Awoo.

Mario and Sonic at the 2020 Tokyo Olympic Games Announced

tailsBOOM!

Quick question to anyone who owns the game currently. Are they still using the voice actors that were present in Team Sonic Racing, or did they manage to get some of the VAs that were absent back? I'm not sure if anyone had mentioned anything about that, outside of a few characters sounding a bit different. 

10 minutes ago, Menace2Society said:

Quick question to anyone who owns the game currently. Are they still using the voice actors that were present in Team Sonic Racing, or did they manage to get some of the VAs that were absent back? I'm not sure if anyone had mentioned anything about that, outside of a few characters sounding a bit different. 

It’s the voice actors from Team Sonic Racing 

• Fist Bump 1

"Silver is from the future, where the environment is so ravaged that the sky is always dark. When Silver sees a blue sky, he feels peace." says info card No. 75 in the game.

If this was info card No. 76, I could have made a Fallout 76 joke. Cause he's clearly living in the Fallout...

No seriously, I want to see this fucking future Silver is from. What the hell happened?!

And what must be going through his head if his surrounding can instantly turn from blue skies into a ravaged wasteland?

7 hours ago, Dr. Detective Mike said:

So far, Cream has her own adventure in story mode, similar to what Princess Peach did at the end of Super Mario Odyssey. You go up to her amd she tells you the stuff she did at each place she went while exploring Japan. Its not connected to the main story but its there.

Also, I'm liking the character models, graphics, and lighting in this game more than Forces somehow. Its very bright but in a way that emphasizes the colors and not like they've got a weird lamp pressed against their faces. Sonic's shade of blue being darker and his quills not being cut down to resemble Classic Sonic is a bonus.

I've already spent more time on this game than I did Sochi. Having a story mode, regardless of its flimsiness, REALLY helps push you forward a lot. People really underestimate just how much it does.

Without it, I can see myself not picking it up again tomorrow. There's a bit more intriguing bells and whistles here but like with TSR and Forces before it, the samey nature of it all coupled with a lack of content won't keep it on anyone's radar for long.

Even having skipped Rio, I feel like I've done these before. If you're going to reuse events, might as well put focus on adding more Dream Events and characters.

That said, this is the best one I've played so far. If only because of story mode and the option to ignore the motion controls.

I actually agree. It's cool that Cream was sent off screen to her own adventures in Japan.

Yeah, it's definitely the best game of the bunch but, at the same time, it feels like I've done this before, they did try creating new things with Mario & Sonic series by introducing story, online, the return of Dream Events, some new events and the retro ones, but still, 17 of them are previous events, I don't know… it is kinda balanced but still like you know… it feels a bit old. That said, I repeat, I doubt they can shake the formula even more, it's been done a lot of times already, so yeah, this should be the last chapter IMO.

And I don't agree about it lacking content though, only the guests are more restricted here than in Rio, and lack of Miis that are no longer relevant, the rest of the content is fine.

11 hours ago, DarkRula said:

And what must be going through his head if his surrounding can instantly turn from blue skies into a ravaged wasteland?

The question on the card was asking about what Silver's favorite thing about the present (or the past for him) was. 

I guessed nature and the answer was a blue sky, because his future doesn't have those.

Someone or something really fucked everyone over and its kind of interesting not knowing what.

Indeed. Leads to speculation over what could have happened in that future timeline.

But would one ever want it answered?

I've still got more than twelve hours left before this unlocks (assuming it is on a midnight unlock). I'm just going to dive straight into a few of the new events, and save the story for the next day.

I will be doing both the story and the events on day 1. Anyway, call me cynical but I doubt Silver's future will ever get explored in the games sadly, it's kind of obvious, maybe the comics, they were doing it in a great way in Archie, in IDW I'm not sure if it can happen but I certainly want to see it.

Tails just got really excited about being in a boxing match.

"With that pass, I could try my hand in a boxing match. Put 'em up, put 'em up!" he says.

Its almost too adorable. It should be illegal to be that adorable.

He's so happy to get to beat the crap out of someone.

On 11/6/2019 at 5:52 AM, Dr. Detective Mike said:

"Silver is from the future, where the environment is so ravaged that the sky is always dark. When Silver sees a blue sky, he feels peace." says info card No. 75 in the game.

If this was info card No. 76, I could have made a Fallout 76 joke. Cause he's clearly living in the Fallout...

No seriously, I want to see this fucking future Silver is from. What the hell happened?!

Considering there's potentially hundreds of other adventures that will take place between now and the future Silver's from, I suppose every new videogame we'll get is a potential new reason why Silver's future is screwed.
Kind of makes him a tragic character, after every epic battle he fights in the past to save his future, he comes home just to see everything in ruins once more. Thanks to Eggman's 3215th evil sceme from the past. Surprised it doesn't make him more jaded and aggresive yet where he just wants to kill Eggman to skip over the other 5000 bad futures left to come.

