Awoo.

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure

Iggy

(I leave for several years and get into JJBA only to come back and find that there's STILL no active JJBA thread smh)

Jojo_no_kimyou_na_bouken_japanese_logo.png.9c4a36ce09fe65f9ff6faec2fd0f0262.png

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure is a long running manga series by Araki Hirohiko, with the first issue published in January 1987. In 2012, David Productions began adapting the work into an ongoing anime, with the current part at this time of writing being the long awaited and much loved Vento Aureo.

c00ab3d3bdfaafe1706da271c7b173ff1529580638_full.jpg.d44f464e189a25c1dee07bc3d867797c.jpg

In addition to manga and anime, JoJo has also been brought to other mediums such as spin off novels and video games. This thread is intended as a one stop hub for all discussions of the franchise.

Jojo can get a bit graphic at times, so remember to keep it forum appropriate and try to avoid showing anything too bloody. If you're an anime only watcher, please browse this thread with caution as it may contain spoilers from those who have read the manga.

THnrpLH.png.e23a35d683c69797a70e56d456c52581.png

I originally did not cared for JoJo a lot, skipped the OVAs of the '90s (although they were really popular here in my country) and even the first season of the David Productions anime, but ever since All-Star Battle was announced i decided to finally get into the franchise and i certainly haven't regretted it, it really shows how much important it is for Shonen Jump and how many series of the future it had inspired.

My ranking of the parts until this point goes in descending order: 1-5-3-2-4-6-8-7 (yeah, not really an extreme fan of Steel Ball Run, sorry).
I'm really digging some of the choices they decided to do for the anime, what music did they chose and how to exploit the already memetic famous scenes, like the Vento Aureo torture dance sequence. Here's hoping we will not need to wait 3 years for part 6, lol.
As for the manga right now, JoJolion is better than SBR but so far it hasn't interested me completely like the previous parts did and what happens at the end of Stone Ocean still hasn't been washed away entirely. I'll give credit to Araki, still managing to coming up with fresh names and power disparity for the stands after so many years is quite the accomplishment, so kudos for that.

• Thumbs Up 1

Not gonna lie that part about not liking Steel Ball Run hurt my heart a little. (jk, I'm just really emotionally attached to that part.)

But anyways if I may ask, what country are you from? I only got into Jojo relatively recently (October of last year) and I assumed that the OVA and franchise in general was obscure outside of Japan until the anime.

That little flag under my avatar tells i'm italian, and we have a history of localizing anime even when other countries don't, having exclusive deals with companies like Toho and Tatsunoko, and so on. And Araki loves us in return, by having so many italian characters and the entirety of part 5 taking place here (although most of the names are not exactly common ones, rather of stuff you eat like Prosciutto (ham), Pesci (fishes) Formaggio (cheese) Zucchero (sugar) and so on).

Sorry, I'm on mobile and it doesn't show the flags underneath the icons. But hey, I'm glad to know that the franchise is popular in Italy! It's actually what got me interested in alot of Italian culture and history. And yeah, Araki must've really loved the food if he named so many characters after various dishes.

35 minutes ago, Teoskaven said:

My ranking of the parts until this point goes in descending order: 1-5-3-2-4-6-8-7 (yeah, not really an extreme fan of Steel Ball Run, sorry).

Interesting, I never see many people Phantom Blood that high on their list. 

29 minutes ago, RedFox99 said:

I have a few friends that are Part 1 stans, but in the English speaking fandom it's hard to find. Apparently there's more love for it in the Japanese fanbase.

2 hours ago, Teoskaven said:

I originally did not cared for JoJo a lot, skipped the OVAs of the '90s (although they were really popular here in my country) and even the first season of the David Productions anime, but ever since All-Star Battle was announced i decided to finally get into the franchise and i certainly haven't regretted it, it really shows how much important it is for Shonen Jump and how many series of the future it had inspired.

I'm really digging some of the choices they decided to do for the anime, what music did they chose and how to exploit the already memetic famous scenes, like the Vento Aureo torture dance sequence. Here's hoping we will not need to wait 3 years for part 6, lol.
As for the manga right now, JoJolion is better than SBR but so far it hasn't interested me completely like the previous parts did and what happens at the end of Stone Ocean still hasn't been washed away entirely. I'll give credit to Araki, still managing to coming up with fresh names and power disparity for the stands after so many years is quite the accomplishment, so kudos for that.

