Awoo.

Mario and Sonic at the 2020 Tokyo Olympic Games Announced

tailsBOOM!

This is looking to be one of the best ones yet. I hope it does well so they can get the winter Olympic licence back, as my bias dictates that winter sports are better than regular ones, though I have to admit to liking the look of those Dream events. And the skateboarding (which I hope has better controls than Go Vacation).

• Thumbs Up 2

Round-up of things I took from the Overview trailer:

- Dream events are back: they include Racing on skateboard in Metropolis from Forces, it's a harmless callback so I'll take it, Dream Karate in the Mushroom Kingdom from Odyssey (you can see the ships), and Dream Shooting in Tokyo. All of them look very fun.

- Retro events obviously have only 8 characters, Mario, Sonic, Luigi, Bowser, Peach, Tails, Knuckles and Eggman. So the basics. Some of the events are exclusive in this version, like Judo and Swimming platform for example, others are 2D versions like 100m and hurdles.

- Story mode: Eggman Nega appears and tricks the heroes? Into time travelling to Tokyo 1964 for the retro Olympics. There is a Tokyo hubworld/map both in 3D and 2D art. Bosses like Zavok will likely appear here.

- Story includes apparently other dream events like something with the Egg Pawns, Dream Climbing, a minigame with Mario and Sonic on the Tornado shooting, and more.

- New events obviously like Skateboarding, Surfing, climbing, and Karate but we knew that for quite some time.

- Cream and Toad are in the story too.

- Other characters will probably appear as bosses and NPCs at this point. No sign of playable guests. This is the sad part 😕

I'm still holding out hope there are a couple added via DLC or free updates. But yeah, this is a big letdown, especially because I wanted to see a lot of my favorites, we were promised a "tremendous cast", even for a short role.

The Japanese website also has more details on the game modes:

- You can choose between a casual and ranked online matchmaking mode and customize your profile with flags, character icons and ranks depending on your wins. You can also play a series of events (probably as custom lobbies)

- The Story Mode has Sonic, Mario and Toad being sent back in time by a device created by Eggman and Bowser (explaining Nega in the cutscene) while Tails and Luigi try to find them

- You can unlock extras such as achievements, flags and trivia similar to earlier titles, and there's a tab on the website translating to "playground" (maybe the minigames)

This is easily shaping up to be the best entry since London 2012, if the Dream events and more interesting sports are actually playable online this time (compared to Sochi's laughable three online events) I can see myself spending quite some time on it. The Dream Shooting in particular is giving me some Splatoon vibes, there's more screenshots here: https://www.olympicvideogames.com/marioandsonic/jp/event_dream.html

(Also, poor Charmy has been been filling the referee role since the start even when Cream wasn't there yet the little guy doesn't even get a new costume)

Dream Shooting.JPG

Guys, when is the next Sonic livestream? We need to ask about possible extra characters in this game. I know I don't want to harass Aaron and co. But we were already screwed with few characters in TSR. I need to play as my favorite minor characters again.

19 hours ago, CC14 of Doom said:

Overview trailer with our first peek at the Story Mode! Plot seems to involve Mario and Sonic getting sucked into the pixelated past. (Seem to be a good variety of different mini-games included that aren't necessarily sports as well.)

I kinda get the feeling those pixel games are there to add more without being resource intensive.

Why is Dr. NEGA there with them? Is this another Card Camera Caper?

17 hours ago, Dr. Detective Mike said:

Eggman Nega is back. Seems he just lives in the Olympics now.

I was about to suggest that it might not he a story mode but another London Party thing but the man said it in plain Engrish. "Story mode". Even had a little cutscene too.

I'm... kind of surprised. Also there's rail grinding through Grand Metropolis and shooting at things with the 2D Tornado. This is going to be a very interesting experience. I feel comfortable saying that much.

:lol: You just see getting packed in with the other stuff whenever they leave like old school circuses.

17 hours ago, StaticMania said:

Sonic Riders is back.

Eggman Nega's first cutscene appearance...how fun.

I missed it.

Actually, he was in Sochi as the lead Final Boss.

What's this about Sonic Riders?

9 hours ago, Tangled Jack said:

- Story mode: Eggman Nega appears and tricks the heroes? Into time travelling to Tokyo 1964 for the retro Olympics. There is a Tokyo hubworld/map both in 3D and 2D art. Bosses like Zavok will likely appear here.

That's what it looks.

