Awoo.

Sonic and Amy's marriage in final Sonic game (future Sonic series)

SonicXtremeMania

I wonder Sonic will propose Amy and they will get married at like a final Sonic game in the future? At least Sega could let Sonic and Amy start dating in future Sonic games and offcourse IDW Sonic comics too.

Much like many other mascots Imagine they will never get married. Mickey and Minnie are just in a relationship and that's about as far as it will probably go. It may even reset, or maybe even be removed.

Sonic is a forever brand, unless something terrible happens, no one is planning for sonic to " end "

edit: note that , the a lot of the developer's, creators and designers that designed sonic as a brand, primarily for young boys. And some have explicitly mentioned something like " Sonic is a boy and a boy at heart " when responding to these sorts of things. So Its most likely such things will never happen. For any of the characters. Girls are "Icky " so sonic runs away, so he can relate to their primary demo young boys. Its as simple as that.

• Thumbs Up 4

1 hour ago, Shadowlax said:

Girls are "Icky " so sonic runs away, so he can relate to their primary demo young boys. Its as simple as that.

Sonic isn't 5 years old, man. He's a teenager. 

Naka already confirmed that Sonic runs from Amy out of shyness, not that he finds her 'icky' (though that scene in Generations implies he simply doesn't care about her)

That scene in episode 52 of Sonic X pretty much confirms Sonic indeed has feelings for Amy.

Unleashed gave the player an option to agree to take Amy on a date (though it was never shown) 

Black Knight's ending had Sonic late for his date with Amy.

There was a 'love mission' in 06 that gave the player the option to choose Amy.

Boom also heavily implied Sonic reciprocated Amy's feelings, and of course there was that Q&A on twitter last week that hinted at it as well. I get (very subtle) SonAmy vibes from the IDW comics too.

I doubt Sonic will EVER marry Amy, or even kiss her (maybe in a daydream by Amy) but to say Sonic has no interest in girls is silly. (Sonic flat out wolf-whistled at Lumina in Sonic Shuffle, and if you want to go outside the japanese canon, there's Sally, Sara and various one-off characters in episodes of Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog) 

Also, Elise says hi.

• Thumbs Up 5
  • Chuckle 1

I can say 99% for sure promise you there will never be a official "final game" made for the Sonic franchise lore, especially not in this series that doesn't care strongly about it's own story & lore. Sonic is made as a mascot product first for the company and will keep getting made until it isn't profitable anymore or the company goes out of business. Assuming it doesn't get sold to somebody else and or just forgotten in time... and as such the story doesn't matter enough to ever give it a real ending.

Even when Sonic's story ends, that doesn't mean he'll stop running. He will never settle or slow for even a moment.

Also, long-running (heh) franchises don't get a "final game."

• Thumbs Up 2

Well Sonic does date Amy and loves her very much and Sonic's not the type of guy who would propose as he doesn't feel there is a need for it and just live together freely.

3 hours ago, Myst said:

Sonic isn't 5 years old, man. He's a teenager. 

Ok right. I like sonic. My favorite character is shadow. i like shadow because he's this character who comes from an era where some platforms like ratchet, jak and sly, that offered more emotional depth and investment than normal. Shadow's character arc, is genuinely interesting and due to to complexity of his character compared to the rest of the cast and normal platforming characters allows him to be versitile and allows him to be used to address interesting topics if featured in media and used correctly.

Sonic is a franchise for children, most of the characters act like children, but are technically teens so that kids can relate to them. Kinda like old archie, if sonic and co acted like teens, like current archie sonic would be a different friggin series. The target demo is children, particularly young boys. Girls are icky, sonic runs.

3 hours ago, Myst said:

Naka already confirmed that Sonic runs from Amy out of shyness, not that he finds her 'icky' (though that scene in Generations implies he simply doesn't care about her)

Naka also doesn't work on the series anymore, and IIRC more recent explanations like in forces is that " sonic doesn't care about that stuff " the series in general outside of rouge getting to flirt with people has largely moved away from such things.

3 hours ago, Myst said:

That scene in episode 52 of Sonic X pretty much confirms Sonic indeed has feelings for Amy.

Not canon and defo not relevant to anything now

3 hours ago, Myst said:

Unleashed gave the player an option to agree to take Amy on a date (though it was never shown) 

This is kinda interesting, but given where the franchise is, its largely meaningless.

3 hours ago, Myst said:

Black Knight's ending had Sonic late for his date with Amy.

