Awoo.

Sonic and Amy's marriage in final Sonic game (future Sonic series)

SonicXtremeMania

I wish Sega could at least let Sonic would let Amy to be his girlfriend soon.

20 hours ago, Shadowlax said:

And he was supposed to be rabbit, things change.

But unlike Sonic's potentially being a rabbit, the idea to give Sonic a legit 100% love interest has popped up no less than 3 times over 3 different games. That's not an accident.

Elise is an embarrassment that they never went back to.

and? It happened. Just because it sucked doesn't mean we get to ignore it. Especially when we are having a conversation about the apparent intent of the parent company. They put that product out there knowing full well how people would interpret that as a "relationship".

I'm not saying you can't look at like some pre-release stuff gather some information about what was thought at the time. But this is a situation when that's really hard because they actively for the most part decide against it or ignore it. A lot of the romance stuff is brought up by the western branches through translation or through media licensing, which for a while promptly got ignored, or banned in the case of the comic.

Even you can't ignore it as a reoccurring theme though. When your just looking at Sega, a handful of people who are in charge of a handful of projects decided that it would be a good idea to give Sonic a girlfriend. Some of that didn't make it past pre-release, but a lot of it did (namely Elise and Amy). That's not a mistranslation and that's not embellishment of license holders. That is blatant intent. Somebody somewhere thought it would be a good idea.

There aren't generations of intentions, there were a bunch of misreads. But largely sonic is an asexual character.

How can you even come to that conclusion though? Sonic as a franchise isn't and shouldn't be focused pairing off characters to any radical degree, but the parent company has shown that it is willing, capable and able to do so to fit a narrative - and has doubled down on that end by creating multiple female characters to fill that role.

Sonic is not asexual. He's just in a series that doesn't need to focus on that aspect of his life.

And not for nothing, and this isn't directed to you, I find that a large amount of the people who genuinely care about this are people who really care for some odd reason that a cartoon blue hedgehog is a " Player " . Its kinda weird to me to be quite honest, reads as some self insert shit. Sonic largely doesn't care, heck, maybe he even actually likes boys. I dunno. But as a character, he's largely not a romance kinda guy. When Ken Spoke his peace on twitter there were a lot of people who just strait up said sonic is probably asexual or at least romance averse. I think there a lot more people who read that as their interpretation and are going with that as you may realize.

Of course Sonic is romance averse. Romance kind of conflicts with one of his most prominent character traits. That kind of goes without saying.

But there is no reason to leverage that as asexual, or even bi - especially considering that Sega has dumped multiple female partners in his lap in the games alone. That reads as more self-insert garbage than leaning in the other direction which at the very least has some precedent in the other, non-sega mediums.

2 hours ago, Sega DogTagz said:

But unlike Sonic's potentially being a rabbit, the idea to give Sonic a legit 100% love interest has popped up no less than 3 times over 3 different games. That's not an accident.

3 times?

It's happened once, the other 2 were scrapped during concept.

On 6/1/2019 at 5:59 PM, Shadowlax said:

Much like many other mascots Imagine they will never get married. Mickey and Minnie are just in a relationship and that's about as far as it will probably go. It may even reset, or maybe even be removed.

Sonic is a forever brand, unless something terrible happens, no one is planning for sonic to " end "

edit: note that , the a lot of the developer's, creators and designers that designed sonic as a brand, primarily for young boys. And some have explicitly mentioned something like " Sonic is a boy and a boy at heart " when responding to these sorts of things. So Its most likely such things will never happen. For any of the characters. Girls are "Icky " so sonic runs away, so he can relate to their primary demo young boys. Its as simple as that.

Essentially.

On 6/1/2019 at 7:53 PM, Myst said:

Naka already confirmed that Sonic runs from Amy out of shyness, not that he finds her 'icky' (though that scene in Generations implies he simply doesn't care about her)

Which scene now?

Boom also heavily implied Sonic reciprocated Amy's feelings, and of course there was that Q&A on twitter last week that hinted at it as well. I get (very subtle) SonAmy vibes from the IDW comics too.

Boom is a different universe, though.

Sonic flat out wolf-whistled at Lumina in Sonic Shuffle, 

Oh, did he now?

On 6/1/2019 at 11:20 PM, Shadowlax said:

Ok right. I like sonic. My favorite character is shadow. i like shadow because he's this character who comes from an era where some platforms like ratchet, jak and sly, that offered more emotional depth and investment than normal. Shadow's character arc, is genuinely interesting and due to to complexity of his character compared to the rest of the cast and normal platforming characters allows him to be versitile and allows him to be used to address interesting topics if featured in media and used correctly.

Relevance.

On 6/1/2019 at 11:20 PM, Shadowlax said:

Not canon

Secret Rings is canon, so I don't see why Black Knight wouldn't be.

On 6/2/2019 at 1:37 AM, Myst said:

It's funny Ian would say that given the second issue was titled 'Can love bloom on the battlefield?' very small stuff, but there's been hints in the comic.

