Awoo.

Pokémon Masters - New iOS and Android title coming Summer 2019

Big Panda

The new Pokemon title being developed by DeNA was announced during the 2019 Pokemon Press Conference.

C9-B0-B378-7933-4-F70-93-B9-DB9-EA379-FD

Pokemon Masters is a new game for iOS and Android that sees many of your favourite Pokemon trainers from across the series’ history come together to battle it out!

• Thumbs Up 2

I don't really play mobile games. Like, at all. But this did surprisingly manage to grab my attention.

I might give it a try whenever it comes out.

• 5 weeks later...

A presentation was held today showing off more stuff, including a sweet animated trailer!

• Thumbs Up 1

With as much as I typically dislike mobile games, I can't believe how much this one has done to grab my full attention and generate so much hype within me. And it comes out THIS Summer??

I don't think I'll be investing any time into Sword and Shield when I could be playing Masters instead.

I can't believe I got more hyped from watching a trailer for a Pokemon smartphone game than one that will be on an official home console for eight minutes

• Thumbs Up 4

How is it that the smartphone game can keep Mega Evolution alive and kicking while the home console game kicks them to the curb?

Whatever. Any chance to team up with best Champion Cynthia is good in my book. I'll at the very least poke at this game when it comes out. I've hit the paywall in Sega Heroes pretty hard, so I'll probably need to switch to another game soon.

This game seems like a surprisingly smart move.  Pokemon has always gone out of its way to design distinctive and appealing characters who largely just sit around in their challenge rooms all day doing nothing, and only get more leverage in the anime if at all.  Finally exploiting the popularity of human characters rather than just Pokemon was pretty canny on GameFreak's part.

2 hours ago, Sega DogTagz said:

How is it that the smartphone game can keep Mega Evolution alive and kicking while the home console game kicks them to the curb?

Because the accumulation of mechanical gimmicks is making the mainline games steadily more bloated with archaic minutiae, some of which they're designing new systems to improve upon?  The big problem with Mega Evolution is that it's a single-gen gimmick that wasn't designed like one; crafting Mega Evolutions as distinct new Pokemon was a serious mistake if they didn't intend it to be a fixture (and it was already soft-dropped in Gen VII).  People give Dynamax flak for being boring, but mechanically it's built as a synthesis of Mega Evolution and Z-moves, and flavoured as being region-specific so it won't carry the same long-term expectations.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later...

This made me realize they missed an opportunity to have team up triple battles way back when that battle format was introduced in BW1. Like, you literally have two friends that travel with you throughout the game...

• Thumbs Up 2

New character renders:

Masters_Protagonists_Pikachu.png

Protagonists.

Masters_Paulo_Rockruff.png

Your rival, Paulo.

Masters_Professor_Bellis.png

Pasio’s resident professor, Professor Bellis.

Masters_Lear.png

Pokemon Masters League organiser, Lear.

Masters_Sawyer_Rachel.png

Lear’s staff, Sawyer and Rachel.

And some more returning trainers

Masters_Whitney_Miltank.png

Masters_Hilda_Tepig.png

Masters_Siebold_Clawitzer.png

• Thumbs Up 1

• 1 month later...

The fanservice in this game is larger than Groudon :D

Never would I ever think I'd see the day that certain Characters from this franchise would be paired together

There's also different lore mixed in from the games, anime, Pokemon Adventures...etc

The idea of every Pokémon having only one weakness instead of multiple does take some getting used to...

Yeah the battle system takes some time to get used to as it's not that turn based. You have to be quick in planning strategies.

It's a pretty fun game so far! I like the animations for the characters. Rosa is so cute because of them. The voice acting tho is a huge meh.

The downloading content and paywall stuff is gonna be a pain tho.

Edit: some of the music is remixed in some places. For instance I heard the Kanto gym theme and the frontier battle theme at some point.

I'm enjoying this game so far, despite the fact that my phone can barely run it, resulting in some very laggy battles and cutscenes. Still, at least the data is backed up on my Nintendo account, which should be useful if/when I eventually upgrade.

