Awoo.

Overwatch 2 - Releases October 4th - Make sure to confirm your OW1 accounts for merging before October 2nd!

Ryannumber1gamer

Source: https://kotaku.com/sources-blizzard-cancels-starcraft-first-person-shoote-1835285125

A pretty surprising leak to have happened today due to information coming out regarding a planned StarCraft shooter - the Starcraft game that was being made was ultimately cancelled, and the information regarding that has led to the information that Blizzard supposedly have two games currently in development right now. The first is Diablo 4, which was confirmed after the disaster that was Diablo Immortal's unveiling last year, and the other - and in my opinion - far more surprising - is Overwatch getting a sequel, and it'll be announced at Blizzcon 2019, which isn't shocking, considering how much backlash they got last time for not having a major announcement, and also fits with Overwatch's dev team getting a boost earlier this year. We also know that the sequel will have a large PvE component that's been compared to Left 4 Dead 2.

For those who don't know what Overwatch is (although I doubt it due to it being one of the largest multiplayer games right now) - it's a hero-based first person shooter where six players are placed together onto a team and use different characters in order to compose a winning offensive, or defensive team to meet a goal, let it be carrying a payload, or capturing points, or as you're more than likely to meet online - lots and lots of bad Snipers.

Anyways, what comes as the most surprising about this leak is the fact Overwatch was shown off as a long-time game, similar to something like Destiny, where instead of sequels, the game would be given free content updates, maps, and characters, as well as being supported through loot-boxes. Because of that, Overwatch still...honestly has a ton of problems, ones from launch, and even a lot now. The map selection and everything still feels relatively small and samey for what we've been given over the course of three years, and there's been a lot of issues in general that the game is getting heavily stale and repetitive, support is being drained from the game itself to focus on ESports, and a host of issues in regards to matchmaking and PvP. That's not including how long it's taken to get any story from the game, nor how it shipped without a single player mode.

What's also worrying about this is knowing how the original game was developed, compared to how it was treated after it made it big, and the fact that both Activision/Blizzard have admitted to not focusing on the game/playerbase as much (Just as little as two months ago, it was confirmed the long-awaited content update to the yearly PvE mode that everyone waited a year for ended up being so disappointing and bare bones because they only developed it in 3 months, and spent the rest of the time/money on ESports publicity). To say that a lot of people have a bad taste in their mouths with Overwatch at this point is an understatement.

Even myself, I've played since launch, still play now 3 years later, and it's still kind of weird to think of a second Overwatch. After how much progress and work I've put into the original, it's kind of hard to even know if I'd be bothered starting from scratch, especially with how burnt out I am with a game that still doesn't put out fixes for issues people have complained about for years at this point, and that's on top of the fact that all this is especially in a game that let's face it - Activision would almost definitely monetise the hell out of it from the very start, much like it did with Destiny 2 compared to Destiny 1.

What makes this stranger is that Blizzard just released the workshop mode that a lot of people have enjoyed, and have put tons of time into in order to make new modes and such. Granted, given the developmental time of the original, it could still be another two or so years away from release, so we could see support for the original dry-up more and more, or it could be a typical Activision affair and they rush it out. 

In terms of what I'd severely hope for this time around - probably port the maps from the original over, add a lot more maps, add a stable PvE mode instead of the yearly event we have right now, and for the love of God, please just give us a story mode because it sucks how long we have to keep waiting for anything lore related. Another theory currently floating around is that the original Overwatch will remain for the multiplayer side of things, while a sequel would actually be a story based PvE game.

In hindsight, porting to Overwatch 1 to Nintendo Switch now sounds like a very dickish, but plausible move for Blizzard to make in the wake of this.

There are three things I need from this.

1. A. Story. Mode.

2. For Blizz to have learned their gd lesson and not try to appease the comp scene's every last wish while investing all their time and resources into the effort.

3. For the love of god, keep Lucio in the game.

Though real talk, I do think that now's a good time for this. OW has been slowing down for a while now and a sequel is probably the easiest way to get people back on board. Gives them the opportunity to really update and fix things too. Especially with us going into the next generation of consoles and everything.

