Awoo.

Try and Predict What the Next Main Sonic Game Will Be Like

Detective Kaito

Of course none of us can predict what Sonic Team will do next, but I think it would be fun to attempt it.

For example, what gameplay style will they use? How many gameplay styles? How many playable characters? Will it be set in Sonic Forces' world? Do you think Morio Kishimoto will be the director for the next main Sonic game? (dear god please no)

In my opinion, I think Sonic Team will stick with the boost. They will essentially make "Sonic Colors 2" where Sonic is the only playable character and there's a much bigger focus on blocky platforming, oh and wisps. Maybe they'll come up with a new gimmick to sell the game on or something.

Woo boy, what a mess they've painted themselves into to.

Honestly, making the next released game something like Team Sonic Racing was a smart move because boy was Forces a conceptual mistake. We quite honestly need something of a low profile and making it a spinoff doubles that.

Honestly, they should probably do something between Lost World(Greater Control, adventurous, half and half tone) and Heroes(more than one playable character, semi-distinct stage gimmicks, varied music) for the next mainline game. Something that's self-contained, moderately distinct, and most importantly, as different from Forces as possible.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Fist Bump 1

Also seconded on it being bad. But that's a pretty typical kinda guess for Sonic. Next game will be another pandering mess that tries to appeal to fans without actually knowing about why such aspects are appealing in the first place I assume. Same shit different year 

Sonic Adventure 3, but it's a boost game, and both Classic and Boom Sonic are there.

Or maybe they'll actually learn something from Mania's success and their repeated failures, go back to basics and focus on making an actually fun game instead of continuing to rely on the same shallow gimmicks.

• Thumbs Up 4
  • Promotion 1
  • Chuckle 1

Unless they have a significant staff change, I have no reason to believe anything will be different.

Whatever they do, they'll probably half ass it as usual and it will still sell regardless because its Sonic. 

We'll get a bunch of new members opening topics on how "amazing" it looks and call the older members "haters" and older members will lash out even though they should be used to this by now. Sean or somebody will close the topic for a few days then reopen it.

So yea, same shit, different year.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Chuckle 3
  • Too Many Rings 2

I used to be rather pessimistic when thinking about the next game but, recently, we've started to see changes in how the Sonic brand is handled. I'm actually expecting a better game than Forces but I have no clue in what direction they'll go.

• Thumbs Up 3

I actually see Sonic Team is redoing what they've done since 2011.

Like, we had Sonic Generations in 2011 and then Sonic & All Stars Racing Transformed in 2012. We had Sonic Forces in 2017 and now we're going to have Team Sonic Racing.

Following that logic the next game would be "Sonic Lost World 2", but assuming the mediocre critic of the game, it may not sound too obvious something exactly similar. Maybe reuse the Wisp idea (As it seems something obligatory in newer Sonic games, not just in Colors as we initially thought), and improve the boost idea (Not so used in Lost World). So yeah, something in the likes of "Colors 2". I just really hope this game don't be the 30th anniversary game, I think would be way more enjoyable if just Sonic Mania became the 25th birthday game and Sonic Forces got delayed a few more months or even a year to a whole new Sonic adventure and didn't had anything with the classics.

By then, assuming the success of Mania, a sequel/related game seems very obvious, or having a parallel classic series done by the same guys. In the hardest of the possibilities a game like Sonic Mania but with the Adventure era. Likely a new Sonic mobile game will be released soon.

Before the announcement; I thought there wouldn’t be one. Now...

I have no idea. 

They are definitely still going to incorporate the boost engine, as it has been a staple for the last couple of games. Based on how well they considered Forces went, they may try to incorporate more 'edgy' elements in their future games, but hopefully in a better way and not try to make the game seem too grim and serious. What would be really interesting is if they incorporate newer characters from the IDW series, such as Tangle and Whisper, into a future game. 

