Awoo.

Mario and Sonic at the 2020 Tokyo Olympic Games Announced

tailsBOOM!

Fully expecting this to be Rio 1.5, with the same "special guest" nonsense. I hope they at least bring the Dream events back this time, because they're the heart of the series and without them Rio was somehow even worse than Sochi.

Also it appears the Sonic characters are using the Free Riders shoes. Maybe Storm will make it in this time as well.

Ah, it's back eh? Didn't they skip one at one point?

Either way, great to see this getting another entry! Hopefully, if they can/can't manage it well, they'll only drop or rather demote a few of the more fringey characters from Rio, but add in a few more if possible to keep with the times.

With that said, some like Cream, Zavok, and Pom Pom all feel like they should be features.

Also, is Tokyo known for having different/unique events among the other countries?

• Thumbs Up 1

11 hours ago, tailsBOOM! said:

So, anyone want to make roster predictions?

If we were to get five new characters from each franchise, here's my guesses:

Sonic: Mighty, Ray, Heavy King, Infinite, Dodon Pa

Mario: Pauline, Captain Toad, Dixie Kong, Toadette/Peachette, King Boo

Would Iizuka's annoying lock fetish prevent classic and modern characters appear in the same party game, y'know….except for Sonic himself? If they make Classic Sonic a separate playable character, I'll be super pissed. If he was an alternate skin like with Smash, that wouldn't bother me.

But this does make it likely that Sticks will appear in another game, maybe. With TSR bringing Big back in the spotlight, maybe he'd join the cast, too. I would like to see Charmy be in the roster (As well as Espio.) but I'd imagine he wouldn't be aloud to fly or he'd win the long jump indefinitely...

Captain Toad would be a nice touch, but considering they are wearing new outfits, he'd potentially lose the traits that make him a captain and just look like a regular Toad. Pauline too, she's already taken up tennis after all.

27 minutes ago, DanJ86 said:

Would Iizuka's annoying lock fetish prevent classic and modern characters appear in the same party game, y'know….except for Sonic himself? If they make Classic Sonic a separate playable character, I'll be super pissed. If he was an alternate skin like with Smash, that wouldn't bother me.

But this does make it likely that Sticks will appear in another game, maybe. With TSR bringing Big back in the spotlight, maybe he'd join the cast, too. I would like to see Charmy be in the roster (As well as Espio.) but I'd imagine he wouldn't be aloud to fly or he'd win the long jump indefinitely...

Captain Toad would be a nice touch, but considering they are wearing new outfits, he'd potentially lose the traits that make him a captain and just look like a regular Toad. Pauline too, she's already taken up tennis after all.

Stop blaming Iizuka, he's not responsible for every bad decision in the series, also it's not bad because the modern cast deserves love too, not just Mighty and Ray who got plenty in Mania. They don't need to be in this.

Also, as long as the veterans are in every event I'm okay with guests, because a lot of characters can be included in this way (fingers crossed for my favorite to appear).

I mean, for everyone thinking we won't get Mania characters, we have gotten three characters we've only seen in racing spin-offs, a Bowser without his skin, Nabbit, Sticks without any of the other people from her  universe, and other out there characters.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, tailsBOOM! said:

I mean, for everyone thinking we won't get Mania characters, we have gotten three characters we've only seen in racing spin-offs, a Bowser without his skin, Nabbit, Sticks without any of the other people from her  universe, and other out there characters.

Sticks is the exception because she is partly created by Sonic Team and can fit the Modern series too. I really hope she is back.

Anyway, Team Sonic Racing lack of DLC (confirmed at the stream) killed my dreams for more characters... And now we're back at dreaming roster with this game.

• Thumbs Up 2

Everyone's talking about Sonic's Ridersesque shoes while I can't get over the fact Eggman's shoes are modeled after Sonic's. That's great.

Hmm, no 3ds version huh? So probably no Story mode.
The fact it's mostly Sega publishing and anouncing it with Nintendo themselves barely making a splash about it makes me fear this will be another low budget run.
So I'm not expecting many new songs or Dreamevents.
At least the Skateboarding event looks neat.

