Ernest the Panda

Pokémon Masters - New iOS and Android title coming Summer 2019

With as much as I typically dislike mobile games, I can't believe how much this one has done to grab my full attention and generate so much hype within me. And it comes out THIS Summer??

I don't think I'll be investing any time into Sword and Shield when I could be playing Masters instead.

How is it that the smartphone game can keep Mega Evolution alive and kicking while the home console game kicks them to the curb?

Whatever. Any chance to team up with best Champion Cynthia is good in my book. I'll at the very least poke at this game when it comes out. I've hit the paywall in Sega Heroes pretty hard, so I'll probably need to switch to another game soon.

This game seems like a surprisingly smart move.  Pokemon has always gone out of its way to design distinctive and appealing characters who largely just sit around in their challenge rooms all day doing nothing, and only get more leverage in the anime if at all.  Finally exploiting the popularity of human characters rather than just Pokemon was pretty canny on GameFreak's part.

2 hours ago, Sega DogTagz said:

How is it that the smartphone game can keep Mega Evolution alive and kicking while the home console game kicks them to the curb?

Because the accumulation of mechanical gimmicks is making the mainline games steadily more bloated with archaic minutiae, some of which they're designing new systems to improve upon?  The big problem with Mega Evolution is that it's a single-gen gimmick that wasn't designed like one; crafting Mega Evolutions as distinct new Pokemon was a serious mistake if they didn't intend it to be a fixture (and it was already soft-dropped in Gen VII).  People give Dynamax flak for being boring, but mechanically it's built as a synthesis of Mega Evolution and Z-moves, and flavoured as being region-specific so it won't carry the same long-term expectations.