Awoo.

Mario and Sonic at the 2020 Tokyo Olympic Games Announced

tailsBOOM!

3 hours ago, DabigRG said:

Holy shit, I didn't even notice that!

Silver's been in since the first Winter Olympics alongside DK, BJ, and Metal.

Sticks is another I'd like to see back too, though.

I know this, I just meant that I saw silver in the trailer but he wasn't on the website is all

1 hour ago, Sega DogTagz said:

Most of the usual trash events I'd agree with. But I'll eat my fist if they were to leave out some of the longer, more involved sports like volleyball. Its one of the few games with a playtime long enough to consider online multiplayer viable - which is a selling point for this go around too.

I don't see why they would need to include them.

Fair enough, point taken... But just to nitpick, but you cant use the winter/summer split to bolster that argument. Kinda hard for Omega to be exclusive to the 100m dash when the winter olympics don't have one lol.

Yes I can. It's proof that they don't need associated events to show up. 

Plus, they don't go back to the event they were in when the next sequential summer or winter title happens anyway.

2 hours ago, LukA8 said:

The full roster's already shown in the E3 demo, it's the usual 20 but there's some free space that will likely be used for the Guest button. Kind of funny that the website acts all secretive like it hasn't been the same cast for 5 games. Also, three dream events is a bit of an insult but still better than none, plus something seems to be up with that Retro teaser in the trailer. It would be fun to see the modern cast as Sonic 1 sprites, but somehow I don't see that happening.

Since Rio had 14 guest characters and this one seemingly has 24 events, we could potentially see new faces. Some of the Rio 3DS cast will likely turn up (Dry Bones, Ludwig, Roy, Omega, Nega), but not sure who else would join on the Sonic side if not even Cream made it. Big or Zeena, I guess?

The other selections locked? Would make sense, they aren't ready I suppose

7 minutes ago, Shadowlax said:

I know this, I just meant that I saw silver in the trailer but he wasn't on the website is all

Oh, okay.

33 minutes ago, Dr. Detective Mike said:

This all kind of ignores how, once again, the last game didn't do most of what you're suggesting here. None of the events you listed were in Rio 2016 either. There was swimming but that was it. I don't really see those as notable omissions personally. Besides, the roster of events here is actually far more interesting then it's been in years as far as I'm concerned. I'm not saying this to be down on the game. It's just more plausible to me that this is really it. 

Also, they absolutely do not have to bring back associated events with the bosses. I'm not sure what you're talking about here because they've never done that. Take Omega. In the Winter Olympics he had Speed Skating. In London 2012 he had the 100m Sprint and later the 4x100m Relay. In the 3DS version he was in the Wrestling Free-style event. In Sochi 2014 he was in the Roller Coaster Bobsleigh. And in Rio 2016 3DS he was in the Javelin throw.

Wait, there was a Wrestling even before?

What are you on about? The WiiU version of Rio had Volleyball and BMX, and the 3DS version included multiple swim styles, pole vaulting, trampoline, 1500m, hammer throw.... shoot pretty much every event I listed sans the long jump. They were all in Rio

I responded differently to this part initially, saying that you were right about this but then I re-read what I was responded to and realized that you misunderstood what I was saying. 

I was talking just about the console version which didn't have any of the events you listed at the top.

When it comes to Volleyball and BMX, I wasn't including those in the events that weren't in the console version of Rio 2016. Although I can understand why you thought I was because I said "none of the events you listed" were in the game when I was just referring to the ones you were talking about in the first paragraph. That was my bad.

When you mentioned Volleyball and BMX, you were saying they were near locks because of the associated bosses comment. That's where my doubt was coming in when it came to those. I didn't mean to say that those two weren't in Rio 2016.

My point is that I don't think these events are locks, basically and there aren't any events that should be necessarily expected to appear. 

27 minutes ago, StaticMania said:

Tell everyone they were stupid.
Peach can't beat the Bowser.

It's POWER > Skill, dudes.

Well yeah, it's like challenging a gorilla to an arm--

Oh my goodness, right in the face too!

Missed opportunity not to have Master Zik there, though.

What is Cream wearing?

Eggman on a skateboard, ya'll!

Cream wearing a new outfit is literally and factually the most attention she's gotten creatively in years. 

• Thumbs Up 3

lol, they still insist on not showing Sonic characters feet....despite Official artwork in Sonic Adventure showing them, I mean Big and Tikal already wear sandals as it is..

But yeah, the outfits and even different shoes are a good look

1 hour ago, Detective Kaito said:

Holy crap, Cream is wearing a yukata and it's the cutest thing ever.

1171422324_KarateSurfingSkateboardinginMarioSonicattheTokyo2020OlympicGames(DIRECT-FEED)3-24screenshot.png.f3073cfb7dd3b3586e14facf421f071b.png

Oh, it's supposed to be a kimono-type thing!

I thought she was wearing a Cloaked Nightmare type getup at first.

37 minutes ago, Heckboy said:

D80cPyrWkAEdA0y.jpg

no further comment

Goodness, they almost look like Monkey Ball feet.

1 hour ago, Dr. Detective Mike said:

Cream wearing a new outfit is literally and factually the most attention she's gotten creatively in years. 

It's technically a second instance.

D35nG5VW4AAOGUz.png

• Thumbs Up 2

Regarding the Olympic Events in this game, quite a few wandered over to Sega's other Olympic Videogame that seems to play pretty similarly. I imagine they didn't want too much overlap.

Some of the games, like BMX and Hammerthrow, migrated there.

A few thoughts:

- Skateboarding and Surfing are really fun! Not so much Karate…

- Every sport seems to have a combo and timing meter. Cool! Even the names for the moves in Skateboarding

- Options for buttons, motion controls and gamepad (I think), pretty nice variety.

