Awoo.

PSO2, Now on PC and Xbox One

SonicLegends

Glad its coming out. Can not wait. Will be the first game I play announced at e3 I play in 2020 XD

Regardless of the catch, this is amazing news. I've managed to play Japanese PSO2 on my laptop with an English patch.

Even if this game is only available in the west, it will be much easier for everyone to play it now. And seeing how SEGA themselves understand our frustration, I can't imagine it's going to stay in the west only for long.

Eh, I’ll wait to get excited until it launches on PS4/Switch in the West. Not a fan of then pulling another Tomb Raider on us

Switch I can see. Not so much for ps4 west wise. Universe was the last big game in the west and the ps version ran worse than they xbox version in all regards. I do not blame them for going xbox stateside.  For them to come to MS they must really trust them with their work with them on psu or got one large check. It said crossplay but im sure that is tied to pc and maybe switch but I wont hold my breath for those announcements anytime soon. Maybe swtich around november is not revealed at their game treehouse thing.

Can not wait to blare this as soon as it drops either

The Japanese game market is a lot larger on PlayStation, especially when comparing to the Xbox One, so it would be a baffling omission. It’s already on PS4 in Japan anyways. 

I'm genuinely perplexed by this. When I left PSO2 it was in such a weird state that just kept getting weirder and weirder as the months went by and unless this version becomes a completely different game I can't really see myself getting back into it.

Spoiler

I can tell the way the game "eases" you into it if you are a new player by jumping you straight into the latest episode (unless you tell them not to) is going to confuse A LOT of people.

And I'm pretty sure most of the people who were eagerly awaiting for this version are the kind of peeps that have a lot of nostalgia for PSO1.

Spoiler

In which case I feel really sorry for those guys. PSO2 gets really stupid after Episode 3, and some people even argue Episode 3 itself was pretty dumb.

We might have a reason why the localization is only in the west at the moment.

3 minutes ago, Detective Kaito said:

We might have a reason why the game is only EU at the moment.

I knew it, it was that or the licencing hell that are those microtransactions (Dead or Alive amount of cosmetics, most of which are Crossovers).

In Japan PSO2's way of acquiring cosmetics are either:

1) By playing a scratch for a chance at the cosmetic you want (with an extra expensive scratch that gives you a bigger chance)

2) By paying a stupid amount of Meseta to other players selling you said cosmetics at the price of their choosing.

• Thumbs Up 1

They'd also be picking a really bad time to release in the US without reworking how the F2P elements work, because of the anti-loot box bill on its way through Congress.

Though, the licensing stuff isn't gonna be that much of an issue if the Phantasy Star Portable games managed to do it. I'm really just interested in the Fate cosmetics, and they made into the Portables just fine.

Though, I'm wondering if there's gonna be JP account transfers or do we have to start all over again.

• Thumbs Up 1

I highly doubt the "transactions" in game will do much since it is a F2P game. Honestly its amazing how much EA ruined things like this in games to begin with. Cause honestly no one in the pso2 community has ever complained about them being in game. And usually within the first week of new items you will see most the main lobbies full of players using said new gear and cosmetics.  But that makes sense why europes not getting it right away. at the worst what they will do is remove any collab content most likely or bundle them so you know what your getting but expect to "pay for it"

I know some keep saying why not ps4 when its already on it in japan. I understand a big anime market on the system but Sony NA had nearly 7 years to bring it stateside. The fact they never did to me says they did not care. Its nice to see MS save the project after so many years. Its bascially almost the same situation of bayonetta 2. Nintendo saved it

Wait what am I talking about >.> I know the reason sony did not bring it here. I knew ruby before he started officially working with Sega and remember why he said it could not come over. That and another old GM in sega. God I miss the sega forum days.

11 hours ago, Meta77 said:

I highly doubt the "transactions" in game will do much since it is a F2P game. Honestly its amazing how much EA ruined things like this in games to begin with. Cause honestly no one in the pso2 community has ever complained about them being in game.

