Awoo.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare (October 25th 2019) - Who asked for moderner modern warfare?

Ryannumber1gamer

The newest title in the Call of Duty series has been announced to be a revival of the beloved Modern Warfare series, reintroducing a single player campaign after it's exclusion in Black Ops 4, as well as promising a brand new squad co-op mode, and a classic multiplayer mode. 

Usually, given it's Activision, all that is a bunch of empty words, but I find it interesting to mention this also promises a new engine that the series will be using for the first time ever, promising revamped graphical power, and a few new features.

As for me personally...yeah, not really feeling it. Modern Warfare 2 and Black Ops 1 are my favourites in the entire series, but said series has been fleeting for the last while, and any time they do manage to make decent steps to making it good again, like with Black Ops 3 or Black Ops 4, they tend to screw around with it and mess it up badly with post-launch updates. I fully expect them to try to shove too many microtransactions into this game. Honestly, I would've preferred the long-rumoured Modern Warfare 2 remaster. 

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Blue Wisp

• KHCast

• McGroose

• Ryannumber1gamer

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Let's be truly honest here. The microtransactions only ruined a small amount of the franchise, and only became an issue when they put weapons into the loot boxes. The removal of features like Spec-Ops, Survival, and especially the Campaign was what really started to kill the franchise for me and why I moved on to Battlefield (and you and I both know how that franchise went to shit as well). If Activision, and that's a really big if, is true to their word, then maybe this will be a game worth getting. Of course, we still have yet to see some more actual gameplay, so I'm gonna hold off on giving any more opinions until then.

Oh look, no one is surprised to hear any of this since it was leaked days ago. Still though, eh. Not a fan of one of their selling points trying to be “mdihsikxo TEH GRAPHICS” Did we really need a upgrade in visuals? Is that what people were clamoring for? Neat to have a campaign mode back, but since those haven’t felt satisfying since like, geez, Black Ops 2(?), I can’t really find that announcement anything special. It seems like a predictable move of Activision to do after the last game didn’t do as well as their shareholders wanted, so yeah, this still to me is coming of like just another CoD game for the current year. Also expecting microtransactions/lootboxes so that’s another reason why it’s hard to care about it.

So... Uh... I'm kinda confused. What is this?

Didn't we just get a remake of Modern Warfare not to long ago? Is this an entirely new Modern Warfare series? 

Is this a remake of a game they already did a remake of not even 5 years ago? The settings look like they're from the first Modern Warfare.

It's a new series with the exact same name? Is it basically the same concept as the first game but under a new director?

Just now, McGroose said:

Didn't we just get a remake of Modern Warfare not to long ago? Is this an entirely new Modern Warfare series? 

Is this a remake of a game they already did a remake of not even 5 years ago? The settings look like they're from the first Modern Warfare.

It's a new series with the exact same name? Is it basically the same concept as the first game but under a new director?

What we got a few years ago was just a remaster of the original Modern Warfare. This is a full on reboot of the Modern Warfare series.

1 minute ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

What we got a few years ago was just a remaster of the original Modern Warfare. This is a full on reboot of the Modern Warfare series.

Ah, OK. 

It seems like this is the most innovatively bankrupt strategy these guys have come up with so far. 

"Actual in-game footage"..One must wonder, is this the Anthem kind of "in-game footage" or actual in-game footage?

Anyway, as someone who really enjoyed the Call of Duty franchise up until Modern Warfare 2, this doesn't excite me one bit. I had my "military shooty-shooty bang bang" fill for a life I guess.

Also, the more realistic games look these days, the less they excite me. I know the goal always was as realistic looking as the tech allowed, but now that we're just a hair away from photorealistic games, I miss the days when you could tell it was a game just by looking at it. I guess I miss the days when games looked unique, even if said uniqueness was just the result of technical limitations and not an actual artistic choice..as weird as that sounds.

2019's Call of Duty will be called Call of Duty: Modern Warfare. That news has been known for quite some time now, but it's been made official by Activision's somewhat surprising reveal of the game ahead of E3 2019. 

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare is being developed by Infinity Ward (the studio responsible for the Modern Warfare series) with help from Raven Software and Beenox. As previously suspected, this is not a direct sequel to Modern Warfare 3 nor is it a remake of the original game in the franchise (that already exists). Instead, it's described as a re-imagining of the franchise which sounds awfully similar to how God of War fits into that series. You'll even see some familiar faces from previous games in the series. 

Part of the reason why Infinity War have chosen to go this route is that they felt there were no more stakes left at the end of Modern Warfare 3 due to how much chaos had transpired since the start of the series. This new Modern Warfare will take what the developers refer to as a "ripped from the headlines" approach that sounds like it will ground the series more than we've seen with some recent installments. 

That approach includes the ability to play as both traditional (mostly Western) military forces as well as freedom fighters. PC Gamer got a look at one of these freedom fighter sections of the game and described it as being "bizarre." The sequence in question featured a young girl whose family had been murdered by a Russian soldier (it was a flashback) who decides to get revenge on the fleeing soldier. It's not quite clear at this time how much time will be spent between these two campaigns. 

