Awoo.

Playstation Productions Announced

Blueknight V2.0

I wanted to create this topic because I thought it was necessary.

So yesterday, Sony announced the formation of Playstation Productions. To create adaptations of their many Playstation IP's. The 1st slate of projects are already in production, assuming this includes Sly Cooper. Distribution will be handled by Sony Pictures.

The Uncharted film is now in advanced development after being announced years ago. While Twisted Metal will get a TV series.

But what inspired the studio to be formed was the affect Marvel has had on the film industry, so Sony wanted to follow in their footsteps with Playstation's numerous & varied IP library. Seeing as their more familiar with their IP's than other studios would be if they were licensed out. Meaning more true to source material adaptations.

PS Productions will also be doing animated series & films. Meaning Sly is no longer with PGS, which explains why Sly was removed from PGS' site. Also it could mean more Ratchet & Clank and the possible return of Jak & Daxter. But here's how I think Sly was affected.

We're still not sure if the shows will premiere on Netflix or elsewhere.

So guys after the PS Productions reveal. Which IP do you think will get adapted to TV & Film? Be sure to post below.

Note: If Crash or Spyro, Activision would have to license them out despite them already having a film/TV division Activision/Blizzard Studios.

I am SO down for this.

Ape Escape movie, plz?

Oh! Oh! Or Parappa!

Well I mean Parappa had that anime. Maybe they could actually dub it and release it outside Japan to promote a hypothetical film?(I just really want them to localize that anime cause it was fun as fuck looking)

This is good news but I did giggle at the tweet that said '[Sony/PlayStation] aren't wasting ANY time' when they've been sitting on this obvious answer to produce their own movie material for like, at least ten years. They've wasted ALL the time, lol.

Still, it's great that they kicked this into gear at long last. My concern is that everyone who has tried to 'MCU' their movie brands have largely failed by creating duff films and damaging their project (besides Marvel themselves and one or two exceptions - Godzilla/Kong monsters universe being the only other good example I can think of). Sony Pictures has been hit and miss with creating Movie Universes, so I'm hoping that PlayStation Productions hits home runs by investing in great talent.

• Thumbs Up 1

Taking inspiration from Marvel I see. So I guess after 5 origin movies we'll get The PSvengers movie too? Noice. 

• Thumbs Up 1

The possibilities are indeed endless, but i'm not expecting much at least in this first period. The Twisted Metal series is a neat idea and a promise on handling IPs that right now aren't extremely popular, but i'm believing we're gonna get at least for now "safer" projects, i.e. movies and series about stuff like inFamous, Killzone or Daysgone (this last one is served on a silver platter, since it's pretty much AMC's The Walking Dead with even less special effects for the zombies).
As for the animated stuff, yeah, this is pretty much confirming the Sly movie and series are relocated to this, but as for other things? Right now i'm not so sure, i would have said Ratchet & Clank has potential, but the movie turned out to be extremely badly handled, so i'm not seeing Sony giving it a second chance. Maybe a 3D animated series about Gravity Rush? Or maybe a series of shorts tied around Little Big Planet made for the younger demographics, i dunno.
We'll see.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Jango said:

Taking inspiration from Marvel I see. So I guess after 5 origin movies we'll get The PSvengers movie too? Noice. 

I don't think they'll mean crossovers just yet, but it would be interesting.

Due to how diversified almost all the IPs are, unless it's a usual dimensional crisis crossover i can't see some of the series coexisting without one damaging the other and viceversa. For example, Horizon: Zero Dawn and The Last of Us are incompatible due to being post-apocalyptic game where Earth has been ravaged in completely different ways. Same for Resistance, wich deals with an alien invasion on global scale that protracts for multiple years, wich even if eradicated completely, it would be surely documented.
Then you have cases like inFamous where conduits start showing up a la Marvel mutants but are not a major factor into the world until way later on, so potentially it can be set up to coexist with, say, Uncharted.
The only major case where it's entirely possible two Sony series have a shared universe is Jak & Daxter and Ratchet & Clank, but aside from easter eggs and jabs at each other, it's only fan speculation.
...unless you also wanna count Heavy Rain and Beyond Two Souls (since in the latter you have someone reading on a newspaper about the Origami Killer), but the less David Cage gets attention and money, the better.

Overall, interconnecting these IPs seems an unnecessary monumental task that would require changing a lot of things, so i'm not sure that's the direction they will go.

• Thumbs Up 1

Get ready for PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale: The Movie!

Truly the Most Ambitious Crossover Event of All Time

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Dreadknux said:

Get ready for PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale: The Movie!