Again, I doubt Sonic & Amy will ever be a 'thing' but she's largely seen as the love interest of the franchise, with hints dropped throughout the series. I think that's really as far as Sonic's love life will go. Hints. But it sure would be nice to have another scene like that one in episode 52 of X.

That's because it's Amy's character.

On 6/2/2019 at 1:50 AM, Lord-Dreamerz said:

Also this topic reminded me of this scene from the Simpsons. Haha!

XZi9OrL.png

The closest thing Sonic x Amy fans are going to get when it comes with the 2 getting married. =p

Whyyy?!  :joy:

On 6/2/2019 at 1:50 AM, Sega DogTagz said:

And yet, from his inception, Sonic was originally designed to have a girlfriend. Madonna is a thing in the concept art.

Then, enter Amy Rose. A blatantly obvious fan-girl who brought the idea of romance into the forefront. Couple that with Tiara a few years after that, who has been on the record confirmed to be designed as a love interest for Sonic. Enter Elise, obvious love interest. Enter Blaze, shiptease ahoy.

That "Girls are icky" approach doesn't even hold up in the face of the games, let alone the franchise at large. Sonic may try to always play it cool, and avoid mushy mellowdrama, but lets not pretend like he's afraid of catching cooties or something. The dude has, and has always intended to be, a mingler with the female cast. You can't ignore generations worth of intention that constantly pair Sonic up with one of his female friends.

But yeah, Sonic has flirted with almost every girl in this series.

On 6/2/2019 at 3:04 AM, Shadowlax said:

Blaze IIRC doesn't really have any romantic anything with sonic and a lot of that is english translation.

Oh really? 

Companies make mistakes all the time and throw shit under the buss and try to forget it. If they didn't , the introduction of captain marvel to the avengers would have been very different. ( Google avengers 200 )

Or better yet, don't. 

Man that cover.

Its a goofy twitter thing for fun dude. Shadow doesn't actually want to open up a cat orphanage, are you fucking kidding me.

In before the next appearance has Shadow mention feeding his putties.

On 6/2/2019 at 3:25 AM, Gumbit said:

I think Amy is finally accepted to be just friend with Sonic 😛

Amy friendzoned.png

Yeah, I saw that.

On 6/2/2019 at 4:06 AM, Fire-N-Space said:

Sonic will say "Amy this is no time to play" when hit by her so there is still hope that Amy can flirt with Sonic in the games.

On 6/2/2019 at 8:50 AM, Tornado said:

"NOTHING IS RELEVANT TO MY HISTORY IF IT DOESN'T SUPPORT MY ALWAYS-EXISTING FEELINGS HOW GIRLS IS GROSS WITH COOTIES NAD SHADOW IS KEWLEST"

- Sonic

On 6/2/2019 at 8:50 AM, Tornado said:

"NOTHING IS RELEVANT TO MY HISTORY IF IT DOESN'T SUPPORT MY ALWAYS-EXISTING FEELINGS HOW GIRLS IS GROSS WITH COOTIES NAD SHADOW IS KEWLEST"

- Sonic

Rent Free, huh.

1 hour ago, DabigRG said:

Relevance.

A joke ( Problably done poorly I apologize ) and the point of the joke being " Hey i'm the guy who likes the edgy serious character. Even i'm like none of this is actually leading to things or matters or is indicative of anything its a franchise for kids maybe most of the relationships are platonic for that reason.

6 minutes ago, Shadowlax said:

Rent Free, huh.

A joke ( Problably done poorly I apologize ) and the point of the joke being " Hey i'm the guy who likes the edgy serious character. Even i'm like none of this is actually leading to things or matters or is indicative of anything its a franchise for kids maybe most of the relationships are platonic for that reason.

Oh, okay, so you knew. :lol: 

It read funnily back to back.

18 hours ago, StaticMania said:

3 times?

It's happened once, the other 2 were scrapped during concept.

Amy happened - You could count her multiple times where she was included primarily as a love interest, Sonic CD, Sonic Heroes, if you really wanted to, you could easily stretch this to 4 or 5 of her appearances.

Elise happened. That is another one.

Tiara made it way past concept stage.

and if you really want to get picky, Lah was made in house by SEGA and was a love interest for the Werehog. So there goes another one too.

A bunch got scrapped during concept, but a bunch made it all the way through too. Its an obvious reoccurring theme.

• Thumbs Up 1

17 hours ago, Shadowlax said:

Rent Free, huh.

As such a bastion of intellectual honesty, it seems like your time would be better spent responding to the posts that directly challenged your arguments in this thread rather than ignoring them in favor of taking empty potshots at someone noting that you're once again picking and choosing proof with the only importance being whether you think you can twist them to support your argument, but that's just me.

How's being the actual person behind every facet of the entire franchise for its entire 29 years working out for you, by the way?