I also imagine that there'd still be at least 1-2 years of development time after it's announcement in November (much like the first game). It'd be cool if they focused the last year on events that gear up to whatever OW2 is.

Though honestly, I just really hope that they've learned a thing or two from OW and don't repeat the same mistakes. OW was, and is, at it's best when the objective is to have fun. Trying to win is vital as well, but I have and will continue to argue that it comes second to actually enjoying the game. Blizz fell away from that mindset hard once comp was introduced.

really tho, don't take away my frog boi plz

• Thumbs Up 1

What about the story, btw? 

6 minutes ago, Strickerx5 said:

3. For the love of god, keep Lucio in the game.

Oh yeah, what was that about? 

8 minutes ago, Strickerx5 said:

really tho, don't take away my frog boi plz

Who?

18 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

What about the story, btw? 

That's the thing, there wasn't really any. They tried to do the whole "the game is about the game and we'll release supplemental story material online throughout its lifespan" junk. Fast forward to now and over half the characters have barely any story to them outside of their initial bios, the world still feels as empty as ever, and even the in game story events are rushed out. I full on get wanting to keep that online solid but they really did let a lot of great characters and potential just fall by the wayside. There was no balance to it.

OW 2 needs to have a clear focus on narrative alongside solid pvp.

23 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

Who?

The best character in the game.

• Thumbs Up 2

10 minutes ago, Strickerx5 said:

That's the thing, there wasn't really any. They tried to do the whole "the game is about the game and we'll release supplemental story material online throughout its lifespan" junk. Fast forward to now and over half the characters have barely any story to them outside of their initial bios, the world still feels as empty as ever, and even the in game story events are rushed out. I full on get wanting to keep that online solid but they really did let a lot of great characters and potential just fall by the wayside. There was no balance to it.

OW 2 needs to have a clear focus on narrative alongside solid pvp..

Yeah, last time I checked, Sombra was trying to undermine Russia for her own agenda and Doomfist was about to start a war fresh from prison.

Now Hammond turn out to be a random Hamster among apes and McCree has an Archnemesis trying steal an AI with her robot butler. 

10 minutes ago, Strickerx5 said:

Oh yeah, he is from Rio. 

3 hours ago, DabigRG said:

Hey do you make a sequel to a game that is not only an online thing, but a constantly updated one?

Ask most companies with live services that also want annual sequels

10 hours ago, KHCast said:

Ask most companies with live services that also want annual sequels

...Huh?

A lot of people are speculating that the game in of itself won’t be a sequel to Overwatch but a spin off game that covers lore and story, this is due to comments stating that the PvE element would be similar to L4D2 and it being said that a whole new game would be needed with a new engine to better support PvE.

So people believe the core game will remain for PvP while the new game will be a co op PvE experience.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 4 months later...

More details got leaked, found this on Reddit and a few videos on YT. Leak comes from a well known streamer who leaked Ashe. That said, as always, take it with a grain of salt.

• OW2 is to be revealed during Blizzcon via a small cinematic
  • OW2 will be a full PvP and PvE experience. This means the original OW is likely gonna die, or go F2P.
  • Every hero has a levelling system that upgrades and alters abilities
  • Example given is Tracer upgrading her bombs to stick to multiple enemies

Source: 

2 hours ago, Ryannumber1Scarer said:

More details got leaked, found this on Reddit and a few videos on YT. Leak comes from a well known streamer who leaked Ashe. That said, as always, take it with a grain of salt.

• OW2 is to be revealed during Blizzcon via a small cinematic
  • OW2 will be a full PvP and PvE experience. This means the original OW is likely gonna die, or go F2P.

Source: 

Oh shoot, bad timing ahoy.

• Chuckle 1
  • My Emmerdoods 1

3 hours ago, Ryannumber1Scarer said:

If this is the case I'd be kinda bummed out.  I think a key part of why I love Overwatch but never stuck with TF2 or Splatoon is that all players are on equal grounds and only have skill deciding who wins or loses, not how much they've played the game (or spent money on it ugh).

