Awoo.

2008 Video Game Baftas

Urtheart

Yep you are reading the topic correctly. After last years fiasco with certain games that had not been released winning an award (exception of one to look for).

We have our winners for 2008...

Half of whom are from 2007.

Gameplay: Call of Duty 4

Casual: Boom Blox

Sports: Race Driver: Grid

Story and Character: Call of Duty 4

Strategy: Civilisation Revolution

Best use of Audio: Dead Space

New Talent: Boro Toro

Multiplayer: Left 4 Dead

Best Technical Achievement: Spore

Original Score: Dead Space

Handheld: Professor Layton and the Curious Village

People's Choice: Call of Duty 4

Artistic Achievement: LittleBigPlanet

Best Action and Adventure: Fable II

Best Game: Super Mario Galaxy

Feel free to discuss.

Personal thoughts? Because of how early the award was last year, I assume CoD4 and Galaxy missed the cut off line. But still it more seems like a popularity contest rather than actual technical achievement but that's just my view.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ming Ming Hatsune

• Urtheart

• Strong Bad

• Remy

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow...Grand Theft Auto IV won nothing on the night...and it was basically 2008's Game of the Year in most review sites. o.o

Multiplayer deservedly won by Left 4 Dead.

Disagreeing with People's Choice award, I voted for Wrath of the Lich King.

The hell is Boro Toro.

I think myself the oddest thing is, if CoD4 had better gameplay and won in 2 other categories and, how did Mario Galaxy beat it as Game of the Year? (my personal feelings on Galaxy aside here)

Disagreeing with People's Choice award, I voted for Wrath of the Lich King.
Call of duty appeals to the unwashed chavistic masses though.

I think myself the oddest thing is, if CoD4 had better gameplay and won in 2 other categories and, how did Mario Galaxy beat it as Game of the Year? (my personal feelings on Galaxy aside here)

I totally agree there there were many other great games between 2007 and 2008 that are far better than SMG I smell something rotten in the Game Baftas and its not our own Dr Eggman.

Super Mario Galaxy shouldn't be the Game of the Year. In 2008 we had way better games than Galaxy. How did it still win? It doesn't make any sense. =/

Glad LittleBigPlanet got an award. An epic game needs one. =3

Well I guess in the videogame industry winning is selling shit load of games rather then achieving anything.

While I agree with some of the choices, it does seem to be a popularity thing.

Funny, I think Galaxy deserved it. Nothing else I've played was as good, and I've played quite a lot of games.

Everyone forgot about Super Smash Bros. Brawl! XD Guess it was disappointing game in the end...

Brawl can take "Biggest Dissapointment"

Unless someone was still looking forward to Too Human. Or er, GTAIV, or er...

I'm still shocked GTA IV came out with nothing. And Galaxy still the #1 GOTY. It's two years old. I don't play it anymore. No one hardly still goes around and say "GALAXY IS THE BEST GAME EVA!"...and I personally think that Galaxy was way overrated. =/

Games like Call of Duty 4, L.B.P. and Grid really deserve all the praise people can give to them, but a lot of the games on that list shouldn't be where they are.

Galaxy as GOTY??? It was good, but not THAT good.

I would've expected MGS4 as the Game of the Year. So much critical acclaim, IGN even said that it's worthy of an 11, but you know them...

OMG! Yeah, how can they forget MGS4 as well? This is a very disappointing result to be honest...

Hah, I think Mario Galaxy bloody well deserved it, it was far better than Sunshine. GTAIV my ass. I'm glad it got nothing. Brawl wasn't that brilliant a game either you know.

Oh, and MGS4 is overrated. >.>

That is all I have to say about this. =]

Edited by Gabz Girl

Just realized. This is a "GAME" British Video Game Award thing. Spike Video Game Awards (VGA) is the real thing and GTA IV won Game of the Year there. =3

(And yay for LBP again for winning Best PS3 Game there too...)

Just realized. This is a "GAME" British Video Game Award thing. Spike Video Game Awards (VGA) is the real thing and GTA IV won Game of the Year there. =3

So, because this was a British award, it's not real?

Right...

I'm very pleased to see Super Mario Galaxy on there! Thought it would have been slightly too old to qualify, so I'm glad I'm wrong <3

So, because this was a British award, it's not real?

Right...

I never said the Baftas awards weren't real. If so I didn't mean it like that. Otherwise it wouldn't be on the news and such. But for a second I thought Baftas was the main actual overall Video Game Awards...but it wasn't.

Every award counts. Doesn't matter if it's from any country. Every award counts.

pft I hate COD.

I definetly think that Fable2, Left for Dead, Super Mario Galaxy and Prof Layton deserve their awards.

How can GTA IV won Game of the Year?! I hate GTA, they're so boring >__<

Edited by Mollfie

How can GTA IV won Game of the Year?! I hate GTA, they're so boring >__<

Because a lot of people like it. Shockgasp opinion differences.

No one is ever going to agree with awards. From my standpoint 2007 was one of the worst years in gaming due to absolutely (or nearly) no innovation or forward for the industry, and Mario Galaxy was the cream of crap, ok it was a solid game, but there was nothing innovative about it, the gameplay was bland and because I had played Mario 64 for the first time just before it (and enjoyed it somewhat) going straight into Galaxy felt like playing exactly the same game again with the gravity parameters set from global to mass based.

I'm also not a fan of GTA4 but I have seen how the technology behind it works, so I can easily recommend it higher than galaxy because it's been a benefit in development. Just because I don't like GTA4 (or any of them for that matter) doesn't make it a bad game, and I can still appreciate the some of the tech behind it.

*shrugs*

My GoTY for last year are somewhere in the network part.

EDIT: No they aren't they got deleted, blasted memory.

pft I hate COD.

Call of Duty, or Call of Duty 4. There is a big difference.

I also am not too high on the GTA franchise. None of them were anything special, but I see that a lot of people like that kind of stuff so whatever....