Awoo.

Mario and Sonic at the 2020 Tokyo Olympic Games Announced

tailsBOOM!

4 hours ago, DabigRG said:

Also, Infinite is likely never showing up again for similar reasons as Mephiles.

What similar reasons?

I thought Infinite vanished, while Mephiles basically never existed due to time travel schenanigans because Sonic and Elise blew out his flame.

The narrative never discloses exactly what happened to Infinite. Similar to Eggman in the same game, (and the Zeti in Lost World) he just disappears after he's beaten because closure isn't important so long as the boss got its ass kicked, I guess.

I still don't expect to see Infinite again anytime soon. At the very least he's not considered to be a priority. They would have pushed him (and Forces) more right out of the gate during the lead up to Team Sonic Racing if they felt there was some merit to him but Forces and everything in it just got left behind after the game came out. Since its release in 2017 they haven't really acknowledged it much outside of them allowing the IDW comics to start where it left off.  

This is the exact opposite of Mania which they're clearly super proud of. They keep boasting about how highly reviewed it was and who can blame them. So it stands to reason that Forces' middling to negative reception puts it in the "forgotten" pile with shit like Shadow's game and Free Riders. There it will only be passively acknowledged when they reuse some of its music tracks and that'll be it. 

I will agree that he has more of a chance than Mephiles though. 

However, I'm still in the camp that expects it to be the same roster it's been since 2009.

6 hours ago, DabigRG said:

No, keep Tangle in the IDW comics please. 

Also, Infinite is likely never showing up again for similar reasons as Mephiles.

Why should she not pull a Sticks?

1 hour ago, Miragnarok said:

I don't know about what they should do, but I know a little about what they will do.

Sticks was a character created from a (misguided) multi-media push with Sonic Boom. Out of nowhere, they were introducing this new branch of Sonic where not only was it starting as a TV show but right out of the gate it was getting its own tie-in games for both the Wii-U and the 3DS, a comic book of its OWN, a toy-line, and tons of merch to follow. Instead of making a TV show and leaving it at that until things naturally led to more tie-ins and merch, they just exploded out of the gate like a hillbilly who just won the lottery and wastes all his money.

Comics seem to be viewed as more of a promotional tool for something they consider more "official" to them. Sonic Boom was the "official" new hottness, the Sonic Boom comic was it's promotional tool. At least that's what it feels like. They don't promote the IDW comic much on their Twitter. They do on the Youtube streams but those scramble to promote literally whatever they can anyway. 

• Thumbs Up 1

I agree with Mike, it's just the reason I bring it up really is simply that IDW Sonic is so new, and such a different beast from Archie, I can't help but wonder if it is uncharted territory. It doesn't make it likely, but it does make it feel significantly more possible than an Archie OC turning up would of.

4 hours ago, Silvereyes said:

I thought Infinite vanished, while Mephiles basically never existed due to time travel schenanigans because Sonic and Elise blew out his flame.

Accurately speaking, he was forcibly recalled by Eggman after failing to defeat Sonic and Buddy again after the Sun Plan was cancelled out. Considering the Mega Death Egg Robot was being powered by the over clocked Phantom Ruby, which was previously embedded in Infinite, well....

3 hours ago, Miragnarok said:

Oh, there's probably a number of reasons. 

But right now, because she is explicitly an IDW comic thing, with SEGA only giving extra feedback on what animal she shouldn't be. 

Weird that it’s not in their new sports attire but maybe this is just for the medals and then we’ll get artwork in their sports outfits! 

Man, Tuesday could not come faster! 

7CAE1678-017E-4FB8-89C1-CF137BFB77F3.jpeg

• Thumbs Up 1

They aren't ashamed to bring back Zavok, who had a similarly inconclusive fate to Infinite in a game which did not sell that well.  But Sonic Team seem to regard Zavok as some kind of contextless monster who can be wheeled out whenever they want, so there is a slight difference to Infinite.  Zavok literally tried to kill Eggman, but I guess that's water under the bridge; whereas Infinite raises questions about the Phantom Ruby if you bring him back, so they would have to actually think about it (and we can't have that).

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, FFWF said:

They aren't ashamed to bring back Zavok, who had a similarly inconclusive fate to Infinite in a game which did not sell that well.  But Sonic Team seem to regard Zavok as some kind of contextless monster who can be wheeled out whenever they want, so there is a slight difference to Infinite.  Zavok literally tried to kill Eggman, but I guess that's water under the bridge; whereas Infinite raises questions about the Phantom Ruby if you bring him back, so they would have to actually think about it (and we can't have that).

It's worth noting that, with the link I posted and both of our points about the Phantom Ruby, Zavok is easier to have around than Infinite. Or just about any other Dreamcast & Modern era villain, for that matter. 

He and the other Zeti are relatively compact in terms of size & threat, in addition to being sequestered off in their own location to excuse their absences. And at least he and Zazz are explicitly characterized as attacking whenever they feel like it, which opens room for when they do show up.

His enmity with Eggman is an issue with how he's been used since, though.