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, StellarBlur said:

I used to be rather pessimistic when thinking about the next game but, recently, we've started to see changes in how the Sonic brand is handled. I'm actually expecting a better game than Forces but I have no clue in what direction they'll go.

Like what, exactly? Honestly, I have to ask this. Before Forces was announced, SEGA got a new CEO who was talking at length about letting fans down and wanting to regain their trust. That's when the social media pages really took off and started to recognise past failings as those they were going to be better moving forwards. Mania the got revealed which seemed to signal a huge shift in SEGA's interest in delivering a high quality game, followed by the Forces teaser reveal only hours later. That too seemed to be interesting, because in recent years SEGA had completely shied away from early reveals of Sonic games and it was a very different tone to everything from the past 10 years. Forces looked like a nice approach in many ways, although the presence of Classic Sonic was a bright red warning flash we all hoped was a false alarm. And ultimately it didn't follow through... Like, at all. Mania came out and was met with acclaim, but Forces really hit a sour note. Love our hate the game, it was not recieved nearly as well as Mania and that's a fact.

Since then, it's been relative radio silence on what to expect from Sonic in the future. TSR looks like the quality game we've learned to expect from Sumo Digital, but its also seriously lacking in scope (probably because of budget). Mania and TSR both got fairly substantial delays. In Mania's case, it was definitely to make sure the game didn't need to be as rushed. That's probably partially true for TSR too, but I  think it was also part of a conscious effort to make sure that there was a Sonic game for 2019 (as was the case for Boom Fire & Ice). 

So...What's changed? I'm not aware of any changes in how SEGA is handling the brand. And what indications we've seen in the past have never held out. SEGA haven't handled the series well for the past decade at least, and it's gotten especially bad in the years after the (relative) high of Generations.

• Thumbs Up 5
  • Fist Bump 1

The staff changes along with the way the tides are shifting with gaming culture  make me think the next game will be very different. More focused on the free movement of the older days. The boost style came from an era where games were focused on simple mechanics and cinematic appeal to begin with, but times have changed and I expect Sonic will try and change with it, as he always does.

Hard to predict anything beyond that, though.

• Thumbs Up 2

Would like to see them combine their forces with the Mania Team and dig something like Generations' classic stages graphically, but with the gameplay being the exact same from Mania and all original levels. Basically Gens looks with Mania gameplay. Perhaps the graphics could be as detailed and layered as Generations, but with more saturated colors and visual effects, almost cell shade like, but not quite. I wouldn't say similar to Sonic 4 Episode 2, but something along that way visually (but with a WAY greater budget, obviously).

I don't know about you guys, but I doubt they could make a 3D game that is fun to play. But you can't deny that Sonic Team's games 9 out of 10 times look and sound great, so my idea would be let Sonic Team do the artistic part, and the Mania Team do the gameplay/mechanics part (and help with the art and sound too, why not). They could try a graphic style never seen before, something like Spider-verse did, ya know? Make a pixel art in 3D, I'm don't know, just throwing ideas out there.

If Sonic Team is indeed "moving" to America, I can't see why wouldn't be a good idea to join forces or work very closely with the Mania Team... Simply adding the drop dash DOESN'T COUNT! Man, imagine Tee and Jun directing the soundtrack of this hypothetical game, maaaaaan fuck.

Sonic Adventure remake for current consoles.

The Chaos 0 model in Forces was so underused and yet it looked great. They also have the Perfect Chaos model from Generations they can update. With the next gen consoles on the horizon and the fact they only released one main Sonic game this gen, I can see it being a budget current gen console release and then they will move on to next gen where it will take them 5 years to make a new engine.