...Anyway, the game. I'm having a decent amount of fun with the story, primarily thanks to the way some characters bounce off one another. It's nothing exceptionally great, per se, but I like it. The gameplay wasn't too hard for me to get the hang of, but seeing all these Pokémon now only having one weakness did throw me for a curve ball to start with.

If there's one major, MAJOR gripe I have with the game, though, it's the Gem system. For context, the Gems are basically what you use to recruit new characters and Pokémon to your team, but for some asinine reason, DeNA decided to separate these Gems into two categories: Paid & In-Game.

So while you can still earn Gems to unlock a random character (though it's not guaranteed to be new; you could just get a repeat of one of your team members), certain "event" options for recruiting characters (such as the ongoing Launch Celebration) are permanently locked behind a paywall, because you HAVE to use Paid Gems on those! It's absolutely ridiculous!

...Aside from that, however, I think the game's pretty enjoyable overall. For the moment, at least.

20 hours ago, Ellipsis-Ultima said:

Edit: some of the music is remixed in some places. For instance I heard the Kanto gym theme and the frontier battle theme at some point.

Yeah, there's a few remixes scattered throughout the game, usually when you battle certain characters. For example, if you battle Nanu (from Sun/Moon), the music will be a remix of the Island Kahuna battle theme. 

My only major gripe with the game so far is how much it eats up my battery. I took my phone off charge this morning at 100%, played the game for roughly half an hour, and got off to find the battery had dropped to around 50%.

• 3 weeks later...

Out of curiosity, what are your favourite voices in the game?

Hilbert’s voice was an unexpected surprise for me. He sounds noticeably maturer then his fellow male protagonists. I actually had to check to make sure it wasn’t Michael Reisz (Matt in Digimon Adventure and Takuya in Digimon Frontier) as I thought it sounded similar to his.

I also love Mina’s voice. Relaxed and slightly spaced out is very fitting.

Off the top of my head:

I really like Blue's voice, Hau's voice fits, as well as Grimsley. Hilda, Viola's alright as well, and Brawlys voice fits his character.

• 1 month later...

Boy this topic is dead.

But dang is this game getting datamined. First Elesa and now this:

Spoiler

Not only are we getting Caitlin and Calem (both are 5 star psychics) we are getting Glacia of the Hoenn elite 4 (5 star ice type) and the player character is getting a Torchic too.

I've a feeling we are getting psychic and ice type training events later down the line and the last one could have something to do with the story mode.

Sauce: https://www.pokekalos.fr/jeux/mobile/pokemonmasters/duos/index.html

Sites in French but scroll down for the datamined list.

Great game IMO but I'm still stuck on chapter 9's Team Break 2 boss fight. I'm trying to level up Pryce but the rival sync move kills all of my team. Ugh. Any tips? I already tried levelling up, guess I'll have to do more, and set up the team so that I have the advantage Pokemon types of course.

15 hours ago, Tangled Jack said:

Great game IMO but I'm still stuck on chapter 9's Team Break 2 boss fight. I'm trying to level up Pryce but the rival sync move kills all of my team. Ugh. Any tips? I already tried levelling up, guess I'll have to do more, and set up the team so that I have the advantage Pokemon types of course.

Well let's see... Aside from leveling up have you unlocked the characters passive moves? Like Pryces I'll teach you a lesson which increases the Pokemons defense and spl defense I think.

Try using him, Korrina and Rosa? Use dire hit and that in the beginning to increase your critical hit rate. I say Rosa since she has a ability to refresh the move gauge, so you can use moves like icebeam and close combat frequently.

EDIT: Forgot to add, but Caitlin is coming via a story event. Interesting...

• Thumbs Up 1

7 hours ago, Pumpkin Spice Ultima said:

Forgot to add, but Caitlin is coming via a story event. Interesting...

Seems like it'll be the same as the previous story events for Blue and Hilda: A couple of side missions involving you, the new character (in this case, Caitlin) and a third member, with a Spotlight Scout for Caitlin running alongside the event.

• 3 months later...

Looks like Prof. Oak may be added to the game soon.

If he's playable, what Pokémon would be his partner?

51 minutes ago, Sonictrainer said:

If he's playable, what Pokémon would be his partner?

One of the unevolved Kanto starters seems the most likely to me.