Or alternatively, I made a joke a long time ago where Silver did already save the future. It's just everytime he returns he ends up in an old memorial/ graveyard site, wrongfully concluding he needs to meddle with the past once more.

All of that said, yeah, I'd love to see Silver's future and have a game delve in what's specifically going on with him.
But that's not going to happen, lore, character contuiity and attention shifting away from Sonic's Zany jokes and Eggman's zany descention into apathetic  dementia are prohobited with modern Sonic.

• Thumbs Up 1

Gotta admit, it's genuinely fun, lots more than I anticipated, I saw a lot of people excited and I was so-so about the game itself, but the minigames are so fun, didn't expect them to be even more deep than Rio, take a look at boxing (my favorite) for example, you can guard high and low to block both moves, you can make combos AND special combos during the super move, block, perfect block, they also changed the way you revive your fighter. I'm impressed, also one event in particular which I expected to suck was archery and yeah… one of my favorites too, there are so many possibilities to get a high score, bonuses and combos.

Quite a few tricks and tips can be seen after the sport is played, and you unlock more tips as you replay them, I wish you could unlock them in the story, would have made more sense, but yes, this allows everyone to see how studied most of the events are. They are genuinely fun, unique and well thought at the same time, except for a couple of them like Badminton… which is pun intended, bad. Even 100m has more into it.

I have yet to try Dream events… I'm saving them for later. They are few but still the best they could come up with, as ideas at least, you can race, fight and shoot.

Retro events aren't as well made but still lots of fun maybe because they are simple and they have the nostalgia charm factor. Less characters… eh, would have been cool to see more in 8/16 bits. But I'm okay with the basics.

The new bunch of events may be some of the best yet… in particular, Climbing which is fun and hard at the same time for me at least, Karate is okay but probably the weakest out of the new, Surfing… haven't tried yet but I heard good things, and Skateboarding which is dope.

I appreciate how there are a variety of events between new, old, retro, dream, and even the minigames that you can play again outside of the story. 

Now... while the game is packed with great stuff, here are my negatives, or things that could be improved:

- The Cast: ok, the regular 20 are great, they got outfits, which should have been a thing before, I still wanted more, more could have been done with the roster, like, I don't know… only 12 guests, less than Rio, ok, but maybe have them in 2 events each? Since 12 x 2 = exactly 24 3D events, or add a couple more guests, or maybe scrap them altogether and put 4 new characters only but in every event.

Would have been better IMO.

- The Modes: Gosh, there is not much to do if you have no friends to play with, it's either Online or the Story, which as fun as it is will last 6 hours, I gotta get Switch online soon again… or it'll get boring quick. Shame, more party modes would have been welcome and make the game richer. Like, bring back that Mario vs Sonic elimination mode, it was a great idea, or tournaments.

- Lack of Miis: yeah, it's the first time, I get that they are outdated but they have been a feature for every Mario & Sonic, it's like cutting the Dream events. It also limits the customization, this is probably why they added outfits instead.

- Remixes: 2 of them? Really? Where is my Mario and Sonic music that you can play for every event?

- Music in general: It's really boring, basic and repetitive, gets tiring after an hour, it's the same thing on loop.

Also, more dream events would have been nicer. In terms of episodes of the series, so far I'd rank it like:

London > Vancouver > Tokyo > Sochi > Bejiing > Rio

Rio offered the least amount of content, Bejiing was really poor too but you know, there was this big crossover idea of Mario and Sonic competing at the Olympics, it was cool and a first, now it's gotten old… they've gotta come up with something new or this series will be done soon. The appeal at least is gone.

I've had a good amount of time playing it, so time for a first impressions. Read on down below for a summary or check out my blog post for the full details.

The game has great gameplay, whether that be in the 2020 or the 1964 events. The '64 events might not be as long-lasting as the 2020 events, but I put that down to me not being able to get immersed in the retro style even if I like retro games. As for the Dream Events, they might be few but two offer some great fun while the other just feels a standard party game fare of randomness. That being Dream Karate. The one thing missing from the game is the fan service, which is sorely lacking. There's nothing here other than the characters that can really stop it from being a reskin of the true Olympics Video game.

The story only ever reaches surface level interactions, but some are good fun to see. It's pretty much window dressing to get you to the events, while serving as a way to unlock a few minigames and guest characters. I couldn't recommend it to those who are wanting some great levels of fan service, but it is still a great party game to add to the collection of multiplayer mayhem sessions even if there's no connecting game that brings that true party feeling.

Alright, I'm gonna go ahead and take back what I said about "lack" of content. There's actually quite a lot to do in this game, especially compared to the last Olympics game I played. Even the events that I've done before, I feel like I'm getting a bit more out of when I see challenging they can be and how different button presses makes the experience versus being forced to exercise. 