Truly the Most Ambitious Crossover Event of All Time

"I am Sackboy!"

I should be excited upon hearing this news, I love a lot of Sony's exclusives, and grew up on a ton of them. A lot of these characters are near and dear to me, almost as much as big names like the Marvel, or DC superheroes, or bigger mascots like Mario, and Sonic...but goddamn, I just feel totally apathetic to this.

PlayStation Productions is not a new thing, Sony tried to do the same thing with a PlayStation Originals line all throughout 2010, and the results were just shit. I was so fucking hyped for Ratchet & Clank's movie, I went to see it opening day instead of Civil War (Which I saw the following week), and the movie...it just isn't good. I enjoyed myself the first time I saw it, because I got all the injokes, and references, and thought it was just great seeing these characters I grew up with in an actual movie, with their actual voices...but everytime I think of it now, I just see cynical studio manufactured bullshit that infuriates me to no end.

Alright, they got the original voice cast, and what did they do in all promotional material? Shove them out of the limelight to advertise their celebrity voices that were all pretty bland and forgettable, but all of their characters were just meh. 

They got a script made by the guy who does the games, who made some of the best plots in the series, and had some of the best comedy in the series as well, and instead of using that, they threw it out, and reformatted it again and again until it was just...nothing. Ratchet didn't have an edge to him anymore, nor did he really have any kind of unique character or conflict with Clank, he was just a wide-eyed dreamer. Clank wasn't a naive thinker with a quirky sense of humour anymore, he was just a smart guy now who must do the right thing. They were voiced by their VAs, and yeah, they still did a good job, and Ratchet was at least better than dickhead Ratchet from the original game...but there was no conflict anymore, and the cast, bar Quark wasn't as good as their game versions.

The humour was bland and dated, outside of the game references (Moments springing to mind being the stupid ass phone joke at the beginning of the movie). Drek wasn't a corrupt business tycoon who took the universe's greed to extremes anymore, he was just kind of a wacky business guy now who treated his henchmen bad, and didn't have an intimidating voice anymore. The Galactic Rangers who were actually memorable in R&C3, or hell - even the Q Force which was brilliant just got replaced with a bunch of unmemorable characters who only served to be voiced by the various celebrities brought in for the film. 

The worst for me is the fact that Ratchet & Clank just don't seem like friends in the movie. There's no conflict with them, there's no funny misunderstandings, or jokes, or anything. They're together for all of 20 minutes before they try to make this stupid conflict about Ratchet following in Qwark's footsteps, despite the fact that Ratchet and Clank haven't been friends for more then 20 minutes of runtime and we haven't got a reason to care about them. 

That's what killed the movie the most for me. One of the best duos in gaming, two characters with a heartfelt story, and one of the best friendships in gaming, built over multiple titles...reduced to 20 minutes of runtime, and generic "oh you're a liar, do you record everything I say??" nonsense.

Everything about it just felt off. It didn't feel like a Ratchet product, it just felt like a studio pandering checklist of what should appeal to kids these days and to sell merchandise, instead of being a faithful and unique representation of what the games were, and while the PS4 title was awesome in gameplay, and graphics, it's notorious for making the story of the games, as well as the humour shit as well. It played everything far too safe.

Then we got this:

Boy, did I want to be excited for this. But after Ratchet being a disappointment...boy this just sunk the boat for me more. I love the Sly series, it's one of my all time favourite series, but after this came out when Thieves in Time had a ton of controversial decisions and changes that already made me feel iffy, but then this comes out by the same studio as the Ratchet movie - with designs that just ranged from downright awful to passable, pretty meh writing, and on top of that - a voice change for Sly for no reason (Sly's original VA - Kevin Miller iirc said he wasn't even asked to come back) and I think that just killed all hope I had that any of this would be done justice.

A rumour floated about that Jak would be next, and I just immediately began thinking how they'd take something as unique - and with as much of a tonal shift as Jak & Daxter, and just ruin it, especially since Daxter as comic relief treads a fine line between funny, and annoying. Doing Daxter badly would have the possibility of killing it altogether. 

I want to have faith that Sony having their own production studio for Playstation based properties will be good, and will bring out good results, but this is also the same studio that also messed with Spider-Man because they were desperate to set up a cinematic universe based off the MCU instead of just focusing on making good products, so to be frank - they have to prove to me that this is going to be of actual quality, because the past efforts with Ratchet and Sly just gives me reason to be concerned more than anything.

