Awoo.

Mario and Sonic at the 2020 Tokyo Olympic Games Announced

tailsBOOM!

Whenever they're making games that aren't on mobile, expect them to be stingy with the roster. Even games where they only have the Sonic cast to work with like TSR isn't safe from roster restrictions. It's just kind of how they roll. If this game were being made by Nintendo, I have a feeling the roster would be rather bloated at this point. 

3 hours ago, Dr. Detective Mike said:

Whenever they're making games that aren't on mobile, expect them to be stingy with the roster. Even games where they only have the Sonic cast to work with like TSR isn't safe from roster restrictions. It's just kind of how they roll. If this game were being made by Nintendo, I have a feeling the roster would be rather bloated at this point. 

But they were in Rio. Why not here? By the way they aren't in the game, besides the obvious lack of them in gameplay and trailers, in the menu, the website which has no more space for the roster. The interview even says no new characters. So I guess that's a no, and a step back.

Honestly, even if the rivals were playable they likely wouldn't promote them as such anymore. The guest concept completely blew up in their faces with Rio when they hyped everyone up but basically lied about the roster until very close to release, and the game being so lackluster didn't help the disappointment. I don't even think the idea was bad since it allowed for far more fanservice than 4 new characters would (one of which would likely end up being Zavok since Sonic is short of a Power type), but most people hated it because it downgraded their favourites, when all of them being fully playable would have never happened regardless. I'm not surprised they've taken some steps back from it to focus on other stuff making this a better game.

The Sonic guests may still be in the mobile version since they mentioned wanting to bring in as many characters as possible for that one, and hopefully everyone returns if they continue making Olympics (though this is starting to feel like FIFA)

The thing is. They could have added 4 more characters in total in every event, some of them needed to be promoted anyway, Rouge, Jet, Rosalina and Diddy deserved it. But in that case, some of my favorites would still be out, but again, this is why I liked the guest idea, a lot of characters got a role even though a small one, so at least for me, I'd take something over nothing.

4 hours ago, Tangled Jack said:

But they were in Rio. Why not here? By the way they aren't in the game, besides the obvious lack of them in gameplay and trailers, in the menu, the website which has no more space for the roster. The interview even says no new characters. So I guess that's a no, and a step back.

I wasn't referring to the one event only characters specifically when I said this. I'm just talking about expectations concerning a roster in general. Even in Rio, they didn't feel the need to do much aside from thether them to a single event. Its not something I feel bad about losing if its truly gone. At most that was an adorable little gesture but there's not much to get out of only being able to play as Rouge in figure skating to me.

I'm not fretting over it. 

Dream Racing is the closest we are getting to a new Sonic Riders.

Dream Karate is the closest we are getting to more Sonic characters in Smash or Battle 2.

As long as Blaze is in the game, I'm sold.  I love that they brought back Dream events...the last game was pretty lackluster in terms of content.

Would be cool if you could import your Avatar character from Sonic forces as your avatar in that game too.

Will never happen, but would have been cool.

Neat, that will make some people relieved for sure. I suppose there will be guests for select events, but not all of them. It appears this one is for Sport Climbing (maybe Rouge?), but another screenshot for 100m does not have the icon, which might mean Nabbit will not return or is just somewhere else now. Interested to see if everyone is back since they mentioned no new characters, but technically even Nega would count since he wasn't in Rio Wii U.

Customizing the character is listed as "options", I think it means character icon, but it would be cool if you could switch between olympic suits and regular designs. If not, well, at least Dream events have the traditional designs.

As for the guests… nice to see hope is restored, I hope to see my favorites, I already have my nose crooked for Nega's presence which I don't like but still. Considering 14/20 were in Rio Wii U/3DS, I'm guessing only 14 to 20 events will have one guest. No less, no more. Okay I'll just wait, but I'm glad if the system beat the boss = unlock him for that event is still in because I liked it.

So Sega just accidentally revealed their entire guest character roster in some TGS promo art that shows all of the character emblems. After some snooping it turns out there actually is one Mario newcomer in there, so I've spoilered it just in case:

Spoiler

- Espio, Jet, Zavok, Zazz, Eggman Nega and Rouge for the Sonic side

- Ludwig von Koopa, Diddy Kong, Toadette, Larry Koopa, Rosalina and Wendy Koopa for Mario

image.png.077ba84e461ae5b7ef884129af17483d.png

And in case someone asks, I've recognized Nega's emblem from Sochi 2014

image.png.ca5b370df674121014eef58df38e8952.png

44 minutes ago, LukA8 said:

So Sega just accidentally revealed their entire guest character roster in some TGS promo art that shows all of the character emblems. After some snooping it turns out there actually is one Mario newcomer in there, so I've spoilered it just in case:

Hide contents

- Ludwig von Koopa, Diddy Kong, Toadette, Larry Koopa, Rosalina and Wendy Koopa for Mario

Lol, you beat me too it! 