Not canon

3 hours ago, Myst said:

There was a 'love mission' in 06 that gave the player the option to choose Amy.

Tried to indulge in romance, and that was one of the reasons its considered one of the worst games in the series. And retcons itself out of being canon, and isn't referenced by sega.

3 hours ago, Myst said:

Boom also heavily implied Sonic reciprocated Amy's feelings, and of course there was that Q&A on twitter last week that hinted at it as well. I get (very subtle) SonAmy vibes from the IDW comics too.

Boom not canon

The Q&A are hella not canon, come on now.

Ian Flynn will tell you himself " We aren't doing any of that romance stuff in this comic, so read it how you want " I personally got the idea that amy likes sonic. But not the reverse. 

3 hours ago, Myst said:

I doubt Sonic will EVER marry Amy, or even kiss her (maybe in a daydream by Amy) but to say Sonic has no interest in girls is silly. (Sonic flat out wolf-whistled at Lumina in Sonic Shuffle, and if you want to go outside the japanese canon, there's Sally, Sara and various one-off characters in episodes of Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog) 

Outside interpretations don't matter. I don't think anything in sonic shuffle matters. He has no interest in women, the character is largely aesexual outside of the basic comedic interaction of run away from girl. And the series is moving more and more in that direction as time goes on.

Sonic has no interest in women largely because its not relevant to the franchise, that's it.

3 hours ago, Myst said:

Also, Elise says hi.

See my 06 explanation above.

2 hours ago, Shadowlax said:

Ok right. I like sonic. My favorite character is shadow. i like shadow because he's this character who comes from an era where some platforms like ratchet, jak and sly, that offered more emotional depth and investment than normal. Shadow's character arc, is genuinely interesting and due to to complexity of his character compared to the rest of the cast and normal platforming characters allows him to be versitile and allows him to be used to address interesting topics if featured in media and used correctly.

Sonic is a franchise for children, most of the characters act like children, but are technically teens so that kids can relate to them. Kinda like old archie, if sonic and co acted like teens, like current archie sonic would be a different friggin series. The target demo is children, particularly young boys. Girls are icky, sonic runs.

Naka also doesn't work on the series anymore, and IIRC more recent explanations like in forces is that " sonic doesn't care about that stuff " the series in general outside of rouge getting to flirt with people has largely moved away from such things.

Not canon and defo not relevant to anything now

This is kinda interesting, but given where the franchise is, its largely meaningless.

Not canon

Tried to indulge in romance, and that was one of the reasons its considered one of the worst games in the series. And retcons itself out of being canon, and isn't referenced by sega.

Boom not canon

The Q&A are hella not canon, come on now.

Ian Flynn will tell you himself " We aren't doing any of that romance stuff in this comic, so read it how you want " I personally got the idea that amy likes sonic. But not the reverse. 

Outside interpretations don't matter. I don't think anything in sonic shuffle matters. He has no interest in women, the character is largely aesexual outside of the basic comedic interaction of run away from girl. And the series is moving more and more in that direction as time goes on.

Sonic has no interest in women largely because its not relevant to the franchise, that's it.

See my 06 explanation above.

Well if you wanna get super picky & technical about it, I mean yeah, you are right, I'm just saying in regards to the history of the character in general, in game, animation and print form, Sonic has shown interest in the opposite sex plenty of times, regardless of whether or not us Sonic nerds go 'dur not canon'

Sonic X still happened, the comics still happened, Boom happened, 06 happened, Unleashed still happened. All official products direct from Sega. The Q&A thing last week was on the official verfied Sonic twitter account.

It's funny Ian would say that given the second issue was titled 'Can love bloom on the battlefield?' very small stuff, but there's been hints in the comic.

Again, I doubt Sonic & Amy will ever be a 'thing' but she's largely seen as the love interest of the franchise, with hints dropped throughout the series. I think that's really as far as Sonic's love life will go. Hints. But it sure would be nice to have another scene like that one in episode 52 of X.

• Thumbs Up 2

Also this topic reminded me of this scene from the Simpsons. Haha!

XZi9OrL.png

The closest thing Sonic x Amy fans are going to get when it comes with the 2 getting married. =p

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Nice Smile 1
  • Chuckle 2

2 hours ago, Shadowlax said:

The target demo is children, particularly young boys. Girls are icky, sonic runs.

And yet, from his inception, Sonic was originally designed to have a girlfriend. Madonna is a thing in the concept art.

