Awoo.

Tails' admiration of Sonic in SegaSonic canon

Blazey Firekitty

When Tails got his own solo game for the first time, the Western manuals stated that this was an adventure he had before meeting Sonic...However, the Japanese manual suggests that the game takes place before he ever met Sonic.

So, that would mean that Tails has been fighting villains and being a hero in his own right(And building amazing inventions in the process) since long before he started following Sonic around.

My question is...In SatAM, Archie, and Fleetway, and to a lesser extent Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog, Tails was always portrayed as the somewhat inept kid who was still learning to be a hero, and thus naturally had some self-esteem issues.

The thing is, he still seems to have said confidence issues in Segasonic...for no apparent reason, since he was an independent hero in the first place.

So, what reason does Tails have to "admire" Sonic in the games? Maybe it's not Sonic's skill he admires, but his carefree lifestyle?

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Frozen Nitrogen

• Blazey Firekitty

• batson

• redmenace

Top Posters In This Topic

*SPOILERS*

I thought Tails's admiration of Sonic was mainly because of Sonic's speed. At least that's the impression I got from the Game Gear Sonic 2's ending and his flashback in SA (which, now that I think about it, may have been a 3D version of the same scene).

Edited by Icecoldfrieza

It's obviously because he simply has a major crush on Sonic <3 *Shot*

So, what reason does Tails have to "admire" Sonic in the games? Maybe it's not Sonic's skill he admires, but his carefree lifestyle?

What reason doesn't he have to admire him? Everyone in Sonic's world loves Sonic. Eh saves animals from enslavement, and doesn't afraid of anything.

Plus, the Death Egg is slightly more ominous than Wendy Witchkart. The fact that Tails could take on one senile old woman on his own does not necessarily translate into "being as skilled at adventuring as Sonic".

Everyone in Sonic's world loves Sonic.

This too. Sonic is admired by almost every character in the series- By his friends, acquaintances, and even his archenemy Eggman.

Sonic's just really highly respected within his series as a whole.

what game do you mean Tails Adventures?

Yeah, that one, on the Game Gear.^^

This.

For srs. Case closed! :D

That actually reminds me, Tails was using the Piko Piko hammer before Amy did. Make of that what you will. :lol:

When did he do that?

Tails Adventure on the Game Gear. Same game where he's lobbing bombs at everyone.XD

My question is...In SatAM, Archie, and Fleetway, and to a lesser extent Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog, Tails was always portrayed as the somewhat inept kid who was still learning to be a hero, and thus naturally had some self-esteem issues.

From what I remember of STC, Tails was somewhat incompetent and a coward, who always ended up saving the day by some miraculous fluke or in some inane way that was mere luck. That depiction reminds me of a very weak version of Rincewind from Discworld, though that one only wanted peace and quiet, not being a hero.

From what I remember of STC, Tails was somewhat incompetent and a coward

Yeah, that comic had somewhat unpleasant (albeit complex) characterizations for pretty much all of the major game characters, most of whom had some fundamental personality flaw not found in other continuities. Like how Knuckles obsession with guarding the ME and keeping Angel Island in the air had undertones of obsessive-complusiveness, to the point where he didn't even wanted to live anymore when it the Island fell, or how Sonic was an anti-social jerk who took delight in mentally abusing Tails any way he could.

Yeah, that comic had somewhat unpleasant (albeit complex) characterizations for pretty much all of the major game characters, most of whom had some fundamental personality flaw not found in other continuities. Like how Knuckles obsession with guarding the ME and keeping Angel Island in the air had undertones of obsessive-complusiveness, to the point where he didn't even wanted to live anymore when it the Island fell, or how Sonic was an anti-social jerk who took delight in mentally abusing Tails any way he could.

And it was all BRILLIANT. Robotnik really went for his genocides back then, too. XD

In a cross-thread way of thinking, it might well be that Amy was the most sane of the STC characters. Z0MG INVERSION.

In a cross-thread way of thinking, it might well be that Amy was the most sane of the STC characters. Z0MG INVERSION.

Yeah, i was just thinking that. She was probably the only game character in the comic with a less flawed personality than her game counterpart, as she was pretty much just a brave, compassionate hero (and an extra applaude goes out to her for being the one who saved Knuckles from ending his life by staying behind on the doomed Angel Island, by knocking him out with a lead-pipe and dragging to safety).

And it was all BRILLIANT. Robotnik really went for his genocides back then, too. XD

That comic was so good. Sure it had flaws but damn was it entertaining. No silly soap opera either.

That comic was so good. Sure it had flaws but damn was it entertaining. No silly soap opera either.

I'd actually forgotten how great it was. But when I went to Summer of Sonic, and Dobbyn & Kitching had their original art pages out for sale and display, I was all "WOAH. This was brilliant."

And yeah, it never devolved into angsty-love-triangles all over the place. Just Robotnik being a magnificent bastard all over the place, and the heroes blowing stuff up.

[/britfag nostalgia]