I'd also like it if Team Mania were able to make all the stage layouts in the retro engine and then give this to Sonic Team to turn them in to 2.5D stages. Physics however would need work.

wisps return 

lackluster story 

2d/3d boost gameplay

green hill is the first stage again followed by other rehashed stages 

some cheap gimmick added on 

sonic only playable character

46 minutes ago, A sonic fan said:

wisps return 

lackluster story 

2d/3d boost gameplay

green hill is the first stage again followed by other rehashed stages 

some cheap gimmick added on 

sonic only playable character

I bet one other thing, other than Classic/Avatar/Shadow, will also be dropped from Forces, possibly rehashed stages, maybe Pontaff in any capacity. 

1 hour ago, Blue Blood said:

Like what, exactly? Honestly, I have to ask this. Before Forces was announced, SEGA got a new CEO who was talking at length about letting fans down and wanting to regain their trust. That's when the social media pages really took off and started to recognise past failings as those they were going to be better moving forwards. Mania the got revealed which seemed to signal a huge shift in SEGA's interest in delivering a high quality game, followed by the Forces teaser reveal only hours later. That too seemed to be interesting, because in recent years SEGA had completely shied away from early reveals of Sonic games and it was a very different tone to everything from the past 10 years. Forces looked like a nice approach in many ways, although the presence of Classic Sonic was a bright red warning flash we all hoped was a false alarm. And ultimately it didn't follow through... Like, at all. Mania came out and was met with acclaim, but Forces really hit a sour note. Love our hate the game, it was not recieved nearly as well as Mania and that's a fact.

Since then, it's been relative radio silence on what to expect from Sonic in the future. TSR looks like the quality game we've learned to expect from Sumo Digital, but its also seriously lacking in scope (probably because of budget). Mania and TSR both got fairly substantial delays. In Mania's case, it was definitely to make sure the game didn't need to be as rushed. That's probably partially true for TSR too, but I  think it was also part of a conscious effort to make sure that there was a Sonic game for 2019 (as was the case for Boom Fire & Ice). 

So...What's changed? I'm not aware of any changes in how SEGA is handling the brand. And what indications we've seen in the past have never held out. SEGA haven't handled the series well for the past decade at least, and it's gotten especially bad in the years after the (relative) high of Generations.

See I'm still waiting to see with the next game because Forces I feel was too set in stone when the new CEO stepped in and started talking about fan trust for them to really do much. Mania feels like the first Sonic game to be a product of SEGA's change in direction and I imagine went into full production close enough to the new CEO's arrival to reap the benefits. TSR certainly feels a little bit safe with roster and tracks but they've clearly got enough faith in it to not only bother delaying it, but also putting it up alongside Crash which is no doubt going to be stiff competition when that launches not long after TSR.

I can completely understand why fans would be pessimistic after Forces but I'm actually willing to believe they took a backseat for a bit, the difference in reception between Forces and Mania is probably too big for them to ignore. Fans have been burned too many times but with SEGA's generally solid performance outside Sonic in the past few years, the quality of Mania and the newly established Sonic hub at SOA I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt until a reveal.  

• Thumbs Up 7
  • Fist Bump 1

1 hour ago, Blue Blood said:

I definitely get your point and understand your concerns. Sonic Team has let us down many times in the past. I'm a naturally optimistic person tho and I've noticed a combination of things that make me believe that we might be in for an improvement.

Forces failed critically which (despite the game selling decently) is something they want to avoid in the future. As such, they'll probably respond with a change of some kind (good or bad). Furthermore, they can't shoehorn classic sonic with modern sonic anymore because classic fans finally their own game (thank god for Mania) so they have no interest in playing a modern game for subpar classic gameplay. On top of that, they've stated that there's a clear cut separation between modern and classic now. Again, this supports the idea that whatever they're doing next for Sonic, it has to be something else than boost and classic nostalgia pandering. There's a chance they fall back on Adventure pandering or do something entirely new... I'm not sure what direction they'll go in but we'll see.

