Awoo.

Mario and Sonic at the 2020 Tokyo Olympic Games Announced

tailsBOOM!

I mean, I never thought those spikes were apart of Knuckles' actual hands anyway. A minor detail about the Sonic cast is that each of them has entirely different gloves from one another.

Sonic's got the default white ones. Tails has a black band in between the cuffs of his gloves. Knuckles has spikes on them. Amy's got one big golden cuff. Shadow's got a golden cuff with a weird red and black sleeve attached to it. Rouge has those really long gloves with a purple finish on them. Omega... Vector's got ones with huge black cuffs with white stripes and golden buckles on them. Espio's is this weird ninja gauntlet thing. Charmy's has black cuffs on them, similar to Amy's golden ones. Silver's is all futuristic looking and Blaze has that weird fuzz on hers. I think Cream's has little yellow buttons on them and Big's got brown fishing gloves on. Eggman's got those snazzy designed yellow-orange cuffs too. 

I just listed all the integral differences between the types of gloves the Sonic cast wear. Could you College professor do that? I'm betting not.

• Thumbs Up 1

35 minutes ago, Dr. Franken-Mike said:

I mean, I never thought those spikes were apart of Knuckles' actual hands anyway. A minor detail about the Sonic cast is that each of them has entirely different gloves from one another.

Sonic's got the default white ones. Tails has a black band in between the cuffs of his gloves. Knuckles has spikes on them. Amy's got one big golden cuff. Shadow's got a golden cuff with a weird red and black sleeve attached to it. Rouge has those really long gloves with a purple finish on them. Omega... Vector's got ones with huge black cuffs with white stripes and golden buckles on them. Espio's is this weird ninja gauntlet thing. Charmy's has black cuffs on them, similar to Amy's golden ones. Silver's is all futuristic looking and Blaze has that weird fuzz on hers. I think Cream's has little yellow buttons on them and Big's got brown fishing gloves on. Eggman's got those snazzy designed yellow-orange cuffs too. 

I just listed all the integral differences between the types of gloves the Sonic cast wear. Could you College professor do that? I'm betting not.

I'll be honest and say I didn't pay most of that much attention.

1 hour ago, Dr. Franken-Mike said:

It most likely had something to do with male Echidna's of the Knuckles Clan all having the same hands/gloves. That's probably the reason people came to the conclusion that it was a trait rather than an accessory, though it didn't explain why Tikal didn't have it.

13 minutes ago, MainJP said:

It most likely had something to do with male Echidna's of the Knuckles Clan all having the same hands/gloves. That's probably the reason people came to the conclusion that it was a trait rather than an accessory, though it didn't explain why Tikal didn't have it.

Dimorphism? 

2 hours ago, Dr. Franken-Mike said:

Eggman's got those snazzy designed yellow-orange cuffs too. 

Those are the inside of his jacket sleeves rolled up at the end.

He just has regular gloves on.

2 minutes ago, StaticMania said:

Yeah, you can literally see his wrists in artwork.

qFYVINy.png

27 minutes ago, StaticMania said:

I knew one of those was going to be wrong. 

Although his gloves are still different in design from Sonic's, the differences are now a lot more subtle. They don't roll up at the end and have that white strip on top of them.

Oh well. Point is they all got different gloves. 

I don’t know that this necessarily  confirms Knuckles spikes aren’t a part of his hands. I’m pretty sure in the boxing games he’s always had regular ol boxing gloves with no spikes. I think it’s really just so they won’t have to model special spiked gloves for him. 

In this crazy cartoon world I imagine those spikes are actually a part of his body and when he puts new gloves on they just magically don't appear to avoid tearing them open. Idk I don’t like the thought he doesn’t actually have those spikes since it’d be like if Tails’ second tail was a prosthetic. It wouldn’t be right.

• Thumbs Up 2

I like to imagine Charmy's got blonde flowing locks under his helmet, like Finn.

Either that or a huge, fuck-off afro.

Funny how the males are all naked and yet we still wanna know what's under what little they're wearing. 

We're all sick.

On 10/11/2019 at 7:04 AM, Cayenne said:

This one. For some reason, the "much about him is shrouded in mystery..."part annoys hardcore fans.

