough, even though I won't be able to play it period (or at least till the exclusivity deal runs out, if it ever does).