Well I obviously can't speak for everyone but in my groups during the beginning of the game ARKS scratch wasn't really that liked to begin with, but we accepted it because "boy, Japan sure loves gambling huh?" and of course why would we complain about our host's rules when we were playing there uninvited to begin with? But (in my mind destroyed by years of video games) I can clearly remember one of the more usual responses to the question of "Why isn't PSO2 coming to the West?" was that SEGA was probably going to try to address this microtransaction method and make it more approachable to our audience (later on the answer became the stupid amount of crossovers and the licencing hell that comes with it, as a matter of fact there are some particular collabs that I genuinely have no idea how they managed to get them over here). Of course, the people who stayed on the Japanese servers for some years obviously didn't care that much about it, and the way SEGA handled the system is... tolerable (those 30% boosters tho, those layered costumes tho)... so the lack of complaints about the system makes sense to me.

But you are right about the game being F2P and because of it we could see ARKS Scratch make its debut over here without too much fuzz... Or so would have been the case if it weren't because now the USA is also getting into the lootbox case.

• Thumbs Up 1

So, let's get some things out of the way.

"Why is PSO2 exclusively on X1 and maybe Windows Store for W10?"

The game is being powered by Azure's servers, so MS is footing the bill on the game. We may see a Switch Cloud version like the one in Japan in the future, but I doubt PS4 will get it not because MS isn't playing fair, but because Sony is being REALLY censor-happy with Japanese games and PSO2 has plenty of questionable cosmetics (idk how bad FF14 gets on that). Also, Azure is NOT just a Cloud based service. It's also a server service, so the game is not being streamed on X1 or PC.

"Why is it not coming to the EU/other Western markets?"

The website clearly states the game is DEBUTING in North America. There's a lot of possibilities for why this is. I don't think its the collab stuff honestly. MS has deep as fuck pockets for one, and I think they may be able to work things out with the various companies. The main issue is most likely the lootbox laws that are being pushed or already in effect like Kaito pointed at. Maybe something will change with that, but otherwise that may be the reason.

"What do I do if I'm not located in NA?"

So, PSO2's online is different compared to other MMOs. The lobby is your typical server. If you're playing on the JP server, the lobby is laggy as hell for seeing other players. When you go into a mission though, the game becomes Peer to Peer. I don't think you'll have issues playing the NA server in this case, especially if there's enough Ships (servers/lobbies) to where a location can make that their temporary home like how Ship2 in JP is the WW server unofficially.

• Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, PSI Wind said:

So, let's get some things out of the way.

"Why is PSO2 exclusively on X1 and maybe Windows Store for W10?"

The game is being powered by Azure's servers, so MS is footing the bill on the game. We may see a Switch Cloud version like the one in Japan in the future, but I doubt PS4 will get it not because MS isn't playing fair, but because Sony is being REALLY censor-happy with Japanese games and PSO2 has plenty of questionable cosmetics (idk how bad FF14 gets on that). Also, Azure is NOT just a Cloud based service. It's also a server service, so the game is not being streamed on X1 or PC.

"Why is it not coming to the EU/other Western markets?"

The website clearly states the game is DEBUTING in North America. There's a lot of possibilities for why this is. I don't think its the collab stuff honestly. MS has deep as fuck pockets for one, and I think they may be able to work things out with the various companies. The main issue is most likely the lootbox laws that are being pushed or already in effect like Kaito pointed at. Maybe something will change with that, but otherwise that may be the reason.

So, PSO2's online is different compared to other MMOs. The lobby is your typical server. If you're playing on the JP server, the lobby is laggy as hell for seeing other players. When you go into a mission though, the game becomes Peer to Peer. I don't think you'll have issues playing the NA server in this case, especially if there's enough Ships (servers/lobbies) to where a location can make that their temporary home like how Ship2 in JP is the WW server unofficially.

Someone did some fucking homework.  Thank you. A lot don't understand that first point especially

3 hours ago, PSI Wind said:

It's all a matter of how restrictive they are about the (I sound like a broken record) Microtransactions. The Japanese server was pretty restrictive about what kind of payments they took for and from where they did it (it just happens that the western fandom was crafty enough to get through all the blocks they put, and later we had that mobile app).