- Retro events obviously have only 8 characters, Mario, Sonic, Luigi, Bowser, Peach, Tails, Knuckles and Eggman. So the basics. Some of the events are exclusive in this version, like Judo and Swimming platform for example, others are 2D versions like 100m and hurdles.

That feeling when your counterpart is now a legendary damsel.

amy_and_knuckles_face_swap_by_spongicx_d90c86f-250t.jpg?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7ImhlaWdodCI6Ijw9NTQ3IiwicGF0aCI6IlwvZlwvYjYzZjgzMmMtYmI4My00MDI3LTgyNzQtOGU2YjAyMDFmYzM0XC9kOTBjODZmLTZjZjcxNjFlLTI1M2MtNDU5OS1iMDA1LWIyNTUyZGIyMmJmZC5qcGciLCJ3aWR0aCI6Ijw9OTgwIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmltYWdlLm9wZXJhdGlvbnMiXX0.UK47M4yUu5kb3a7FQQvt3rUu3xn44Xts4eKLOWIDrzw

9 hours ago, LukA8 said:

- The Story Mode has Sonic, Mario and Toad being sent back in time by a device created by Eggman and Bowser (explaining Nega in the cutscene) while Tails and Luigi try to find them

Wait...does that imply he's helping them fight Eggman?

9 hours ago, LukA8 said:

Dream Shooting.JPG

Reminds me of that cancelled Gremlins game.

9 hours ago, StaticMania said:

How odd, since when was 3D World a thing?

image.png.6ba8fbefc4854658457cdaa5a096d33f.pngimage.png.c1eacb9a4af8d9d8b197d4e1015169e2.png

No forget new renders.

...What?

Ah, they gave Cheese his own! That's nice!

43 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

...What? 

You're right, that area Eggman's in is probably too bland to specifically be that one 3DWorld level.

14 minutes ago, StaticMania said:

You're right, that area Eggman's in is probably too bland to specifically be that one 3DWorld level.

...You mean a dojo?

It'll probably feel like it's all come together well in the end when I see Rouge, Omega, and Espio show up. Charmy's been all over this thing so I'm okay there but my senses seem to not be satisfied until I literally see everyone despite knowing they're gonna be there in their usual roles. I mean, fucking Dr. Nega is here. Of course they're also in the game. 

3 hours ago, Dr. Detective Mike said:

It'll probably feel like it's all come together well in the end when I see Rouge, Omega, and Espio show up. Charmy's been all over this thing so I'm okay there but my senses seem to not be satisfied until I literally see everyone despite knowing they're gonna be there in their usual roles. I mean, fucking Dr. Nega is here. Of course they're also in the game. 

I mean, he's been there since Beijing as an extra guy who's in on Eggman and Bowser's plan and yet also just sorta there cause he wants to be.

1 hour ago, DabigRG said:

I mean, he's been there since Beijing as an extra guy who's in on Eggman and Bowser's plan and yet also just sorta there cause he wants to be.

Beijing didn't have any real single player. Nega debuted in Vancouver along with all of the other rivals.

To be honest, I imagine Nega exists comes down purely to the fact that he is just a pallette swap of Eggman, not to mention gives the Sonic side another villian.

Nega is also a fine parallel to Dry Bowser, from a balance perspective anyway.

Even though Nega should loose his roster spot to someone else like Infinite... or god forbid another member of the Deadly 6 (actually, I think Zeena would be a fun add).

Who says Nega is playable? I don't want him playable.

Rouge, Omega, Jet, Zavok will likely be bosses.

The thing with missing Espio and possibly Sticks, is they don't fit as bosses, so their absence could lead to DLC? That's the hope, Espio was a referee in early games, so it's weird he's not here. Same with Rosalina and Diddy, they don't look like boss material and they are missing, they are waaay to important to not show up. 

I just think this is a major step backwards compared to Rio. At least all the characters were represented in some way. Even with a limited role.

Mii characters are also definitely not included in the game, which means no costumes, so if true, this is definitely the M&S with the least amount of playable characters since the days of Bejiing. Sad true story...

Edit: http://www.tssznews.com/2019/07/10/segas-official-tokyo-2020-olympics-game-receives-demo-free-dlc/

I just found out Sega is doing free updates for the official Olympic game, adding new events, could they do free DLC for M&S too? That would be a way to promote the game until the real Olympics start next year. What do you think?