Hmm, I see we can never truly be friends. That said having re-read part 6 I think it's in the running for my least favorite part. Just going through it again felt like a chore, and the overall plot really felt tacked on. To it's credit it does have my favorite finale though.

2 hours ago, RedFox99 said:

1 hour ago, Iggy said:

I have a few friends that are Part 1 stans, but in the English speaking fandom it's hard to find. Apparently there's more love for it in the Japanese fanbase.

It suffers from early installement weirdness, but i really digged the charm of it being basically a Castlevania plot. Compared to other Shonen Jump works, the concept of the Hamon feels more "realistic" as a power-up, although obviously it still lets you do superhuman things (mind you, i'm ok with the introduction of the stands, i'm not one of those fans who say Araki should go back to the Hamon) and Dio is viewed in his progressive descent into madness and vampirism while most people are used to his Stardust Crusaders version who has already a defined personality with no real change (a really strong and fun one, mind you, but you get my point).

21 minutes ago, Balding Spider said:

Hmm, I see we can never truly be friends. That said having re-read part 6 I think it's in the running for my least favorite part. Just going through it again felt like a chore, and the overall plot really felt tacked on. To it's credit it does have my favorite finale though.

I kinda have the opposite thinking, i found the story fine for the most part and i like Jolyne as a protagonist, but the ending felt so sour, it gave the vibe that the journey of the characters was for nothing and it gave me the idea Araki had no direction anymore on where to take the story so he gave up. And to give credit, while not my favourite parts, Steel Ball Run and so far JoJolion are still impressive fine pieces of work and way better than the average run on Shonen Jump (Black Clover, anyone?).

Something I wanted to add: I really do like the references to the duality of Jonathan and Dio in the first theme song, Sono chi no Sadame

• Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, RedFox99 said:

Something I wanted to add: I really do like the references to the duality of Jonathan and Dio in the first theme song, Sono chi no Sadame

Same, David Productions has really hit it out of the part with the OPs. Stand Proud is my favorite, but anything that Coda sings is great too.

Me. Also Eyes of Heaven, loved both. Shame the cast for the parts that did not got an anime back then were replaced when the adaptations were made, i thought they were fitting enough.

• 2 weeks later...

tumblr_prxkv8zgaQ1sh11j9o1_1280.thumb.jpg.580e3e77b98dbf89fd94e999f58ed1ff.jpg

New teaser image for the upcoming episode, the conclusion of the battle against Ciccolatta and Secco!

The question that everyone is asking is how will the finisher be replicated.
For context to those who haven't read the manga, the franchise has this thing that once per part (more or less) there's a very despicable minion that gets beaten up in retribution a lot. Cioccolata's beating from Giorno lasts 7 pages total.

Considering how David Production didn't disappointed with the previous long beating, fans' expectations are high for this one.

tumblr_prykl6Tujx1tqvsfso1_540.jpg.c0aad87d95eae8b6f91d487c3e67bbf8.jpg

Another preview image for tomorrow's episode! Clean out your fridge and don't go downstairs because Ciccolata is back!

5 hours ago, Teoskaven said:

The question that everyone is asking is how will the finisher be replicated.
For context to those who haven't read the manga, the franchise has this thing that once per part (more or less) there's a very despicable minion that gets beaten up in retribution a lot. Cioccolata's beating from Giorno lasts 7 pages total.

Considering how David Production didn't disappointed with the previous long beating, fans' expectations are high for this one.

Oh yeah, I'm definitely looking forward to that. I don't know how David Productions plans to carry over the 7 page beatdown but it's sure to be glorious.

Not gonna I thought the fight would last more than 2 episodes (coming from a guy who never read far in the manga)

tumblr_ps06xfW0Is1tqvsfso1_540.jpg.c2e72dd6942759a33aaeddf7f03d38b4.jpg

New preview image for today's episode! Get ready, because Giorno is about to deliver a beat down!

• Promotion 1

Nobody:

Literally not a single soul:

The preview image for tomorrow's episode:

tumblr_pso7fyqw5j1tqvsfso1_1280.thumb.jpg.588cbe6160ba4f24fbb86deb168545f6.jpg

Doriririririririri.

The next few episodes are gonna be wild as fuck. Last week was awesome, although a little too dense, and was it just me or were the crunchyroll subs completely wrong/a bit off at some points?

The boss walking out from behind the pole was such a dope cut.

On 5/1/2019 at 4:57 AM, Iggy said:

(I leave for several years and get into JJBA only to come back and find that there's STILL no active JJBA thread smh)

Was my thread from 2012 not good enough for you?