I assume a NA version would be a lot more welcoming (probably using paypal and whatnot) and hopefully this will be a non issue for people outside of the region besides the hurdles of having to get an Xbox account from another country.

3 hours ago, PSI Wind said:

doubt PS4 will get it not because MS isn't playing fair, but because Sony is being REALLY censor-happy with Japanese games and PSO2 has plenty of questionable cosmetics (idk how bad FF14 gets on that). Also, Azure is NOT just a Cloud based service. It's also a server service, so the game is not being streamed on X1 or PC.

This all still seems speculative, so I’d prefer to still get a official word on their decision with this. I’d hope if the demand was large enough, they’d try to work something out at least, especially if it’s the only system that ends up getting  left out in the West. Also given the PlayStation is usually known for its Japanese game library, how picky are they in that regards to censoring?(also quite funny when you consider they allow shit like life of black tiger and very sexual themed anime puzzle games on their system.) I can’t imagine they’re supper picky regarding microtransactions given warframe, call of duty, Overwatch, etc are all popular on the system.

That was sony of 2017 this is sony of 2019 and beyond. Sony has a internal policy now that restricts a lot of content that is sexual going forward. https://boundingintocomics.com/2019/04/23/sony-confirms-existence-of-strict-content-censorship-policy-regarding-playstation-4-releases/

Just one article. I do not feel like linking a lot as I got classwork to do before the square show. But some of the costumes and characters I am sure sony will step in to try to censor. Nintendo has a better chance of getting the game honestly.  As the game has a lot of posters and outfits that can be questionable for sonys taste now.

I'd like to add that PSO2 is already available for the PS4, but it's the Japanese version.

As for my guesses as to why the English version isn't coming on PS4, I'm going to assume it was just an agreement between MS and SEGA since the latter didn't seem to be very interested into bringing the game over here.

8 hours ago, gato said:

It's all a matter of how restrictive they are about the (I sound like a broken record) Microtransactions. The Japanese server was pretty restrictive about what kind of payments they took for and from where they did it (it just happens that the western fandom was crafty enough to get through all the blocks they put, and later we had that mobile app).

I assume a NA version would be a lot more welcoming (probably using paypal and whatnot) and hopefully this will be a non issue for people outside of the region besides the hurdles of having to get an Xbox account from another country.

It'll probably just be through Microsoft like buying anything else on xbox. so cross region purchases will need pre paid giftcards

8 hours ago, KHCast said:

This all still seems speculative, so I’d prefer to still get a official word on their decision with this. I’d hope if the demand was large enough, they’d try to work something out at least, especially if it’s the only system that ends up getting  left out in the West. Also given the PlayStation is usually known for its Japanese game library, how picky are they in that regards to censoring?(also quite funny when you consider they allow shit like life of black tiger and very sexual themed anime puzzle games on their system.) I can’t imagine they’re supper picky regarding microtransactions given warframe, call of duty, Overwatch, etc are all popular on the system.

Extremely picky. Senran Kagura, shit like Omega Labrythinth (titty dungeon crawler), DMC5, etc all have been hit lately in the last year. it's random that they suddenly care but they do.

I'm really interested as to what this release will be like. I feel like the Japanese version is kind of a fucking mess for new players coming on ATM so I wonder if they'll do some kind of rebalancing to the new player progression. There's also the crappy costume gatcha that will surely need to be better/different because the JP one is pretty shitty. SEGA probably not willing to alter that much though so I will imagine it will just be a snapshot of whatever era of JP PSO2 they choose.

TBH if it's relatively up to date with the japanese version it'll already be ahead of psu in my books.

• Thumbs Up 2

I do get the feeling that "all the content" is being used in very broad strokes, i.e. all the MAJOR content will be there gameplay-wise but not necessarily every item/cosmetic etc.

I could see them using the new release as an opportunity to clean up the game and remove all the old shit (for example NT weapons will be the only weapons etc).

