Awoo.

Mario and Sonic at the 2020 Tokyo Olympic Games Announced

tailsBOOM!

Another thing, would put in the last post but the phone won't let me edit it. 

"Vector, I'm eight years old, does it look like I can pay a fee."

Not what he said but he might as well have done. 

25 minutes ago, Whispering Ultima said:

Alpha Dream was involved with this game:

https://goldmetalsonic.wordpress.com/2019/11/02/alphadreams-mystery-switch-game-was-mario-sonic-at-the-olympic-games-tokyo-2020/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

This is the same company that worked on the Mario and Luigi RPG games and recently declared bankruptcy unfortunately.

Damn, how did that happen? 

9 hours ago, DabigRG said:

Damn, how did that happen? 

They weren’t unable to keep up with their growing debt of ¥465 million, likely as a result of poor sales of the Mario and Luigi remakes on top of sluggish revenues and high development costs.

Atleast we now know what game they were working on prior to their bankruptcy. Hopefully the former developers there are able to find a new home.

1 hour ago, Dr Egg-Gin said:

Hide contents

Blaze might as well have been left out of story mode, she contributes pretty much nothing to it.

Spoiler

Aside from that extra pass tho, yeah thats the only thing that she did.

And one easy way that could have been bypassed was by giving it to Donkey Kong since he also gives out a pass at that time (and is relevant to that event). 

I mean I guess it's better than Cream and Charmy who are actually MIA from story mode. Omochao and Toad show up but not them.

Okay things I appreciate about this game that I noticed, even though I have to wait until the 8th to play it… ugh. Trying to resist the story spoilers and guest gameplay:

- Although I don't care much for the Retro events, they seem well implemented I have to say, with details and stuff, plus I do think it was a good decision to keep Mario 8-bit sprites and Sonic 16-bit sprites, I know they don't fit each other but still, they are the original ones, so it's for nostalgia reasons and it works.

- The Dream Events are really cool, I wish they added more via updates or DLC but I doubt it's happening, although they have put more care and effort into this chapter so, you never know? My favorite has to be Dream Karate, with Dream Shooting in second. Dream Racing should have had more tracks and locations, that would have been really awesome… but I love how Racing seems Sonic Riders 4 + the Mario cast, and Dream Karate resembles Smash Bros. but with Waluigi and more Sonic characters. It's (almost) exactly as we imagined it.

- Every minigame seems like it has care to the details, which makes them harder to master.

- Apparently they scrapped the "easy" difficulty for a "extra hard" one. Yay, more challenge.

- Online functionality for every event, that's pretty cool but I'm waiting to see how it works for now...

- The Guests actually feel like special event characters, which is okay I guess? They are like playable bosses, it works now because there is actually a story with them included, I have yet to see it because I don't want to get spoiled, but I hope they have great dialogues. I just wish they had more characters, they could have gone really crazy with it, instead we get monster Waluigi and Eggman lite...

- The Story: From what I've heard (I saw basically the first 8 minutes), it's pretty much Tennis Aces combined with Mario & Luigi (explains why Alpha Dream was involved), the dialogues have basically that type of fun and charm, personalities seem well handled and it's just so wacky, and I love the possible interactions. Plus SEGA made 2 Whole maps of Tokyo, 2020 and 1964, that's cool. Probably my favorite part of the game. And it's not just an empty story with dialogues, there are actually exclusive minigames set in Tokyo! And you have to recruit your party a la Winter games on DS.

The only downer is that the mini-hubworlds feel really boring, unlike Rio's big interactive menu of the Copagabana beach. But I suppose Tokyo has a lot more to offer in general. Still, hoping to see some DLC with extra stuff.

These games have 20 playable characters and I only ever play as 10 of them...

Sudden epiphany aside, I skipped Rio and they skipped the Winter Olympics after Rio so this'll be the first Olynpics game I've played since I spent money on Sochi, played it for about 2 hours, and then never went back to it again.

I honestly am looking forward to it a little. 

Maybe a little less since Charmy's not in the story apparently but oh well. 

Shouldn't the reviews be out already? SEGA basically gave the game to everyone, and not the press for reviews?

The reviews are out now! Annnnd... they’re not particularly good, but it’s not super bad either.

https://www.metacritic.com/game/switch/mario-sonic-at-the-olympic-games-tokyo-2020

Currently sitting on a Metascore of 69 (lol) with 22 reviews. Each game in the series has landed around the same review scale except Sochi (and for good reason, mind you) so it’s not like it’s worse than any of the other games in that regard.

Ah, it's a shame though because this time they took their time and effort to try to improve the series, other than being a basic minigame collection, they added story, online, retro stuff and the return of dream events, I don't know what else they can do with it, it may as well be the last chapter of the Olympic series, I don't think it has much else to say, same for Smash Bros. Besides adding other characters full time what else can you do with it?

