Awoo.

OUYA Finally Dies on June 25 (OUYA Store Shutting Down)

Dreadknux

Hey remember the OUYA? The crowdfunded console that promised an indie revolution, but ended up being nothing more than a wet fart?

ouyamain.jpeg

Well, if you weren't aware, Razer (the peripheral company) bought the brand and the console rights for a stupidly large sum of money some time ago (for some reason)... and now it seems like that was money that was thrown onto the fire, because now the company is shutting down the OUYA Store in June.

https://support.razer.com/console/razer-forge-tv

When does the Forge TV/OUYA service shut down?

The services will shut down on June 25, 2019.

Will I still be able to play games on OUYA?

You will be able to play games via the OUYA platform until June 25, 2019. Once it has been shut down, access to the Discover section will no longer be available. Games downloaded that appear in Play, may still function if they do not require a purchase validation upon launch. Contact the game developer for confirmation.

Will the games be available on another platform?

Each game is managed by the developer and availability will vary. Once the platform shuts down, the games will no longer be available via OUYA. For Forge TV and MadCatz MOJO, you will still have access to the Google Play store, as well as other platforms. After the shutdown the developer may choose to activate the game on another platform. If you have further questions, contact the developer directly.

End of an era. *salutes*

• Thumbs Up 1

...Wait, you mean it wasn't already?

Well, now it's definitely dead, for real this time.

• Thumbs Up 2

4 hours ago, Dreadknux said:

Hey remember the OUYA?

It's hard to forget it when everybody keeps using it as a punching bag.

Talk about beating a dead horse after it already decomposed and turned to dust.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, Detective Kaito said:

It's hard to forget it when everybody keeps using it as a punching bag.

Talk about beating a dead horse after it already decomposed and turned to dust.

Sorry.

What was your favourite OUYA game?

• Chuckle 1

2 minutes ago, Dreadknux said:

Sorry.

No need to apologize. My comment wasn't directed at you, but the gaming community in general.

I never actually owned an OUYA, I'm just confused why people keep bringing it up.

4 minutes ago, Dreadknux said:

Sorry.

If the answer isn't Sonic 4 then the Sonic Stadium needs to shut down immediately!

Seriously though, didn't Sega throw some serious support at this for about a day or two?

2 minutes ago, Detective Kaito said:

No need to apologize. My comment wasn't directed at you, but the gaming community in general.

I never actually owned an OUYA, I'm just confused why people keep bringing it up.

OK well I really need to apologise because I was joking and being a bit of a dick haha. :) 

I assumed that only people who owned one actually cared about why it gets dragged so much. :P 

But seriously, I think it gets talked about a lot because it's an interesting case study for both crowdfunded projects and how they turn out (it was certainly one of the first high-profile ones that I can remember, that was video game related), and for its original idea for being an indie machine. It was a great idea. They just messed up the execution.

I guess people talk about OUYA for the same reasons they talk about the N-GAGE to this day. Loving that Side-Talking action. :D 

Also I'm being really serious what high-profile games beside Sonic and Towerfall Ascension was on the OUYA again? I really don't remember...

• Thumbs Up 3

9 minutes ago, Dreadknux said:

Also I'm being really serious what high-profile games beside Sonic and Towerfall Ascension was on the OUYA again? I really don't remember...

As I look around, I find that Telltale's The Walking Dead was on the OUYA, as well as Broken Age. Amongst other things, Duck Game was also on the OUYA (great party game if you don't have it already).

Hey, you gotta give the Ouya some credit--it outlasted the production of the Vita in Japan! What is dead may never die, dudes!

(Is it really any wonder this product is clowned on eternally by the community? It was a giant misfire with how it was designed and promoted, especially after the product was released and everyone actually had one in their hands. Even those who liked the concept feel the producers mismanaged the one opportunity they got it very badly.)

8 hours ago, Dreadknux said:

Hey remember the OUYA?

oh...

it's that thing again. well, after seeing the thread again I was reminded of it again. Thanks.

• Promotion 1

3 hours ago, Milo said:

Hey, you gotta give the Ouya some credit--it outlasted the production of the Vita in Japan! What is dead may never die, dudes!

I don't think it counts if you don't make anymore units and don't actually make any new games for it =p

• Promotion 1

My favourite Ouya game was trying to figure to pronounce the bloody thing's name.

Oo-yah?

Oi-ah?

Oh-yeah?

Oo-ee-yah?

It's a phonentic disaster and should have been the first red flag.

• Chuckle 2

1 hour ago, Blue Blood said:

My favourite Ouya game was trying to figure to pronounce the bloody thing's name.

Oo-yah?

Oi-ah?

Oh-yeah?

Oo-ee-yah?

It's a phonentic disaster and should have been the first red flag.

This question was answered in the game's first video ad, which happened to be the second red flag. 

I think it only took a few hours for this to be pulled. It's a real mystery how something marketed like this could possibly fail. 

• Thumbs Up 1