- Charmy and Cream seem back in the referee role, strange since Cream is dressed in a unique way, but yeah, she's not playable because she's not in the character score screen.

- Roger is back as Sonic as heard in the Surfing gameplay, for those who were questioning it.

- The retro thing… how will it work? I wonder… It's possible it's a replacement for minigames from the first games.

- Dream events are back!! Yes!! I'm sure there are more than 3 but I would be content if that wasn't the case, we have a "Dream Racing". Website says more sports and modes to be announced.

Now, I thought we were gonna have more guests since obviously there are waaaay more events than Rio, but if Cream is not here, maybe… I wonder if those characters are playable in more than 1 event this time, still as guests/playable bosses though.

13 hours ago, StaticMania said:

I love Peach doing a gracefull move laying Bowser onto the mat with a symbolic hit afterwards, while Bowser just bluntly smacks her out of the ring.
Only way to imrpove it if Bowser slaps his opponents into the air, Obelix style.

9 hours ago, Psycho_Jack said:

- Charmy and Cream seem back in the referee role, strange since Cream is dressed in a unique way, but yeah, she's not playable because she's not in the character score screen.

There were some Chao wearing suit tops as well, so I guess they're just dressing up some of the side characters for fun based on the event..

9 hours ago, Psycho_Jack said:

- Roger is back as Sonic as heard in the Surfing gameplay, for those who were questioning it.

Is that supposed to be a signifier?

I have mixed thoughts on the character roster but I’m gonna remain optimistic! 

I’m stating positive about this game! Yes it does seem like the guests are returning just as guests unfortunately but I still enjoyed Rio even with that one major nitpick 

I’m pretty sure it isn’t that hard to put at least 5 or 10 more characters into the roster, just to mix it up a little lol

We already know Zavok is back so it’s safe to assume that Rouge and Rosalina are gonna be back without a doubt as well as many others 

Rosalina would just be in Gymnastics again sadly 

Rouge, idk where they would put her 

Let’s just be patient before we jump to conclusions even with the overwhelming evidence, we’ll know more maybe in July or August

On a minor note: Found out how Luigi and Peach’s surfing outfits are as well as Mario’s equestrian attire! 

87FB78E8-A764-482E-8991-B4FC5B709FEF.jpeg

EC04C8C6-3B5A-4A5A-8751-0F6A236B65B6.jpeg

30BF4465-1DF8-4932-8910-B4F17E798919.jpeg

4276088F-095F-4D6F-A685-18AF2B143D1F.jpeg

I wonder if Sticks will return, thus upgrade her to legit spinoff Sonic character and not merely a promotional tool for when the Sonic Boom TV show was still running.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Roger_van_der_weide said:

I wonder if Sticks will return, thus upgrade her to legit spinoff Sonic character and not merely a promotional tool for when the Sonic Boom TV show was still running.

“For maybe characters that don’t play such an important role to [a] game, we’d be fine with [the partner developer] coming to us with their ideas of who they want to put in the game. But when it comes to key characters – and for us Dodon Pa would be one of those – we really want to make sure that those characters are created in a way that they can exist in the franchise and the universe properly.” Sticks the Badger from Sonic Boom was also specifically cited by Iizuka as one of those key characters developed to have a long-term presence and impact in the Sonic universe.

https://www.sonicstadium.org/2019/05/tss-interview-takashi-iizuka-hints-at-dodon-pas-return-as-master-of-ceremonies/

• Thumbs Up 2

Ah right.
I wonder if they'll bother ever giving her actual context in the games or if she'll be an approperiate inverse version of Boom Shadow who just randomly shows up beacuse "(S)he's popular character.".

• Thumbs Up 1

6 hours ago, Roger_van_der_weide said:

Ah right.
I wonder if they'll bother ever giving her actual context in the games or if she'll be an approperiate inverse version of Boom Shadow who just randomly shows up beacuse "(S)he's popular character.".

Her alleged backstory that was never told could always happen and/or be recounted in the SonicTeam universe.

She has no backstory, but has a background: she lived in the jungle alone since she was a cub, which made her paranoid and is the reason she doesn't trust anyone and that's also why she is old-school.

Anyway, I think the guest characters from the Sonic side may be available in all of the (5? 10?) events in the IPhone & Android game.

4 hours ago, Psycho_Jack said:

She has no backstory, but has a background: she lived in the jungle alone since she was a cub, which made her paranoid and is the reason she doesn't trust anyone and that's also why she is old-school.

Anyway, I think the guest characters from the Sonic side may be available in all of the (5? 10?) events in the IPhone & Android game.

I was referring to how she met Amy and whatnot.

I'm a little surprised by how optimistic I am for this one. Despite going into this knowing that the roster was going to be the same (because that's how they do) there's a nice combination of small things that I'm seeing that are pleasantly surprising me. Just looking over the models to see what the differences in their clothing will be is one tick that I'm going to be indulging in. There's also the fact that there's multiple fighting events in this one.

I had always been looking forward to getting one of these games where boxing was an event but I skipped over Rio because it looked so baron that I knew picking it up would essentially mean spending 60 bucks to play that one mini-game. So much of what I'm seeing is doing a lot for it's presentation, which is a big part of what makes observing the characters as they do their thing more fun than its probably been so far.

On 6/13/2019 at 8:38 AM, Roger_van_der_weide said:

Ah right.

Is that something we need to wonder about at this point? I have a feeling we all know what it's gonna be if she does show up.

"Hey Amy," Says Tails as he stands in Green Hill Zone, "Let's go over to Sticks' house. You know? Sticks. The girl who's our friend and has totally always been our friend all this time and we know her because she's such good friends with us always."