I'm at least praising this game over TSR , while it's a shame they didn't remix more music, the game offers... something in this case. TSR probably got better reviews for the game deph and that's it.

"More of the same" as a summary of both the quality of the game and the type of reviews this series receives; doesn't sound like an impressive verdict for a series that actually took a time out due to declining sales. I doubt it's going to be a strong selling point either.

I doubt I'll ever enjoy another Olympic entry as much as Vancouver DS, the only one I'd argue had some real depth to it thanks to its Adventure mode with tons of exploration, character-specific recruiting and minigames, side quests and even a freaking post-game campaign.

The sport outfits are a nice distraction to the fact that most events are simply ported from Rio, but even with online mode they will get old really fast, including the dream events which may be highlights but as usual only offer one single map you will have mastered after a few tries. To this day I don't understand why they never brought back the Mission and Circuit Modes from the very first game, especially the latter that you'd think would be a staple for the series just like it is for Kart Racers.

• Thumbs Up 1

59 minutes ago, Milo said:

took a time out due to declining sales.

?

The last installment didn't leave the ground floor because another company was given the Olympic license. Had Sega of not been outbid for that, there is no reason to think we wouldn't have yet another installment in the series under our belts.

49 minutes ago, Sega DogTagz said:

?

The last installment didn't leave the ground floor because another company was given the Olympic license. Had Sega of not been outbid for that, there is no reason to think we wouldn't have yet another installment in the series under our belts.

I was referring to past entries in the M&S series (London 2012 on the 3DS, Sochi 2014, Rio 2016), not Ubisoft's Steep.

I'd also say Ubisoft getting the rights to 2018 for Steep was less a case of Sega being outbid and more of a lack of interest on Sega's behalf on continuing to produce additional Olympics games on a long-term basis. 2017 saw the end of what was a ten-year contract of Sega having exclusive rights to make officially licensed Olympics games, they very likely would have had the option to renew or re-negotiate the contract before the license went to any other interested publishers. (In retrospect, the series possibly being shelved would had been a more accurate statement in my original post than saying it was on a time-out.)

Now that the game is out, let's talk about the DLC, which isn't happening but you never know, they should probably do one in time when the actual Olympics start, that would be an interesting idea. Here's my attempt and effort at a DLC story pack:

Mario & Sonic - My "Dream" DLC Story-expansion

This is how I would do my M&S Tokyo DLC, dream edition: A brand new story, taking inspiration from the main one in Tokyo 2020 and Mario & Luigi, specifically Dream Team, but instead of being divided between 2020 and 1964 3D vs 2D, it's nightime Tokyo vs Dream world. It'd be a huge DLC expansion a la Mario Rabbids and Splatoon 2.
The premise is somewhat simple, it's the night of the closing ceremony of the Olympics in Tokyo 2020 when, Bowser and Eggman team up for their latest scheme: Eggman designs a dream reality where he wants to trap the heroes forever, he adds the data into a special wand and Bowser's Magikoopa does the rest of the job by casting this "dream" spell on the heroes, which put them to sleep during the ceremony. Bowser and Eggman proclaim that their own Olympics have just begun and the night of the Olympic games will last forever, the heroes can't stop them this time. Mario & Sonic, as well as Toad, Luigi, Tails, Knuckles, Yoshi, Peach, Wario, Waluigi, Blaze, Silver and Vector all get transported into this Mario & Sonic mixed up reality, with places of both universes condensed into one. So the game is split up into 2 maps, the Mario & Sonic Dream World and Nighttime Tokyo. Now, the plan would work if not for the fact that some people were late to the ceremony and couldn't show up when everyone was put to sleep, namely Amy and Daisy who were preparing themselves so ended up being too late and weren't aware of the situation until they show up, while Donkey Kong was busy eating bananas, and Shadow just didn't care for the ceremony. So those 4 heroes are still awake in Tokyo and ready to stop Bowser and Eggman. Mario, Sonic and the others are welcomed in their own adventure by Toad and the special dream world guide Rosalina, but soon they find out that the world is being threatened by Zavok, who wants to destroy everything (as usual), note that none of the characters, including Rosalina and Zavok, are aware that they are dreaming and it's part of an evil plot, they think it's all normal, but a bit weird, Vector and Yoshi have their own sub-plot in which Vector in particular questions the reality of the place and the situation. Meanwhile in Nighttime Tokyo, Shadow is determined to stop Eggman and Bowser for his "pride", while Amy insists that he cares about the safety of the heroes, Daisy and Donkey Kong just love to compete in events to see who's the toughest of the two. Amy and Daisy in particular act like the heroines of the story, since they are the most selfless of the bunch. As they face various challenges and bosses, the remaining awake heroes find a way to use one of Tails' inventions that allows them to open a portal to the dream world, but ultimately they fail to enter it when Metal Sonic and Bowser jr. take advantage of the situation to join the dream world as spies, pretending to be asleep like the others. Amy is concerned of saving Sonic and the others while Daisy and Shadow just want to stop Bowser and Eggman by facing them in every sport, as well as bosses like Roy Koopa and Omega, and they also encounter friendly faces like Diddy who is welcomed by DK and Tangle, meanwhile in the Dream world Mario, Sonic and co. face off against treasure thieves Nabbit and Rouge. In the end, after various challenges, Mario & Sonic remember that they are sleeping and it's all false, which manages to trigger their waking up in the real world again, but before they go they stop Zavok who remains trapped in that reality for good. As the morning finally comes, and Mario & Sonic win one last time against Bowser and Eggman, the Olympic games can finally end... The End.

