Awoo.

Yooka-Laylee & the Impossible Lair

Sonictrainer

Yooka-Laylee and the Impossible Lair is coming to PlayStation 4!

Yooka & Laylee are back in a brand-new platform hybrid adventure! They must run, jump and roll their way through a series of challenging 2D levels, face a puzzling Overworld and rally the Royal Beettalion to take down Capital B and his Impossible Lair! 

Follow Team17 on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Team17Ltd
Like Team17 on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Team17/ 

About Team17 Digital Ltd
Founded in 1990, Team17 Digital Limited is a leading international games label that hosts the Worms franchise, Yooka-Laylee, The Escapists, Overcooked, Genesis: Alpha One, and many more from amazing developers around the world. Visit www.team17.com for more info

But why? YL was disappointing because of some questionable design choices, mainly ones to do with sticking too closely to the formula and mechanics of old collect-a-thons and not doing much to get with the times. Being a fully 3D platformer was one of the real highlights of the game, because the genre is so desserted these days. A 2D sequel feels more like conformity than addressin complaints. It's not what YL was ever sold on, and it's a real let down.

It looks like it could be an interesting change of pace.  But it doesn't look particularly GREAT as 2D platformers go.

I'm pumped! As much as I enjoyed Rare's 3D games--or at least the original Banjo-Kazooie, the original Donkey Kong Country trilogy was a masterpiece, and I'd love to see if Playtonic still has that masterful touch with 2D platformers. It's clear they're trying to appeal to the Donkey Kong Country fans with this; I mean heck, they even gave David Wise top billing in the music department instead of Kirkhope.

Really disappointing. The whole exciting point about Yooka-Laylee was it being a spiritual successor to Banjo-Kazooie. In fact, the worst part of the first game was the part where they were randomly emulating the DKC series (Kartos).

I prefer 3D platformers over 2D and 2D platformers are a dime a dozen, so this isn't really exciting. The top-down sections are a bit more so, but still not all too much.

I'm not saying I'll never get this. If it's cheap and I have some money left over, I might. But this isn't even half as exciting for me as the first.

This pat of the FAQ on their site gives me hope at least.

Is this a sequel to Yooka-Laylee?

No, Yooka-Laylee and the Impossible Lair isn’t a direct sequel. We’ve got lots planned for the future of the Yooka-Laylee universe, but we want to approach each with a fresh take, as each game is an opportunity for us to add new mechanics and gameplay that isn’t necessarily limited to what’s happened before.

https://www.playtonicgames.com/new-game-yooka-laylee-and-the-impossible-lair/

If this probable bomb doesn't turn them away from the series at least...

• Thumbs Up 1

I don't mind experimenting with the formula. It's also coming to the Switch but I don't know about the X-Box.

12 hours ago, DanJ86 said:

I don't mind experimenting with the formula. It's also coming to the Switch but I don't know about the X-Box.

It's on every major platform. 

It's not that they're experimenting with the formula so much as their doing something thats not what the major selling point of the original was, and I think that's a shame. If they're trying to make a game that harkens back to the original DKC games, then that's one thing and not bad on its own. But there are just so many 2D platformers and the DKC series had had two great instalments in recent years. 3D platformers are such a dying breed and YK was trying to breathe new life into them. It fumbled, but it was a valiant effort. I just dislike that this games kinda looks like it's dialling everything back.

I prefer the DKC formula to the Banjo one so I'm into this. 

The team having less to chew on looks like it'll lead to a more polished experience too. I'll keep an eye on it.

I am more into 2D gameplay then I am 3D gameplay overall... so I'll keep a eye on this! However the trailer makes it look kinda boring so far. Hopefully it has more interesting fun ideas going for it then currently shown off.

Devolving the series to 2D seems like a bit of a slap to the face of what the original fell short of. Its like they cringed at the reaction to the first game, and kind of retreated to their safe space.

Even if this sequel is done well and is a good game, I feel like its gonna get bogged down by the weight of what it could... and arguably should have been.

Think I'll pass on boarding the hype train for this one.