And just like Team Sonic racing had a limited roster because of the customization, I'm pretty sure this game will also have a limited cast.
Costs a lot of money to make new outfits for each character for each event. Especially since most of them have diffrent body types, so it's not like they can easily share them around.

But yeah, reaaaaaaalllly don't care about Olympics.
So unless this game has an insane story mode or a high emphasis on action mini games like elaborate racing/ skateboarding/ fighting, I'm sitting this one out again.

And another mobile phone game as well. How many Mobile phone games does Sonic have now? 8? And half of them are  Sonic Dash Clones. Sigh, I really hate it that mobile phone games have replaced the DS/ PSP handheld games. Because Sonic games on these systems were actually, y'know, Games, and not endless variations of the same gambling simulators.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Fist Bump 1

34 minutes ago, Jack the Shadow said:

Stop blaming Iizuka, he's not responsible for every bad decision in the series, also it's not bad because the modern cast deserves love too, not just Mighty and Ray who got plenty in Mania. They don't need to be in this.

Also, as long as the veterans are in every event I'm okay with guests, because a lot of characters can be included in this way (fingers crossed for my favorite to appear).

"Stop blaming Iizuka?" I mentioned the guy once. Don't project your annoyance of Iizuka hate on a guy that doesn't even care about the topic. Beside, I only mentioned it as a hypothetical. In theory, Party games like this should be exempt from that rule. I only say that because of Sticks.

31 minutes ago, tailsBOOM! said:

The Mario series is a lot more creative in it's playable characters, it would be nice if Sega learned from that example. Like, I never would've imagined Chain Chomp being playable in a tennis game.

I know we all have our own favourite Sonic character but wouldn't it be rather cool to perform the high jump as Motobug?

• Thumbs Up 1

One more thing, I'm actually okay if there are less events but well done like in Rio, I loved BMX, Equestrian and Boxing because they were multilayered and not shitty minigames, there were tons of tricks in most events so you would have to learn to master them. So if there are just 15-20 events I'd be cool with it. But they need to be actual events and NOT minigames.

The existence of this gaming is surprising... but also not so. With the Olympics taking place in Tokyo, of course SEGA would capitalize on the sort of national pride that comes from holding an event as big as this.

And what better way to do that than bring two of the biggest gaming icons back together? Especially on a device as popular as the Switch.

Am I hyped? Ehhh, not really. But it's nice to see the series back. Now if only it can give me friggin' amiibo like what I wanted with Rio.

• Thumbs Up 1

I’m kinda surprised I’m one of the only one thinking Sega/Nintendo might want to put a bit more effort in this title with it basically representing both franchises home. Just doesn’t come off to me like they’d just do another lazy rio title. At the very least I expect there to be a lot more love and references in this one, regarding both Tokyo and the franchises represented. And dream events. My dream would be a story with some voice acting, but that’s a pipe dream to the max lol

• Promotion 1

6 hours ago, Operationgamer17 said:

Anyone else surprised this was announced at SEGA Fes and not a Nintendo Direct?

No. An announcement is more fitting at a SEGA event because SEGA is developing it, not to mention it goes hand in hand with the official Olympic Game games, which have no content from Nintendo. 

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, KHCast said:

I’m kinda surprised I’m one of the only one thinking Sega/Nintendo might want to put a bit more effort in this title with it basically representing both franchises home. Just doesn’t come off to me like they’d just do another lazy rio title. At the very least I expect there to be a lot more love and references in this one, regarding both Tokyo and the franchises represented. And dream events. My dream would be a story with some voice acting, but that’s a pipe dream to the max lol

I agree with you.  This is their hometurf, which they're proud of.  They've also had 3 years to work on it, as they got the license back in 2016: http://segabits.com/blog/2016/10/27/sega-confirms-its-making-games-for-2020-summer-olympics/

People aren't thinking they'll put more effort into this one because of all the historical evidence that suggests it's more plausible to believe that they won't.

The concrete roster has been the exact same since the second one of these and that came out in 2009. 10 years ago. A decade later and the most they've done is allow you to play as some of the others in one specific event. So, you can play as Rouge but only in the Beach Volleyball event. Apparently, in the 3DS version, even some of the main 20 characters you couldn't play as in all events, which is even stranger.

