Awoo.

Mario and Sonic at the 2020 Tokyo Olympic Games Announced

tailsBOOM!

The official website updated, but I picked out the only screenshot worth seeing...

https://www.olympicvideogames.com/marioandsonic/

Feestyle.thumb.JPG.e40b214b2790af6c7ae5ba557411a427.JPG

The different outfits depending on event are a really nice touch, and the new events look fun, but otherwise it's rather lacklustre as expected. Dream events are nowhere to be seen, Cream and Charmy are both referees again (so much for the "tremendous" cast) and Zavok was the only guest character shown, in the exact same event he had in Rio 2016. I'm sure the guest/boss characters will have some new additions revealed in the future, but there seems to be a lot of recycling going on. Hopefully events like football will be available online this time.

This looked a lot fresher and cooler than these Olympic Games have looked since... probably ever, honestly. I enjoyed the London game but the little touches shown in this trailer do actually go a long way.

Cute Tails in his cute little gi, beating up Peach. Its fascinating to look at.

Also, shirtless Eggman...

Not surprised at all that Charmy's still a ref. I still anticipate the roster's not seeing a change because that's how they do. Keep it in mind and you'll be far less disappointed. 

Also, you'll be genuinely and happily surprised if it ever does happen.

• Thumbs Up 2

Here’s a link to the gameplay trailer! 

In the trailer it reveals more events, returning characters some kind of retro mode and more new outfits for the cast! 

It’s slated to be released in November! 

Still not confirmed if we’re getting any more new characters yet, we’ll find out more as E3 rolls around 

https://youtu.be/Fe-cTdeuecI

72ACD0BC-D857-4EB2-971F-A5F2037DD13E.jpeg

54087846-DE26-427F-B705-E7562CB8734C.jpeg

I'm not gonna lie, the Sonic characters look great. These shoes and outfits really feel fresh.

D8y1vACXUAMDiKN.png

330688417_MarioSonicattheOlympicGamesTokyo2020-NintendoSwitchTrailer-NintendoE320190-25screenshot.thumb.png.9843325a4df0c3e0e172a244343a37a7.png

Mario__Sonic_at_the_Tokyo_2020_Olympic_G

D8zUpseXYAACtWK.png

Also, GET A LOAD OF THIS

Feestyle.JPG.1236f0a449ca849af11b817320c

I can't believe they actually gave Eggman nipples.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • My Emmerdoods 2

5 hours ago, Blue Blood said:

Phew. Zavok confirmed. I was worried everyone's favourite character wouldn't be in the game.

4 hours ago, Psycho_Jack said:

That moment when Zavok is the first confirmed character (not including the 10 veterans from the Sonic cast). But I'm… really, really okay with this.

4 hours ago, Soniman said:

I don't know who at Sega adores Zavok this much but I applaud them for still pushing him in 2019 

Oh man, really?

Eh, to be fair, this is like one of the few instances where he'd actually fit in.

4 hours ago, Badnik Mechanic said:

Don't disrespect Papa Zavok.

He's also British now based on that screen.

Oh really? The irony.

Well, he is fairly eloquent.

2 hours ago, Champion Ellipsis-Ultima said:

Admist all the Smash Ultimate hype, we got a trailer for this game.

They added Surfing, Skateboarding and Karate, and it looks like we can play Winter events too.

Also, NEW OUTFITS

Smash Ultimate hype?

If this isn't an opportunity to use characters like the Babylon Rogues and [Insert Karate Character Here], I don't know what is.

Nice music, btw.

20 minutes ago, Detective Kaito said:

I'm not gonna lie, the Sonic characters look great. These shoes and outfits really feel fresh.

D8y1vACXUAMDiKN.png

330688417_MarioSonicattheOlympicGamesTokyo2020-NintendoSwitchTrailer-NintendoE320190-25screenshot.thumb.png.9843325a4df0c3e0e172a244343a37a7.png

Mario__Sonic_at_the_Tokyo_2020_Olympic_G

D8zUpseXYAACtWK.png

Also, GET A LOAD OF THIS

any other screenies?

2 hours ago, LukA8 said:

The official website updated, but I picked out the only screenshot worth seeing...

https://www.olympicvideogames.com/marioandsonic/

Feestyle.thumb.JPG.e40b214b2790af6c7ae5ba557411a427.JPG

The different outfits depending on event are a really nice touch, and the new events look fun, but otherwise it's rather lacklustre as expected. Dream events are nowhere to be seen, Cream and Charmy are both referees again (so much for the "tremendous" cast) and Zavok was the only guest character shown, in the exact same event he had in Rio 2016. I'm sure the guest/boss characters will have some new additions revealed in the future, but there seems to be a lot of recycling going on. Hopefully events like football will be available online this time.

Yeah, I was hoping this was the Rabbi's chance to get in on the events.

2 hours ago, Champion Ellipsis-Ultima said:

tumblr_psy59mbG4g1udzlioo1_250.png tumblr_psy59mbG4g1udzlioo2_250.png

EVEN THE CHAO ARE WEARING SHIRTS HNNNGH

Okay, that's cute.

