Awoo.

Terminator: Dark Fate (Paramount's 'other' movie)

Badnik Mechanic

Another decade is coming to a close, so we need another new Terminator Movie.

Staring Linda Hamilton, only details released so far is that it's a direct sequel to T2 and is ignoring all the other Terminator sequels. 

The new terminator has the ability to split into multiple terminators. James Cameron is back as writer, Tim Miller is director. 

Poster: 

Dark-Fate-Poster_1200_1873_81_s.jpg

Trailer drops tomorrow.

Even tho it hits all the right notes I'd want from a new Terminator movie (sequel to T2, James Cameron and Linda Hamilton is back), I just can't see it living up to a proper T2 sequel. 20 years too late for that in my opinion as now the old cast is gonna be running around as old farts in probably minor roles just to try to sell us on the new cast as Star Wars did. It's also probably gonna be another convoluted story with a crapton of CGI.

Plus, the whole "judgement day really does happen" plot line that the poster suggests never felt right for me. Then it just becomes a post-apocalytic movie. For me, that's not what made Terminator feel special and unique.

• Thumbs Up 2

47 minutes ago, Tarnish said:

Well, just watched the trailer...

Yup, not impressed. At all.

Why, exactly? 

1 hour ago, Operationgamer17 said:

Why, exactly? 

For me it felt nothing like a Terminator movie, more like an approximation.

The music for the trailer felt like a very strange choice.

I'm not sold on whoever is playing the new Terminator. Just doesn't really have that menacing killer face.

So far it seems as I exspected, the focus will be on the 2 new characters with Sarah appearing more as a marketing tool to get asses in the seats rather than be a main focus (that's how it felt to me anyway).

Sarrah's appearance when taking out the Terminator, I know it's supposed to be badass, but it felt like she was the Terminator instead with her zero emotion, almost bored delivery.

We're once again introducing a sideplot with that boy girl being the result of some kind of weird experiment.

Old Terminator shows up as if he really did went on a vacation at the end of T2 instead of melting himself.

Was John Connor even in the trailer?

Looks like the action is gonna be way over the top CGI, as it's typical these days. (I miss the days when all you needed was just a truck to know real shit was gonna go down.)

• Thumbs Up 1

For me it just looked like a paint by numbers action film.

And the trailer just makes the plot look like a mess. There's a nrw super terminator... mysterious new child. Sarah Connor is back due to... publicity.

Here's the Arnold cameo.

...Wait... what's the plot of this?

• Thumbs Up 1

I'll give it that the 2-in-1 terminator idea is kinda neat. After the T1000, whatever was in Terminator 3 definitely felt like a step back as it once again was basically just an old-school terminator with a metal frame you had to destroy, just with a fancy outer coat.

Now my only question is, does this mean an exposed terminator is just gonna walk around allowing it to be noticed and get the attention of people?

2 hours ago, Mayor D said:

...Wait... what's the plot of this?

According to Wikipedia, it’s this:

”More than two decades after the events of Terminator 2: Judgment Day, Sarah Connor (Linda Hamilton) sets out to protect a young woman named Dani Ramos (Natalia Reyes) and her friends as a liquid metal Terminator (Gabriel Luna) sent from the future attempts to terminate them.”

A site also did this:

http://thefilmexperience.net/blog/2019/5/23/yes-no-maybe-so-terminator-dark-fate.html

...yeah, I don't know what to think. Part of me does have pretty low expectations, especially after Genisys (thankfully this movie is not a continuation of that and has a different production crew). I can't say I'm super thrilled about it hitting the reset button after Judgement Day again (everything after T1 and T2 doesn't exist) after Genisys just did it and the Sarah Conner Chronicles tried it a while back (although I didn't watch that series). It feels emblematic of a general issue I've had for a while in that the series chains itself to the Connor storyline once more instead of focusing on a new plot with a new cast characters. Even tackling a new genre would help immensely; recall that T1 was more of a horror film than the action films Judgement Day and subsequent Terminator films have been since then. (Salvation, while it has its many problems, I do appreciate for its genre shift as more of an apocalyptic action movie and focusing on the robot war after the end.)

