Awoo.

SpongeBob Battle for Bikini Bottom remaster announced!

8ther

Hope we at least get a trailer concurrent to E3…uuuunless there isn’t any gameplay to show off yet. In that case, I’m not mad.

• Thumbs Up 1

This is one of the best things I've heard all year and I can't wait.

It's worth pointing out that the press release for this game called it a remake, not a remaster. Some might argue this isn't a big deal, but considering how throughly the Crash and Spyro remakes have buggered and distorted the use of the term "remaster" when relation to video games, I'd prefer the correct terminology to be used - especially when the publisher is using that terminology.

Otherwise, eh. I never played BFBB back in the day, and I'm honestly surprised that there was demand for a remake. And you can disagree with me on this, but I think the whole "remake all the old good games" trend from the last few years has now just gotten silly with this announcement. I can understand the desire to remake quintessential classics or redo old gems that deserve a second chance, but remaking a fairly well-liked licensed game (in lieu of a port, which would likely go down just as well if not better since it would be the exact same game instead of being a reinterpretation that's bound to change things by the very nature of its intent)?

Yeah, this is just taking the piss. I'd rather just have a good port and use the resources to make a new game - then you'd get the best of both worlds.

• Absolutely 1

I actually share a very similar opinion to @Apollo Chungus. I never thought a game like this one would have a demand for a remake.

I personally never played the game so I can't take some major opinion. Particularly, it's not a game I totally want or would buy, in fact, I have some other more memorable games such as Nicktoons: Battle for Volcano Island, and the own Spongebob: Light, Cameras, Pants! The first one is classified as mediocre (But I liked it at the time), the second one is considered very good.Talking about Nicktoons specifically, other one which I have some great time spent is The Fairly Odd Parents: Shadow Showdown, but once again, not so well received but a little better then Nicktoons.

But then, as @SupahBerry just reminded me, The Simpsons: Hit & Run would be also a pretty memorable game which I spent a lot of time playing, which also should be remade. In fact, it's just me look at my PS2 game collection which tons of names come into my mind: Need for Speed Underground 2, Star Wars Battlefront II (2005), Sonic Heroes (lol), Burnout 3, tons of LEGO games. Alright, say what you want but the PS2 era had the best games.

• Thumbs Up 1

I don't see why anyone would be surprised by this, because just because it's a licensed game doesn't change the fact that it's an insanely strong collect-a-thon game that not only holds as much nostalgia as something like SM64/Banjo for a lot of people (Considering BFBB would've been one of the few mainstream collect-a-thon games of the time as well, helped by being on three different consoles, plus being based on at the time - one of the most popular shows ever). But on top of that, people have clamoured for a remaster for BFBB for at least 5 years now from what I know of, specifically because it was an example of a brilliant licensed game.

Also, the game got a resurgence of popularity because BFBB has become a very popular speed-running game, with tons of tricks being discovered and worked around for the game, plus a wealth of cut content from it as well. 

As for the argument of "why would you not want the focus on a new game or whatever else", I mean, I don't mind either way. I would've liked a new game, sure, but if it means getting a game that I also loved as a kid, still love to this day, and get it with a ton of upgrades, and bells and whistles, then hell yeah. I'd take a good remaster of a great game over whatever licensed bullshit Spongebob has gotten under Activision's heels. 

And to be frank - even with Crash/Spyro being cited, I prefer their remasters to the originals. I legitimately think the only real plus that Spyro's original version has at this point is less glitches, and a higher FPS count. Crash, hell with him, I'd much rather play N Sane any day of the week, and I grew up playing the PS1 classics. Both remasters brought tons of enhancements and quality of life features that just makes them much better to play than the PS1 versions and I can't imagine myself going back again. Case and point, I never bother finishing Crash 1, I only did regular completion of Crash 2/3, and I didn't finish any Spyro PS1 games. Yet I 100%'d both of them because of their improvements in the remastered.

Because frankly, as good as these games are, they also age, and while they can remain fun to play, their annoyances can still remain just that, annoyances. If the remaster accurately and nicely recaptures the original fully, and expands on it, I'm all in on it. 