1 hour ago, Dr. Detective Mike said:

Also, shirtless Eggman...

20 minutes ago, Detective Kaito said:

Also, GET A LOAD OF THIS

Yeah, Ikr?.

Does he have blob feet, or are his toes just difficult to see because of the distance?

oh huh, the full roster isn't on the site? Like I see silver in the game and I was hoping for sticks or other weird choices or if infinite will show up. Oh well, we will have to wait untill next time

17 minutes ago, Your Vest Friend said:

Eggman's blob feet tho

14 minutes ago, Ernest the Panda said:

Does he have blob feet, or are his toes just difficult to see because of the distance?

Holy shit, I didn't even notice that!

14 minutes ago, Shadowlax said:

oh huh, the full roster isn't on the site? Like I see silver in the game and I was hoping for sticks or other weird choices or if infinite will show up. Oh well, we will have to wait untill next time

Silver's been in since the first Winter Olympics alongside DK, BJ, and Metal.

Sticks is another I'd like to see back too, though.

I’m pretty sure we’re getting Pauline and K. Rool bosses, but not so much on the Sonic side given how conservative TSR is. 

The full roster's already shown in the E3 demo, it's the usual 20 but there's some free space that will likely be used for the Guest button. Kind of funny that the website acts all secretive like it hasn't been the same cast for 5 games. Also, three dream events is a bit of an insult but still better than none, plus something seems to be up with that Retro teaser in the trailer. It would be fun to see the modern cast as Sonic 1 sprites, but somehow I don't see that happening.

Since Rio had 14 guest characters and this one seemingly has 24 events, we could potentially see new faces. Some of the Rio 3DS cast will likely turn up (Dry Bones, Ludwig, Roy, Omega, Nega), but not sure who else would join on the Sonic side if not even Cream made it. Big or Zeena, I guess?

That trailer actually looked like... honest effort?! At least for this series.

We already knew they were going the extra mile on the characters clothing, but seeing that in action between the different events is very nice. The collection of events continues to expand, and this game will continue to grow.  The archery character select screens show that they have done away with the last games least popular and most baffling decision.

Things are trending up.

2 hours ago, StellarBlur said:

I'm sure there's more than just 3 dream events. I hope we get Dream Soccer and Surfing.

Doesn't look like there's any space on that screen shot for more. Considering the last console Olympics game didn't have any Dream Events at all, I have no trouble believing there's only 3. It's interesting looking up the first 3 Olympic games because those had a ton of them.

However, what those games didn't have, was Boxing and Karate! Hell yes! 

That old Rio 2016 one is officially obsolete now. Boxing was the only thing that interested me about that game and this one has Boxing, Karate, and Dream Karate. I'm glad I never got that one.

It looks as though the regular boring events have gotten a nice overhaul and the characters have been given some neat touches to help make it feel like they're actually at the Olympics this time around. However, that's probably as far as they went. I really don't think anyone should expect anything more past that. 

5 minutes ago, Dr. Detective Mike said:

Doesn't look like there's any space on that screen shot for more.

That screen is likely a placeholder though.

Just by combing through the regular events, there are some notable omissions. Things like the 1500m Dash and Hammer throw (which would use the same controls as 100m dash / Discus throw) are no-brainer omissions. And then you can just run down the list of events that aren't here, but would likely make the cut to pad out the game counts. Trampoline, long jump, different swimming styles - heck the back catalog is loaded with events primed to make a return like pole vaulting.

Also, if your going to recycle the same set of guests/bosses (like we all expect them too), then you almost have to bring back their associated events too. Volleyball and BMX are near locks.

In the same light, I would expect the dream events to mirror the regular events that are included. I'd be shocked if they removed dream football - as they've done it before. And if your bring in a sport like Volleyball then you can bring back its dream event too.

This may actually be the most exciting part of the game. There's a mystery ??? toggle on the event selection screen with Classic Mario and Sonic, so seemingly there will be "1964" events for when the Olympics were last held in Tokyo. Knowing Sega this will only feature the classic cast even though none of them existed that year, but that's pretty much the whole Mario cast except for Jr, Waluigi and Daisy..it would be fun to see them come up with "classic" sprites for characters like Blaze, but doubtful since even the Chao are excluded from the audience.

1964.JPG

2 hours ago, Miragnarok said:

I’m pretty sure we’re getting Pauline and K. Rool bosses, but not so much on the Sonic side given how conservative TSR is. 

Eh, probably Espio, Storm, or another Zeti.

I wouldn't take TSR too-too solemnly as an indicator. That game also had a key element that set it apart and required them to pair up characters to fit it. Even if a few of those characters were clearly picked for somewhat shaky reasoning out of universe.

2 hours ago, LukA8 said:

The full roster's already shown in the E3 demo, it's the usual 20 but there's some free space that will likely be used for the Guest button. Kind of funny that the website acts all secretive like it hasn't been the same cast for 5 games. Also, three dream events is a bit of an insult but still better than none, plus something seems to be up with that Retro teaser in the trailer. It would be fun to see the modern cast as Sonic 1 sprites, but somehow I don't see that happening.