With that said, I kinda have some hope for this since Cameron's returning as a producer and co-wrote the story (as well as Hamilton reprising her role and getting Deadpool's Tim Miller to direct). He also did say this is supposed to be more of a conclusion of the Connor storyline, and that it's supposed to be a "passing of the torch" to new characters. And while I would had preferred a different style of Terminator completely as opposed to re-retrieving the T-1000 the past films have done already, I do like the idea of having a "two-in-one" Terminator that has both an exoskeleton (T-800) and a liquid form (T-1000). So maybe this film might buck the trend and actually be good....I guess.

Just saw the trailer. It may just be the fact that I’ve never seen any other Terminator thing but, this doesn’t look that interesting outside of the Terminator concept. Side note, the trailer uploads have more like than dislikes, but I’m not sure you can tell that just by reading the comments. At least one said it was basically the plot of Salvation all over again but with gender swapped characters and Sarah Conner. 

15 hours ago, Operationgamer17 said:

”More than two decades after the events of Terminator 2: Judgment Day, Sarah Connor (Linda Hamilton) sets out to protect a young woman named Dani Ramos (Natalia Reyes) and her friends as a liquid metal Terminator (Gabriel Luna) sent from the future attempts to terminate them.”

Okay...and why are they set for termination? I'm sure they're gonna attempt an explanation as to why they're so damn important Skynet sent their fancy new toy after them, but I just find it so convicient that there's always a new target Skynet can try to kill to prevent their defeat.
-T1: Kill Sarah Connor to prevent her from giving birth to John Connor!
-T2: Well, we failed with Sarah...Kill John Connor while he's still just a kid!
-T3: Well, we failed with John..kill the soon-to-be members of the Human Resistance!
-T Dark Fate: Okay, well...kill those 2 random woman!

12 hours ago, Milo said:

He also did say this is supposed to be more of a conclusion of the Connor storyline, and that it's supposed to be a "passing of the torch" to new characters.

It might sound rude, but..why the hell do we need "new characters" or a "passing of the torch"? I thought the main character of the entire franchise if there ever was one was John Connor, the leader of the Human Resistance. Yet, the trailer doesn't even imply he's still a thing in the franchise. It might be just me, but I don't want a new set of characters I don't give a rats ass about.

To be honest, the main problem with Terminator at this point is Hollywood and it's reluctance to end a story. They told a nice, compact story with T1 and T2, where T2 had a nice ending explaining that Judgement Day was prevented (the ending that was included in the whatever edition they called it), while also giving the audience the feeling that "oh crap, that predicted future might actually happen if we're not careful". But no, they have to keep milking the franchise long after the initial intended story has been told and now we're just jumping from random idea to random idea with no end in sight, because they don't ever want to be an end in sight.

That trailer does what trailers are supposed to do in respect to the plot , not give anything away. Far too many trailers these days give you half of what happens in what basically is  a 2 minute summary of the film they want you to pay money to go and see. So I'll give props here for it not doing that.

However...….

I grew up watching the first two movies over and over so for me to see James Cameron back in the saddle is great. The second movie in particular is a masterpiece with Robert Patrick playing the perfectly menacing T-100 to a er….. T. Going off the back of that whoever that was in that truck didn't give me the same vibe , he looked more like a jock bully type character that would fit nicely into an American Pie movie. The lady with the short hair , no idea what to think there , again the trailer didn't give you much TO think about as well as the Michelle Rodriguez look-alike. I have a feeling Linda Hamilton could make or break this film , she still looks like she fits the part and Arnie's role is anyones guess.

Overall , i'm intrigued but not excited.

So, out of curiosity, do you guys think this looks better than Terminator Genisys (since I hear that one was terrible)?

On 5/24/2019 at 7:04 PM, Operationgamer17 said:

So, out of curiosity, do you guys think this looks better than Terminator Genisys (since I hear that one was terrible)?

For me, they're both on the same level of "Why does this exist?".

Ignores everything after 2? Brings Linda back? Honestly, I can get on board with this. Though yeah I can understand the skepticism but I haven't seen most of the newer Terminator movies so I haven't been burned too badly yet. I wouldn't put this trailer on the same level as first impressions of Salvation or especially Genesis though, I'm pretty interested in seeing how this turns out.

