Awoo.

SpongeBob Battle for Bikini Bottom remaster announced!

8ther

Don’t know if it was known before, but a Nintendo Newsletter revealed the release date, the game releases on May 24th.

That is WAY sooner than I was expecting given all we've seen is the first level and some concept art so far. Wonder if we'll get some fresh footage in the first general Direct of the year.

• 1 month later...

New multiplayer mode details - Squidward, Mr. Krabs and Plankton will all be playable, and there's a number of different arenas in the game.

Also, the multiplayer hoard mode seems to be where you end up fighting Robot Squidward after you take down the waves of enemies.

• Thumbs Up 1

We finally got some footage from further along than pre-Alpha! Looking gorgeous!

• Thumbs Up 2

A small note - I love how they retained being able to see the different levels inside certain levels. Already, you can see Downtown Bikini Bottom, Spongebob’s Neighbourhood, Goo Lagoon, and Sand Mountain from Jellyfish Fields.

• Thumbs Up 2

I'm not sure why they went with such loud colors for Jellyfish fields. The original was a lot duller and more subdued. It was easier on the eyes to look at and matched the show better to boot. I hope the entire game doesn't have changes like that.

They seem hesitant to show off much of the late game, which I usually read as a red flag. We'll see how it is when it releases. 

9 hours ago, Wraith said:

I'm not sure why they went with such loud colors for Jellyfish fields. The original was a lot duller and more subdued. It was easier on the eyes to look at and matched the show better to boot. I hope the entire game doesn't have changes like that.

They seem hesitant to show off much of the late game, which I usually read as a red flag. We'll see how it is when it releases. 

Personally, I'm interested in how they've handled Rock Bottom and Kelp Forest. If they played it smart with the lighting and colours, they could make it really immersive and a stark contrast from the rest of the game. If not, it could potentially ruin the atmosphere of both levels, especially Kelp Forest, since that's meant to be a bit more spooky, given it's based around the Flying Dutchman.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 4 weeks later...

Might not have made an appearance in the Direct Mini, but that doesn't mean some new Sponge stuff didn't pop up elsewhere! Courtesy of the Steam page for the game, we've got four brand new GIFs of gameplay that give us our very first look at Sandy as well as a boss and FINALLY non-Jellyfish-Fields levels!

joNO2LU.gif

JsAGx5Q.gif

V2lGLMz.gif

MLpRS48.gif

Also a bit of analysis of them from a speedrunner who helped out on the game's development a bit: 

Hope we start getting more official updates soon. Could really go for a gameplay trailer after all these nuggets thrown our way.

• 3 weeks later...

We finally got us a release date and gameplay trailer! Rehydrated will launch on June 23rd!

It's really cool seeing finalized Robo Squidward. 

Happy to finally hear a release date, was beginning to get worried it'd get delayed due to the pandemic.

This looks... meh. Not offensively bad or anything, but that's got to be one of the most boring trailers I've ever seen in my life. If it was my first impression of the game, I'd write it off straight away.

My in-depth analysis for all of today's info.

And also VTNVIVI's video going over today's reveal.

New trailer

(Yes, it's actually new and not the pre-order trailer)

My in-depth analysis of 15-More screenshots & the new trailer. This is starting to get tiring. XD.

• 2 weeks later...

New trailer showcasing Downtown Bikini Bottom, looks like these "The Battle is On" trailers might be a regular thing, and every level will receive a trailer.

• Thumbs Up 1

I've seen a few people asking about why people enjoy BfBB and the speedrunning scene in general - and luckily - one of the most prominent speedrunners - Shift - began a history series regarding it.

• 4 weeks later...

Trailer for Rock Bottom. Clancy Brown isn't in the game, you can hear Not-Clancy at the end of the trailer as Krabs.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

As expected, the devs have been putting in extra touches to the game that came long after the original release of the game in 2003. Including memes.

Spoiler

So far, both Spongebob and Patrick's "shock face" expressions from the movie are in the game as idle poses, Spongebob's chicken dancing that became a mockery meme is in as an idle pose, and even Handsome Squidward can be found among the paintings in Squidward's dream now.

• Thumbs Up 1

Picked up the game since it released at midnight on the PS Store here. Haven't played it much, since I'm still finishing up The Last of Us Part 2, but from what I've played thus far, it is a very faithful remaster of the original game. Physics and such are slightly off, but it's still an all-around fun experience. The new animations and visuals also go to show how much THQ Nordic and the team at Purple Lamp respected the history of not only Battle for Bikini Bottom, but Spongebob as a whole.

Will post more as I make my way through the game. I'm only half-way through Jellyfish Fields at the moment.

• 1 year later...

Just finished playing this thanks to it being on PS+ this month its a fairly decent platformer, not too challenging but does have the odd moment here and there later on that might slow you down for about 10 minutes. I'd say my only real negative issues is the frequent usage of a very limited pool of voice clips.

• Thumbs Up 1