But regardless I’m so happy to see more characters and TOADETTE is a character, I’ve never been so happy to see it! 

• Thumbs Up 1

Spoiler

I find it weird that Pauline isn't on the list, considering her comeback on Mario Odyssey and appearance in Tennis Aces.

Spoiler

Toadette is the one character I'm happy about, besides Rosa and Diddy, I'm really upset for Zazz and Nega mostly, over Omega, Big, no bitch Wave thank God, my poor Sticks I suspected was dead since the day she wasn't added to Speed Battle. But it really lacks Sonic girls, Why not add the popular comic ones, Tangle & Whisper?

3 hours ago, LukA8 said:

Hide contents

Did they take away some only to add one?

2 hours ago, Ellipsis-Ultima said:
  Hide contents

I find it weird that Pauline isn't on the list, considering her comeback on Mario Odyssey and appearance in Tennis Aces.

Yeah, kinda. I suppose it's because she still doesn't have that much prominence within the series.

21 minutes ago, Tangled Jack said:
  Hide contents

I'm really upset for Zazz and Nega mostly, over Omega, Big, 

They were in the past games, though..

22 minutes ago, Tangled Jack said:
  Hide contents

no bitch Wave thank God, my poor Sticks I suspected was dead since the day she wasn't added to Speed Battle. 

So that's who they removed? That's a bummer.

22 minutes ago, Tangled Jack said:
  Hide contents

But it really lacks Sonic girls, Why not add the popular comic ones, Tangle & Whisper?

Because they need to stay right where they are.

Spoiler

I'll miss Wave and Sticks, but Omega being missing is pretty striking. I'd argue he's definitely more important than Nega, Zavok, or Zazz, and he was a rival in the past. I'll wait and see if he's just unplayable or MIA altogether before I say anything else, though.

• Thumbs Up 2

Don't give up guys.. It's always DLC coming soon after the game releases.

Here is my DLC wishlist:

DLC Wave 1:

Playable Characters:
Mario side:
Toad

Pauline

Birdo

King Boo

Sonic side:

Sticks

Omega

Big

Wave

Real Events:
Platform Dive

20K Race Walk

Beach Volleyball

Wrestling

BMX

Dream Events:

Dream Sky Flight - Angel Island (Sonic the Hedgehog 3)
Dream Volleyball - Emerald Coast (Sonic Adventure)

Dream Go Kart - Mario Circuit  (Mario Kart 8

Dream Ghost Hunt - Luigi's Mansion (Luigi's Mansion 3)

DLC Wave 2:

Mario side:

Dixie Kong

King K. Rool

Petey Pirahna

Boo

Sonic side:

Storm

Infinite

Chaos

Tikal

Some more real events and dream events.

Okay guys, you can have idea for DLC waves for this game.

57 minutes ago, Tangled Jack said:
  Hide contents

But it really lacks Sonic girls, Why not add the popular comic ones, Tangle & Whisper?

Spoiler

Because they've never included comic content and probably never will, regardless of the fact circumstances are different.

4 hours ago, LukA8 said:

Hide contents

Spoiler

Oh wow so we got not just one, but two Lost World villains? Thank goodness. Who needs forgettable and utterly unremarkable antagonists like Chaos, Heavy King, or even Infinite?

33 minutes ago, MainJP said:
  Hide contents

Oh wow so we got not just one, but two Lost World villains? Thank goodness. Who needs forgettable and utterly unremarkable antagonists like Chaos, Heavy King, or even Infinite?

Spoiler

Heavy King isn't getting in regardless and Infinite is considered unknown at the least. Chaos is a better question, especially in comparison to Metal.

Of course, you're late to the punch, as those two were in Rio.

6 hours ago, Tangled Jack said:
  Hide contents

Toadette is the one character I'm happy about, besides Rosa and Diddy, I'm really upset for Zazz and Nega mostly, over Omega, Big, no bitch Wave thank God, my poor Sticks I suspected was dead since the day she wasn't added to Speed Battle. But it really lacks Sonic girls, Why not add the popular comic ones, Tangle & Whisper?

Whoa damn , why you hate wave so much.

RIP sticks

2 minutes ago, Shadowlax said:

Whoa damn , why you hate wave so much.

RIP sticks

Also RIP Sonic Boom since it's never getting a season 3.