Awoo.

Mario and Sonic at the 2020 Tokyo Olympic Games Announced

tailsBOOM!

After several years of no details besides the fact that SEGA in some way had the 2020 Olympics video game license, this was confirmed at SEGA FES:

Who are your hopes for the roster, and what events do you want to see portrayed?  Personally, I want to see classic characters like Mighty and Ray, plus Captain Toad and Pauline; as well as seeing the new Olympic sports like Baseball/Soft ball, Skateboarding, Surfing and maybe rock climbing be portrayed!

• Thumbs Up 6

This is the most fitting I feel and justified of the franchise, and seeing how this is on their home turf, and the general importance of Tokyo and these two companies and video games, I hope they really go all out on this title. Especially considering they skipped the last Olympics iirc. My hope is a story mode again and more dream events. 

• Thumbs Up 5

I said this more casually in a status update, but they really need to consider expanding the roster in this one. The last time the series added to the full-blown roster was in Vancouver Olympics. It was also the only time, and this will be the fourth Mario and Sonic game since then. 

• Thumbs Up 3

Honestly, of all the things I'd like to see, considering I don't play these games, are amiibo.

I'd like to see a nice one of Sonic after how his Smash 4 figure looked.

• Thumbs Up 1

Mario and Sonic at the 2020 Olympic Games for Switch out this year. Arcade the following year along with Sonic at the Olympic Games for iOS and Android next year too.

• Thumbs Up 1

Forget new characters. What we need are Dream Events. Rio took them out and it became bland quick because of it. This game needs them back, events in Mario and Sonic's universe just adds to the fun factor. Also, add in remixes again. Rio's selection was absolutely pitiful, especially on Sonic's side. They used 2 versions of Reach for the Stars for pete's sake. Vancouver had Sonic Advance remixes, which was amazing to hear again. Please Sega, let Jun out to play again.

• Thumbs Up 1

10 minutes ago, TCB said:

Mario and Sonic at the 2020 Olympic Games for Switch out this year. Arcade the following year along with Sonic at the Olympic Games for iOS and Android next year too.

The hell!? Are those costumes that they're wearing?? 

D23vTArUYAAno9s.jpg

D23vC7GUkAAAlNF.jpgD23vD7mUcAAtxVo.jpg

Looks like each event has their own outfit now. I notice Sonic has his Riders shoes on.

• Thumbs Up 8

I thought they weren't gonna do this. This makes soooo much sense and it's really perfect for the Switch!

Now that the series is no longer limited to the crappy wiimote, it has the potential to be actually good!

• Thumbs Up 1

Always good to have these games because they usually come up with great remixes for the dream events.

• Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, Jango said:

Always good to have these games because they usually come up with great remixes for the dream events.

Y'know, if they even HAVE Dream Events this time around.

I also just realized something.

We're probably going to see characters like Wario, Waluigi, and Dr. Eggman in bathing suits.

And it will be the sexiest thing known to mankind.

• Thumbs Up 4
  • Promotion 2
  • Too Many Rings 1

I've never really been into these games, but still like having them around! Dream events and having all of the characters available in each event are the two things I'd most like to see. Having new characters (Infinite, Pauline, etc.) would be cool too, but not more than the other two.

Just noticed that Bowser isn't getting into the spirit, he's only got spike bands on as usual. 

Does that mean he's technically classed as in the buff now the other animals are dressing up?

Honestly I have been waiting for a decade for characters outside of the girls to have outfits. Having everyone swim in just regular things (outside of Sonic,) while the female characters got new swimming outfits was so jarring. But this? Everyone gets a new full closet of athletic gear.

Another thing? Maybe we can get custom outfits finally. They can also improve on the weaknesses of the previous games by offering more and newer Dream Events, co-op online play and more.

(oh yeah and I am totally not here for Team Tricksters. Nope. Not at all. )

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Chuckle 1

It's about time, these games should've taken the Mario Strikers route a long time ago.

Actually wearing outfits related to the sports/event, mind billowing.

Peach finally has new athletic wear.

Since GCN.

image.png.0bdbb6db6a0437cdf758ded0518c250c.png

Tails' suit appears orange.  Also, by blowing up the photo, I noticed his shoes seems to have laces

you know, i wish they would just make a mario & sonic platformer already, but the M&S olympics games usually have some pretty good fanservice and remixes. i've played the winter olympics game on the wii, and it was a pretty fun party game. i'm not really hyped per se, but i might check this out in the near future if it gets a price drop.

sidenote: graphics look pretty nice. is this using hedgehog engine 2?

• Thumbs Up 2

I honestly thought that this little franchise was as dead as a doorknob given SEGA's recent practices. Interesting to see it get revived. 

I don't like the Olympic games very much, but i'm praying for real cool interactions between the Sonic and Mario characters...

• Thumbs Up 1

So, anyone want to make roster predictions?

If we were to get five new characters from each franchise, here's my guesses:

Sonic: Mighty, Ray, Heavy King, Infinite, Dodon Pa

Mario: Pauline, Captain Toad, Dixie Kong, Toadette/Peachette, King Boo

2 minutes ago, tailsBOOM! said:

>that Sonic list 

Outside of maybe Infinite...ha good one.

25 minutes ago, tailsBOOM! said:

you will get infinite

Nice to see some healthy optimism around here. I can't say I'm too "excited" after hearing about the Rio Olympics fiasco and never purchasing it because of that. Apparently that game was priced at a full 60 bucks with less than no content in it. Considering the last one of these I got was that Wii U winter olympics (which was a mistake. I played it for a day then never touched it again) that surprised me. I didn't think any of these could have less content than that but... I was wrong I guess. 

I know they have to have the boring regular events in the game to keep their Olympics license but they need to have Dream Events in this one. They also need to finally expand that roster. It's been the same since the very first Winter Olympics. I can't justify testing this out for a chance to play as Eggman in a cool Sonic Channel art outfit.

3 hours ago, tailsBOOM! said:

image.png.0bdbb6db6a0437cdf758ded0518c250c.png

Tails' suit appears orange.  Also, by blowing up the photo, I noticed his shoes seems to have laces

I know he's probably worn those in something before but for some reason my heart ached when I saw those laced shoes. It felt like I saw them dawn the feet of an abomination... a monster... once... in a live-action nightmare I had...