Then, enter Amy Rose. A blatantly obvious fan-girl who brought the idea of romance into the forefront. Couple that with Tiara a few years after that, who has been on the record confirmed to be designed as a love interest for Sonic. Enter Elise, obvious love interest. Enter Blaze, shiptease ahoy.

That "Girls are icky" approach doesn't even hold up in the face of the games, let alone the franchise at large. Sonic may try to always play it cool, and avoid mushy mellowdrama, but lets not pretend like he's afraid of catching cooties or something. The dude has, and has always intended to be, a mingler with the female cast. You can't ignore generations worth of intention that constantly pair Sonic up with one of his female friends.

• Thumbs Up 7
  • Absolutely 1

7 hours ago, Shadowlax said:

Girls are "Icky " so sonic runs away, so he can relate to their primary demo young boys. Its as simple as that.

Literally the one girl he runs away from is pushy as fuck with her affection.

• Thumbs Up 7

1 hour ago, Zaysho said:

Literally the one girl he runs away from is pushy as fuck with her affection.

That's true. But I think that's sort of the point of that interaction. She was the first girl character, and the representative of " girl " character for them, was literally pink, love obsessed and pushy and getting in the way of "adventure."  And that's sort of the dynamic sonic has had with romance, ( and a lot of the guy characters in general ) in a lot of game interpretations.  Obviously there are more girls now and all romance potential in the series has died down besides " rouge says something weird to knuckles or shadow and they don't respond ". But that being the first interaction kind of colors the rest of the series and how it kinda of treats romance in general.

So when I forget the man's name but when the guy says on twitter " Sonic has the heart of a boy and is unconcerned about such things " I think " girls are icky " sums that up nice.

1 hour ago, Sega DogTagz said:

And yet, from his inception, Sonic was originally designed to have a girlfriend. Madonna is a thing in the concept art.

And he was supposed to be rabbit, things change.

Then, enter Amy Rose. A blatantly obvious fan-girl who brought the idea of romance into the forefront. Couple that with Tiara a few years after that, who has been on the record confirmed to be designed as a love interest for Sonic. Enter Elise, obvious love interest. Enter Blaze, shiptease ahoy.

Blaze IIRC doesn't really have any romantic anything with sonic and a lot of that is english translation. And dies down even harder with the introduction of silver. And that in itself is a brother sister relationship. Tiara doesn't exist. And

Elise is an embarrassment that they never went back to.

That "Girls are icky" approach doesn't even hold up in the face of the games, let alone the franchise at large. Sonic may try to always play it cool, and avoid mushy mellowdrama, but lets not pretend like he's afraid of catching cooties or something. The dude has, and has always intended to be, a mingler with the female cast. You can't ignore generations worth of intention that constantly pair Sonic up with one of his female friends.

I'm not saying you can't look at like some pre-release stuff gather some information about what was thought at the time. But this is a situation when that's really hard because they actively for the most part decide against it or ignore it. A lot of the romance stuff is brought up by the western branches through translation or through media licensing, which for a while promptly got ignored, or banned in the case of the comic.

There aren't generations of intentions, there were a bunch of misreads. But largely sonic is an asexual character.

And not for nothing, and this isn't directed to you, I find that a large amount of the people who genuinely care about this are people who really care for some odd reason that a cartoon blue hedgehog is a " Player " . Its kinda weird to me to be quite honest, reads as some self insert shit. Sonic largely doesn't care, heck, maybe he even actually likes boys. I dunno. But as a character, he's largely not a romance kinda guy. When Ken Spoke his peace on twitter there were a lot of people who just strait up said sonic is probably asexual or at least romance averse. I think there a lot more people who read that as their interpretation and are going with that as you may realize.

1 hour ago, Myst said:

Well if you wanna get super picky & technical about it, I mean yeah, you are right, I'm just saying in regards to the history of the character in general, in game, animation and print form, Sonic has shown interest in the opposite sex plenty of times, regardless of whether or not us Sonic nerds go 'dur not canon'

And sonic has been an abhorrent peice of shit in both the archie and fleetway and its very clear those aren't representations of sonic that are not very canon to the character. There is no " der not canon " There " This isn't representative of what they wanted to do with the character, and it was largely ignored, it shouldn't really be brought up.

Sonic X still happened, the comics still happened, Boom happened, 06 happened, Unleashed still happened. All official products direct from Sega.