• Thumbs Up 1

@Ryannumber1gamer You have some good concerns there for good reason. But I believe the reason with what happened with R&C and Sly Cooper were part of the reason Sony decided to do things themselves. Because licensing IP's out to other studios (who barely know the IP's as well as Sony) wasn't doing well & tampers with the IP.

But this way, it could be possible the have creative input with original team members for each IP. Take Dev Maden (art director of the Sly Trilogy) for the Sly Cooper TV Show, he's consulted with the show. How much I'm not sure. But this'll mean a higher chance for the Sly cast to return with Kevin Miller, Matt Olsen & Chris Murphy. Making Sly (I really hope they lose the whiskers for Sly) a show instead of a film better fits the format (like the article mentioned) of the series and it's already a step in the right direction. So I have higher hopes that Sony will do a better job than external studios have done with their IP's.

Of all the IP they have, they choose to start with Twisted Metal for a TV series...

• Thumbs Up 1

The thing about most of Sony's major IPs is that they already pull a lot from television and film to begin with. Ratchet, Sly, Jak, etc always resembled second rate action cartoons with their characters, premises and story beats. The same could be said about their modern IPs like Uncharted, Infamous and the new God of War in that they resemble B rate big budget cinema. This isn't to say that the stories in these series are bad. Aside from maybe Infamous that's far from the case. They just don't stand out enough that I don't think they could carry themselves without the interactive elements. Y'know, the game part. That's what made these IPs interesting to me. I would have to see what kind of talent they get for this before I get excited but with them citing marvel and their assembly line "get it out on time at all costs" style of filmmaking I'm not holding my breath here. 

And I'm gonna be honest and say I really don't want to see a crossover with these characters. Sony characters are worlds apart stylistically.

The series with more unique premises like Littlebigplanet, Gravity Rush, Panel De Pon etc. have more of a leg to stand on in bringing audiences something they haven't seen already, but I fear them being watered down too much for mass appeal. 

Basically I'm not sold but my mind could change. 

• Thumbs Up 2

56 minutes ago, Marcello said:

Of all the IP they have, they choose to start with Twisted Metal for a TV series...

Well we got the Sly Cooper TV Show coming as well.

@Wraith You made some good points there. But the one specifically is the interactive elements. When Ratchet & Clank released, it was going to feel weird not actually using a controller for with the series. Well I guess what I'm trying to say is, even if it loses the interactive aspects it'll still be interesting to watch. Or if your someone like me, who can't play PS4 (soon PS5) games yet. Then these adaptations would reach that audience & introduce them to these franchises.

1 hour ago, Wraith said:

The thing about most of Sony's major IPs is that they already pull a lot from television and film to begin with. Ratchet, Sly, Jak, etc always resembled second rate action cartoons with their characters, premises and story beats. The same could be said about their modern IPs like Uncharted, Infamous and the new God of War in that they resemble B rate big budget cinema. This isn't to say that the stories in these series are bad. Aside from maybe Infamous that's far from the case. They just don't stand out enough that I don't think they could carry themselves without the interactive elements. Y'know, the game part. That's what made these IPs interesting to me. I would have to see what kind of talent they get for this before I get excited but with them citing marvel and their assembly line "get it out on time at all costs" style of filmmaking I'm not holding my breath here. 

And I'm gonna be honest and say I really don't want to see a crossover with these characters. Sony characters are worlds apart stylistically.

The series with more unique premises like Littlebigplanet, Gravity Rush, Panel De Pon etc. have more of a leg to stand on in bringing audiences something they haven't seen already, but I fear them being watered down too much for mass appeal. 

Basically I'm not sold but my mind could change. 

Honestly, I’m baffled they didn’t start with Gravity Rush, a promotional anime was already made for Gravity Rush 2 and looked pretty great from what I remember, and I’d love to see more, especially if they could get a studio like Madhouse or Bones behind it.

4 hours ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

Honestly, I’m baffled they didn’t start with Gravity Rush, a promotional anime was already made for Gravity Rush 2 and looked pretty great from what I remember, and I’d love to see more, especially if they could get a studio like Madhouse or Bones behind it.

Well Sony does have an anime series for one of their franchises. Can we get a polished up follow up to this:

First episode in spoiler tag:

5 hours ago, KHCast said:

Well Sony does have an anime series for one of their franchises. Can we get a polished up follow up to this:

First episode in spoiler tag:

Hide contents

I’ve seen the PaRappa anime, or at least the first five fan sub episodes someone made before stopping. It’s decent enough, if a bit odd since it comes before PaRappa 2.