I dont get why this upsets people

10 hours ago, Splash the Otter said:

One of my friends noticed something interesting about Knuckles' new render:

I hate when people draw the spikes as biologically part of his hands

10 hours ago, MainJP said:

For me it's because they're supposed to be analogous to actual echidnas' big gnarly claws. Having his knuckle spikes just be part of his gloves is like if they came out and said Sonic's spikes aren't actually spikes, just regular hair that he spiked up with gel and hairspray, or Tails doesn't actually have two tails, but just built himself a prosthetic helicopter ass. Part of the fun of Sonic character designs is how they adapt traits from the animals they're based on into their design and abilities.

• Thumbs Up 4

Maybe they're retractable? And he just pulls them inward so he can fit these regulation sports gloves over them?

Whereas his own gloves are designed specifically to make room for his spikes.

I don't know.

12 hours ago, Dr. Franken-Mike said:

....Knuckles wore boxing gloves. That was their distinction before you even get to the spikes.

27 minutes ago, Wraith said:

....Knuckles wore boxing gloves. That was their distinction before you even get to the spikes.

Sure.

Whats with the ellipses though? Was the missing pertinant glove information that shocking to you? Not to worry. The spikes were just the defining feature that drew the eye to the gloves and were the initial subject matter. Tis why I mentioned them before the fact thay they were indeed boxing gloves.

Just now, Dr. Mechano said:

Maybe they're retractable? And he just pulls them inward so he can fit these regulation sports gloves over them?

Whereas his own gloves are designed specifically to make room for his spikes.

I don't know.

I mentioned that earlier. It doesn't make sense to me that Rouge has a natural means for climbing (sharp nails) while a guy who hails from a species with humongous claws needing some sort of tool.

Knuckles's large hands are the most emphasized part of his design so it wouldn't surprise me if the spikes are supposed to be an abstraction of an echidna's claws since that's what Sonic designs tend to do, they never dip too far into the "more closely resembles the animal it came from" trap. It's exactly like how Sonic is a hedgehog and Tails is a fox but they lack the detailing that would put them into a more blatantly "anthro" style, they're more like...an abstraction of a hedgehog and a fox than anything..

usgtCEN.pngydBRfGs.png

And his trait of digging was actually the reason people used to think he was a mole, all the more reason for me to believe that the spikes are supposed to be claw-like appendages.

• Thumbs Up 1

It wouldn't matter either way but its tough trying to imagine red spikes underneath those gloves. Its hard imagining Knuckles' hands period. I can't liken them to Sonic's spikes or Tails' butt because those aren't covered and I know for sure what those are.

Plus, what makes sense for an animal to have isn't reliable to me when it comes to these character's designs either. I don't have too much reason to believe that the climbing appendage wasn't just grafted to an item they wear on their person rather than their body itself. Like how the Babylon Rogues don't have any wings and just use boards to fly.

So, I can only judge based on what it looks like without definitive confirmation and they just looked like special gloves to me. 

He's a cartoon character so his anatomy isn't supposed to make sense. I've always assumed they were a natural part of Echinda hands and Tikal not having them was just to reinforce her passive nature. It still works the other way though where she could have chosen not to wear gloves like that so I'm fine with either interpretation. 

Spoiler

I bet they just forgot to put them on

• Thumbs Up 2

The "Rouge can climb naturally but knuckles cant" thing reminded me of the joke from Sonic Boom where Soar went "Isn't it weird that the fox can fly but the bird needs to use a jetpack?"

But seriously, I always thought the spikes were part of his hands. It feels more weird to think of them as a prosthetic.

• Thumbs Up 1

10 minutes ago, thumbs13 said:

The "Rouge can climb naturally but knuckles cant" thing reminded me of the joke from Sonic Boom where Soar went "Isn't it weird that the fox can fly but the bird needs to use a jetpack?"

But seriously, I always thought the spikes were part of his hands. It feels more weird to think of them as a prosthetic.

Especially since he grew up in the wild.

Eh, no reason to assume they aren't a part of his biology. I'll just chalk the fencing glove up to being "magic" and go from there

I know this is kind of a dick thing to say, and I'm sorry for that, but this is pretty much the perfect example of how bizarrely dumb the Sonic fanbase can be. 

We're literally talking about a franchise built around brightly colored rubber hose cartoon animal people with superpowers, and yet there are still people who insist on calling out weirdly specific parts of this inherently absurd fictional world.

Knuckles can be red, sentient, 3 feet tall, bipedal, super strong, glide through the air, and have no visible genitalia, but the fist spikes are too ridiculous?  That's where the line is?  Why is that where the line is?

• Thumbs Up 2