Plus, that was in the Rio Olympics, the very last one to come out and also the one that reportedly had the least amount of content in all of them. It had 14 events that are over and done with really quickly. No dream events and no unlockable courses. So that was it. 14 events with the same 20 characters of the last couple games with nothing to unlock. For 60 bucks.

I didn't even get the Rio one because of how little content was in Sochi. I couldn't imagine wasting money on that.

Now, I will say that there's a part of me that thinks Tokyo 2020 won't be quite the empty boneyard this time around. The fact that they're all wearing specific outfits for the first time ever kind of immediately showed me that they're paying a bit more attention to detail in a more significant and kind of cool way. I hope that's not the only thing they changed about this of course.

At the moment, I still think it'll just be those same 20 characters yet again. I've been given no real reason to think otherwise. Team Sonic Racing only managed 15 characters. I also don't know what keeps compelling anyone to say that there's at all a chance for Mania characters to show up in these games. That's not going to happen. It didn't happen in TSR, it's not happening here, and it's not happening in any other spin-off Sonic game where the Modern Sonic cast are the focus. They're not even comfortable with using all of the Modern characters they have for these games. Why would anyone think the Classic/Mania guys have any sort of chance?

Maybe in something like Forces where the point is more to have a special event where Classic Sonic shows up to ruin save the day with his jank 2-D side-scrolling bollocks in my 3-D Sonic game but that was clearly done just to lazily ape Sonic Generations. And it only happened in Sonic Generations because they were specifically trying to celebrate 20 years of Sonic by mixing 2 of the 3 main playstyles Sonic's had over the years.

• Thumbs Up 1

I hope they don't do the character exclusive to a specific event schtick again, it would've been nice to play as Rosalina for badminton, or using Sticks for running races.

Also there's a chance that Pauline could make an appearance in this year's Olympic Games!

...She's going to be a guest player isn't she.

• Thumbs Up 2

10 hours ago, Dr. Detective Mike said:

People aren't thinking they'll put more effort into this one because of all the historical evidence that suggests it's more plausible to believe that they won't.

The concrete roster has been the exact same since the second one of these and that came out in 2009. 10 years ago. A decade later and the most they've done is allow you to play as some of the others in one specific event. So, you can play as Rouge but only in the Beach Volleyball event. Apparently, in the 3DS version, even some of the main 20 characters you couldn't play as in all events, which is even stranger.

Plus, that was in the Rio Olympics, the very last one to come out and also the one that reportedly had the least amount of content in all of them. It had 14 events that are over and done with really quickly. No dream events and no unlockable courses. So that was it. 14 events with the same 20 characters of the last couple games with nothing to unlock. For 60 bucks.

I didn't even get the Rio one because of how little content was in Sochi. I couldn't imagine wasting money on that.

Now, I will say that there's a part of me that thinks Tokyo 2020 won't be quite the empty boneyard this time around. The fact that they're all wearing specific outfits for the first time ever kind of immediately showed me that they're paying a bit more attention to detail in a more significant and kind of cool way. I hope that's not the only thing they changed about this of course.

At the moment, I still think it'll just be those same 20 characters yet again. I've been given no real reason to think otherwise. Team Sonic Racing only managed 15 characters. I also don't know what keeps compelling anyone to say that there's at all a chance for Mania characters to show up in these games. That's not going to happen. It didn't happen in TSR, it's not happening here, and it's not happening in any other spin-off Sonic game where the Modern Sonic cast are the focus. They're not even comfortable with using all of the Modern characters they have for these games. Why would anyone think the Classic/Mania guys have any sort of chance?

Maybe in something like Forces where the point is more to have a special event where Classic Sonic shows up to ruin save the day with his jank 2-D side-scrolling bollocks in my 3-D Sonic game but that was clearly done just to lazily ape Sonic Generations. And it only happened in Sonic Generations because they were specifically trying to celebrate 20 years of Sonic by mixing 2 of the 3 main playstyles Sonic's had over the years.