• Thumbs Up 3

2 hours ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

I don't see why anyone would be surprised by this, because just because it's a licensed game doesn't change the fact that it's an insanely strong collect-a-thon game that not only holds as much nostalgia as something like SM64/Banjo for a lot of people (Considering BFBB would've been one of the few mainstream collect-a-thon games of the time as well, helped by being on three different consoles, plus being based on at the time - one of the most popular shows ever). But on top of that, people have clamoured for a remaster for BFBB for at least 5 years now from what I know of, specifically because it was an example of a brilliant licensed game.

Also, the game got a resurgence of popularity because BFBB has become a very popular speed-running game, with tons of tricks being discovered and worked around for the game, plus a wealth of cut content from it as well. 

Question, Aside from the cut robot Squidward boss, were there any other major content that were cut?

Just now, 8ther said:

Question, Aside from the cut robot Squidward boss, were there any other major content that were cut?

There's an infamous level that got removed and turned into a joke in the proper game - Patrick's dream.

In the game proper, it's used as a joke to show that Patrick's brain is completely empty, it's literally just a black void with Patrick standing under a lightbulb, and if you talk to him, you automatically get the golden spatula for that level. However, originally, he had a full level based on his love of food. This level was also likely played by Patrick, making it the only level in the game where you can play as all three playable characters. Mrs. Puff was also here for some reason

The full code for the level remains in the game and can be hacked back into it. Doing so reveals the layout is done, and the level was mostly finished, as there is a golden spatula and it does work properly when collected, but the robots don't have proper coding (they only attack if you provoke it) and it was cut at an early stage because it has the original versions of the Tikis before they were redesigned. The skybox is also broken. I'd normally post the original version of the level, but the skybox is really trippy, so he's a modded fixed version.

There was also a planned Robo-Arms Spongebob fight: 

There's also an earlier version of Goo Lagoon with unused assets, and a few other things.

• Thumbs Up 3

And just look at all this concept art!

(I couldn’t find a hi-quality video of the art alone without talking. And I’d slap a picture but the software is stingier than Mr. Krabs.)

Anyways, some changes I hope they make are:

-Giving Patrick the cartwheel in case the levels call for it.

-Allowing Patrick to sneak past Sleepy-Times undetected in case he doesn’t have anything to throw

-Making the Bubble Bounce much faster.

-Allowing us to stick up to certain surfaces with the Bubble Bash.

-Having upgradable moves, like in the Spongebob Movie game.

-Making sliding faster, obvs.

-Giving the Bubble Spin a bit more horizontal momentum, to make long jumps a bit easier.

-Allowing Sandy to use her lasso on the Duplicatotron machines that spawn enemies.

-And while we’re at it, I think we let Sandy use karate combos as well.

This is all I can remember off the top of my head. As for other added content:

-The concept art showed enemies like fly robots, eel robots, a flying shark robot, a ghost, and even a giant Godzilla-esque robot. I hope we get those, along with completely new, original enemies.

-The joke in Patrick’s dream needs to stay, but I also wouldn’t mind the unused ice cream level coming home.

-Okay, most obvious need: more quests with Golden Spatulas and more socks to find.

-We need not only the unused costumes for Spongebob, but also other costumes for him, Patrick and Sandy.

-The roboticized people in the concept art need to be NPC’s.

-The robot list in the police building needs to include the bosses. When I was a kid, I was hoping for all three of them to show up at once after I beat the game, and what do we get instead?

Spoiler

Plankton. We don’t even fight him, like the back of the box implied.

0/10 WORST FALSE ADVERTISEMENT SINCE MUNDANE BEASTS AND WHERE NOT TO FIND THEM

-Oh, and Spongebob’s Dream needs a new theme. And for each and every segment. The ambush theme can just use the old theme for Spongebob’s Dream.

-And now that I think about it, so does Sand Mountain.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

There was also a planned Robo-Arms Spongebob fight: 

There's also an earlier version of Goo Lagoon with unused assets, and a few other things.

RoboBob MusclePants is terrifying.

