Awoo.

Mario and Sonic at the 2020 Tokyo Olympic Games Announced

tailsBOOM!

1 hour ago, Shadowlax said:

you will get infinite

How much you wanna bet that you won't?

3 minutes ago, Dr. Detective Mike said:

How much you wanna bet that you won't?

I was saying that as a consolation. So you saying he wont get anyone he asking for damn, let that guy have a little hope

1 hour ago, tailsBOOM! said:

So, anyone want to make roster predictions?

If your going to make roster predictions, then you cant start anywhere else than the guest characters that have been popping up in the last couple games.

I wouldn't expect all the guests from Rio to make the transition (its a pretty extensive list) - but mainstays like Rouge, Jett, Rosalina and Toad would be virtual locks if the roster see's a bump. Maybe you leave a slot on the back end for new faces like Pauline and Infinite.

• Thumbs Up 2

I haven't bought any games in this series since the original on Wii. But I'm actually rather pleased to see that it's still a thing and I can't explain why.

• Thumbs Up 5

^ My exact same experience.

If this reviews well I might pick it up out of respect for the franchise's longetivity, but minigame compilations aren't quite my thing these days.  Either way I'm looking forward to the soundtrack, hopefully they aren't as stingy with remixes as Rio was (though at least that game had an amazing original score to make up the difference).  I'm also definitely eager to see everyone's sports attire, that's a really nice detail.  Seems like Odyssey threw the gates wide open on messing with character design in the Mario franchise and I love it.

I have no idea why they didn't add athletic shorts to the Sonic cast. They look so weird with just a shirt and nothing else. Eggman rocks his outfit because of the complementing colors added from shorts. Light blue on Sonic alone is doesn't jell well. Tails lucks out a bit more with the darker orange, but even still it's not too easy on the eyes. 

Finally, the male characters also wear outfits. It always bugged me, that the girls did get clothes but the boys didn't.

As weird as it may sound, I'm really hyped for this.

The reason why is that Mario and Sonic at the 2012 London Olympic Games was the first game I got on the Wii.

• Thumbs Up 1

Weird how they skipped the 2018 Winter Olympics. I assumed the series was dead.

Hopefully those guest characters are fully playable in all events. I've been wanting Espio payable since the original, I was so annoyed when I found out he was playable in Rio, but only in certain events.

Also, I hope more games are more than just waggling the controller/QTE.

5 minutes ago, Marcello said:

Weird how they skipped the 2018 Winter Olympics.

Ubisoft wasted it as DLC for Steep

Anyways, I might actually enjoy this, this might be my first Mario and Sonic game outside of Smash (and the 3DS version of Rio 2016) so yeah.

but please Nintendo, let Sega have amiibo support for the game.

• Promotion 1

Whoa, that was kinda surprising. Specially after no "announcement of the announcement" or something.

Likely how @Marcello said, I thought the series was dead since we didn't got the 2018 Winter Edition.

By the way, the chances were minimum to me to play as likely we won't receive a PC edition. However, I also feel this will be likely one of those games that in short will be easily forgot, specially for the minimum differences from the others. Wouldn't be easier if they just released a main sport game and then kept sending updates to it in every Olympic Games edition (Paid or not)?

We knew we were getting one, because SEGA had the rights for Tokyo 2020 Olympics, but yes, it could have just been a proper generic Olympic title instead of Mario & Sonic.

I'm pleased to see a lot of people excited for the game! Because I kind of grew up with this series, so I think everyone is in for traditions, this is a cool tradition and I'm glad they keep doing it.

Those outfits… it was about time, and everyone has a different color, cool!

Now what I hope for the game:

- A cool single player mode with characters interactions, I liked how Rio had the characters talk in a hub place, I loooved Rio (even though it lacked dream events!), maybe a story? I don't know why they refuse to add that… would be cool to throw in some platforming or puzzle elements a la Mario + Rabbids.

- Dream Events are a must, I freaking loved them and they were missed in Rio, they need some arcade elements and Mario & Sonic locations at least. They are so creative, unlike regular events.

- Cool bosses that you have to beat in single player mode, and then you unlock them in ALL the events, so I'm not expecting too many new characters, I just hope there are some… otherwise 1 event guests work too I guess.

- Online? I don't know, for certain events like race types. But I suppose there is not much demand.

- Customization: I need this, maybe because Mario games, Forces and TSR made me used to it, but I really want some customization options...

I know these are unlikely, but just let me speculate and dream.

So, if there are some new characters, who should be in it? I predict the usual 20 + Miis + a couple more, either that or guest characters (outside of the regular 20). I guess guest characters were in Rio because they were basically bosses for each event and then they decided to let us play with them in that specific event, it worked so maybe they could return.

Also, please don't throw in Classic Sonic characters. This is more of a modern spin-off.

• Thumbs Up 1

25 minutes ago, Jack the Shadow said:

They are so creative, unlike regular events.

That would be the point, yes?

Well, the first Mario and Sonic Olympics on the Switch. I'm hoping the motion controls are a side-feature and not the main event. I really don't want another repeat of Go Vacation with this. I just hope that all those who were event-locked in Rio get full status here.

And count me as another who wants them to go all out for this one.

• Thumbs Up 1

13 minutes ago, DarkRula said:

Well, the first Mario and Sonic Olympics on the Switch. I'm hoping the motion controls are a side-feature and not the main event. I really don't want another repeat of Go Vacation with this. I just hope that all those who were event-locked in Rio get full status here.

And count me as another who wants them to go all out for this one.

I really doubt it, even though I like to dream, realistically I don't expect 14 new characters in every event, either 4-8 new, and even that is A LOT to ask, or all the guests from Rio to return for 1 or 2 events.

They could go like this, 14 normal events, 14 dream events, 14 guests playable in 1 regular event and 1 dream event. I'd be okay with that. Assuming there are 28 events, I'm expecting a lot less though.

Would you rather have few new characters in every event, or a lot of them restricted to 1?

I'd want most of the guests to get main roster status, bring the total to fifteen per side. The others could still be featured elsewhere, possibly as exclusive for certain modes. It just didn't seem right that exclusive in Rio specifically tied them to an event - and even worse in the 3DS version where it happened to everyone but Mario and Sonic.

• Promotion 1

I thought motion controls were what made the series good, I don't think a return to button mashing olympic games is a great idea.

27 minutes ago, Plasme said:

I thought motion controls were what made the series good, I don't think a return to button mashing olympic games is a great idea.

There's plenty of "shake the controller as fast as you can to stimulate gameplay" style gameplay if the trailer is anything to go by.

1:05

I don't have much to say except is basically going to be the same game we've seen many times before. Nice that it exists as I said before, but zero interest in it personally. I wonder how well it will sell; the Switch is still an absolute sales powerhouse but the market for this kind of game has inevitably shrunk from the Wii days.

• Thumbs Up 3