Awoo.

What do you think the roster will be for Tokyo 2020?

MarioKartGamerDude

My YouTuber friends brought it up yesterday and it got me thinking, who would be in the roster?! 

Lets be honest, when had the same exact roster for the past few years and it’s getting annoying. 

When Rio 2016 came around, it got me pumped to see so many new faces...only to get disappointed when I found out they were only playable in one event! 

Now, in my opinion, we may get some characters that were restricted in Rio 2016 become fully playable this time around, I predict these 6 characters are a no-brainer 

Team Mario

1. Rosalina 

2. Birdo

3. Diddy Kong 

Team Sonic

1. Rouge

2. Espio

3. Omega 

As for the rest, it’s really up to SEGA and Nintendo to decide because while I can see characters like Jet or Toad returning, I don’t know if they would add them in 

However, if they’re to add NEW characters, I’d say Pauline and Big are possible bets

But what about you guys? Who do you want to be playable in the game? 

...Well I guess this is just going to sit here I can answer. 

I do have a sneaking suspicion that there are more characters in the roster this time, mainly because of how the footage handled its flags. As to who I think the additions would be;

-Rouge is almost a shoo-in, being the most prominent non-playable mainstays of the series. 

-Espio I think has a good chance, if only because Mario and Sonic Rio was all too keen to group him with Vector (I'm serious; the character profile page had nine per line for a ten person roster, and Sonic's side made Vector the tenth slot and the first slot of the one-event roster went to Espio, Despite DK also being made tenth slot, Diddy Kong didn't get the same luxury). 

-Everyone else I couldn't guess, but I'd say Cream, Jet and Eggman Nega have less chance despite their seniority. I'd say Zavok too...but TSR kinda threw that idea out. 

• Thumbs Up 1

I think it'll be the usual 20, with like 2 permanent additions on each side and a bunch of event only ones.

The inital casts could be

Bowser, Wario, DK, Knuckles, Vector, Omega.

Mario, Luigi, Bowser Jr., Blaze, Amy, Rouge.

Sonic, Shadow, Metal Sonic, Yoshi, Daisy, Diddy Kong

Eggman, Tails, Silver, Waluigi, Peach, Rosalina.

With all the 2016 guest characters being repurposed for different events, and maybe adding a few more ones.

For that I'd say like Storm, Infinite or random Deadly six member for Sonic, or other koopalings and toadette for mario.

• Thumbs Up 1

As usual, I don't expect them to make any additions to the main roster (despite characters like Rouge having animations for like..5 events at this point). Instead they will probably continue on the path they've taken in Rio, either switching out a few guest characters for new ones, adding a second one for each event and/or allowing each guest in two events this time.

Who the new ones may be is a different question. I'd say another Deadly Six member such as Zeena is very possible, same for the Koopalings. Big has a chance of joining this time, also Omega (who wasn't in Rio Wii U) since they've both made a comeback recently, though Big is generally more ignored in the eastern branch of the franchise. Charmy and Storm are still question marks considering how neglected they usually are, same for Cream (right now at least) but she might take Sticks' place this time.

The Mario side has a lot of notable options left with Pauline, Toadette, Birdo, Koopa Troopa and others including Boom Boom, whom the intro promoted as playable but then just ended up as part of the Rugby event along the Egg Pawns, while Dry Bowser took the real last spot. Rio had a lot of surprises in store with the guests, so I'm sure it will be no different here.

Not sure. Given how starting in 2017 Sega started phasing out characters like Cream and the Babylon Rogues, I wouldn’t think they’d get in in any significant capacity. It seems that nowadays meme characters and hangers-on seem to be the main source of party game extended casts, like Big, Silver, and Vector. Rouge, Omega, and Big are the only major differences between the TSR and the non-boss Olympic characters. 

• Thumbs Up 1

I would hope for more characters and something along the lines of London Party.  

Hopefully, if they can/can't manage it well, they'll only drop or rather demote a few of the more fringey characters from Rio, but add in a few more if possible to keep with the times.With that said, some like Cream, Zavok, and Pom Pom all feel like they should be features.Also, is Tokyo known for having different/unique events among the other countries?

It being on a new system should help, as would them reusing the same models constantly.

On 5/11/2019 at 7:58 AM, MarioKartGamerDude said:

Now, in my opinion, we may get some characters that were restricted in Rio 2016 become fully playable this time around, I predict these 6 characters are a no-brainer 

Team Mario

1. Rosalina 

2. Birdo

3. Diddy Kong 

Team Sonic

1. Rouge

2. Espio

3. Omega 

Those sound about right except for maybe Omega.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 5/12/2019 at 4:44 PM, Your Vest Friend said:

I do have a sneaking suspicion that there are more characters in the roster this time, mainly because of how the footage handled its flags. As to who I think the additions would be;

-Rouge is almost a shoo-in, being the most prominent non-playable mainstays of the series. 

-Espio I think has a good chance, if only because Mario and Sonic Rio was all too keen to group him with Vector (I'm serious; the character profile page had nine per line for a ten person roster, and Sonic's side made Vector the tenth slot and the first slot of the one-event roster went to Espio, Despite DK also being made tenth slot, Diddy Kong didn't get the same luxury). 