Not so much an issue if it's just for PvE modes, but they better do a good job with that if they're going for it.  OW's last PvE event was pretty lame compared to previous ones.

And yet there isn’t a single mention of a campaign mode of sorts...

Yeaaaaah, looks like I’ll be skipping this one as well. I hate it when shooters are solely multiplayer affairs. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 10/19/2019 at 8:24 PM, Menace2Society said:

And yet there isn’t a single mention of a campaign mode of sorts...

Yeaaaaah, looks like I’ll be skipping this one as well. I hate it when shooters are solely multiplayer affairs. 

Wait, Overwatch had a campaign/singleplayer mode?

1 minute ago, DabigRG said:

Wait, Overwatch had a campaign/singleplayer mode?

No. He's saying there isn't a mention because it's something people wanted for a long time.

Another leak, three screenshots showing a new hero - Sojurn, one showing Tracer’s upgrade system, and a group shot. Tracer and Lucio have new designs.

Other rumours are flying around that the game will be entirely PvE based and PvP will be released on the original OW, which will be going F2P.

Can’t post it right now but it’s on the OW Reddit front page - the game is confirmed, someone managed to find a print of OW2 on Blizzard’s gear page.

I'm still at a loss for what the benefit is to a sequel to a hero shooter besides Activision's bank account.

23 minutes ago, Tornado said:

I'm still at a loss for what the benefit is to a sequel to a hero shooter besides Activision's bank account.

PvE, basically, it’s been well documented that the current engine doesn’t support PvE very well, and it’s why the seasonal PvE events supposedly take so long for Blizzard to develop. Many people have been wanting a PvE based lore game since they either grew tired of the PvP, or didn’t like it to begin with, and Blizzard have taken forever to show off new story after launch. The hero system also slots nicely into an upgrade system for a PvE based game.

Its also why the primary rumour floating around at the moment isn’t that it’s a literal OW2, but it’s going to be a supplementary game with a new engine to support PvE gameplay, and the original game will be retained as the primary PvP aspect of the game.

Overwatch 2 is officially confirmed! Overwatch is officially back together to fight back the arising armies of Null Sector, and Talon. Featuring a new story mode, co-op missions, new PvE modes and maps, and much more, OW2 looks like it's going to expand on the original and then some!

Details so far: 

• Story Mode where you combat the forces of Talon and Null Sector
  • Replayable Co-Op Hero Missions with teams of four heroes
  • A new upgrade system and level system for heroes
  • Customizable abilities
  • Upgraded engine
  • Two new heroes so far - Echo and Sojurn 
  • Four new maps 
  • A brand new PvP mode - Push

More important details - 

• OW2 seems to be a free upgrade for OW1 - OW1 and OW2 players will be able to play together, and all PvP modes, maps, and heroes will make their way to OW1. Possibly means that you pay to unlock the PvE, Story, and so on so forth.
  • Balance changes seem to be a thing - Lucio has 200hp now, and Rein has 400
  • Maps and modes from past events will be upgraded for OW2 - streams already showing the past Archives events being updated to have OW2's upgrade system
  • All cosmetics and your progress in OW1 will be transferable to OW2
  • All heroes will be getting redesigns

For now, the only detail there that's unsure is the upgrade for OW1. We don't know for sure it'll be a free upgrade, but we do know for sure all maps/modes/heroes will be featured in OW1, and that OW1 and OW2 players can play together.

Gameplay Reveal: 

Rio PvE mission:

(ignore the thumbnail, it's a mess up, but the video is the Rio mission)

Goddammit Blizzard, I really wanted to hate you for a bit longer after the Hong Kong stunt!

• Thumbs Up 2

I know about all the negative buzz around Blizzard lately, and it's for good reason, but... I still can't help but be interested in this.

I mean, a story that doesn't take several years to progress through supplementary material outside the game (not that I had much of a problem with it, but I know a lot of people did) and is actually its own mode? That's appealing to me as someone who's fairly invested in Overwatch's universe and lore. And consider me a fan of the idea of customizing your Hero's abilities to really make them your own.

I'll definitely follow this to see how it progresses.