Very excited to have more 3D platformers on the Switch as well as to see an unexpected game from my childhood based on a show I love to death get a much-needed HD makeover (lordy, that original game looks so dark these days) with all sorts of new bells and whistles. Here's hoping this Purple Lamp studio will do it justice and bring quality SpongeBob games back after Activision's disappointing stint with the license. (Judging by the fact that it doesn't even have a release date yet, we might be in good hands. If this was Activision, they'd rush it out for the Anniversary.)

One thing I'm really hoping for is for Clancy Brown to actually reprise Mr. Krabs in this version. Sure, he's a busy guy, so it's understandable that he wouldn't be available for EVERY game and Joe Whyte filled his shoes pretty well in the original version (better than when they made up for his absence by making Krabs a mute in Atlantis Squarepantis despite the fact that he's..., y'know, Krabs), but a part of the authenticity to the show was still obviously missing and this would be the perfect chance to make it right.

Also, another really cool thing that they can do if they redo the voice clips for most of the game is use Tim Conway's recordings from the original for Barnacle Boy's dialogue and then add a little dedication to him at the end. That'd be a nice tribute to his history with the show. (Don't know what they'd do about Mermaid Man, though, since he was played by Joe Whyte in the original instead of Ernest Borgnine and Barnacle Boy shares scenes with him. Maybe keep those clips as well despite that?) Of course, they might just change it so MM and BB are away and have different characters or robots or something assign the missions. (Kinda like how they've only made non-speaking cameos in the show following Ernest Borgnine's death out of respect.)

6 hours ago, Perkilator said:

And just look at all this concept art!

(I couldn’t find a hi-quality video of the art alone without talking. And I’d slap a picture but the software is stingier than Mr. Krabs.)

Anyways, some changes I hope they make are:

-Giving Patrick the cartwheel in case the levels call for it.

-Allowing Patrick to sneak past Sleepy-Times undetected in case he doesn’t have anything to throw

-Making the Bubble Bounce much faster.

-Allowing us to stick up to certain surfaces with the Bubble Bash.

-Having upgradable moves, like in the Spongebob Movie game.

-Making sliding faster, obvs.

-Giving the Bubble Spin a bit more horizontal momentum, to make long jumps a bit easier.

-Allowing Sandy to use her lasso on the Duplicatotron machines that spawn enemies.

-And while we’re at it, I think we let Sandy use karate combos as well.

This is all I can remember off the top of my head. As for other added content:

-The concept art showed enemies like fly robots, eel robots, a flying shark robot, a ghost, and even a giant Godzilla-esque robot. I hope we get those, along with completely new, original enemies.

-The joke in Patrick’s dream needs to stay, but I also wouldn’t mind the unused ice cream level coming home.

-Okay, most obvious need: more quests with Golden Spatulas and more socks to find.

-We need not only the unused costumes for Spongebob, but also other costumes for him, Patrick and Sandy.

-The roboticized people in the concept art need to be NPC’s.

-The robot list in the police building needs to include the bosses. When I was a kid, I was hoping for all three of them to show up at once after I beat the game, and what do we get instead?

Hide contents

Plankton. We don’t even fight him, like the back of the box implied.

0/10 WORST FALSE ADVERTISEMENT SINCE MUNDANE BEASTS AND WHERE NOT TO FIND THEM

-Oh, and Spongebob’s Dream needs a new theme. And for each and every segment. The ambush theme can just use the old theme for Spongebob’s Dream.

Robo Squidward needs to be a boss in this remake as well since he was cut from the original. 

1 hour ago, Johnny Boy said:

Robo Squidward needs to be a boss in this remake as well since he was cut from the original. 

Good news: the Steam page for the game directly says the boss fight's gonna be reimplemented.

• Thumbs Up 2

I'm definitely excited for this remake. It's my #1 Spongebob game, 2nd being the Movie game. And the fact that BfBB is getting remade with all the cut content & bosses is very exciting.

I even made an analyses video yesterday. Yes, it's my 1st Spongebob video and I'm going to continue to do them for this game like I did for Spyro Reignited and currently doing for CTR:NF.

https://constant-thinker.com/2019/06/05/spongebob-squarepants-battle-for-bikini-bottom-rehydrated-announced/

Now that I think about it, does anyone have every single quote from Spongebob, Patrick and Sandy for which robots each one of them encounters?