Rio was actually very good, the events themselves were not stupid simple mini-games but had tons of tricks to master them, for example BMX, and boxing and football, even Rugby. I really loved the effort put into it, I spent way too many hours into that game. Plus I loved the Rio beach hubworld, you could interact with the characters and players from around the world. If there is one thing I didn't like it was the focus on Miis and boring Mii tournaments, but the Mario vs Sonic elimination mode was awesome.

Sadly I don't expect those things to be back here, the little footage we've seen only proves that the events are still solid and complex, so that's good but I don't expect the hubworld and Mario vs Sonic again. 

But I'm still on the "less events with effort put into them" team, rather than tons of shitty events. Still, I want some Dream events because they are so arcade and fun.

The guests are likely coming back, and that is a probably a good thing, bosses were a thing since the Vancouver Olympics, so… it's a tradition and a fun feature, the fact that you get to play as them in that event only makes it a nice extra IMO.

I know there are some new characters who deserve to be in all events, like Rosalina, Diddy Kong, Espio and Rouge for example, but maybe it's too much to program? I think so, 30+ characters in over 20 events is probably a lot, it really depends on how much time they spent working on the game. Realistically, I would NOT expect that.

• Thumbs Up 1

This is the last thing they really "need" to do.

More of this:

More special victory animations and none reused animations. Apart from every character being pretty speed accurate during the track events, this is the most positive parts of these games.

And in non-traditional wear most likely.

• Thumbs Up 1

56 minutes ago, StaticMania said:

This is the last thing they really "need" to do.

More of this:

More special victory animations and none reused animations. Apart from every character being pretty speed accurate during the track events, this is the most positive parts of these games.

And in non-traditional wear most likely.

Yeah, I remember cycling through that a few times.

It is a bit of a shame pairs like Peach&Bowser, Sonic&Knuckles, and Zavok&Zazz didn't get one.

With that said, I have never seen that Blaze and Rouge one. 😮 

12 hours ago, Fusion-Ellipsis said:

I hope they don't do the character exclusive to a specific event schtick again, it would've been nice to play as Rosalina for badminton, or using Sticks for running races.

Also there's a chance that Pauline could make an appearance in this year's Olympic Games!

...She's going to be a guest player isn't she.

There are so many spaces here that I thought there was a video that was refusing to load.

7 hours ago, Jack the Shadow said:

Rio was actually very good, the events themselves were not stupid simple mini-games but had tons of tricks to master them, for example BMX, and boxing and football, even Rugby. I really loved the effort put into it, I spent way too many hours into that game. Plus I loved the Rio beach hubworld, you could interact with the characters and players from around the world. If there is one thing I didn't like it was the focus on Miis and boring Mii tournaments, but the Mario vs Sonic elimination mode was awesome.

Sadly I don't expect those things to be back here, the little footage we've seen only proves that the events are still solid and complex, so that's good but I don't expect the hubworld and Mario vs Sonic again. 

But I'm still on the "less events with effort put into them" team, rather than tons of shitty events. Still, I want some Dream events because they are so arcade and fun.

I mean, it's great that you thought so, but the footage I watched didn't illustrate that at all. The only real thing of interest to me was the Boxing game and that was because I wanted to punch the shit out of my favorite Sonic characters. As a fan of slapstick, I find that alluring as hell. However, there's no way I can justify spending 60 bucks on a game with only 14 events and no Dream Events. I'd only get that Boxing game and a cute little hubworld out of it that doesn't go past what looks like to be a single beach in Rio. As someone who doesn't play games with people around the world in the best of times, having a significant amount of content out of the game is important. I also heard about the strange overabundant focus on Miis, which is another thing I don't care much for.

I've never had any interest in playing as caricatures of myself in any game. Sonic's cast of characters are far more interesting and cool than I am. 

I also don't see what about the little footage we've seen proves that the events are solid and complex. Not that I necessarily want or need them to be complex. I'd be perfectly okay if they were simple, I just need more assurance that it'll be a good use of my spending money. It's even more important since this'll be a Nintendo exclusive and they never lower their prices. Ever.

Rio 2016 is still 60 bucks and that's ridiculous to me.