Cool, none of that stuff is relevant to how they want the character. And are for the most part actively ignored. And in some cases condemned, like boom. Just because it happened, doesn't mean its relevant. Companies make mistakes all the time and throw shit under the buss and try to forget it. If they didn't , the introduction of captain marvel to the avengers would have been very different. ( Google avengers 200 )

The Q&A thing last week was on the official verfied Sonic twitter account.

Its a goofy twitter thing for fun dude. Shadow doesn't actually want to open up a cat orphanage, are you fucking kidding me.

It's funny Ian would say that given the second issue was titled 'Can love bloom on the battlefield?' very small stuff, but there's been hints in the comic.

Metal Gear Solid is a fun video game to reference.

Again, I doubt Sonic & Amy will ever be a 'thing' but she's largely seen as the love interest of the franchise, with hints dropped throughout the series. I think that's really as far as Sonic's love life will go. Hints. But it sure would be nice to have another scene like that one in episode 52 of X.

I'm not saying amy isn't the love interest. She's the minnie mouse so to speak. I'm just saying sonic will probably never show an active interest in her. And maybe in future depending on who gets control of what sonic is in future... maybe even dropped. Sonic team might not be incontrol of what sonic is forever, things maybe change.

• Thumbs Up 1

21 minutes ago, Shadowlax said:

Sonic has the heart of a boy and is unconcerned about such things " I think " girls are icky " sums that up nice.

I'm pretty sure "not caring" and "actively avoiding" are 2 different thing.

And he doesn't even actively avoid Amy anymore due to her being toned down.

7 minutes ago, StaticMania said:

And he doesn't even actively avoid Amy anymore due to her being toned down.

The romance in the series has been toned down in general as I mentioned. Thus he doesn't need to run away, it just isn't really addressed much anymore.

The mid 2000s era, particularly stuff like those small moments in Unleashed/Black Knight, do kind of feel like they were rethinking their stance on Sonic and romance to some extent. It also makes sense with how Sonic's characterization had shifted during that era, he was a lot more chill (as was Amy later on).

Now I can't say I mind how that didn't stick, but it is kind of interesting to look back on.

• Thumbs Up 2

36 minutes ago, Gumbit said:

I think Amy is finally accepted to be just friend with Sonic 😛

Amy friendzoned.png

Sonic will say "Amy this is no time to play" when hit by her so there is still hope that Amy can flirt with Sonic in the games.

Amy is quite literally the only female character Sonic has returned interest in. It was always slight/mild, but it was there. I always read it as one of those "maybe one day when they both have their shit together" things and not something that we'd see in a game though.

They probably won't definitively end the series, but if they do I could see them throwing that angle a bone without doing anything explict.

• Thumbs Up 2

"NOTHING IS RELEVANT TO MY HISTORY IF IT DOESN'T SUPPORT MY ALWAYS-EXISTING FEELINGS HOW GIRLS IS GROSS WITH COOTIES NAD SHADOW IS KEWLEST"

- Sonic

17 hours ago, SonicXtremeMania said:

I wonder Sonic will propose Amy and they will get married at like a final Sonic game in the future? At least Sega could let Sonic and Amy start dating in future Sonic games and offcourse IDW Sonic comics too.

Even when the Amy stalker girlfriend story interactions were in full swing in the series, it was never supposed to be anything more than an extended anime-esque joke. Occasionally it was explored a (tiny) bit more than that like in Sonic X, but even if the last Sonic game ever made came out when the self-titled girlfriend character trait was still highly prevalent in Amy it's probably fair to say that they never would have actually done anything more with it.

Nah, if anything, the fact that they toned down Amy's obsession now, kinda makes me think Sega actually wants them to be a proper ship (not an official couple though). But yeah marriage? It's not Sonic's lifestyle.

While Yuji Naka doesn't work on the series anymore its not to far off to say that Sega considers Single Sonic to be canon Sonic and that his love for freedom and running trumps over all. even when he has shown to might be attracted to other a few characters (Amy, Princess Elise ect)

He just isn't the type to marry and settle down he cares and loves his friends but he doesn't want to be in love, and consider the romance mess that was shown in the older Archie comic books I just want Sonic to stay far away from romance-drama myself and this comes from a sonamy, sonally shipper. Leave that sort of stuff to the fans and shippers.

They already have dated on some occasions. The player can choose to accept or reject Amy’s offer of a date in Unleashed. Sonic also outright missed a planned date with her in Black Knight.