17 minutes ago, Perkilator said:

Now that I think about it, does anyone have every single quote from Spongebob, Patrick and Sandy for which robots each one of them encounters?

I believe so, since I've played the game that much.

2 minutes ago, Blueknight V2.0 said:

I believe so, since I've played the game that much.

Great! May I please see them?

Also, random thought: you think they may find a double for Brian-Doyle Murray to play the Flying Dutchman?

I can't jellyfish today, I'm going fishing for robots.

Tar tar sauce, the Horror!

Not as good as Texas BBQ sauce.

It's kind of hypnotic.

I don't get it.

For some reason I don't think he needs a hand.

Rain,rain, go away!

Now I'm going to get all wet.

Ham-Mer, I get it!

Terror in Triplicites!

I can't type all of them yet.

For the Flying Dutchman question. No. Doyle Murray has voiced the character since the start of the series, so I don't think they'd do that.

30 minutes ago, Blueknight V2.0 said:

I can't jellyfish today, I'm going fishing for robots.

Tar tar sauce, the Horror!

Not as good as Texas BBQ sauce.

It's kind of hypnotic.

I don't get it.

For some reason I don't think he needs a hand.

Rain,rain, go away!

Now I'm going to get all wet.

Ham-Mer, I get it!

Terror in Triplicites!

I can't type all of them yet.

For the Flying Dutchman question. No. Doyle Murray has voiced the character since the start of the series, so I don't think they'd do that.

Well, thanks for what you COULD type up. Will you have time to type MORE?

And Doyle Murray is welcome in my books for as long as he can still voice act.

• Thumbs Up 1

Maybe later I can. Agreed.

Edit: Not sure if you guys seen these, but these will get into the game as well. Since their considered cut content.

Then of course there's even cut content in the concept art section (theater).

• Thumbs Up 1

985608203_TweetswithrepliesbyTHQNordicE3(@THQNordic)_Twitter-GoogleChrome6_9_201912_43_42AM.png.327f428d04a1a867b1e1fa37f2e0ba26.png

So guys. Remember THQ Nordic wasn't going to E3 2019? Well, about that.

So that means we'll get a trailer or gameplay soon.

Edit: Here's a discussion I made about how the cut content could work in Rehydrated.

https://constant-thinker.com/2019/06/10/spongebob-battle-for-bikini-bottom-rehydrated-lets-discuss-the-cut-content/

• Thumbs Up 2

Since Crash Bandicoot remake , a lot of companies start making remakes and I'm glad THQ Nordic are one of them .

I've never played BFBB, and am only vaguely aware of it because of the cult following that it's picked up in recent years. A quick glance at the reviews on Metacritic tells me that it's a very by the numbers 3D platformer for its day, and isn't anything special, but also isn't bad either. And that alone puts it in high standing compared to other licensed games from back then. I'll watch this space, cause 3D platformers still haven't had much of a resurgence. But it almost feels a touch memetic that such a game is even getting a remaster. I dunno... My hopes aren't high. They're just totally neutral. 

21 minutes ago, Blue Blood said:

I've never played BFBB, and am only vaguely aware of it because of the cult following that it's picked up in recent years. A quick glance at the reviews on Metacritic tells me that it's a very by the numbers 3D platformer for its day, and isn't anything special, but also isn't bad either. And that alone puts it in high standing compared to other licensed games from back then. I'll watch this space, cause 3D platformers still haven't had much of a resurgence. But it almost feels a touch memetic that such a game is even getting a remaster. I dunno... My hopes aren't high. They're just totally neutral. 

Probably helped this game that spongebob memes have been the ever popular thing online for the past few years 

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, KHCast said:

Probably helped this game that spongebob memes have been the ever popular thing online for the past few years 

Yeah, exactly. It's a bit of meme cash-in. Not like they're making Meme Run 2 or even anything close to that, but Spongebob's profile has been raised a bit thanks to the memes and that's probably pushed up this game's profile.