Since Rio had 14 guest characters and this one seemingly has 24 events, we could potentially see new faces. Some of the Rio 3DS cast will likely turn up (Dry Bones, Ludwig, Roy, Omega, Nega), but not sure who else would join on the Sonic side if not even Cream made it. Big or Zeena, I guess?

That would be cool and I wondering about that myself.

2 hours ago, StellarBlur said:

I'm sure there's more than just 3 dream events. I hope we get Dream Soccer and Surfing.

Yeah, that seems like a weird number, not to mention low.

44 minutes ago, Sega DogTagz said:

The archery character select screens show that they have done away with the last games least popular and most baffling decision.

And that was?

9 minutes ago, Sega DogTagz said:

Just by combing through the regular events, there are some notable omissions. Things like the 1500m Dash and Hammer throw (which would use the same controls as 100m dash / Discus throw) are no-brainer omissions. And then you can just run down the list of events that aren't here, but would likely make the cut to pad out the game counts. Trampoline, long jump, different swimming styles - heck the back catalog is loaded with events primed to make a return like pole vaulting.

Also, if your going to recycle the same set of guests/bosses (like we all expect them too), then you almost have to bring back their associated events too. Volleyball and BMX are near locks.

In the same light, I would expect the dream events to mirror the regular events that are included. I'd be shocked if they removed dream football - as they've done it before. And if your bring in a sport like Volleyball then you can bring back its dream event too.

Hammer throw was on the first link near Zavok.

18 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

And that was?

Some of the previous games, including 3DS london, limited the characters you could use in each event. There was something like 4 or 5 choices for each, with only Sonic and Mario themselves capable of competing in everything.

everyone complained about it.

1 minute ago, Sega DogTagz said:

Some of the previous games, including 3DS london, limited the characters you could use in each event. There was something like 4 or 5 choices for each, with only Sonic and Mario themselves capable of competing in everything.

everyone complained about it.

Oh yeah, I remember hearing that. Or seeing that, in London's case.

1 hour ago, Sega DogTagz said:

This all kind of ignores how, once again, the last game didn't do most of what you're suggesting here. None of the events you listed were in Rio 2016 either. There was swimming but that was it. I don't really see those as notable omissions personally. Besides, the roster of events here is actually far more interesting then it's been in years as far as I'm concerned. I'm not saying this to be down on the game. It's just more plausible to me that this is really it. 

Also, they absolutely do not have to bring back associated events with the bosses. I'm not sure what you're talking about here because they've never done that. Take Omega. In the Winter Olympics he had Speed Skating. In London 2012 he had the 100m Sprint and later the 4x100m Relay. In the 3DS version he was in the Wrestling Free-style event. In Sochi 2014 he was in the Roller Coaster Bobsleigh. And in Rio 2016 3DS he was in the Javelin throw.

Then there's Rouge who was figure skating in one game, 110 Hurdles the next, Beach volleyball and also Golf... 

They don't have associated events. They're just put in whatever event the creators feel like putting them in. I don't have a clue as to why any event would be a lock. Some of them make it and some of them get cut. That always happens. 

I also don't ever expect the Dream Events to mirror the regular events. The last two games didn't do that. Sochi had 8 of them, which is a nice number and one I'd personally find acceptable but it wasn't an exact mirror of the regular events that game had. The console version of Rio 2016 didn't have any. I'm not surprised that coming off of that, this one would only have 3. 

This all said, it's plausible there might be more buried under the hood. However, I've very much learned to take things at face value when it comes to anything Sonic. I'm certain this is it.

10 minutes ago, Dr. Detective Mike said:

This all kind of ignores how, once again, the last game didn't do most of what you're suggesting here. None of the events you listed were in Rio 2016 either. There was swimming but that was it.

What are you on about? The WiiU version of Rio had Volleyball and BMX, and the 3DS version included multiple swim styles, pole vaulting, trampoline, 1500m, hammer throw.... shoot pretty much every event I listed sans the long jump. They were all in Rio

I don't really see those as notable omissions personally. Besides, the roster of events here is actually far more interesting then it's been in years as far as I'm concerned. I'm not saying this to be down on the game. It's just more plausible to me that this is really it. 

Most of the usual trash events I'd agree with. But I'll eat my fist if they were to leave out some of the longer, more involved sports like volleyball. Its one of the few games with a playtime long enough to consider online multiplayer viable - which is a selling point for this go around too.

Also, they absolutely do not have to bring back the associated events with the bosses. I'm not sure what you're talking about here because they've never done that. Take Omega. In the Winter Olympics he had Speed Skating. In London 2012 he had the 100m Sprint and later the 4x100m Relay. In the 3DS version he was in the Wrestling Free-style event. In Sochi 2014 he was in the Roller Coaster Bobsleigh. And in Rio 2016 3DS he was in the Javelin throw.

Then there's Rouge who was figure skating in one game, 110 Hurdles the next, Beach volleyball and also Golf... 

Fair enough, point taken... But just to nitpick, but you cant use the winter/summer split to bolster that argument. Kinda hard for Omega to be exclusive to the 100m dash when the winter olympics don't have one lol.