1 hour ago, Tangled Jack said:

The thing with missing Espio and possibly Sticks, is they don't fit as bosses, so their absence could lead to DLC? That's the hope, Espio was a referee in early games, so it's weird he's not here. Same with Rosalina and Diddy, they don't look like boss material and they are missing, they are waaay to important to not show up. 

I just think this is a major step backwards compared to Rio. At least all the characters were represented in some way. Even with a limited role.

Mii characters are also definitely not included in the game, which means no costumes, so if true, this is definitely the M&S with the least amount of playable characters since the days of Bejiing. Sad true story...

Edit: http://www.tssznews.com/2019/07/10/segas-official-tokyo-2020-olympics-game-receives-demo-free-dlc/

I just found out Sega is doing free updates for the official Olympic game, adding new events, could they do free DLC for M&S too? That would be a way to promote the game until the real Olympics start next year. What do you think?

I’m hoping we get more characters in the game, cuz they stated they kept the same roster but gave them new Olympic gear to add more appeal

It clearly has added more appeal to them but that still doesn’t change the fact we’ve had the same roster since Vancouver! 

14 hours ago, thumbs13 said:

Beijing didn't have any real single player. Nega debuted in Vancouver along with all of the other rivals.

Oh right right, Vancouver is in Canada. My bad. 

13 hours ago, Sega DogTagz said:

Essentially.

13 hours ago, Sega DogTagz said:

Even though Nega should loose his roster spot to someone else like Infinite... or god forbid another member of the Deadly 6 (actually, I think Zeena would be a fun add).

I don't see why they can't have both.

I do want to see another Zeti/villain, though. At the very least, Master Zik would fit in thematically. 

8 hours ago, Tangled Jack said:

Have we seen many referees to assume either way? Or bosses? 

Hell, Nega was already such a wtf in context, so anything can happen. 

Also, Diddy was in one of these?  

34 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

Oh right right, Vancouver is in Canada. My bad. 

Essentially.

I don't see why they can't have both.

I do want to see another Zeti/villain, though. At the very least, Master Zik would fit in thematically. 

Have we seen many referees to assume either way? Or bosses? 

Hell, Nega was already such a wtf in context, so anything can happen. 

Also, Diddy was in one of these?  

Yeah Diddy Kong was in Rio 2016 

4 minutes ago, MarioKartGamerDude said:

Yeah Diddy Kong was in Rio 2016 

Okay, I honestly didn't remember seeing him in the few videos and promos I saw.

Would anyone really be that devastated by the lack of a Mii Character? I mean sure, you'd loose the costumes, but is that enough of a reason to keep them around?

I'm mostly mad about the lack of other characters, I kinda blame the fans if they really took them out, because people complained about restricted characters to 1 event only... And to solve the issue, they actually removed them altogether. Sure, this game seems more fun than Rio 2016, but it's still a step back for the roster. I'm not holding my breath for free updates, simply because asking for more characters in 24 events takes a lot of time, money for animations, programming etc. Either they return as guests or fewer characters in few events. 

A paid DLC campaign a la Splatoon 2 and Mario + Rabbids would be my favorite option. With 8 new characters in four exclusive events plus 4 that are in the base game, with a new story mode that focuses on these new characters and Browser JR. and Metal Sonic as villains.

2 hours ago, Tangled Jack said:

I'm mostly mad about the lack of other characters, I kinda blame the fans if they really took them out, because people complained about restricted characters to 1 event only... And to solve the issue, they actually removed them altogether. Sure, this game seems more fun than Rio 2016, but it's still a step back for the roster. I'm not holding my breath for free updates, simply because asking for more characters in 24 events takes a lot of time, money for animations, programming etc. Either they return as guests or fewer characters in few events. 

A paid DLC campaign a la Splatoon 2 and Mario + Rabbids would be my favorite option. With 8 new characters in four exclusive events plus 4 that are in the base game, with a new story mode that focuses on these new characters and Browser JR. and Metal Sonic as villains.

I doubt that they removed the new characters cuz of our complaints, we only complained that the new characters were restricted to one event each. There’s no way that the developers mistook that as “oh, they don’t like new characters in one event? Let’s just remove them and have the usual 20 character roster!” 

Plus I’m sure they’ve seen our complaints about that before. 

Lets just be patient about this and see what happens, I mean who knows, maybe they’ll add free updates via online mode kinda like how Mario Tennis Aces handled their character roster