-Everyone else I couldn't guess, but I'd say Cream, Jet and Eggman Nega have less chance despite their seniority. I'd say Zavok too...but TSR kinda threw that idea out. 

3 hours ago, DabigRG said:

I would hope for more characters and something along the lines of London Party.  

Hopefully, if they can/can't manage it well, they'll only drop or rather demote a few of the more fringey characters from Rio, but add in a few more if possible to keep with the times.With that said, some like Cream, Zavok, and Pom Pom all feel like they should be features.Also, is Tokyo known for having different/unique events among the other countries?

It being on a new system should help, as would them reusing the same models constantly.

Those sound about right except for maybe Omega.

I agree with all your responses 

Hopefully we’ll find out more at E3 since the game is coming out this year, E3 would be a good time to show something, maybe another trailer or the opening movie would help

Honestly the best outcome would be having 4 characters (2 Mario + 2 Sonic reps) promoted to veterans, playable characters. because some of them deserve it, plus include the guests so they can have as many characters as possible playable (the guests are basically playable bosses):

Veterans (every event):

Rosalina (Power)

Diddy Kong (Speed)

Rouge (Skill)

Espio (All-around)

I know it's unbalanced, but those are the ones who deserve it IMO.

Plus, if there are any guests, my hopes (16 events, each character x 1 event):

Mario series -

Boom Boom

Captain Toad

Toadette

Larry Koopa

Wendy Koopa

King Boom Boo

Spike

Pauline

Sonic series -

Jet

Zavok

Sticks

Cream

Big

Omega

Infinite

Tangle

That would be my roster. Taking out Zazz and Wave for the others, now Cream is definitely in, if Sticks gets replaced for not being relevant anymore (I sure hope not), then the ideal are Tangle and Whisper, who are relevant, I know they are from the comics, but it would help promote their mini-series, although I know the most recognition they could have is the mention at the March panel. But we do need more female characters, absolutely. Big… I'm undecided, I would hope they vary the roster from TSR, so… Infinite is also a maybe, I doubt SEGA would want to use him for something out of character like Olympics, he would also need to wear a sports outfit, so I highly doubt it. Zazz and Wave… I just don't like them.

7 hours ago, Jack the Shadow said:

Honestly the best outcome would be having 4 characters (2 Mario + 2 Sonic reps) promoted to veterans, playable characters. because some of them deserve it, plus include the guests so they can have as many characters as possible playable (the guests are basically playable bosses):

Veterans (every event):

Rosalina (Power)

Diddy Kong (Speed)

Rouge (Skill)

Espio (All-around)

I know it's unbalanced, but those are the ones who deserve it IMO.

Plus, if there are any guests, my hopes (16 events, each character x 1 event):

Mario series -

Boom Boom

Captain Toad

Toadette

Larry Koopa

Wendy Koopa

King Boom Boo

Spike

Pauline

Sonic series -

Jet

Zavok

Sticks

Cream

Big

Omega

Infinite

Tangle

That would be my roster. Taking out Zazz and Wave for the others, now Cream is definitely in, if Sticks gets replaced for not being relevant anymore (I sure hope not), then the ideal are Tangle and Whisper, who are relevant, I know they are from the comics, but it would help promote their mini-series, although I know the most recognition they could have is the mention at the March panel. But we do need more female characters, absolutely. Big… I'm undecided, I would hope they vary the roster from TSR, so… Infinite is also a maybe, I doubt SEGA would want to use him for something out of character like Olympics, he would also need to wear a sports outfit, so I highly doubt it. Zazz and Wave… I just don't like them.

I like this, Infinite is very doubtful and having Tangle and Whisper make their game debut would be nice

On 5/12/2019 at 4:44 PM, Your Vest Friend said:

Is that so?

On 5/12/2019 at 4:44 PM, thumbs13 said:

For that I'd say like Storm, Infinite or random Deadly six member for Sonic, or other koopalings and toadette for mario.

I very much doubt Infinite's gonna be anything any time soon.

Hopefully we find out more at E3 which I’m pretty sure we will since the game comes out in 2019

In the last olympic game I noticed that the characters were not actually splitted in categories such as power speed etc... so I guess we should not necessarily expect to have an All Around and Power for the Sonic Side and a Speed/Skill for Mario.

We can speculate who might be the most prominent characters that are still not playable.

in the Sonic Side I’d say Rouge, Espio and Big (the last one is very possible due to his boost in popularity).

as for the Mario side I’d say Rosalina, Diddy Kong and Toad (Maybe Cap. Toad)

I’d personally like to see 8 new characters, but it’s unlikely. Maybe the last two could be females. I’d prefer Sticks and Wendy 

On 5/12/2019 at 6:21 PM, LukA8 said:

As usual, I don't expect them to make any additions to the main roster (despite characters like Rouge having animations for like..5 events at this point). Instead they will probably continue on the path they've taken in Rio, either switching out a few guest characters for new ones, adding a second one for each event and/or allowing each guest in two events this time.