I'm not on any "team" when it comes to the number of events. I expect there to be a good number of well done events. That's what the games before Sochi did. That's what regular party games worth their salt should do. It's not typically normal for good games to choose between quantity and quality. People should reasonably expect there to be a good balance of both.

7 hours ago, Jack the Shadow said:

The guests are likely coming back, and that is a probably a good thing, bosses were a thing since the Vancouver Olympics, so… it's a tradition and a fun feature, the fact that you get to play as them in that event only makes it a nice extra IMO.

I know there are some new characters who deserve to be in all events, like Rosalina, Diddy Kong, Espio and Rouge for example, but maybe it's too much to program? I think so, 30+ characters in over 20 events is probably a lot, it really depends on how much time they spent working on the game. Realistically, I would NOT expect that.

I never said the guests aren't coming back as bosses. I never said a word about the bosses. I know they're coming back.  I was referring to the roster of playable characters.

"Too much to program" is a lame and dumb excuse. If they had been smart and drip-fed more characters into these games with each new installment there would be less to worry about. You know how much they love tweaking and reusing assets. It's not even like the events change all that much from game to game. Some characters could even copy others if necessary. I can't really see much justification for the roster being the way it is for over 10 years. 

I'll grant you that it'd be a much harder thing to do for all events than something like Team Sonic Racing where they're all just driving cars. That makes it's significantly less impressive roster stand out even more but I'm sure people are going to say customization took up all their time and money or whatever. 

It's really hard for me to be complacent and understanding about all this. Again, it's not even like I'm mad or upset here. I'm just speaking what I believe to be the truth based on how they tend to dick around with games like these. Compared to other party games (and other racers) they're just not offering a lot. People can say it takes too much work or money or whatever but the consumer in me is really just seeing something of less quality than some of the other party games and racers out there. How broke are SEGA that they can't churn out something with more content and keep the quality good?

I have a theory, the game could've been in development back in late 2016/early 2017 when SEGA announced that they got the Tokyo 2020 Games licence. So they could've reused some assets from Rio 2016 with some new assets alongside porting and overhauling the game engine to make it work on the Switch.

So, the game, that was in development for over 3 years, could be the best looking Olympics game on the Switch.

I agree and I said that Rio didn't offer much, but still had great events for me, I want to see more of that, fun events (including Dream ones) even if not many. Maybe lower the price while you are at it, SEGA. After TSR, I'm really not expecting tons of content here… but it's not stopping me from dreaming.

It's kinda funny they didn't do the Winter Olympics but they are doing the regular Olympics...maybe the Olympic Games just make that much more money.  I guess we do get two Sonic games this year(though I suppose you could count this as a Mario game too lol).  I was wondering what they were going to do to fill in the gap for 2019 should Team Sonic Racing have released back in November 2018.  I like the fact that the Switch version will be both the console and handheld version and we'll get all events this time with all characters (hopefully).  As long as Blaze is in, I'm happy.  Heck, maybe Infinite will be playable this time(probably wishful thinking given Team Sonic Racing and the pushing of Zavoc..).

33 minutes ago, SatAMhog said:

It's kinda funny they didn't do the Winter Olympics but they are doing the regular Olympics...maybe the Olympic Games just make that much more money.  I guess we do get two Sonic games this year(though I suppose you could count this as a Mario game too lol).  I was wondering what they were going to do to fill in the gap for 2019 should Team Sonic Racing have released back in November 2018.  I like the fact that the Switch version will be both the console and handheld version and we'll get all events this time with all characters (hopefully).  As long as Blaze is in, I'm happy.  Heck, maybe Infinite will be playable this time(probably wishful thinking given Team Sonic Racing and the pushing of Zavoc..).

Sega doesn't own the Winter Olympics license anymore. Ubisoft owns that now and that's why Steep exists.https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwihiu7Fpa3hAhVChuAKHT-YBbYQFjAAegQIABAB&url=https%3A%2F%2Fsteep.ubisoft.com%2Fgame%2Fen-us%2Fhome%2F&usg=AOvVaw2SvjGPyS8kuUdpykEVXI0T