On 5/24/2019 at 4:48 AM, Eurisko said:

Overall , i'm intrigued but not excited.

This is about where I am. If Linda Hamilton is in it other than just because her and Cameron have made up, then I'm game. She was the real center of both of the first films, to the extent that the shadow she cast over the third sunk everything even if the third had been good. That they are basically just ignoring everything after 2, instead of trying to get cute with things like Genisys, is the correct way to handle things.

• Thumbs Up 1

With the return of Cameron & Hamiltion (and a mildly interesting looking story) I'd expect Dark Fate to generate enough hype & praise to push it above at least Salvation & Genisys.

The original Terminator & the Sequel Judgement Day were brilliant movies. Judgement Day is one of the best movie sequels I've ever seen and that's where it should have ended. The story was finished-no need for a sequel. The only reason why Terminator 3 got made was because fans kept asking for it, and to be fair it was a an okay movie (I like the ending), but not up to the standard of T1 & T2. Naturally Schwarzenegger had to appear in T3 (based on fan demand), and yet his appearance in terms of the story felt rather forced (being the same as he was in T2). They should have chosen a more advanced Terminator-different actor to protect connor etc. Salvation was pointless and Genisys felt like a badly written Doctor Who episode, heh

Dark Fate taking place after 2 (retconning 3, Salvation & Genisys) really seems pointless. I mean, unless they're planning on making another three films with Cameron & Hamilton. Also, Sarah Connor is now about 60 and it feels like we should have had a movie when she was 40 and 50 etc. A thirty year jump doesn't feel right and where is Connor (and the original actor who played him)? AND WHY IS SCHWARZENEGGER IN THIS MOVIE???!!! Okay, we know his presence will make people want to watch it more, but honestly the T800 is an outdated terminator which should never be seen again. Feels kind of embarrasing having an old looking T800-Schwarzenegger in this movie.

T1 & T2 were great movies for their time but sadly the Terminator brand just doesn't have the same appeal/impact it once did. 

Hate to admit it but part of me wants this film to fail so that this once great franchise can finally rest in peace.

The original Terminator films had horror elements to them, with some suspense as well. This trailer lacks all of that. It feels more like a superhero movie or something, with the action being way too over the top. Bland trailer with dull effects. Pass.

Plot spoilers.... these come from multiple people who claim to have attended test screenings... Source is... All over YouTube.

Spoiler

Set after T2. Basically, the events of T2 successfully wiped out Skynet, there is no Skynet anymore.

But a new Ai takes over called 'Legion'. They send a terminator back in time to 1998 who manages to kill John Connor! Apparently Connor is killed when he is still a boy, they said that apparently Edward Furlong's face is digitally placed onto another actor.

Now a new potential resistance leader emerges in the form of the girl we see in the trailer. The rev 9 is the new terminator who goes back in time to kill the girl, there is however a new human resistance who is able to send back the lady to protect her who is an augmented human.

9 hours ago, Badnik Mechanic said:

Plot spoilers.... these come from multiple people who claim to have attended test screenings... Source is... All over YouTube.

Reveal hidden contents

Set after T2. Basically, the events of T2 successfully wiped out Skynet, there is no Skynet anymore.

But a new Ai takes over called 'Legion'. They send a terminator back in time to 1998 who manages to kill John Connor! Apparently Connor is killed when he is still a boy, they said that apparently Edward Furlong's face is digitally placed onto another actor.

Now a new potential resistance leader emerges in the form of the girl we see in the trailer. The rev 9 is the new terminator who goes back in time to kill the girl, there is however a new human resistance who is able to send back the lady to protect her who is an augmented human.

Oh yeah, I'm definitely passing on this movie. 

• 1 month later...

Really surprised he's back!

It'll only be a cameo but still really surprised they both asked and he agreed.

Seems like the cast involved has been enjoying themselves; at PR events at least. That's not a guarantee with movies like this, so hopefully it's proof of some care being put into it.

• 1 month later...

New trailer:

Well, it does atleast look interesting.

Although, getting Linda Hamilton to say "I'll be back" is so lame.