Who the new ones may be is a different question. I'd say another Deadly Six member such as Zeena is very possible, same for the Koopalings.

Big has a chance of joining this time, also Omega (who wasn't in Rio Wii U) since they've both made a comeback recently, though Big is generally more ignored in the eastern branch of the franchise.

Charmy and Storm are still question marks considering how neglected they usually are, same for Cream (right now at least) but she might take Sticks' place this time.

The Mario side has a lot of notable options left with Pauline, Toadette, Birdo, Koopa Troopa and others including Boom Boom, whom the intro promoted as playable but then just ended up as part of the Rugby event along the Egg Pawns, while Dry Bowser took the real last spot. Rio had a lot of surprises in store with the guests, so I'm sure it will be no different here.

That's an interesting prospect.

Yeah, Zeena is very likely due to her only real attribute.

Omega wasn't in Rio?

I wouldn't mind Cream being playable , though I'd like it even more if Sticks was still around as well.

Yeah, that was a weird detail. I seem to recall his model looking different from the others.

On 5/13/2019 at 12:09 PM, Miragnarok said:

Not sure. Given how starting in 2017 Sega started phasing out characters like Cream and the Babylon Rogues, I wouldn’t think they’d get in in any significant capacity. It seems that nowadays meme characters and hangers-on seem to be the main source of party game extended casts, like Big, Silver, and Vector. Rouge, Omega, and Big are the only major differences between the TSR and the non-boss Olympic characters. 

Was that really phasing them out so much as just not having use for them?

They still showed up in Runners and Speed Battle, for example.

I would like to to see classic characters like Fang or Mighty and Ray show up. It would be a great way to capitalize on their return in Mania.

On 5/15/2019 at 10:19 AM, DaN said:

In the last olympic game I noticed that the characters were not actually splitted in categories such as power speed etc... so I guess we should not necessarily expect to have an All Around and Power for the Sonic Side and a Speed/Skill for Mario.

We can speculate who might be the most prominent characters that are still not playable.

in the Sonic Side I’d say Rouge, Espio and Big (the last one is very possible due to his boost in popularity).

as for the Mario side I’d say Rosalina, Diddy Kong and Toad (Maybe Cap. Toad)

I’d personally like to see 8 new characters, but it’s unlikely. Maybe the last two could be females. I’d prefer Sticks and Wendy 

These seem very likely 

Here’s hoping for a reveal at E3

• 2 weeks later...

From Iizuka's interview:

https://www.sonicstadium.org/2019/05/tss-interview-takashi-iizuka-hints-at-dodon-pas-return-as-master-of-ceremonies/

“For maybe characters that don’t play such an important role to [a] game, we’d be fine with [the partner developer] coming to us with their ideas of who they want to put in the game. But when it comes to key characters – and for us Dodon Pa would be one of those – we really want to make sure that those characters are created in a way that they can exist in the franchise and the universe properly.” Sticks the Badger from Sonic Boom was also specifically cited by Iizuka as one of those key characters developed to have a long-term presence and impact in the Sonic universe.

Sounds like my favorite minor character is gonna stay around for a while, chances are high she's playable in this game. Well, I'm hoping she appears for sure, lots of minor characters appear in the Olympics, so...

The article also mentions Dodon Pa as a recurring character, maybe he'll appear here as a host for some event?

I would also like to see Tangle and Whisper, but I know it's not likely, as there isn't enough space for most game characters already.

On 5/14/2019 at 4:43 AM, Psycho_Jack said:

Tangle

then the ideal are Tangle and Whisper, who are relevant, I know they are from the comics, but it would help promote their mini-series, although I know the most recognition they could have is the mention at the March panel.

On 5/14/2019 at 12:18 PM, MarioKartGamerDude said:

I like this, Infinite is very doubtful and having Tangle and Whisper make their game debut would be nice

10 hours ago, Psycho_Jack said:

I would also like to see Tangle and Whisper, but I know it's not likely, as there isn't enough space for most game characters already.

Eeeeeh, naw, keep em in the IDW comics.

10 hours ago, Psycho_Jack said:

From Iizuka's interview:

https://www.sonicstadium.org/2019/05/tss-interview-takashi-iizuka-hints-at-dodon-pas-return-as-master-of-ceremonies/

Sounds like my favorite minor character is gonna stay around for a while, chances are high she's playable in this game. Well, I'm hoping she appears for sure, lots of minor characters appear in the Olympics, so...

The article also mentions Dodon Pa as a recurring character, maybe he'll appear here as a host for some event?

Sticks is definitely sticking around? Cool!

Also, Dodon Pa? Huh, okay then.

I want all new playable characters with return newcomers from Rio 2016 Olympics Wii U & 3DS for all events unlike Rio 2016 Olympics Wii U & 3DS.

Newcomers:
Dixie Kong

Charmy

Pauline

King K. Rool

Chaos

Toadette

Infinite

Storm

Big

Petey Piranha

The hosts would be Lakitu, Omochao, Toads and Dodon Pa from Team Sonic Racing.