Also, seeing Tails kick and punch the shit out of the Shy Guy gang is fucking hilarious.

Here’s my review for the game 

Mario and Sonic at the Tokyo 2020 Olympic Games- Review, Discussion, and Thoughts

I think the Silver future aspect is just lack if attention from the writers of the Sonic games. We see his ruined future in 06, and then Iblis is extinguished. His future has been saved, that plot point is done.

Any games which reference it now are just alluding to that part of his character with no knowledge that it's been solved.

Technically speaking, there's no reason he should even be around now his future has been saved.

1 hour ago, Plasme said:

I think the Silver future aspect is just lack if attention from the writers of the Sonic games. We see his ruined future in 06, and then Iblis is extinguished. His future has been saved, that plot point is done.

Not quite. Just like in the comics, Silver's future can fall into ruin due to almost any disaster level scenario that occurs in the past. In rivals 2, Silver again hails from a devastated future and is back to make things right. And that has nothing to do with Mephilies, Iblis or any of that junk. 

The writers are well aware of Silvers situation and constantly bring it up (the future is bright in Colors DS for example) - but in that same breath its unbelievably easy to re-destroy Silver's future via whatever threat is currently being posed in the current game.

34 minutes ago, Sega DogTagz said:

Not quite. Just like in the comics, Silver's future can fall into ruin due to almost any disaster level scenario that occurs in the past. In rivals 2, Silver again hails from a devastated future and is back to make things right. And that has nothing to do with Mephilies, Iblis or any of that junk. 

The writers are well aware of Silvers situation and constantly bring it up (the future is bright in Colors DS for example) - but in that same breath its unbelievably easy to re-destroy Silver's future via whatever threat is currently being posed in the current game.

Yeah, Silver's inclusion is generally a way to make the stakes high. That he's a somewhat relatable/charming character helps either way. 

2 hours ago, Sega DogTagz said:

Rivals 2 had such little attention to its story I don't even think it needs to be addressed.

3 hours ago, Plasme said:

Rivals 2 had such little attention to its story I don't even think it needs to be addressed.

The Rivals series is technically Silver's into into the franchise, seeing as how 06 reconnected itself, so it does remain an important part of the lore.

None-the-less, the status of Silver's future was brought up in Colors DS, Rivals, Rivals 2 and the prequel material to Sonic Forces. You even actually fight him in his destroyed future in Generations. Its been on full display in pretty much every story related game Silver has been a part of.

How can you say Silver's situation is "forgotten" by the writers when it has been addressed almost every time he pops up? Especially considering these are the same writers known to sweep this kind of thing under the rug. If they wanted to ignore it, they would, ala Knuckles and the Master Emerald.

Back to the topic at hand... the lack of new music remixes is disturbing. It was one of the highlights of past games, and Sega has been leaning hard on the music front as an appeal to Sonic fans lately. Kinda shocking that they skimped a bit there for this one...

• Thumbs Up 1

7 hours ago, Plasme said:

Any games which reference it now are just alluding to that part of his character with no knowledge that it's been solved.

Technically speaking, there's no reason he should even be around now his future has been saved.

That used to be his ruined future, and now it isn't. Silver's future will be destroyed by every future villain to show how tough they are, honestly.

That's some good news for it, and hopefully we can at least see a Winter Olympics on the Switch. Although I'd only want it if it could return to what made the series special.

We need those remixes, dammit! And some really great Dream Events.

Considering my name, it's no surprise this is one of my most favorite video game series period. I don't have this yet, but from what I've seen, it might be the best once since London 2012! (My personal favorite, I loved the Wii Dream Events and 3DS Story!) I'd really love it if the series continues because considering what can be done with Dream Events, there isn't really a limit on shaking up the formula IMO. Dream Events can change up olympic events to resemble completely fantastical athletical fiascos that are super fun to watch and play! The cool references to both series and the setting are also really beautiful. Tokyo only seems to have a few Dream events which disappoints me a little. To me it's simple, crank up the Dream Event dial, and I say you have a great Mario and Sonic at the Olympics game.

Also, a lot of people find the story mode tedious, but for me, ever since I played Vancouver 2010 DS, they have earned a special place in my heart. Being a huge fan of both Mario and Sonic's worlds and characters, it really excites me to see them intereact with each other in such believable, seamless ways. It's hard to tell that the characters are from two (almost) completely unrelated series with their interactions sometimes! I'm glad they kept the story mode for this one (a total blast from what I've seen!) I hope they keep the story mode thing going forward.

Another thing, BRING BACK THE CGI INTROS!! First seeing Mario and Sonic rendered together in high quality CGI in 2008 was one of the most unforgettable crowning moments in my life. The character interactions, visual spectacles, choreography and everything in those cinematics are just amazing to watch. To me, they are on the level of any animated movie. We had awesome CGI intros up to London but then reverted to ingame graphics for Rio and now Tokyo. I wanna see them return one day!