The good news is that both campaign sections seem to feature the kind of intense gameplay that the best Modern Warfare campaigns are known for. On top of that, you'll be able to play the campaign with a friend thanks to the return of a co-op mode named "Elite Operations." Sadly, we know much less about the game's other multiplayer options. Activision has said that all of the game's modes will offer an "immersive narrative experience," but it's not quite clear what that means at this time.

It also doesn't sound like Modern Warfare will feature a version of Black Ops IV's battle royale mode, but nothing has been confirmed either way. With a new Black Ops reportedly coming in 2020, though, we'd guess Blackout might skip a year. The good news is that the game's multiplayer modes will support full cross-platform play with PC play being exclusive to Battle.net. 

The above article quoted is from a different website and author to the one below.

Strangely, I've already seen one article complaining about this game (From the "Journalist" who is well known for sucking at playing through the Cuphead tutorial.) and how it depicts woman being killed. A very sad but still very real part of war. The article seems to have made the interest for the game grow.

Modern Warfare is bloody, but it’s not a sea of blood spraying everywhere. But sometimes the medium is the message. Sometimes the horror of a particular scene outweighs the point that you’re trying to make. There may be a message in what the developers intend, but it might be overshadowed.

I think of the anti-war movie Apocalypse Now, which had the memorable Ride of the Valkyries scene, where a mad colonel orders an attack on a Vietnamese village so that his guys can surf. I was an excellent commentary on the insanity of war. But it was executed so well as a combat scene that, in my opinion, it probably inspired a lot of young people to enlist in the military. Art can often have unintentional effects. And that is why my favorite quote is from Kurt Vonnegut’s Mother Night, where an American spy does his cover job of being a Nazi propagandist too well. The line is, “We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be.”

This is supposed to be a video game. It will undoubtedly have a multiplayer element, where players shoot each other for fun and have a hell of a time doing it. That’s when we’ll see that “guns are the star of the show.” And the incongruity of it all will be clear.

The overall dramatic effect of the intense scenes should be memorable and artistic. Not gratuitous or base. The developers can fall back on the argument that this is our world. Their game is “ripped from the headlines.” But this puts us on a slippery slope toward a lot of things. What about school shootings? What about Christchurch? Do we want to put those in video games because they exist in the real world?

This preview requires us to trust the developer. But in this case, Infinity Ward has not delivered as well as its sister studios Treyarch and Sledgehammer Games. The studio keeps skating closer to the edge in order to make us uncomfortable. We can view that cynically. As gamers, we don’t necessarily trust Infinity Ward to deliver an elevated experience, given the pressures it is under.

Sometimes you have to judge something on just what your eyes tell you. And my vote is that this single-player campaign should not ship with these scenes.

Soooo they're going back to the shock factor of the first two Modern Warfare games? Stuff like, No Russian and the nuke from MW1? 

It's... A weird change considering the current state of the franchise, but if done right I'd say it'll bring some new life to Call of Duty. If done wrong then it'll be ass.

Loved Infinite Warfare's campaign so I trust Infinity Ward. Especially after Black Ops 4's disappointing well everything.

And no season pass+free DLC+fucking crossplay holy shit, all of that caught me way off-guard.

16 hours ago, McGroose said:

Pentagon propaganda.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Blue Wisp said:

And no season pass+free DLC+fucking crossplay holy shit, all of that caught me way off-guard.

Not a real shock when their real money makers have been from recurrent user spending 

Welp, they had to press the panic button sooner or later. Infinity Ward had a pretty poor streak of CoD games lately. After MW2 they've made MW3, which, while still good, was a somewhat noticable drop in quality; Ghosts, which was a messy cross-gen game, and Infinite Warfare, which did poorly, even though I'm seeing more people liking the game's campaign (haven't played it, so I don't know). IW had poor rep this gen, so they pushed the panic button and got quite an amount of important people from Respawn Entertainment (aka people that worked on MW2, MW1) and even a Narrative Director taken from Naughty Dog.

This trailer doesn't give the previews any sort of justice. Like, if I only saw the trailer, I would be very cynical of the game's campaign, but the previews are making this a pretty interesting situation. For one thing, I'm glad that (if that's the case) the campaign looks to be more grounded and not the bombastic Michael Bay-ass Mountain Dew-filled power fantasy. Going for the shock factor ala No Russian or the nuke (or even the chemical attack in Paris in MW3), cranking it up to 11, not making the campaign a white-and-black affair, but more of a grey-area affair sounds promising too. No season pass, crossplay, free DLC - too good to be true (and it is, cuz MTs are confirmed with the PC pre-order page stating that the expensive edition will give you 3k COD Points).

Overall, while still not too excited, at least it looks more interesting than anything since, well, BO2. I really hope the campaign is actually worth a damn.

1 hour ago, KHCast said:

Not a real shock when their real money makers have been from recurrent user spending 

Coming from Activision it's the last thing I expected.

Well that's what you get when you have high demands and your games don't deliver because you're greedy as fuck.