As for gameplay, there are 8 new events introduced, 4 regular and 4 dream, along with their own location and playable boss character, 4 of them are from the base game and 4 are new.

Team BMX - Guest: Tangle
Trampoline - Guest: Diddy Kong
Golf - Guest: Roy Koopa
Basketball - Guest: Omega

Dream Hurdles - Guest: Nabbit - Location: Mario Circuit 8 from Mario Kart 8 
Dream Skydiving - Guest: Rosalina - Location: Rainbow Road from Super Mario 64
Dream Rugby - Guest: Zavok - Location: Studiopolis from Sonic Mania
Dream Treasure Hunting - Guest: Rouge - Location: Sky Sanctuary from Sonic & Knuckles

1 hour ago, LukA8 said:

I doubt I'll ever enjoy another Olympic entry as much as Vancouver DS, the only one I'd argue had some real depth to it thanks to its Adventure mode with tons of exploration, character-specific recruiting and minigames, side quests and even a freaking post-game campaign.

The sport outfits are a nice distraction to the fact that most events are simply ported from Rio, but even with online mode they will get old really fast, including the dream events which may be highlights but as usual only offer one single map you will have mastered after a few tries. To this day I don't understand why they never brought back the Mission and Circuit Modes from the very first game, especially the latter that you'd think would be a staple for the series just like it is for Kart Racers.

I don't know why everyone keeps mentioning the outfits, they are a visual extra, this game offers a lot of content actually, and most sports have more deph surely than they did back in 2012, compare 2012 Football with the new one for example, or Boxing, or Rugby, even Javelin has more stuff into it, some are more arcade, some are simplifications of real events. That's my take. 44 Sports by the way, only London 3DS had more but they restricted the characters into teams, plus they were basically one prompt 10 sec minigames.

Vancouver DS story was the best, yeah, but still the "depth" wasn't into the actual events like now, it was in the story environment and structure IMO.

• Thumbs Up 1

Jack, I really like your idea. Few changes I would make

- Just to keep it more realistic, I would replace Tangle with Sticks or Cream (soooory) 
- Instead of another Koopaing, I would add Toad or even Birdo. We have 3 already (4 counting Junior)
- and I suspect Peach would make better 'main heroine' than Daisy.
- Eggman and Bowser are not main villains. It could be Nega and King Boo, but if we can go totally off the wall, it's Wart and Void (too obscure? Fine, Infinite).
- Instead Eggy and King Koopa are facing their lackeys turned against them. Metal is Neo and Jr grew larger than papa (or maybe is Shadow Mario)
-  Zavok could take control of Omega.

My personal "dream" would be adding Chaos to the roster, but Cream, Sticks, Big, Omega, Wave, Charmy  and arguably Storm deserve to get first in.

This game seems like a double-edged sword to me; while on the surface it seems to have more, there's also been a lot cut compared to Rio. 

So far, Cream has her own adventure in story mode, similar to what Princess Peach did at the end of Super Mario Odyssey. You go up to her amd she tells you the stuff she did at each place she went while exploring Japan. Its not connected to the main story but its there.

Also, I'm liking the character models, graphics, and lighting in this game more than Forces somehow. Its very bright but in a way that emphasizes the colors and not like they've got a weird lamp pressed against their faces. Sonic's shade of blue being darker and his quills not being cut down to resemble Classic Sonic is a bonus.

I've already spent more time on this game than I did Sochi. Having a story mode, regardless of its flimsiness, REALLY helps push you forward a lot. People really underestimate just how much it does.

Without it, I can see myself not picking it up again tomorrow. There's a bit more intriguing bells and whistles here but like with TSR and Forces before it, the samey nature of it all coupled with a lack of content won't keep it on anyone's radar for long.

Even having skipped Rio, I feel like I've done these before. If you're going to reuse events, might as well put focus on adding more Dream Events and characters.

That said, this is the best one I've played so far. If only because of story mode and the option to ignore the motion controls.