• Thumbs Up 1

8 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

It's worth noting that, with the link I posted and both of our points about the Phantom Ruby, Zavok is easier to have around than Infinite. Or just about any other Dreamcast & Modern era villain, for that matter. 

He and the other Zeti are relatively compact in terms of size & threat, in addition to being sequestered off in their own location to excuse their absences. And at least he and Zazz are explicitly characterized as attacking whenever they feel like it, which opens room for when they do show up.

His enmity with Eggman is an issue with how he's been used since, though.

Well, not in their first appearance, but that was an issue of the writers not being used to villains on a compact scale as opposed to ultra-destructive nightmares. Though one can say that their destructiveness was unusual and spurned by the Extractor, but it's still their first appearance and their first impressions, which mean a lot. I agree that Zavok's use as a no-context thug is annoying, but what can I do?

1 hour ago, Miragnarok said:

Well, not in their first appearance, but that was an issue of the writers not being used to villains on a compact scale as opposed to ultra-destructive nightmares. Though one can say that their destructiveness was unusual and spurned by the Extractor, but it's still their first appearance and their first impressions, which mean a lot. I agree that Zavok's use as a no-context thug is annoying, but what can I do?

Which is an odd prospect considering Misters Pontac and Graff came up with the actual story, loosely based on what SEGA provided them about the Deadly Six. By that token, I'm still not sure who came up with the Extractor.

Being called Eggman-wannabes actually sorta makes sense in that they seemed to want them to be quirky villains who threaten Sonic's World egocentric reasons before getting their asses kicked. In the context of Lost World's plot, they were vengeful assholes who hijacked Eggman's shit beyond what he was intending to do, only for the story proper to ultimately chase them off like six nuisances after building them up as sadistic world destroyers. It's weirdly muddled overall.

Zavok is biggest representation of that overall since he is both the leader and the one they seemed to wanna focus on the most even then. He inherently seems like a more dangerous villain in a more grounded way, being calculating out of battle yet fierce when he does join the fray. You would think he'd be looking for ways to undermine the other character as he gets involved or strategically sending out his brothers . But they almost never use him for that in subsequent, instead just having him be a bad guy that just shows up to things and doesn't really do much to ramp it up. And as the most recent testament to that, Team Sonic Racing is bizarre in just how minimally it utilizes him both as a character and as a villain.

• Fist Bump 1

7 hours ago, DabigRG said:

Which is an odd prospect considering Misters Pontac and Graff came up with the actual story, loosely based on what SEGA provided them about the Deadly Six. By that token, I'm still not sure who came up with the Extractor.

Being called Eggman-wannabes actually sorta makes sense in that they seemed to want them to be quirky villains who threaten Sonic's World egocentric reasons before getting their asses kicked. In the context of Lost World's plot, they were vengeful assholes who hijacked Eggman's shit beyond what he was intending to do, only for the story proper to ultimately chase them off like six nuisances after building them up as sadistic world destroyers. It's weirdly muddled overall.

Zavok is biggest representation of that overall since he is both the leader and the one they seemed to wanna focus on the most even then. He inherently seems like a more dangerous villain in a more grounded way, being calculating out of battle yet fierce when he does join the fray. You would think he'd be looking for ways to undermine the other character as he gets involved or strategically sending out his brothers . But they almost never use him for that in subsequent, instead just having him be a bad guy that just shows up to things and doesn't really do much to ramp it up. And as the most recent testament to that, Team Sonic Racing is bizarre in just how minimally it utilizes him both as a character and as a villain.

I’m pretty sure the basic outline was by Japanese authors who were used to the usual sadistic world-wrecking villains as opposed to what the D6 were designed to be. That’s why it came off as weird.

23 minutes ago, Miragnarok said:

I’m pretty sure the basic outline was by Japanese authors who were used to the usual sadistic world-wrecking villains as opposed to what the D6 were designed to be. That’s why it came off as weird.

Oh, perhaps.

Talk about contradicting yourself, eh Infinite?

• Thumbs Up 1

47 minutes ago, Champion Ellipsis-Ultima said:

So there's a mobile game coming called Sonic at the 2020 Tokyo games and here's some screens via link- 

https://gonintendo.com/stories/337255-sonic-at-the-olympic-games-tokyo-2020-first-screens-revealed

Phew. Zavok confirmed. I was worried everyone's favourite character wouldn't be in the game.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Chuckle 1

44 minutes ago, Blue Blood said:

Phew. Zavok confirmed. I was worried everyone's favourite character wouldn't be in the game.

Don't disrespect Papa Zavok.

He's also British now based on that screen.

• Chuckle 1

I don't know who at Sega adores Zavok this much but I applaud them for still pushing him in 2019 

• Chuckle 1

That moment when Zavok is the first confirmed character (not including the 10 veterans from the Sonic cast). But I'm… really, really okay with this.

Wait… the IOS version is coming Spring 2020, and the Switch game? Probably around that date. 

Admist all the Smash Ultimate hype, we got a trailer for this game.

They added Surfing, Skateboarding and Karate, and it looks like we can play Winter events too.

Also, NEW OUTFITS

• Thumbs Up 2