But there is a lot of stuff that'll just be plain WEIRD to port over unchanged.  Like being a new player and being encouraged to start at episode 3 of the story rather than episode 1 for gameplay purposes because the overall game has slightly moved on from the earlier content gameplay/presentation-wise doesn't seem that strange, but doing so in a game that has just come out is pretty weird.  But they might still want to do it to make a strong first impression etc, since the cut-scenes in the early game were absolute crap, their animation improves considerably as time goes on (though there's still way, WAY too much of characters standing around talking when they should really be fighting lol).

I also wonder how they'll pace out stuff like emergency quests. Since a lot of them serve as "final bosses" for pivitol single player story points, it made sense for them to show up for the first time around the time that the related story chapter released in original context, and for repeat plays to just cycle around every now and then (alongside remixed versions of said bosses). I wonder how they'll structure that here, where everyone will be making their way through 7 years' worth of single player content at a varied pace and may not have any idea what the context is for all these big random boss battles.  Granted, due to the slow pace of the english translation, that's exactly how it was for me playing the JP version and it didn't affect my enjoyment that much, but again, I KNEW I was late to the party. A whole wave of new players won't know that.

• My Emmerdoods 1

6 hours ago, Remy said:

I feel like the Japanese version is kind of a fucking mess for new players coming on ATM

I left the game before EP5 even started so feel free to correct me if I'm wrong about anything. But as far as I remember it went like this:

Ep1 and 2: Normal progression, clear the tutorial and then you meet plot relevant characters just by exploring the lobby (you can be unfortunate enough to miss them for while but that's unlikely) and then you are given your missions and what to do about them, you play the story at your own pace.

Ep3: Kinda odd, you are given the choice if you want to start right from EP3 and get the new stuff or if you want to progress through EP1 and 2 normally. The weird thing is that if you chose to start on 3 you miss on the tutorial or you jump from EP1's tutorial to a point way too advanced (can't really remember).

Ep4: You make the character and you are already on the command room with a lot of people you don't know about treating you like their lifelong friend talking about facts you know nothing about because your character became amnesiac after being put into stasis following THE HAPPENINGS. Then you are dumped straight into a mission and you have to go through EP4's first chapters and after most of the relevant characters are introduced THEN you are given the choice if you want to keep going or go back to find out what the hell you did in the last years. I'm pretty sure at this point the tutorial is gone.

I imagine EP5 is similar? (I wonder how did they pull skipping EP4)

Spoiler

Irrelevant as EP4 turned out to be at the end...

On 6/9/2019 at 6:27 PM, KHCast said:

Eh, I’ll wait to get excited until it launches on PS4/Switch in the West. Not a fan of then pulling another Tomb Raider on us

It’s using Microsoft Azure so you may need to wait a bit. It’s not too hard to run on any PC these days, though.

22 hours ago, JezMM said:

I also wonder how they'll pace out stuff like emergency quests. Since a lot of them serve as "final bosses" for pivitol single player story points, it made sense for them to show up for the first time around the time that the related story chapter released in original context, and for repeat plays to just cycle around every now and then (alongside remixed versions of said bosses). I wonder how they'll structure that here, where everyone will be making their way through 7 years' worth of single player content at a varied pace and may not have any idea what the context is for all these big random boss battles.  Granted, due to the slow pace of the english translation, that's exactly how it was for me playing the JP version and it didn't affect my enjoyment that much, but again, I KNEW I was late to the party. A whole wave of new players won't know that.

ijsdIjP.jpg

That's... right...

I know for a fact if content is up to date some of the bosses became outright obsolete since they were replaced with shinier purple-ier variants of them and those carry none of the context of their first appearances. Also if they want to keep the game up to date some of those quests should not show up at all (because people will want to farm for the most powerful item instead of an Elder Rod).

A solution to this would be to make the old EQs regular quests that people can replay (maybe add a bit of a level to the boss only quests?) while keeping the new and shiny items on the weekly farm loop, new players would still be out of the loop but they'd be able to catch up.

But that sounds like effort. _(:3」∠)_ 

• Thumbs Up 1