Awoo.

Dreams (PS4) - Released - Explore the Universe of Dreams

Ryannumber1gamer

I'm not sure if we had a topic or not for Dreams already, but doing a forum search yielded no results, so I'm assuming either it never was made, or the topic itself died. But with Dreams releasing an early access version of the game to a limited number of people - now seems like the best time to make/remake this topic.

So...

latest?cb=20161126001712

So you might be wondering, what exactly is Dreams? Well, you might've seen it during a few of Sony's conferences - Dreams is a highly anticipated game that's been in development for years by Media Molecule, the creators behind Little Big Planet and Tearaway. The reason why Dreams has taken so long in development? Bluntly - Dreams is basically like a full-scale game engine on PS4, capable of allowing creators to make movies, music, levels, and more encompassing many different genres.

While the game still has not released as of yet, there is currently an early-access version of the game out which not only will give you the full version of the game upon release at a far cheaper price point (as a reward for buying it in early access), but gives you the full creator tools, and capability to explore the levels others have made online. While there will be single player stuff with the full release, including a story mode, the creator functionality will make up the main crux of the game, and it's insanely expansive. 

The key thing with Dreams' release is again - easily - the creator tools. Not only because they're incredibly user friendly, but Dreams in essence is like a game engine for your PS4. Some of the things that people have created using this game's tools are ridiculously insane, and varied. From driving games, platformers, shooters, etc. People have remade Mario 1-1 to making a fully realistic lightning system and graphics that you would expect out of a high-end PS4 game. Dreams represents a capability to introduce a hell of a lot more people to game development due to how user-friendly it's tools are, while making them in-depth enough to program these levels. 

So, as an example of this, here's a few insanely impressive things currently in development on Dreams by creators, including my own random highlights:

P.T (V 1.08):

One of the most insane examples of what Dreams is capable of - someone has literally remade P.T into Dreams. For those who do not remember, P.T is the 2014 demo to Konami's cancelled Silent Hills that was later totally purged from the PS Store. It involves walking to the end of the same room over and over again, as more things change, and creepier details emerge, revealing a darker, and more sinister story as you continue along. If you haven't had the chance to try out the original demo, Dreams provides a great chance to experience something like it.

Sandwich Driving 101 (The Spongebob Squarepants Movie Game) - (Named Bikini Bottom WIP in-game) - 

Recently updated to expand the level with walking mechanics, and a remade control scheme from Battle from Bikini Bottom, this is an insanely impressive example of what's capable with Dreams - someone remade the Sandwich Driving 101 section of Spongebob's Movie Game, complete with the actual music from the level, and incredible details, like the patty wagon literally opening up as Spongebob drives up ramps, exactly how it was back in the movie game proper. I'm incredibly excited to see how this goes.

Battle for Bikini Bottom - 

Couldn't find a video for it, but if you search Battle for Bikini Bottom in the dreamsurfer section of the game, you'll find it. A full remake of Battle for Bikini Bottom with tons of potential - already incorporated into it is Spongebob's double jump and spin attack, as well as different kinds of tikis that match their game counterpart proper (Smashable, rock tikis, and explosive tikis), and ability to collect shiny objects. It shows tons of promise and goes hand in hand with the above.

Metal Gear Solid - 

A remake of Metal Gear Solid's opening sequence - complete with stealth sections, codec calls, item pickup, cutscenes and more. Following this, there is another level - although the name escapes me that's a demo for stealth sections too, that works a bit like this. Still, incredibly impressive.

A Haunted Mansion - 

A fully-explorable mansion with different effects going on such as floating objects in rooms, and monsters exploring the area, different rooms to explore, including the guest rooms and graveyard, and a ton more. It's really fun to explore the mansion and see everything that it has to offer. It's also still being updated with more rooms and details.

So yeah, all of that - built on Dreams. I have to be honest, I am ridiculously impressed with this game, especially for one only in early access at the minute. As someone who's interested in game development, the very idea that we have something very close to what's basically a user-friendly game engine is insane to me, and I really can't wait to see what others manage to create with the software. 

So if you're exploring the dreamverse, or making your own dreams, feel free to share what some of your favourite creations are, or if you've got your own creations you want to share, feel free to do so. As for anyone wondering if they can still get hands on with Dreams, last I checked - the early access is still buyable, but is also limited, so whenever they fill up the slots, the early access will be taken down.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • My Emmerdoods 1

I've not messed around with this too much, but from what I've played the potential is... well, whatever you can dream. After a few months I think we're gonna see some really crazy stuff, even crazier than what's already been done.

As for myself; well.

• Thumbs Up 2

Just now, Tracker_TD said:

I've not messed around with this too much, but from what I've played the potential is... well, whatever you can dream. After a few months I think we're gonna see some really crazy stuff, even crazier than what's already been done.

As for myself; well.

Gotta say, I quite like the model of Sonic you made for it. Given how difficult it is to make models in Dreams, I think it was a smart idea to go for a styled chibi form for the model. 

• Nice Smile 1

Funny you made this topic... I tweeted this today.

Also this. A few awesome scenes I found.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • My Emmerdoods 1

Oh? I have not heard of this strange beast but if it's customization is as accessible as it was in Little Big Planet, even an imbecilic like me could make something.

I'll have to keep an eye out for this.

• Thumbs Up 1

I tried it at a friend's house. I find the thermometer to be a pain. It looks like it's mostly good for proof-of-concepts, art, music, and minigames more than actual, full games.

• 2 weeks later...

Oh dear...I never had this problem in LittleBigPlanet but having played through practically all of the tutorials in the game and trying to put that knowledge into practice. Something shocking happened...

I suddenly noticed that I'd forgotten everything I learned. XO

Their is certainly a steep learning curve and how you move and edit things takes some getting used to. Their was a PS2 game called Graffiti Kingdom in which you can create a character from scratch and that felt a lot easier to manage. But it's still early days and I don't intend to give up on trying yet. I have ideas, just can't put them into practice yet.

• 6 months later...

Quick announcement for anyone still on the fence - December 8th will be the last day to buy the early access.

Anyone who buys the early access can play after the 8th, and will be upgraded to the full game for free when it releases, which given standard PS4 game prices, it’s likely a 50% discount if you buy the early access.

Thanks for the heads up! Yeah the representative of the game at EGX said the same (and indicated the RRP is likely going to be around the £34.99 - £44.99 mark).

Whilst I love MM’s games - even if I don’t have the time to spend on the creation side of things - I do love checking out what others have made. So it’s weather to bother buying this now or just wait for the inevitable sale 2 months in.

I mean, let’s face it, we’re nearly at the end of the PS4’s lifecycle (as much as I feel that is ridiculous) and clearly this will either drop off the face of the earth very quickly, or (more likely) will see a port on PS5. But will early adopters see access transported over there? I’d hope so, but there’s just too little information right now. 

It’s annoying because this is such a fascinating tool for a concept of “design your own anything” that makes the scope of this huge. I love that you don’t even have to make games if you don’t want to and can create 3D art. It’s quite novel to essentially hand your engine over to gamers to see what they come up with. I know LittleBigPlanet and Mario Maker also do this, but it’s on much more limited access. 

The only thing that is a shame is that Dreams official release has been ongoing for so so long now. I just hope the constant (albeit probably understandable delays) don’t harm its eventual release because from what I have played it doesn’t deserve to sink into obscurity. 

• 2 months later...

The full version of Dreams launched yesterday, if you bought the Early Access, it's automatically been upgraded to the full game.