Edited by Tornado

... Can't we just settle on "Sonic doesn't have feelings for anybody" and let it be that? It was proven time to time that Sonic The Hedgehog is not a series for romance. Amy has feelings for him but Sonic doesn't want anything with anybody. It just works Sonic being an asexual character. So he is truly the embodiment of freedom. Relationship means commitment and comprimise. Which Sonic wants none. We don't need a love interest for the main character on this one. Kids don't care about it. Neither adults.

1 hour ago, Tornado said:

As such a bastion of intellectual honesty, it seems like your time would be better spent responding to the posts that directly challenged your arguments in this thread rather than ignoring them in favor of taking empty potshots at someone noting that you're once again picking and choosing proof with the only importance being whether you think you can twist them to support your argument, but that's just me.

Its chill? I had this argument before, and they are allowed to think what they think. Don't need to have to have the last word. Its a kids thing, its whatever at the end of the day. You can just drop arguments. Also the thing you are describing is called rhetoric, it is the basics for arguing a point. Its chill dude.

How's being the actual person behind every facet of the entire franchise for its entire 29 years working out for you, by the way?

Oh no, you found out I am secretly iizuka. Well to answer you question it sucks. Sega overworks my teams and then everyone blames me for what follows. And this has been a continuous cycle for over a decade. I wanna make games that aren't sonic, send help, they have me trapped here in the sega dungeons. The walls are made of rotting dreamcasts.

53 minutes ago, JosepHenry said:

Relationship means commitment and comprimise.

Friendship means commitment and compromise too. Obviously of a different sort than a committed romantic relationship, but if Sonic's managed to maintain friendships with his independent, wandering nature, I wouldn't say romance is entirely off the table. And the idea that romance is just something that'd hold him back and chain him down is...honestly pretty depressing. If we can be expected to believe a talking hedgehog can fight off gods and aliens I think we can at least believe that a relationship could be mutually empowering and uplifting.

That said I'm not exactly going to be upset if they decide that Sonic is going to continue not being interested in that sort of thing. Not every character needs to be paired up, not every series needs to make romance a priority, and there's more important things for the writers to work on first anyway.

• Thumbs Up 5
  • Fist Bump 1

19 minutes ago, Shadowlax said:

Also the thing you are describing is called rhetoric, it is the basics for arguing a point.

It explains so much that you think that's what rhetoric is.

You do you, I guess.

I think it's as simple as Sonic finding someone with both the ability and the desire to travel around as much as he does. 

It'd...honestly be kind of a fun switch of dynamic if Sonic found someone like that and found himself catching feelings. Not that it has to go to full on romance or even that it has to be taken all that seriously. We're just pretty used to Sonic being respected, admired, looked up to etc. that it'd be fun to see him in that position. 

It's not that simple.

Every character in this series is almost as nomadic as Sonic is.

I'm quite certain Amy doesn't mind, despite her city livin'...she's just immature.

Maybe Sonic would be into someone who's "that" and mature.

As mature as he is anyway.

You could also do a complete 180 and find someone who fits the bill by not constantly nipping at his heels. A character that appreciates his freedom lifestyle, while at the same time needing no more than the time in-between adventures to see each other if at all. A long distance relationship that is removed from the series narrative would fit in fine. You wouldn't need to address the "where is your girlfriend" take every time one of them appears, because its understood that they live apart.

I mean we have two options here either way. You either find a character who can keep up with him... which frankly is no one. Or we find a character who lets him run. Sounds like a no brainier to me.

4 minutes ago, Sega DogTagz said:

You could also do a complete 180 and find someone who fits the bill by not constantly nipping at his heels. A character that appreciates his freedom lifestyle, while at the same time needing no more than the time in-between adventures to see each other if at all. A long distance relationship that is removed from the series narrative would fit in fine. You wouldn't need to address the "where is your girlfriend" take every time one of them appears, because its understood that they live apart.

I mean we have two options here either way. You either find a character who can keep up with him... which frankly is no one. Or we find a character who lets him run. Sounds like a no brainier to me.

Sonic told us he had a girlfriend who lives in Canada, but we just figured he was lying.

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/4/2019 at 3:29 PM, Wraith said:

I think it's as simple as Sonic finding someone with both the ability and the desire to travel around as much as he does. 

It'd...honestly be kind of a fun switch of dynamic if Sonic found someone like that and found himself catching feelings. Not that it has to go to full on romance or even that it has to be taken all that seriously. We're just pretty used to Sonic being respected, admired, looked up to etc. that it'd be fun to see him in that position. 

On 6/4/2019 at 4:48 PM, Sega DogTagz said:

I want a story where Amy is given Sonic's speed and has to decide if she wants to adopt his lifestyle. She's given everything she wanted and Sonic's unavailability is removed, and she has to decide if she wants it to be the new normal. But that would be interesting and wouldn't require the introduction of a new throwaway buddy character, so nevermind.

During Sonic's 30th anniversary maybe Sonic will finally have Amy as his new girlfriend if Sega/Sonic Team says okay if Sonic and Amy are finally together.

If they EVER went down that route all I ask is they mix pink and blue together create a purple offspring and we can finally make Cold Steel canon.