Now, why am I expecting higher quality ? For starters, both Mania and TSR got delays for quality which is a good sign. They also seem to be getting people who care about Sonic to work on Sonic. I'm referring to the Mania Adventures shorts and the Overdrive animation. We would never have gotten something like that in the past. It feels like they're starting to get why people care about the series and nailing the tone. Finally, all of those points coincide with an apparent new management of Sonic being concentrated in America. Sure, one can say Forces was a total disappointment so they don't actually care but I think and hope that Forces was just the remnant of the previous Sonic initiative from before the CEO said they'd focus on quality.

Anyways, it might be misplaced hope... especially after Forces but I do have a good feeling about the future.

15 minutes ago, Joy said:

See I'm still waiting to see with the next game because Forces I feel was too set in stone when the new CEO stepped in and started talking about fan trust for them to really do much. Mania feels like the first Sonic game to be a product of SEGA's change in direction and I imagine went into full production close enough to the new CEO's arrival to reap the benefits. TSR certainly feels a little bit safe with roster and tracks but they've clearly got enough faith in it to not only bother delaying it, but also putting it up alongside Crash which is no doubt going to be stiff competition when that launches not long after TSR.

I can completely understand why fans would be pessimistic after Forces but I'm actually willing to believe they took a backseat for a bit, the difference in reception between Forces and Mania is probably too big for them to ignore. Fans have been burned too many times but with SEGA's generally solid performance outside Sonic in the past few years, the quality of Mania and the newly established Sonic hub at SOA I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt until a reveal.  

Exactly this. 

• Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, Diogenes said:

Or maybe they'll actually learn something from Mania's success and their repeated failures, go back to basics and focus on making an actually fun game instead of continuing to rely on the same shallow gimmicks.

In terms of programming and/or level design, not in aesthetics and memorabilia one might hope..

3 hours ago, Kuzu the Boloedge said:

Unless they have a significant staff change, I have no reason to believe anything will be different.

Whatever they do, they'll probably half ass it as usual and it will still sell regardless because its Sonic. 

We'll get a bunch of new members opening topics on how "amazing" it looks and call the older members "haters" and older members will lash out even though they should be used to this by now. Sean or somebody will close the topic for a few days then reopen it.

So yea, same shit, different year.

Another minor reason to do a middle ground except not a mixture.

3 hours ago, Solister said:

Following that logic the next game would be "Sonic Lost World 2", but assuming the mediocre critic of the game, it may not sound too obvious something exactly similar. 

In the hardest of the possibilities a game like Sonic Mania but with the Adventure era. Likely a new Sonic mobile game will be released soon.

That's kinda what I'm hoping for..

2 hours ago, Alynoxenfree said:

What would be really interesting is if they incorporate newer characters from the IDW series, such as Tangle and Whisper, into a future game. 

No, please don't.

I just realised I did basically a wishlist instead of guessing what it could be.

Well, I guess none of what I said will happen. It will be another mediocre game with the boost, wisps, dash pads, classic Sonic topped with a crappy gimmick and story.

The usual :V

Wouldn't have a clue. God only knows what cluster fuck a mess of a game they have in store for us. Well, it can't be any worse than Forces...or SLW......or Rise of Lyric. Mind you, Sonic Team will probably find a way to make it worse.

I'd like to think they'll give the boost gameplay a rest. I dunno, maybe as SLW felt like it took some inspiration from the Super Mario Galaxy games, perhaps the next main series game will take ideas from Super Mario Odyssey.

You know, I kinda hope it really does turn out to be a remake of Sonic Adventure, even though it's not bloody likely. 

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Jango said:

I just realised I did basically a wishlist instead of guessing what it could be.

Well, I guess none of what I said will happen. It will be another mediocre game with the boost, wisps, dash pads, classic Sonic topped with a crappy gimmick and story.

The usual :V

So? TSR is a break from Classic, more or less. We’ve had dash pads since Sonic 2, I think we should be used to them by now.

I can think of nothing more boring and uninspiring than an Adventure remake. I seriously hope that doesn't happen.

• Thumbs Up 1